2012-2013 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It does seem like they're offering based off when your secondary was marked complete. I wasn't complete for a few days after the people who already received interviews, and I assume other people were complete later due to the July 4th holiday, so I think we'll start to see more roll out here in the next few days.
 
If you have taken courses beyond your bachelor's degree, what was your motivation for doing so? How has this coursework prepared you for your medical education?

How did you guys define "courses beyond your bachelor's degree"? Do they mean like, electives, or post-grad courses? 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the "What have you done to make your community a better place" question, are you guys talking only about one experience, or will you talk about more than one?

I don't want it to sound like I am just restating my resume in paragraph form, but then I feel like if I only write about one activity (but more in-depth), it might not be enough. What should I do?

I talked about more than one experience as the "community" (in the local and/or regional sense) is made up of a lot of different individuals, and there are many ways one can make one's community a better place.

You could talk about a couple of your activities that relate to making the community better so that you're not stretching one activity too far or just making a list of activities (in other words, find a balance).

After you've selected them, discuss what you did, but also elaborate to the extent necessary to illustrate specific actions that made your community better - then, explain how your community improved.
 
I am wondering if I should add this school. Are they oos friendly and are they very competitive? Are they receptive to updates?

The school is OOS friendly. I believe about 40% is OOS for the 2016 class. Also, since they are a private school, they do not have any preference for IS or OOS students. They are receptive to updates. I believe you can now update them directly through their admissions website once they send you login information. And I believe their mean MCAT (according to MSAR) was a 32. Their mean GPA was somewhere around a 3.7
Good luck!
 
The school is OOS friendly. I believe about 40% is OOS for the 2016 class. Also, since they are a private school, they do not have any preference for IS or OOS students. They are receptive to updates. I believe you can now update them directly through their admissions website once they send you login information. And I believe their mean MCAT (according to MSAR) was a 32. Their mean GPA was somewhere around a 3.7
Good luck!

70% in state, 30% out of state (http://www.oakland.edu/?id=19505&sid=340)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought that too but MSAR lists them as a public school and most of the Googling I do comes up with the same. E.g., http://www.umflint.edu/govrelations/Michigan_Public_Universities.htm

From the horse's mouth:

"I don't live in Michigan. Will I be charged out of state rates?
The Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine is a privately funded medical school. We charge the same tuition rate regardless of state of residence."

http://www.oakland.edu/view_askou.aspx?cid=52#650
 
Does anyone interviewing on the 24th (if traveling from OOS) know how they are getting to campus or where they are staying? I'm flying into Detroit on the 23rd and don't know whether I should rent a car or get a taxi or what. Also wondering where I could potentially stay really close to campus (that is relatively cheap) so that I could just walk there on the 24th.
 
This thread seems a little quieter than others, so add some momentum...

INTERVIEW INVITE! first invite~ teeheehee~

C 7/6, II 8/9 OOS :soexcited:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone who has received an interview and signed up to stay with a medical student heard anything about where/if they have somewhere to stay? I don't really want to have to book a hotel last minute..
 
Did anyone who has received an interview and signed up to stay with a medical student heard anything about where/if they have somewhere to stay? I don't really want to have to book a hotel last minute..

I signed up for it but I haven't heard anything from them about it, so I'm not sure. I might just wait another week or so and just book a hotel if nothing happens since I'm interviewing on the 24th of this month.
 
OMG!!!!! An MD interview invite! Was NOT expecting one at all! 3.4 cGPA + 31 MCAT, oos.

What's the ratio of interviewees accepted?

Also, I will be interviewing September 27! Hope to hear back within a month from them! Read through all the pages of last year's Oakland thread and some people apparently had to wait 6 months only for a wait list notification.
 
Last edited:
2. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

Do you think something should be written here no matter what? I don't want to go against the directions and restate things I've already said but I also feel bad leaving something blank that I could use to help my application. It sounds like they really don't want people to write anything here unless there's something new and relevant that wasn't put on AMCAS so I'm leaning toward leaving it blank but I want to know what are you all thinking for this optional essay?
 
2. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

Do you think something should be written here no matter what? I don't want to go against the directions and restate things I've already said but I also feel bad leaving something blank that I could use to help my application. It sounds like they really don't want people to write anything here unless there's something new and relevant that wasn't put on AMCAS so I'm leaning toward leaving it blank but I want to know what are you all thinking for this optional essay?

I don't have any clear answer for you, but I wrote a small essay on how I faced and overcame certain adversities in my life and how I have learned and matured from my experiences. I ended up getting an interview invite 3 weeks later, so I'm assuming they were OK with it.
 
2. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

Do you think something should be written here no matter what? I don't want to go against the directions and restate things I've already said but I also feel bad leaving something blank that I could use to help my application. It sounds like they really don't want people to write anything here unless there's something new and relevant that wasn't put on AMCAS so I'm leaning toward leaving it blank but I want to know what are you all thinking for this optional essay?

I didn't write anything and got an interview invite, so I don't think it will affect your outcome very much unless you omit something very important or write something completely off subject. I guess the point is to write something if you think the admissions office should really know about it and if it hasn't been mentioned before.
 
OMG!!!!! An MD interview invite! Was NOT expecting one at all! 3.4 cGPA + 31 MCAT, oos.

What's the ratio of interviewees accepted?

Also, I will be interviewing September 27! Hope to hear back within a month from them! Read through all the pages of last year's Oakland thread and some people apparently had to wait 6 months only for a wait list notification.

It was the same way for me last year....similar stats to you and I heard back with an acceptance within the month from them so you definitely have a good shot now! Definitely shows that they take the holistic review seriously.
 
It was the same way for me last year....similar stats to you and I heard back with an acceptance within the month from them so you definitely have a good shot now! Definitely shows that they take the holistic review seriously.

Thanks, that's good to know! I really, really want to go to OUWB now based on what I read about the school in past threads. It really sounds like a great community to be a part of, and they really seem to care about their students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't write anything and got an interview invite, so I don't think it will affect your outcome very much unless you omit something very important or write something completely off subject. I guess the point is to write something if you think the admissions office should really know about it and if it hasn't been mentioned before.

Thank you!! I ended up leaving it blank because I'm a pretty typical case and I think I covered what I want them to know in the other essay and my primary, so hopefully it works for me 🙂
 
Question for past applicants:
How receptive is Oakland to pre-interview updates? I just got my grades for some prerequisites that I finished over the summer and now I have all prerequisites. Should I update Oakland now or wait?
 
Wow. According to the previous post and the interview tracker, they are only up to 7/8 secondary submissions and have already given out ~20% of their interviews.
 
Question for past applicants:
How receptive is Oakland to pre-interview updates? I just got my grades for some prerequisites that I finished over the summer and now I have all prerequisites. Should I update Oakland now or wait?

Did you fill out your application already? Last year, I used the "additional information" section to mention this. I did send an update post-interview but just knowing how friendly there office is, I think something substantial and not BS like grades would be something they would welcome as an update pre-interview.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.