-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Whew! Letters all in! Just submitted my secondary.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rejected this morning.
When were you complete?
D
deleted404486
I just got a secondary. My MCAT score is not released yet. Do they send secondaries to all their applicants?
For a second I felt special when I got the email.
For a second I felt special when I got the email.
I just got a secondary. My MCAT score is not released yet. Do they send secondaries to all their applicants?
For a second I felt special when I got the email.
There's no screen for the secondary.
(sent from my phone)
D
deleted404486
There's no screen for the secondary.
(sent from my phone)
I have read the posts by you in this thread and the fact that they don't screen for secondary is making it sound like Pritzker values the essays/personailites as much as the stats.
gives me hope
I have read the posts by you in this thread and the fact that they don't screen for secondary is making it sound like Pritzker values the essays/personailites as much as the stats.
gives me hope
True, but most schools don't do pre-secondary screens, so it isn't anything special about Pritzker in particular.
twitter chat happening right now 🙂
twitter chat happening right now 🙂
Thanks for the reminder!
Yo. Good luck, people. I'll be one of the fourth years on the admissions committee this year, so do ask any questions that you have and I'll try to keep you updated (though perhaps not as well as Nick has done). The podcast is also a good resource to search through if you have random questions about this crazy process.
I also take cash.
Kidding. ORAMI?
Just noticed your username and post... It's the guy from the pritzker podcast! I just found it and it's really informative for us pre-meds, thanks for doing it!
I'm not applying for a few cycles though so I'd just like to wish everyone here luck! Pritzker looks like an amazing school.
Just got rejected, damn that was a fast turnaround time (~2 weeks from confirmation of received rec letters, 2.5 weeks after I submitted the secondary)
I submitted Saturday and my status says "Application Complete: Your completed application has been sent to the Committee on Admissions for review. We look forward to learning about you and your accomplishments.", and there are boxes underneath like "MD Only", "checkRecs" etc. There's also a little grey box that says "HOLD". Does this mean I'm on hold for a re-review?
I submitted Saturday and my status says "Application Complete: Your completed application has been sent to the Committee on Admissions for review. We look forward to learning about you and your accomplishments.", and there are boxes underneath like "MD Only", "checkRecs" etc. There's also a little grey box that says "HOLD". Does this mean I'm on hold for a re-review?
No. It will say "Application on Hold" instead of "Application Complete" above those little boxes.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted Saturday and my status says "Application Complete: Your completed application has been sent to the Committee on Admissions for review. We look forward to learning about you and your accomplishments.", and there are boxes underneath like "MD Only", "checkRecs" etc. There's also a little grey box that says "HOLD". Does this mean I'm on hold for a re-review?
Also if you hover your cursor over it the text says it is a hold for MCAT scores
No. It will say "Application on Hold" instead of "Application Complete" above those little boxes.
Yup..it will be very clear. I believe mine had "Application On Hold" in large font and in bold on the top line. The descriptive text below said something to the effect of "Your application has been held for re-review later on in the cycle. We encourage you to send us update letters etc. "
Are we allowed to send update letters (through email) before the initial review? Or can we only send them if we are placed on hold/receive an interview?
Are we allowed to send update letters (through email) before the initial review? Or can we only send them if we are placed on hold/receive an interview?
I would only if you are on hold.
W
wowstrongkill
Submitted secondary on Saturday...
GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TODAY.
3.50 general gpa///3.54 bcpm///32R (11, 11, 10)///URM
I don't know what to do with myself. I didn't expect it to happen. Incredibly excited!
I must prepare!!!
words cannot...even...describe...hnnnngngggghhh
GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TODAY.
3.50 general gpa///3.54 bcpm///32R (11, 11, 10)///URM
I don't know what to do with myself. I didn't expect it to happen. Incredibly excited!
I must prepare!!!
words cannot...even...describe...hnnnngngggghhh
Application finally complete. I just got my second MCAT score back yesterday and was pleasantly surprised with a 35, so hopefully I have a much better chance at U of C now.
Does this have to medicine related? I work for many years and held leadership positions at the high school where I taught and I wanted to discuss the challenges of trying to bring change in a low performing, low income neighborhood public school without the support of school administration.
Also, i have a friend applying here- do you think in the additional info section she should mention that she started a business which lasted for 3 yrs but had to shut down because of post bacc work? ( she started the business while completing a masters and working a full- time job). How do you think the adcom will view that experience?
Also, i have a friend applying here- do you think in the additional info section she should mention that she started a business which lasted for 3 yrs but had to shut down because of post bacc work? ( she started the business while completing a masters and working a full- time job). How do you think the adcom will view that experience?
Does this have to medicine related? I work for many years and held leadership positions at the high school where I taught and I wanted to discuss the challenges of trying to bring change in a low performing, low income neighborhood public school without the support of school administration.
Also, i have a friend applying here- do you think in the additional info section she should mention that she started a business which lasted for 3 yrs but had to shut down because of post bacc work? ( she started the business while completing a masters and working a full- time job). How do you think the adcom will view that experience?
Definitely doesn't have to be related.
And that sounds like a good thing to talk about. Obviously it's difficult to say with limited information, but I don't see an obvious problem with it.
Secondary Submitted 7/18, Secondary Complete 7/20, Primary Verified 8/6. Waiting to hear back - anyone in the same boat?
Verified 8/7, so I guess that's kinda in the same boat.
Verified 8/7, so I guess that's kinda in the same boat.
I was verified 8/7 also, but it took a couple days after that for them to receive my secondaries. My application was officially complete 8/9 and still waiting on a response. It has only been two days, so not really worrying about it at this point.
I was verified 8/7 also, but it took a couple days after that for them to receive my secondaries. My application was officially complete 8/9 and still waiting on a response. It has only been two days, so not really worrying about it at this point.
Especially since we're now in the weekend. 🙂
For those of you that are waiting, hang tight! You WILL get a decision at some point.
It's the guy from the pritzker podcast! I just found it and it's really informative for us pre-meds, thanks for doing it!
Glad you like it. 🙂
im wondering that too...id guess probably after you send in an update?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just submitted! I worked on these essays longer than any of my other ones because I'd really like to go here. A physician mentor of mine is a teacher/researcher/clinician here and she raves about how great this school is. Really hoping for an interview even though less than school average stats
Does anyone know approximately when the apps that were held for further review will be reconsidered?
Of course there are exceptions, however the past couple of years most people that I've seen that were continued but invited to interview got invites around November or December and later. Again, that's just a rough guideline so take it for what it's worth, but that's when I would expect to hear back.
Received my secondary today. I'm new to SDN (came here because I was also wondering why I also got my secondary before my AMCAS was verified), and I just have a few questions to current medical students about the school:
1. Do you guys take shelf exams? How well do the classes prepare you for Step 1 material, and how do the students score on the shelf exams and boards? What is the matching rate?
2. Do most accepted economically disadvantaged students get financial aid?
3. Which hospitals do you rotate in? (Are they all in Chicago?)
Thanks a lot, this thread has been very helpful. This school is quite a reach for me, but I love Chicago and hope I get in somewhere in the city! 🙂
1. Do you guys take shelf exams? How well do the classes prepare you for Step 1 material, and how do the students score on the shelf exams and boards? What is the matching rate?
2. Do most accepted economically disadvantaged students get financial aid?
3. Which hospitals do you rotate in? (Are they all in Chicago?)
Thanks a lot, this thread has been very helpful. This school is quite a reach for me, but I love Chicago and hope I get in somewhere in the city! 🙂
Received my secondary today. I'm new to SDN (came here because I was also wondering why I also got my secondary before my AMCAS was verified), and I just have a few questions to current medical students about the school:
1. Do you guys take shelf exams? How well do the classes prepare you for Step 1 material, and how do the students score on the shelf exams and boards? What is the matching rate?
2. Do most accepted economically disadvantaged students get financial aid?
3. Which hospitals do you rotate in? (Are they all in Chicago?)
Thanks a lot, this thread has been very helpful. This school is quite a reach for me, but I love Chicago and hope I get in somewhere in the city! 🙂
1) I'm assuming shelf exams are taken during third year, but there were none during first year and I don't think there are any during second year.
2) Not sure, but there's a SIGNIFICANT amount of merit aid available to the class. However, all of my interactions with the financial aid office have been great, and if money is a serious concern, then I would suggest talking to them. They seem more than willing to make it work if at all possible.
3) Yes - the two main hospital systems students rotate in are UCMC (U of C's medical center) and the NorthShore system, which is ~45 minutes north of Chicago in the Evanston suburb. The school will pay for you to stay in a hotel if you rotate there, and if you don't have a car there's a shuttle that runs from the hospital to the hotel. I'm not too sure about any more than that though. I think you can list preferences for where you'd like to be (UCMC vs. NorthShore), but I don't think those can always be accommodated. It's entirely possible/likely that you will do at least one rotation at NorthShore based on the upperclassmen I've talked to.
Hopefully Ben can provide some mana-from-above fourth year insight.
Rejected today, complete 7/10. MSTP applicant. At least they didn't leave me hanging!
Rejected today, complete 7/10. MSTP applicant. At least they didn't leave me hanging!
Yeah, if other schools were this fast, much of the pain of waiting would be taken out of the med school admissions process!
1) I'm assuming shelf exams are taken during third year, but there were none during first year and I don't think there are any during second year.
2) Not sure, but there's a SIGNIFICANT amount of merit aid available to the class. However, all of my interactions with the financial aid office have been great, and if money is a serious concern, then I would suggest talking to them. They seem more than willing to make it work if at all possible.
3) Yes - the two main hospital systems students rotate in are UCMC (U of C's medical center) and the NorthShore system, which is ~45 minutes north of Chicago in the Evanston suburb. The school will pay for you to stay in a hotel if you rotate there, and if you don't have a car there's a shuttle that runs from the hospital to the hotel. I'm not too sure about any more than that though. I think you can list preferences for where you'd like to be (UCMC vs. NorthShore), but I don't think those can always be accommodated. It's entirely possible/likely that you will do at least one rotation at NorthShore based on the upperclassmen I've talked to.
Hopefully Ben can provide some mana-from-above fourth year insight.
Pritzker gave out $11 million in merit and need based aid last cycle.
I would also like to hear about 3rd year from Ben and what his experiences were like.
I am getting pretty excited to check out Chicago after my interview. I've never spent any time there. I'm flying in on a Wednesday, interview on Thursday, & flying out on Saturday afternoon...what the heck should I do? For folks who got accepted, what do you think are some important things to check out (other than Pritzker) when one is deciding whether to spend 4 years in Chi-town? I've been told it's a great city, but I don't know a lot of specifics.
Edit: For anyone interviewing to whom this may apply, I just found a pretty cool document that the University puts together on LGBTQ student life: http://lgbtq.uchicago.edu/compass
Edit: For anyone interviewing to whom this may apply, I just found a pretty cool document that the University puts together on LGBTQ student life: http://lgbtq.uchicago.edu/compass
Last edited:
got rejected tonight.. 3.75 GPA 35 MCAT & put a lot of time into the secondary.. disappointing, but at least i gave it a shot! best of luck to everyone else out there!
got rejected tonight.. 3.75 GPA 35 MCAT & put a lot of time into the secondary.. disappointing, but at least i gave it a shot! best of luck to everyone else out there!
Sorry to hear. What time did you get the email?
Best of luck on your other apps!
Sorry to hear. What time did you get the email?
Got the email at 8:40pm, which was a little surprising.. Secondary was verified on 07/18, for those of you trying to figure out their processing time..
I am getting pretty excited to check out Chicago after my interview. I've never spent any time there. I'm flying in on a Wednesday, interview on Thursday, & flying out on Saturday afternoon...what the heck should I do? For folks who got accepted, what do you think are some important things to check out (other than Pritzker) when one is deciding whether to spend 4 years in Chi-town? I've been told it's a great city, but I don't know a lot of specifics.
Edit: For anyone interviewing to whom this may apply, I just found a pretty cool document that the University puts together on LGBTQ student life: http://lgbtq.uchicago.edu/compass
Typical tourist things: check out Grant park, go downtown and walk along the Magnificent Mile, go check out one of the beaches, Navy Pier... all kinds of stuff. If you're into trying food, Lincoln Park is a good place to go. Really if you just wander around the city you'll find stuff to do.
I am getting pretty excited to check out Chicago after my interview. I've never spent any time there. I'm flying in on a Wednesday, interview on Thursday, & flying out on Saturday afternoon...what the heck should I do? For folks who got accepted, what do you think are some important things to check out (other than Pritzker) when one is deciding whether to spend 4 years in Chi-town? I've been told it's a great city, but I don't know a lot of specifics.
Edit: For anyone interviewing to whom this may apply, I just found a pretty cool document that the University puts together on LGBTQ student life: http://lgbtq.uchicago.edu/compass
The Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, and Field Museum are all right next to each in Millenium Park just a short bus ride away from the University. A bit further north is the Hancock tower and Art Institute. You could probably book yourself a bus tour, segway tour, or boat tour if you want to make sure to at least see the main tourist attractions of the city.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, and Field Museum are all right next to each in Millenium Park just a short bus ride away from the University. A bit further north is the Hancock tower and Art Institute. You could probably book yourself a bus tour, segway tour, or boat tour if you want to make sure to at least see the main tourist attractions of the city.
Good call... should've thought of that stuff, haha.
(sent from my phone)
Rejected with a 3.87 and 38Q. Gotta say I'm a little surprised.
Because numbers aren't everything. 😉 Best of luck to you.
(sent from my phone)
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K