2012-2013 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats, I know someone else who was accepted today from the top 10%...! I hope this is not bad news for the rest on the list!
I think you shouldn't worry, just be annoyed that its taking so long!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if they are accepting 10%ers based upon who has been in that group the longest. As I recall you interviewed in Jan. right?

I interviewed Jan 28th, top 10% Feb 12th, accepted via email May 2nd. In the acceptance email you have 14 days to respond and send $300 deposit. So may deadline is May 16th. But, I already said yes and check is on its way!

I wonder if they are accepting 10%ers based upon who has been in that group the longest. As I recall you interviewed in Jan. right?
Nope, the other person interviewed on Feb 25th and was waitlisted around March 3rd.

Nope, they try to match the class...man for man, woman for woman, similar grades and experiences. They want the right CLASS.

From what I read they don't go by chronological order, it's based off who next best fits in the class they are trying to make.

Sent from my Galaxy Note with Tapatalk

From what I read they don't go by chronological order, it's based off who next best fits in the class they are trying to make.

Hopefully they confine their choosing to the top 10% list only though until it is exhausted...!

I'm sure that's what they're doing. If they're not, why make a separate 10 percent WL at all?

Another week has passed and another weekend to wait - A good amount of people just joined the Meharry facebook group. More of a rhetorical question, but what is going on here?!

That's interesting. How many people have joined the FB group since you last checked?

That's interesting. How many people have joined the FB group since you last checked?

Yes..."interesting"....with a hint of "disconcerting" - but around 7 or 8.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, a couple of people asked if I sent Meharry a LOI. I sent a LOI April 8th, I wanted to do this right before the deadline assuming admissions at that time was mostly receiving bad emails/letters. In my letter, I told them why I wanted to go there, and if offered a position I would go. I don't know if this helped, but I am in!

Hey guys, a couple of people asked if I sent Meharry a LOI. I sent a LOI April 8th, I wanted to do this right before the deadline assuming admissions at that time was mostly receiving bad emails/letters. In my letter, I told them why I wanted to go there, and if offered a position I would go. I don't know if this helped, but I am in!
Accepted off the 10% list as well.....I did not send a LOI so if you havent so far dont fret about it..Although it couldnt hurt to send one now....

Accepted off the 10% list as well.....I did not send a LOI so if you havent so far dont fret about it..Although it couldnt hurt to send one now....

Did you just find out this Thursday also?

Hi, I am looking for a roommate , I have been looking aggressively for a spot and I am now considering a roommate to bring the prices down. I am thinking bellevue area but i am open to different suggestions. Please Pm me if you are interested.

Question: For those of you who were accepted right out of the gate and confirmed admittance and received your official offer letter from the dean, what is in the health examination and medical form? Is it simply a drug test and physical that we have to have done and then forward the results to Meharry? Also, did you contact your schools attended separately from the AMCAS process and forward your transcripts to Meharry?

The language in the email isn't quite clear. I know the forms will come at a later date for me, but I am assuming some people on here have already received their packet?

Will we hear something this week is what I am most thinking about.

Will we hear something this week is what I am most thinking about.

Hope you are right. My feeling that we will hear next week or next two weeks after miracle date (May 15) has passed. We never know and we might hear some good news today...Good luck to our fellow wait-listers. I am tired of being asked by friends and relative about my status at Meharry's waitlist.

Question: For those of you who were accepted right out of the gate and confirmed admittance and received your official offer letter from the dean, what is in the health examination and medical form? Is it simply a drug test and physical that we have to have done and then forward the results to Meharry? Also, did you contact your schools attended separately from the AMCAS process and forward your transcripts to Meharry?

The language in the email isn't quite clear. I know the forms will come at a later date for me, but I am assuming some people on here have already received their packet?

Yes, you have to have your transcripts sent directly to Meharry. AMCAS does not send them. Also, the health form seems pretty standard with physical, vaccinations, etc. to be completed and sent. Hope that answers your questions.

Hope you are right. My feeling that we will hear next week or next two weeks after miracle date (May 15) has passed. We never know and we might hear some good news today...Good luck to our fellow wait-listers. I am tired of being asked by friends and relative about my status at Meharry's waitlist.
Yeah I no longer want to be asked by people what my status is - It is time already to get accepted...truly is time.

How is everyone on the top 10% feeling - Do you still feel like we are going to get in or are you starting to feel like this is an outlier year that will end in, well you know lol ?

I think we still have time/room to be accepted. I'm sure we will see more changes after may 15 when everyone else has WL movement.

I think we still have time/room to be accepted. I'm sure we will see more changes after may 15 when everyone else has WL movement.

I agree. Top 10% waitlisters did not hear anything until May on 2010-2011 thread and at least one of top 10% waitlisters on SDN did not make it (SDN username is HavetobeaDoc). However, all top 10% SDN waitlisters from last year thread got in around middle of April and some of regular waitlisters also got in after that. Therefore, I don't think it is an outlier and we just face a tough year. I think the adcom already ranked top 10% waitlisters and our fate is sealed at this time. All we can do is to pray and working on to improve our app for the next cycle. I am not discourage anyone but it is better to prepare for a worst case scenario.

I agree. Top 10% waitlisters did not hear anything until May on 2010-2011 thread and at least one of top 10% waitlisters on SDN did not make it (SDN username is HavetobeaDoc). However, all top 10% SDN waitlisters from last year thread got in around middle of April and some of regular waitlisters also got in after that. Therefore, I don't think it is an outlier and we just face a tough year. I think the adcom already ranked top 10% waitlisters and our fate is sealed at this time. All we can do is to pray and working on to improve our app for the next cycle. I am not discourage anyone but it is better to prepare for a worst case scenario.
That does not make sense because a few of us were told that ALL were accepted in years past from the top 10% list.

Is anyone withdrew or planning to withdraw your acceptance at Meharry before May 15?

Hey guys, I was accepted to MMC last week, May 2nd off the top 10% waitlist. I haven't received an email about a criminal background check that I've heard some people get so I'm not sure what the deal is.
I've already accepted my position and will be sending in my deposit tomorrow. GL to everyone waiting and congrats to those that have been accepted

I also haven't received a CBC email yet. But I am not worried bc I already sent them my $300 deposit and written confirmation of acceptance/attending. I also scheduled my apt with my PC for May 15th so I can send my health screening/questionnaire!

Any thought on when they would send out another batch of acceptance to the top 10% waitlisters. I feel it is coming...either today afternoon or this Friday or next Monday. I hope the adcom send out acceptance as soon as the spot is become available so we would have more time to prepare for the move. I have been searching for a house in Nashville for a while but couldn't make any decision yet because I am just a "wailister".

Last edited:
I've been pretty much doing the same thing. Hopefully they offer more acceptances soon!

CBC started today! Based on my personal experience, I would say the next batch is right after May 15th. I was accepted May 2nd and I have 14 days to give notification of attending, and to send the 300 deposit. Granted I already have, I am assuming MMC is waiting to hear from the batch that they sent out last Thursday... The only thing I could see making it faster, is if Meharry contacted multiple acceptance applicants and gave them each their own deadline. Just my thoughts. Has anyone called admissions as of late?

Any thought on when they would send out another batch of acceptance to the top 10% waitlisters. I feel it is coming...either today afternoon or this Friday or next Monday. I hope the adcom send out acceptance as soon as the spot is become available so we would have more time to prepare for the move. I have been searching for a house in Nashville for a while but couldn't make any decision yet because I am just a "wailister".

Are you planning to rent or buy? I have been checking realtor.com now and then to see what is available. It looks like its not going to be easy to find a reasonable property in an area with good schools.

Are you planning to rent or buy? I have been checking realtor.com now and then to see what is available. It looks like its not going to be easy to find a reasonable property in an area with good schools.

I am looking to buy a house or condo that has a good elementary school (atleast 7/10) and close to Meharry. Check hud websites (hud home store, telo, homepath etc...) for a possible good deal. This is a property I like (Elementary school rate: 10/10, close to Meharry, and reasonable price):
http://www.zillow.com/h/4505-Harding-Pike-APT-4E-Nashville-TN-37205-2127946157/

Last edited:
I am looking to buy a house or condo that has a good elementary school (atleast 7/10) and close to Meharry. Check hud websites (hud home store, telo, homepath etc...) for a possible good deal. This is a property I like (Elementary school rate: 10/10, close to Meharry, and reasonable price):
http://www.zillow.com/h/4505-Harding-Pike-APT-4E-Nashville-TN-37205-2127946157/

That is precisely what I have been thinking- except I have to not only worry about a good elementary but also good middle schools- as their elementary schools only go to 4th grade. I will have a midldle schooler in M2 year. That is a beautiful property, but way to small for me-family of 4. I just got an email from realtor.com that said they have an app you can use to search by schools. So I think I will try that out. Then I can just search by schools with a ranking of 10 and work my way down if necessary.

Doc Hunter- Have you called and spoken with the school district at all? From what I was reading on the districts webpage I am concerned that it may not be too easy to get into a lot of their better schools. Many did not seem to guarantee that you could enroll in a certain elementary even if you lived in the area, but I wanted to check and see if that was true or not. I would be very upset if the main reason I bought a property was so that my kids could go to a good school and then they told me the school was full and they couldn't go there anyways!

Doc Hunter- Have you called and spoken with the school district at all? From what I was reading on the districts webpage I am concerned that it may not be too easy to get into a lot of their better schools. Many did not seem to guarantee that you could enroll in a certain elementary even if you lived in the area, but I wanted to check and see if that was true or not. I would be very upset if the main reason I bought a property was so that my kids could go to a good school and then they told me the school was full and they couldn't go there anyways!

No, I haven't called them yet. I'm assuming that the school must take our kid if we are in the "assigned" area unless we register it late. But I would call to making sure prior to closing the contract.

One thing I forgot to ask about during interviews was m1 and m2's lecture schedule. Does anyone have details about that?

Another Monday and STILL nothing - great Scott - what the heck is going on here?!?!

I'm thinking Thursdays are "the days" . I heard back I was waitlisted on a Thursday and appears all the fine folks who were accepted off ten % list also found out on a Thursday. So, yea...thats what I'm going with :)

I'm thinking Thursdays are "the days" . I heard back I was waitlisted on a Thursday and appears all the fine folks who were accepted off ten % list also found out on a Thursday. So, yea...thats what I'm going with :)

I agree. The stats from previous threads shows there is a highly chance that Meharry would send out acceptance on Thur, Fri and Mon. I hope it happens either this Thur or Fri so premed8888 wouldn't need to retake MCAT and I would not have to work on my primary application.

Withdrawing my acceptance (and 15k/year scholarship) from here today. Hopefully one of you guys get both! Good luck!

Withdrawing my acceptance (and 15k/year scholarship) from here today. Hopefully one of you guys get both! Good luck!

When were you informed of a scholarship. I thouht they didn't notify recipients until sept or oct.

Just FYI, be aware that, at least last year, the $300 deposit was not refundable. I don't want to influence any of your decisions on whether or not to attend, but if any of you are vacillating between two schools and think you might choose the one that's not Meharry, wait until the last possible second to send in your deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.