You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Central Florida Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I know... I posted and then got the call 5 minutes later. It's like REL read my mind... or maybe the forum![]()
Mind reading is dangerous! And if I was watching the forum Ionclaws would be in now too!! It was just the good angel sprinkling handfuls on purpose for you!
Mind reading is dangerous! And if I was watching the forum Ionclaws would be in now too!! It was just the good angel sprinkling handfuls on purpose for you!
Well either way, it was perfect timing!
Also, I feel like on the phone I didn't seem all that excited cause I was so confused by your book reference, that I'm still not sure I get, but rest assured, I'm extremely excited!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations DAPI!! Very happy for you. 🙂
Mind reading is dangerous! And if I was watching the forum Ionclaws would be in now too!! It was just the good angel sprinkling handfuls on purpose for you!
Aw, man, I guess that telepathy class was a waste of money... 😳
Well either way, it was perfect timing!
Also, I feel like on the phone I didn't seem all that excited cause I was so confused by your book reference, that I'm still not sure I get, but rest assured, I'm extremely excited!![]()
CONGRATS! Sending out good telepathic vibes for the rest of us 😀
CONGRATS! Sending out good telepathic vibes for the rest of us 😀
Sending out some vibes now...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~😱~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sending out some vibes now...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~😱~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hahah! 👍
You have inspired me to re-watch Inuyasha now....!
REL, now that it's a little more than a week passed the May 15th deadline, do you still feel pretty confident the waitlist movement will be like years in the past? Moving far into the lower part of the middle 1/3 for in-state and out-of-state applicants?
Thank you for keeping us updated!
Thank you for keeping us updated!
REL, now that it's a little more than a week passed the May 15th deadline, do you still feel pretty confident the waitlist movement will be like years in the past? Moving far into the lower part of the middle 1/3 for in-state and out-of-state applicants?
Thank you for keeping us updated!
Yes, it is shaping up similarly. This process has it's forward lurches. Consider that most programs lose many at the May 15 timeframe, offer a batch of seats with a response window of ~10-14 days. Applicants make decisions near the end of that timeframe and we reoffer a batch of seats, another general waiting period, etc. So yes, I think we are going to go through the middle 1/3 again this year, certainly for FL residents and probably for Non as well. The lists move well in May and the earlier half of June then begins to taper to a crawl in July.
Well, just got the call from REL...accepted!! Awesome and really looking forward to matriculating here! Just so everyone knows, I was OOS, top half of the middle third of the waitlist.
Congrats!! Look forward to meeting you.
I'm so happy for all the recent acceptances. I know DAPI and Ionclaws have been on this board a while and have been nothing but hopeful and encouraging. Happy for you both as well as the others.
For those of you waiting, I wish you the best of luck. If it's any consolation, I met a first year at Second Look who had gotten an offer only 6 weeks before classes started. He was placed in the upper half of the lower 1/3, was in the process of reapplying already, and still got an offer.
I can't thank the great people at UCF enough for giving me this great opportunity, and it's becoming quite evident that a great class is in the making. Lots of greats in that last sentence there. Ain't nobody got time fo editing dat
For those of you waiting, I wish you the best of luck. If it's any consolation, I met a first year at Second Look who had gotten an offer only 6 weeks before classes started. He was placed in the upper half of the lower 1/3, was in the process of reapplying already, and still got an offer.
I can't thank the great people at UCF enough for giving me this great opportunity, and it's becoming quite evident that a great class is in the making. Lots of greats in that last sentence there. Ain't nobody got time fo editing dat
Anyone else get a financial aid email that ended up in the spam box?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
REL, when and where would the white coat ceremony be for this coming fall? Thanks.
Monday, August 5, roughly 10am-noon, at the student conference center on the Main Campus. There will be tours of the med school in the afternoon for family if desired. More details will be coming from Student Affairs in the next week or so.
Monday, August 5, roughly 10am-noon, at the student conference center on the Main Campus. There will be tours of the med school in the afternoon for family if desired. More details will be coming from Student Affairs in the next week or so.
Awesome, thanks!
Well, just got the call from REL...accepted!! Awesome and really looking forward to matriculating here! Just so everyone knows, I was OOS, top half of the middle third of the waitlist.
Must be karma for all those good vibes you've been sending out 😉 My turn now? 😍
Must be karma for all those good vibes you've been sending out 😉 My turn now? 😍
I support this!
Anyone from the top half, middle third hear anything yet?
Anyone from the top half, middle third hear anything yet?
IonClaws was in that group and was accepted last week. He is OOS.
IonClaws was in that group and was accepted last week. He is OOS.
Yes. It shouldn't be long for you guys.
Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got the phone call!! 😀DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD so thrilled!!! A forever proud Knight. <3
P.S. IS, top half middle third.
P.S. IS, top half middle third.
Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got the phone call!! 😀DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD so thrilled!!! A forever proud Knight. <3
P.S. IS, top half middle third.
Congrats!!
Great News!! I have learned that our current M2 class is done taking Step I, almost all scores are in, no failures, and an average of 238!! Each year this has risen, so in two years when your class when class takes it.....WOW!!!! The national average last year was 227, probably similar this year.
On a side note: Isn't it great that all med programs have Step scores above the national average!!!
On a side note: Isn't it great that all med programs have Step scores above the national average!!!
Great News!! I have learned that our current M2 class is done taking Step I, almost all scores are in, no failures, and an average of 238!! Each year this has risen, so in two years when your class when class takes it.....WOW!!!! The national average last year was 227, probably similar this year.
On a side note: Isn't it great that all med programs have Step scores above the national average!!!
I never quite understood how most med programs can have Step scores above the national average... is the average brought lower by foreign-educated students/docs looking to for an American residency? Either that or it's some kind of tongue-in-cheek thing that's flying way over my head

I never quite understood how most med programs can have Step scores above the national average... is the average brought lower by foreign-educated students/docs looking to for an American residency? Either that or it's some kind of tongue-in-cheek thing that's flying way over my head![]()
As far as I know there is NO WAY that an applicant can verify this "admissions speak." They can all say their averages are whatever thay want. That's the joke....there is a lack of integrity in some programs. Only the program and the NBME knows their score, the NBME will never release the scores, so programs can say what they want.
As far as I know there is NO WAY that an applicant can verify this "admissions speak." They can all say their averages are whatever thay want. That's the joke....there is a lack of integrity in some programs. Only the program and the NBME knows their score, the NBME will never release the scores, so programs can say what they want.
REL is far too awesome for that kind of tomfoolery. I consider that my verification.
I have learned that our current M2 class is done taking Step I, almost all scores are in, no failures, and an average of 238!
That's incredible. 238 is knocking on the door of averages reported by some top 20 schools. If UCF's average goes much higher, I'd seriously wonder if there's something special in the water down in Lake Nona. 😛
I never quite understood how most med programs can have Step scores above the national average... is the average brought lower by foreign-educated students/docs looking to for an American residency? Either that or it's some kind of tongue-in-cheek thing that's flying way over my head![]()
Hmm. I know GPA distribution tends to be skewed so that your mean is actually lower than the median (i.e. >50% of students have a GPA higher than the mean of the whole group) because the mean is pulled down by students with much lower GPAs in the left "tail" of the histogram. I don't know if foreign-educated docs have anything to do with it, but it's very possible that mean Step I scores are the same way, with most programs scoring higher than the mean because of the way the distribution is set up.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's incredible. 238 is knocking on the door of averages reported by some top 20 schools. If UCF's average goes much higher, I'd seriously wonder if there's something special in the water down in Lake Nona. 😛
There's a reason why UCF is set to become the premier medical school this century... 😉 (in reference to the Step 1 scores, not something being in the waters at Lake Nona)
Hmm. I know GPA distribution tends to be skewed so that your mean is actually lower than the median (i.e. >50% of students have a GPA higher than the mean of the whole group) because the mean is pulled down by students with much lower GPAs in the left "tail" of the histogram. I don't know if foreign-educated docs have anything to do with it, but it's very possible that mean Step I scores are the same way, with most programs scoring higher than the mean because of the way the distribution is set up.
And looking at the 2011 NRMP match data compiled into a bar graph...
IMO, looks a little bit more positively than negatively skewed, which makes the "above average Step 1" claims of medical programs even less believable...
Last edited:
IMO, looks a little bit more positively than negatively skewed, which makes the "above average Step 1" claims of medical programs even less believable...
Thanks for pulling some numbers. The only missing link is whether a histogram of average Step 1 scores for programs (vs individual applicant scores) follows a positively skewed graph, as well. I don't know enough about statistics to make a reliable inference from available data.
It's probably true, though, that some programs are fudging their numbers a bit.
Has there been any more movement?!?!?! I'm still holding on hope before I look for housing at my current acceptance :/
Has there been any more movement?!?!?! I'm still holding on hope before I look for housing at my current acceptance :/
Same here. Sweatin' a bit now.
(it's so quiet in here)![]()
(heavy footsteps)
chh chh chh....
(more heavy footsteps)
haa haa haa....
got in last week, OOS top half middle third. it's going to be a very tough decision for me to make in the next couple days.
ACCEPTED!! OOS. Top half of middle third. Now to book flights to Orlando and go to Harry Potter Land before school starts lol
Dear UCF,
Please admit me 🙂
this message has been supported by the Dr. McNinja ad counsel
![]()
Tough decision to withdraw my OOS spot (top half of middle third), but it's up for grabs now. Great admin, people and school. Best of luck to all those still waiting!
+1, good everyone!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how many guests we can invite to the white coat ceremony? My parents and siblings all want to attend so that would make 5 guests...would that be too much? I figured I should ask so I can let them know whether they should plan on coming.
Super excited to start!
Super excited to start!
Does anyone know how many guests we can invite to the white coat ceremony? My parents and siblings all want to attend so that would make 5 guests...would that be too much? I figured I should ask so I can let them know whether they should plan on coming.
Super excited to start!
Email said four, but they were going to see for many the student union could actually hold as we are the largest class to date.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what % of students in the class of 120 are accepted off wait list?
Also, where is everyone at on the list? Bottom-1/2, mid-1/3 here. Just really hoping to hear good news soon so I can send out withdrawals and get my life back together haha!
Here's a ninja picture for posterity:
Also, where is everyone at on the list? Bottom-1/2, mid-1/3 here. Just really hoping to hear good news soon so I can send out withdrawals and get my life back together haha!
Here's a ninja picture for posterity:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what % of students in the class of 120 are accepted off wait list?
Also, where is everyone at on the list? Bottom-1/2, mid-1/3 here. Just really hoping to hear good news soon so I can send out withdrawals and get my life back together haha!
Here's a ninja picture for posterity:
![]()
Not sure about the % of students of the class that were taken off the waitlist...however, I'm quite sure this process has taken its toll on all of us!

OOS upper mid 1/3 still waiting to hear back.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
!! Related: my very excitable peanut butter jelly dance.