2012-2013 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got ii being on the hold list. Do we know what the chances of acceptance are from the on hold list? So it seems 200 to 300 peeps got on hold. So how many got invited? Sorry if this info is somewhere already, didnt find it.

Members don't see this ad.

I got ii being on the hold list. Do we know what the chances of acceptance are from the on hold list? So it seems 200 to 300 peeps got on hold. So how many got invited? Sorry if this info is somewhere already, didnt find it.

I don't think that info exists. Brian would probably know; you can ask him on your interview day. I've only heard of two people on this thread and you are one of them.

has anybody received an admissions decision today? interviewed on 02/26...i'm on pins and needles!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the first two years internally ranked?

whats the schedule like for second look? has this been released yet? I found an email from Brian about their dates but that was it. do they house us in hotels or do we have to find our own?

Has anyone heard back after Feb/Mar interviews?

Wait-listed as well. Very disappointed!

just got an acceptance! i'm so excited/happy/grateful right now!

For those of you hearing back today, what dates were your interviews? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the first two years internally ranked?
No, there is no internal/secret/whatever rank. No rank.

Source: I'm a current student that has heard the deans strike down this rumor numerous times.

No, there is no internal/secret/whatever rank. No rank.

Source: I'm a current student that has heard the deans strike down this rumor numerous times.

Thanks for the response!

Are all lectures video taped and made available to students?

Post acceptance are we allowed to drop classes not required for our degree?

If you're all set on going to Ucsd, is it important to go to second look??

Some financial aid questions for currents students or anyone who knows:

1. When are merit scholarships announced? Are they announced only with the need-based grants and loans in August? How generous are merit scholarships?

2. If all financial aid packages are announced in August, did you guys just not take into account the financial aspect of attending to UCSD?

3. How close were the financial aid estimates to the real deal?

Just curious, how many OOS people on the WL have UCSD at the top of their list if they get an acceptance?

Thanks for the response!

Are all lectures video taped and made available to students?
They are audio-recorded. They might be starting video recording in the coming year, but I'm not sure. Although I find audio-recording more than adequate :)

Some financial aid questions for currents students or anyone who knows:

1. When are merit scholarships announced? Are they announced only with the need-based grants and loans in August? How generous are merit scholarships?

2. If all financial aid packages are announced in August, did you guys just not take into account the financial aspect of attending to UCSD?

3. How close were the financial aid estimates to the real deal?

These are actually great questions. Any current students care to comment?

Also... financial aid packages aren't announced until August?! :eek:

Finally withdrawing my acceptance from UCSD today. I hope it goes to one of you guys on the waitlist! Best of luck to everyone.

These are actually great questions. Any current students care to comment?

Also... financial aid packages aren't announced until August?! :eek:

To answer some of the questions that I originally posed:

1. Merit scholarships are announced in the summer. There's a very small pool of money that gets distributed after the school gets a better idea of who is attending. It's not really based on merit though-- you must qualify to received grants and loans from the school before you can even be considered for "merit" scholarships.

2. You can get an estimate by emailing the financial aid office once you have all of your forms turned in. They NEED your parents' 2012 taxes (filed this year) before they can tell you anything at all. UCSD does NOT match scholarship offers from other schools.

3. Current students say the estimates are very close, if not identical, to the real deal.

Sources: second look weekend talks and current med students.

To answer some of the questions that I originally posed:

1. Merit scholarships are announced in the summer. There's a very small pool of money that gets distributed after the school gets a better idea of who is attending. It's not really based on merit though-- you must qualify to received grants and loans from the school before you can even be considered for "merit" scholarships.

2. You can get an estimate by emailing the financial aid office once you have all of your forms turned in. They NEED your parents' 2012 taxes (filed this year) before they can tell you anything at all. UCSD does NOT match scholarship offers from other schools.

3. Current students say the estimates are very close, if not identical, to the real deal.

Sources: second look weekend talks and current med students.

Thanks for sharing !

sooooo...any word on waitlists yet? anyone get an email asking if we're still interested in staying on it?

sooooo...any word on waitlists yet? anyone get an email asking if we're still interested in staying on it?

I called Brian a week ago. He said the email will go out this week or the first week of May (probably next week). There is no exact date, but there was no reason for any delay so it should be in the inbox soon.

I called Brian a week ago. He said the email will go out this week or the first week of May (probably next week). There is no exact date, but there was no reason for any delay so it should be in the inbox soon.

Thanks guys. Hey jlescher, when you called, did Brian say anything about waiting until May 15th to make offers off the waiting list? Any estimates on waitlist movement this year?

:luck: everyone!

Thanks guys. Hey jlescher, when you called, did Brian say anything about waiting until May 15th to make offers off the waiting list? Any estimates on waitlist movement this year?

:luck: everyone!

He said the class was overenrolled by about 70 but that is totally normal. If movement is the same as last year they will take around 22 people (5 OOS) from the WL. He said they ask about our continued interest and then the committee meets again to organize everyone and see how they feel about people after seeing the entire pool of interviewees. Movement probably won't happen until May 15th or later.

Guess none of this matters anyway. I just got rejected after being strung along for 7 months with out even having the opportunity to send in a update letter.

Guess none of this matters anyway. I just got rejected after being strung along for 7 months with out even having the opportunity to send in a update letter.

same, got cut from the wait list. had a rec and an update letter lined up too

Just got the email to reconfirm interest from the waitlist.

It was difficult not to respond with "YES!!! PLEASE ACCEPT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

jlescher, I'm sorry to hear that. I remember you from my interview day and you have been one of the most helpful posters on this thread. I wish you the best with this app cycle and am sure you will be great wherever you end up.

jlescher, I'm sorry to hear that. I remember you from my interview day and you have been one of the most helpful posters on this thread. I wish you the best with this app cycle and am sure you will be great wherever you end up.

Thanks, I've been wondering who you were all year. I'm not sure if I spoke to you on interview day or not. Did you end up getting accepted? The really horrible thing is I might not end up anywhere. There was a mix up at my state school and they didn't incorporate all of the shadowing I had done this year into their decision so I was wait listed and then rejected there, and now this rejection today. Their only concern was my minimal clinical experience and I have done well over 100 hours of clinical work this year. I'm assuming UCSD had the same concern and I didn't even have an opportunity to update them on it. All I have left is Minnesota and they wait list everyone they don't accept so the odds aren't too go for me. I'm kind of disgusted by this whole process at this point.

Does anyone know if we just reply to Brian to say yes to the waitlist? Or should we send an email or letter to the admissions office?

Does anyone know if we just reply to Brian to say yes to the waitlist? Or should we send an email or letter to the admissions office?

It says, "Your response to this e-mail," so I just replied to Brian.

Just got the email to reconfirm interest from the waitlist.

It was difficult not to respond with "YES!!! PLEASE ACCEPT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

SERIOUSLY! Instead I had an update letter written up for months and kept updating it. Then copied to notepad then the email to ensure that the font/size were consistent and what did I find after I click send...THERE'S A LINE WITH A DIFFERENT FONT AND SIZE!!!! FAILLL!!!! If I get an email saying "We decided to reject you because you cannot format an appropriate letter," I'm banging my head on the table.

SERIOUSLY! Instead I had an update letter written up for months and kept updating it. Then copied to notepad then the email to ensure that the font/size were consistent and what did I find after I click send...THERE'S A LINE WITH A DIFFERENT FONT AND SIZE!!!! FAILLL!!!! If I get an email saying "We decided to reject you because you cannot format an appropriate letter," I'm banging my head on the table.

:laugh: I think you'll be ok. Good luck everyone ! :luck:

Did anyone who was cut from the WL have a status change online for "final decision letter sent".

Does anyone have any information on the MD/MBA program here?

any word on whether the class is still overfilled or what waitlist movement will be like?

I don't have much information on it, except that it is completely new, and I'm not sure when will be the first year it is available. (I think they are still designing it? At least this is what they said at the info sess.) I know that they've had a MD/MA (Masters in Leadership of Health Care Organization) program for a while, which is similar to the MD/MBA, just more specific. The MBA is of course more portable and recognized. I'm interested in finding out more about it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.