2012-2013 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

Congrats to all those accepted. For those on the waitlist, don't lose hope yet. There is still time and God works in mysterious ways. As you all know from my previous posts, I just finished my first year at Meharry, so I am officially a second year now. We are all required to do summer research after the first year, and some of us go out of town (myself included) to do this, so you guys will not meet all the second years until we come back in August.
I know it is such an exciting time and rightfully so, but get some rest you can before you go to Nashville. If you have any questions, I will try my best to assist you. Good luck with MAPS and don't sweat the small stuff.
 
Hi guys,

Congrats to all those accepted. For those on the waitlist, don't lose hope yet. There is still time and God works in mysterious ways. As you all know from my previous posts, I just finished my first year at Meharry, so I am officially a second year now. We are all required to do summer research after the first year, and some of us go out of town (myself included) to do this, so you guys will not meet all the second years until we come back in August.
I know it is such an exciting time and rightfully so, but get some rest you can before you go to Nashville. If you have any questions, I will try my best to assist you. Good luck with MAPS and don't sweat the small stuff.

Thank you for your kind words, needed that encouragement this morning! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

Congrats to all those accepted. For those on the waitlist, don't lose hope yet. There is still time and God works in mysterious ways. As you all know from my previous posts, I just finished my first year at Meharry, so I am officially a second year now. We are all required to do summer research after the first year, and some of us go out of town (myself included) to do this, so you guys will not meet all the second years until we come back in August.
I know it is such an exciting time and rightfully so, but get some rest you can before you go to Nashville. If you have any questions, I will try my best to assist you. Good luck with MAPS and don't sweat the small stuff.

How long is your summer "break" before research and how long is research? Is it as demanding as classes or could you actually relax during the summer?
 
I think I am releasing my spot. I was accepted at another school I was about equally impressed with and I think having an extra couple months to move my entire life might be the best for myself and kids. So for those of you still waiting there is still hope.
 
I think I am releasing my spot. I was accepted at another school I was about equally impressed with and I think having an extra couple months to move my entire life might be the best for myself and kids. So for those of you still waiting there is still hope.
O wow. I was so excited for you but am glad you gave us this update. Good luck with everything!!
 
I think I am releasing my spot. I was accepted at another school I was about equally impressed with and I think having an extra couple months to move my entire life might be the best for myself and kids. So for those of you still waiting there is still hope.

Are u instate or out of state?
 
There really isn't a summer break. Our last exam was on May 24th. I had a week to relax and then started my summer research program June 3rd which was yesterday. My program which is structured ends July 31st, then 2nd year classes start the following week. Summer research is not as demanding as classes because you are not studying to take exams every few weeks. Also, how much you relax is program dependent. Hope this helps.

How long is your summer "break" before research and how long is research? Is it as demanding as classes or could you actually relax during the summer?
 
There really isn't a summer break. Our last exam was on May 24th. I had a week to relax and then started my summer research program June 3rd which was yesterday. My program which is structured ends July 31st, then 2nd year classes start the following week. Summer research is not as demanding as classes because you are not studying to take exams every few weeks. Also, how much you relax is program dependent. Hope this helps.

Thanks that helps a lot! How about spring break? My family wants to have a week trip of some sort and is thinking spring break if we can relax during that week and not have to study.
 
You get a week off for spring break, so you can plan your vacation then, but we had block exams the Friday after we came back from Spring break. People still took trips to Jamaica, Miami and what not, so you can as well.

Thanks that helps a lot! How about spring break? My family wants to have a week trip of some sort and is thinking spring break if we can relax during that week and not have to study.
 
Hello all.....If anybody is sitting on an acceptance and is unsure about attending Meharry, please make your decisions quickly so people who are ready to make the move can take all the necessary steps in a timely manner as we are getting down to the wire.....I do understand it is a big decision to make for some.

I emailed Mr. Lee today, the director of admissions, and asked if we (people on the waiting list) should be hitting the panic button yet. He said as of now, the class is full and that they are waiting for people to give up their seats...He said it is an atypical year in regards to not having that much wait-list movement. He also said that although our email said June 15th, that we really have until June 24th, the first day of classes, to hear something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello all.....if anybody is sitting on an acceptance and is unsure about attending meharry, please make your decisions quickly so people who are ready to make the move can take all the necessary steps in a timely manner as we are getting down to the wire.....i do understand it is a big decision to make for some.

I emailed mr. Lee today, the director of admissions, and asked if we (people on the waiting list) should be hitting the panic button yet. He said as of now, the class is full and that they are waiting for people to give up their seats...he said it is an atypical year in regards to not having that much wait-list movement. He also said that although our email said june 15th, that we really have until june 24th, the first day of classes, to hear something.

+1
 
What's a good mcat score for this school?

The adcom looks at MCAT, GPA, healthcare experience, community service, willingness to help underserved community, personality etc... to determine if an applicant is best fit to their school. I got 31 and luckily to get off the waitlist. My friend got 30 and he is still on the waitlist. So it is not all about MCAT score. Apply here if you feel you are best fit to the school and its mission. Good luck.
 
Hi everyone! As exited as I was to attend Meharry and meet all of you, I was accepted to my top choice school today and will be matriculating there. I have already withdrawn my Meharry acceptance to give whoever gets my spot as much time as possible to get set up. I wish everyone who is still waiting the best of luck!
 
Hi everyone! As exited as I was to attend Meharry and meet all of you, I was accepted to my top choice school today and will be matriculating there. I have already withdrawn my Meharry acceptance to give whoever gets my spot as much time as possible to get set up. I wish everyone who is still waiting the best of luck!

Congratulation. TMC is owesome and you will love it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I deferred my meharry admissions for next year. I was awarded some merit-based scholarship, so I was wondering if anyone here knows if the scholarship will roll over to next year. Thanks for any info.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.