2012-2013 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the MMI is like for the PRIME interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary submitted mid-July, Interviewed mid-Oct, Accepted late Oct.

35R, 3.75 GPA, OOS. Feel free to ask anything about interview day. It's an awesome school and I bet anyone will have a great time there.

Secondary submitted mid-July, Interviewed mid-Oct, Accepted late Oct.

35R, 3.75 GPA, OOS. Feel free to ask anything about interview day. It's an awesome school and I bet anyone will have a great time there.

Congrats! They must have really loved you. I'm interviewing this week and am curious about interview format, like length and whether they've seen your file. Also, did you do the optional clinic tour? It's logistically difficult for me to arrange, but I'd make it work if it's worth it. Did they tell you when to expect a decision? Two weeks seems crazy fast, just wondering what to expect in reality. Thanks!

Congrats! They must have really loved you. I'm interviewing this week and am curious about interview format, like length and whether they've seen your file. Also, did you do the optional clinic tour? It's logistically difficult for me to arrange, but I'd make it work if it's worth it. Did they tell you when to expect a decision? Two weeks seems crazy fast, just wondering what to expect in reality. Thanks!
The interviewers were super nice and everyone in the admissions office is very relaxed. I had two faculty members for two 1-hour interviews. The interview is open-file (I think) as they asked me about some of my personal experiences. I had one physician and one scientist as interviewers. I also got the vibe that they really like research so definitely talk about that if you get a chance. That and the beautiful weather :)

Funny story, I actually arrived to my interview three hours late since I had a connecting flight canceled the night before. I ended up changing in Brian's office... which was quite an experience. But everyone in the office was really nice and supportive and managed to re-arrange my day around. Unfortunately, that meant I missed a lot of the tours and info sessions. I didn't get a chance to get the clinic tour since it conflicted with my flight plans.

They go over what to expect post–interview at the end of the day. I think Brian said that decisions are usually made around two weeks after your interview date (I got mine literally in exactly two weeks). Good luck!

The interviewers were super nice and everyone in the admissions office is very relaxed. I had two faculty members for two 1-hour interviews. The interview is open-file (I think) as they asked me about some of my personal experiences. I had one physician and one scientist as interviewers. I also got the vibe that they really like research so definitely talk about that if you get a chance. That and the beautiful weather :)

Funny story, I actually arrived to my interview three hours late since I had a connecting flight canceled the night before. I ended up changing in Brian's office... which was quite an experience. But everyone in the office was really nice and supportive and managed to re-arrange my day around. Unfortunately, that meant I missed a lot of the tours and info sessions. I didn't get a chance to get the clinic tour since it conflicted with my flight plans.

They go over what to expect post–interview at the end of the day. I think Brian said that decisions are usually made around two weeks after your interview date (I got mine literally in exactly two weeks). Good luck!
Yea I got a very similar welcoming vibe from UCSD. On top of what jp89 said, the students seemed very happy to be there and the atmosphere was very collaborative. The interviews were very relaxed and stress free. Interview groups find out as early as one week.

So I was waitlisted last week. UCSD is my all time #1 so I have every intention of waiting it out until I get a final answer for this semester. The waitlist message said this, however;

"We receive many questions from waitlisted applicants regarding “updates” or “letters of intent” – please do not send any additional materials at this time. By the end of the first week of May, my office will contact you and all waitlisted applicants via e-mail to ask about your continued interest in UCSD. At that time, it would be appropriate to send updates for inclusion in your file."

I'm getting advice left and right telling me to send messages now, but obviously this says otherwise. Anyone getting similar advice or ideas?

I know the question wasn't really directed at me, but I can shed some light on the free clinic tour! I went to the tour and really enjoyed it! One of the biggest things UCSD prides itself on are the free clinics they have (I think they have 4 different locations), so definitely try to go to the tour if you can. You also go to dinner with your tour guides and other interviewees which is great so that you get another glimpse into student life (also, they don't pay for the meal so bring cash! with that said, they don't have breakfast either!). I decided to do the free clinic tour so that I could maximize my interview days at UCSD and see as much I could from my time there. For me, my experiences from the tour (i.e. interacting with the students, seeing the free clinic, driving around La Jolla, etc.) really put the school at the top of my list and there's a great chance I'll be matriculating there because of it! So I would definitely recommend going! Good luck!!!

I know the question wasn't really directed at me, but I can shed some light on the free clinic tour! I went to the tour and really enjoyed it! One of the biggest things UCSD prides itself on are the free clinics they have (I think they have 4 different locations), so definitely try to go to the tour if you can. You also go to dinner with your tour guides and other interviewees which is great so that you get another glimpse into student life (also, they don't pay for the meal so bring cash! with that said, they don't have breakfast either!). I decided to do the free clinic tour so that I could maximize my interview days at UCSD and see as much I could from my time there. For me, my experiences from the tour (i.e. interacting with the students, seeing the free clinic, driving around La Jolla, etc.) really put the school at the top of my list and there's a great chance I'll be matriculating there because of it! So I would definitely recommend going! Good luck!!!

I second this. The free clinic is really what is drawing me to UCSD currently and may end up being the reason why I choose to come to San Diego. In my opinion, the free clinic tour was the highlight of the entire UCSD interview day(s) and is an event not to be missed. I can't imagine this school as my number one choice, which it currently is, without it.

Trying to get some love from UCSD! I interviewed last year in March and was blown away. I got waitlisted and never made it to an acceptance :/

I was complete in August, but they have not shown me any love yet! Hoping for good news soon... If I don't get an II again, I'm going to be really bummed again. It can be a crapshoot, huh?

Trying to get some love from UCSD! I interviewed last year in March and was blown away. I got waitlisted and never made it to an acceptance :/

I was complete in August, but they have not shown me any love yet! Hoping for good news soon... If I don't get an II again, I'm going to be really bummed again. It can be a crapshoot, huh?

Seems that way. I got wait listed this cycle and I interviewed in september. If I'm not accepted this cycle I am contemplated if I should change what I wrote on my application for next year. They liked me enough on paper to interview me right away. Which leads me to ask you... Did you significantly improve your application with more experiences, and/or did you change what you talked about for your EC and personal statement? If you changed what you wrote, then you are essentially a completely different applicant aside from your name.

Seems that way. I got wait listed this cycle and I interviewed in september. If I'm not accepted this cycle I am contemplated if I should change what I wrote on my application for next year. They liked me enough on paper to interview me right away. Which leads me to ask you... Did you significantly improve your application with more experiences, and/or did you change what you talked about for your EC and personal statement? If you changed what you wrote, then you are essentially a completely different applicant aside from your name.

I wrote more indepthly about my experiences and siginificantly (or I hope :) ) changed my personal statements, but still going on the same themes... just more refined with more self-reflection. I had a couple new experiences that made my primary, but have a new underserved volunteering experience that started post-secondary. I am reluctant to send an update as UCSD does not seem that interested, especially pre-II, but I might anyways as the tunnel is getting dimmer. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote more indepthly about my experiences and siginificantly (or I hope :) ) changed my personal statements, but still going on the same themes... just more refined with more self-reflection. I had a couple new experiences that made my primary, but have a new underserved volunteering experience that started post-secondary. I am reluctant to send an update as UCSD does not seem that interested, especially pre-II, but I might anyways as the tunnel is getting dimmer. :scared:

At worst, they throw it away. If you send them one, I can't see why they would hold it against you. You still have time though. I'm sure there is a lull during the holidays.

Last edited:
So I have an interview here in Feb, but I was just looking at my status page and it looks like there are available days to visit the clinics in December (like, next week). I live in the area, and could attend either date. Would it be weird to attend a clinic visit 2 months before my interview? ..& did people notice that more clinic visit dates opened up over time? I don't want to wait to schedule a clinic visit only to have them not open up any more dates.

Thanks!

Ughhh... They're already filled to February??? Looks like I'm not going back to California except for weddings anytime soon....

So I have an interview here in Feb, but I was just looking at my status page and it looks like there are available days to visit the clinics in December (like, next week). I live in the area, and could attend either date. Would it be weird to attend a clinic visit 2 months before my interview? ..& did people notice that more clinic visit dates opened up over time? I don't want to wait to schedule a clinic visit only to have them not open up any more dates.

Thanks!

My guide for the clinic visit said that people who go on the tour typically interview the following day, but once in a while they get someone who shows up several weeks before their interview. If you don't want to make the extra trip though, new dates for the clinic tours show up about two weeks in advance I think... so you'll just have to wait until late January for a February date.

Accepted today. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear a decision !

And as a semi-encouraging note: I thought one of my interviews didn't really go that well. Just goes to show that it's hard to gauge things post-interview I suppose.

Accepted today. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear a decision !

And as a semi-encouraging note: I thought one of my interviews didn't really go that well. Just goes to show that it's hard to gauge things post-interview I suppose.

Congrats!! When did you interview?

I called the admissions office about an ITA and she said not to worry that they have several interview spots, they were only at the beginning of January... so I don't think they're out yet. I just think that the UC schools and NY schools are a bit slower. Interesting process.

Interesting... My interview date is in February. I wonder what that means.

so, if i didn't get a secondary yet, im pretty much out of the running ya?

Interview invite today! Thought my alma mater didn't want me sticking around another 4 years.

Interview invite today for me too! Very excited! WIll be on February 28. Complete 10/6. 33, cGPA3.7, sGPA 3.5.

Anyone knows what the chances are to get an interview if you are put on hold?
I love this school :(

Interview invite today for me too! Very excited! WIll be on February 28. Complete 10/6. 33, cGPA3.7, sGPA 3.5.

Congrats!! Man I think I'm offed then since I've been skipped over

complete 9/27 3.74/34, This was my #1 choice too :/

Waitlisted today. :( Totally bummed as I had a great interview experience. Interviewed 11/29. Good luck to everyone else!

Accepted today! interview 11/27, OOS,

Does anyone know if we have to do anything to hold a seat (ie deposit?) There was no mention of it in the email and I can't find anything on the status page either

ACCEPTED

Holy ****. Never thought this would happen.

amazing feeling

Accepted today! interview 11/27, OOS,

Does anyone know if we have to do anything to hold a seat (ie deposit?) There was no mention of it in the email and I can't find anything on the status page either

nevermind, there's another email later in the day if anyone else is wondering

ACCEPTED

Holy ****. Never thought this would happen.

amazing feeling

When did you interview?

I interviewed on 11/27 and still no word. They told us we'd hear after a week, and now its been two. I'm thinking I might give them a call and see whats up.

Brian told our group (I interviewed way back in October) that if we didn't hear back in a week, then chances are one of your interviewers wasn't able to make the committee meeting on Monday so you'll have to wait for the next week. It has nothing to do with your application and will not hinder/improve your chances. Moreover, it's not an indicator of anything so don't read into it; it just means that your interviewers couldn't meet last Monday. You'll most likely hear back next Tuesday. I know waiting one more week sucks, but it'll come! Best of luck!!!!!

edit: just realized that you interviewed on the 27th... oops. Yeah, I would call. Good luck!

Last edited:
When did you interview?

I interviewed on 11/27 and still no word. They told us we'd hear after a week, and now its been two. I'm thinking I might give them a call and see whats up.

I interviewed Dec. 6 (this past Thursday). I think it varies. They said something about reconvening at different times. I agree with the above that it's probably your interviewer's been busy or they just haven't gotten to you yet. This whole process is mysterious, especially with timing. No sweat...:) :xf:

When did you interview?

What I meant by thinking it would never happen was that I'm not the most ideal or normal applicant. Art major with 3.8 GPA, MCAT 34T. They did get back very quickly in my case, though, after my interview.

seems like last year, pre-secondary rejections started to roll out mid/late november. anything this year?

Anyone applied late

Complete 11/1
waiting

Interviewing tomorrow, and having a hard time sleeping!! Nervous and excited...

Status
Not open for further replies.