2012-2013 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time.

Please provide details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B minus", or course withdrawals.

Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. We are interested in your thoughts on what you can contribute to your UCF COM class, the medical profession in general, as well as descriptions of significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character. You are encouraged to also include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, travels, and specific goals you may have achieved. NOTE: This essay should be different than your AMCAS Personal Statement.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
To WorldChanger36
be prepared to have a research plan to tell them about when you get an interview. They are very picky, and high numbers and good EC's (like me) can still get you the bottom of the wait list.

Last edited:
To WorldChanger36
Idk where you go to school, and not to sound vain or anything, but UCF likes students from central/northern Florida. They did not accept many high quality students from south florida (people getting into the likes of UM, UF, and even Emory). Also, be prepared to have a research plan to tell them about when you get an interview. They are very picky, and high numbers and good EC's (like me) can still get you the bottom of the wait list.

Actually this does sound vain.....and your information is very inaccurate with regard to who has been accepted from which programs. I think that your objectivity may have been clouded by your relatively lower position on our wait list. I do congratulate you for getting into UM so that you may continue your family legacy, you have what it takes to be successful and will fit right in at UM.

Last edited:
To WorldChanger36
be prepared to have a research plan to tell them about when you get an interview. They are very picky, and high numbers and good EC's (like me) can still get you the bottom of the wait list.

Well I am from North Florida but I really don't see what that has to do with UCF selection process. What school isn't picky really? While I do actual have a strong research interest so coming up with a good plan to execute it isn't a problem. To be honest while numbers do matter I have alot of other things to offer UCF that makes me a different kind of applicant. I really is just a privilege to be able to be considered by them so if at the end of the day UCF feels I am a fit and selects me for their school I will be quite happy. If not then I move on but I am sure the whole process will be a good experience either way.

Actually this does sound vain.....and your information is very inaccurate with regard to who has been accepted from which programs. I think that your objectivity may have been clouded by your relatively lower position on our wait list. I do congratulate you for getting into UM so that you may continue your family legacy, you have what it takes to be successful and will fit right in at UM.

REL! My favorite person! Even if you gave me crummy news over and over again "you have been pre-interview waitlisted" and the "bests of lucksies" emails. Hopefully this time around goes better.

Honestly, I love the transparency and communications from UCF's admissions process. And all of y'all applying will love it too! Other schools like to let you hang.

Reactions: 1 user
REL! My favorite person! Even if you gave me crummy news over and over again "you have been pre-interview waitlisted" and the "bests of lucksies" emails. Hopefully this time around goes better.

Honestly, I love the transparency and communications from UCF's admissions process. And all of y'all applying will love it too! Other schools like to let you hang.

It'd sure be nice to get this done for you this year!

UCF KNIGHTS!!!

I started at UCF in 2007, then transferred to NYU. Looking to go back and become a Knight again in medical school. I miss UCF so much and, not to mention, LOVE the new medical school. I think one of the defining features of my experience at NYU has been the research I've done in parasitology. I know UCF COM has the research program (quickly putting it on the top of my list), so I'm just wondering if that translates to admissions policy. Does UCF weigh research experience pretty heavily? I mean with respect to other medical schools, I know all of them like to see it.

Nothing would make me happier than to go to UCF COM... incredible program, incredible people, and it feels much more like home than this NYC stuff...

REL, When is the class size going to increase? Where do student do their clinicals at? Just wondering....

The class size has increased by 20 since our inception with 40 in 2009, the entering class of 2013 will be 120, our first of many classes of 120.

As for the 3rd year clerkship, they will be conducted at the large OH and FL Hosp's in the 6 hospital campus in downtown Orlando; that includes the MD Anderson Cancer Hospital, Winnie Palmer Women's & Babies, Arnold Palmer Peds, and big FH and OH general hospitals. By the end of this year the large Nemour's Children's Hospital will open adjacent to the UCF COM, and the nation's second largest VA will also open adjacent to the COM in about a year. Both the Nemour's and VA will be staffed by UCF physicians and will become UCF teaching hospitals. For clinical electives our students will use the Nemours, VA, and the 14 FH and OH hospitals here in the Orlando area. The FH and OH hospitals have been teaching medical students for 20+ years. From what I know this is the state's largest array of hospitals that treats a very diverse patient population from around the globe.

Members don't see this ad :)
The class size has increased by 20 since our inception with 40 in 2009, the entering class of 2013 will be 120, our first of many classes of 120.

As for the 3rd year clerkship, they will be conducted at the large OH and FL Hosp's in the 6 hospital campus in downtown Orlando; that includes the MD Anderson Cancer Hospital, Winnie Palmer Women's & Babies, Arnold Palmer Peds, and big FH and OH general hospitals. By the end of this year the large Nemour's Children's Hospital will open adjacent to the UCF COM, and the nation's second largest VA will also open adjacent to the COM in about a year. Both the Nemour's and VA will be staffed by UCF physicians and will become UCF teaching hospitals. For clinical electives our students will use the Nemours, VA, and the 14 FH and OH hospitals here in the Orlando area. The FH and OH hospitals have been teaching medical students for 20+ years. From what I know this is the state's largest array of hospitals that treats a very diverse patient population from around the globe.

Awesome...can't wait but I will anyways

bump...this thread is too quiet for my liking

You're a couple months early. Trust me, UCF is is definitely one of the more popular schools in Florida. You will find out why if/when you interview. Gl to all applicants. I'll be a first year in the fall.

Last edited:
Your a couple months early. Trust me, UCF is is definitely one of the more popular schools in Florida. You will find out why if/when you interview. Gl to all applicants. I'll be a first year in the fall.

Spoiler: It's because it's awesome. :)

I absolutely cannot wait for this secondary. Last year I made the biggest mistake of my life by submitting late, but this year will surely be a different story. Orlando has become my home over the past few years, and I hope I can keep it that way. Good luck to all, and GO KNIGHTS!!!

REL, this year I was late turning in my pre-health (PHPAO) packet because I was waiting to see if I was going to get off of a wait list. Anyway, I have spoken with Susie about when my packet will be submitted to my programs, and she said it will be early to mid September. Do you think it will hurt my chances of getting an interview if I wait for it, or would I be better off requesting the Letters Only service? An overview of my stats can be found in my signature if that helps. Thank you so much ahead of time!

REL, this year I was late turning in my pre-health (PHPAO) packet because I was waiting to see if I was going to get off of a wait list. Anyway, I have spoken with Susie about when my packet will be submitted to my programs, and she said it will be early to mid September. Do you think it will hurt my chances of getting an interview if I wait for it, or would I be better off requesting the Letters Only service? An overview of my stats can be found in my signature if that helps. Thank you so much ahead of time!

The PHPAO packet is very helpful and highly desired by admissions committee members. If Sept is an accurate estimation, you will be ok. Just have all other elements of your file complete and ready. You could do the letter-only service, but that will cause a committee some concern.

The PHPAO packet is very helpful and highly desired by admissions committee members. If Sept is an accurate estimation, you will be ok. Just have all other elements of your file complete and ready. You could do the letter-only service, but that will cause a committee some concern.

Yes sir, thank you so much for taking time to respond! It is appreciated more than you know.

This is my top choice school. Pretty sure it is out of my range but I am hoping for the best.
I thought it was out of my league too, as I got a 26 on the MCAT (3.8.BPCM, 3.93 GPA, research and nurse) but obviously the MCAT isn't the only thing they are focusing on. Had an interview December 9th 2011 and got accepted straight into the program. They value a lot. Have faith and hope to see you at interviews.

I'm hoping it won't cause concern....I graduated 14 years ago, so it's too late for a pre-med committee for me! At my post-bacc institution, I didn't take enough hours (25) to apply for their HPAC either. :xf:

I'm hoping it won't cause concern....I graduated 14 years ago, so it's too late for a pre-med committee for me! At my post-bacc institution, I didn't take enough hours (25) to apply for their HPAC either. :xf:

It shouldn't be a problem... If you have the 3 standard letters you should be fine. My UG did even have a premed committee so I have no choice but the 3 standards...

This question is for anyone who might know but specifically for REL (by the way, it is incredibly encouraging to actual staff caring enough to be on the forums and help us work through this),

I know UCF has a reputation for research. Will it be held "against" me that my goal is to be a rural family physician? I do understand that it is probably the least glamorous and lowest paying but both my grandparents were farmers in the middle of nowhere and I want to bring quality care out into a little community like the ones in which they lived. UCF is obviously a great program by the quality of students they attract. As I'm local, med school would be an easier process on my family and me (I'm a nontrad) if I could attend here where I grew up. Having that support system around would likely make me a better student. I'm concerned that a higher profile program like UCF might be less interested in someone with a more mundane career goal. Would you mind speaking to this concern? I'm actually going to be contact PHPAO in person but I believe that everyone insight possible is valuable. Thank you for your time.

This question is for anyone who might know but specifically for REL (by the way, it is incredibly encouraging to actual staff caring enough to be on the forums and help us work through this),

I know UCF has a reputation for research. Will it be held "against" me that my goal is to be a rural family physician? I do understand that it is probably the least glamorous and lowest paying but both my grandparents were farmers in the middle of nowhere and I want to bring quality care out into a little community like the ones in which they lived. UCF is obviously a great program by the quality of students they attract. As I'm local, med school would be an easier process on my family and me (I'm a nontrad) if I could attend here where I grew up. Having that support system around would likely make me a better student. I'm concerned that a higher profile program like UCF might be less interested in someone with a more mundane career goal. Would you mind speaking to this concern? I'm actually going to be contact PHPAO in person but I believe that everyone insight possible is valuable. Thank you for your time.

All medical schools value a diversity of experience and goals. Plus, state schools get the money from the legislature that they do because ideally they are educating doctors that are going to serve needs in the state. So, I highly doubt that anyone would hold those goals against you. Additionally, having ties to the area and strong reasons for wanting to attend UCF can be a comfort to the admissions committee since they know you're more likely to accept an offer.

That said, UCF is a strong research school with a required research project (FIRE project). However, you can make that project your own and to a certain degree do whatever you like, relating it to your interests in increasing access to care and underserved rural areas. For example, one of the recent projects did an assessment of the area's needs that will help UCF get its student run free clinic started. The FIRE project is really there to help you. Be prepared to discuss possible projects and interests on your interview day.

Most of all though, be yourself. It sounds like you have very clear goals and very sound reasons for wanting to pursue them. That should come through in the interview and the right school will know that you're the right fit for them. Hopefully that school is UCF! :luck:

Anyone know if a committee letter packet is ok instead of a committee letter and 2 character letters?

I am ready to review as of a few days ago. Around when do you guys think I'll hear back?

Last edited:
I just got the secondary. Here it is for anyone that is interested:

Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different than your AMCAS Personal Statement. We are primarily interested in your thoughts on what you can contribute to your UCF COM class, the medical profession in general, as well as descriptions of significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character. You are also encouraged to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, travels, and specific goals you may have achieved.

----

Additionally, on the email it said that we are supposed to provide two character references. On top of the questions posed above, does anyone know if peer letters are okay? I already have four letters from faculty at my UG institution on top of the committee letter, so I figured peer letters might provide a different perspective. Also, should those be emailed directly to UCFCOM?

Thanks anyone for the help!

Additionally, on the email it said that we are supposed to provide two character references. On top of the questions posed above, does anyone know if peer letters are okay? I already have four letters from faculty at my UG institution on top of the committee letter, so I figured peer letters might provide a different perspective. Also, should those be emailed directly to UCFCOM?

I sent one peer letter (via Interfolio to AMCAS fro assignment) as that seemed to be recommended.

All letters must be via AMCAS. A committee letter and two character letters is what is desired, or 3 faculty letters and two character letters.

The email telling you that you are complete also tells you the timing of the review.

I have 2 character letters (1 from a physician and 1 from a supervisor) but my pre-health committee is sending these together with the committee letter in a packet. Do you know if this would be ok?

All letters must be via AMCAS. A committee letter and two character letters is what is desired, or 3 faculty letters and two character letters.

The email telling you that you are complete also tells you the timing of the review.

Does anyone know if there is a word or character limit on the secondary essay?

Thanks!

does anyone know when first II's come out this year? REL?

I am going to be enrolled in a special masters program all through out the app year. This program allows us to take medical shelf exams.

What is the best way I can bring this to the attention of admissions committees on my secondary?

I also plan on submiting updates to UCF as I get them.

REL I am really looking for your input here but anybody else feel free to pipe in.

Sorry to add on on more question, REL, but what is the expected OOS contribution to the acceptance pool this year, with the increased class size?

Sorry to add on on more question, REL, but what is the expected OOS contribution to the acceptance pool this year, with the increased class size?

If the trend continues like it has (I expect it should) OOS make up 25% of the class. So 30/120

does anyone know when first II's come out this year? REL?

Sorry folks, lotsa travel has kept me greatly occupied. Our first interview date is in early-mid September, and we try to invite for interview about 3-4 weeks in advance of the next available interview date. This means that we should begin inviting around mid-August.

I am going to be enrolled in a special masters program all through out the app year. This program allows us to take medical shelf exams.

What is the best way I can bring this to the attention of admissions committees on my secondary?

I also plan on submiting updates to UCF as I get them.

REL I am really looking for your input here but anybody else feel free to pipe in.

Send email updates when you have significant additions. It may be that you will send an updated grade sheet at the end of the semester. Presumably we will see your pending degree via AMCAS so we will be expecting a grade update. You might also add a faculty letter when you get toward the end of the semester also.

Send email updates when you have significant additions. It may be that you will send an updated grade sheet at the end of the semester. Presumably we will see your pending degree via AMCAS so we will be expecting a grade update. You might also add a faculty letter when you get toward the end of the semester also.

AMCAS removed the graduate program when I tried to put it on there with pending classes. Most likely because I wasn't accepted yet. So now that I am fully in the program I can't change it. I don't know if AMCAS will update you if it isn't on my primary.

I noticed you didn't say anything about the shelf exams, is that because these are not a good comparison because the school did a great job selling me on them. Just wondering...

AMCAS removed the graduate program when I tried to put it on there with pending classes. Most likely because I wasn't accepted yet. So now that I am fully in the program I can't change it. I don't know if AMCAS will update you if it isn't on my primary.

I noticed you didn't say anything about the shelf exams, is that because these are not a good comparison because the school did a great job selling me on them. Just wondering...[/QUOTE

Once you submit AMCAS you can only change address/phone/email info, retake MCAT date, and of course your LOR's. Put additional degree information in the Supplemental, or if already submitted, send an email with pertinent update information. So if you are in the new (year old?) MS, I have heard rumors of a bumpy first year....dont know if true though. Shelfs? Good practice, but cant say it's all that big of a factor otherwise.

I noticed you didn't say anything about the shelf exams, is that because these are not a good comparison because the school did a great job selling me on them. Just wondering...[/QUOTE

Once you submit AMCAS you can only change address/phone/email info, retake MCAT date, and of course your LOR's. Put additional degree information in the Supplemental, or if already submitted, send an email with pertinent update information. So if you are in the new (year old?) MS, I have heard rumors of a bumpy first year....dont know if true though. Shelfs? Good practice, but cant say it's all that big of a factor otherwise.

Thanks REL.... The MS program isn't new at Mississippi college, it does however seem to take in mostly Mississippians so most of the graduates that finish the 33 cr program within a year go to Ole Miss for med school. I am in state in Florida so that isn't even an option for me, however of the few students that do finish the program that are non mississippians they do seem to place well. The program is pretty serious... feel free to have a look at it.

http://www.mc.edu/academics/departments/biology/degrees/graduate/medical-sciences

You maybe seeing more applicants from it in the future. I know for sure you will be seeing at least one.;)
Thank again.

This thread is way too quiet, so I'll bring it back and say I submitted my secondary on 7/17!!

I may not be the most informed, but feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding the secondary or the school in general (I graduated UG here in May).

Best of luck to everyone again!

I just got the secondary. Here it is for anyone that is interested:

Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different than your AMCAS Personal Statement. We are primarily interested in your thoughts on what you can contribute to your UCF COM class, the medical profession in general, as well as descriptions of significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character. You are also encouraged to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, travels, and specific goals you may have achieved.

----

is there a word limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.