2012-2013 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tnanks. Yea, better safe than sorry. I made me remember my third time in the court.
I sued someone because of traffic accident. But I lost the case, should I include that too?
From those experience except for the speeding ticket, I really felt that foreigners (I'm a foreigner) are sometimes in a disavantaged status in the court.

The exact wording escapes me... If the question asks for any appearances before a judge, then you ought to include it. However, if it asks for criminal charges brought against you, then you may not need to... Again, look at the wording carefully.

And NickNaylor, you are awesome!!! I might have to take you up on meeting you as soon as I get the money to book a flight and get things situated... haha...
 
Sorry if this has already been asked, but for the secondary question regarding a challenging situation we overcame, can we talk about a situation that happened in high school or does it have to be during college?

Thanks.
 
A quick note to those invited to interview thus far (and everyone in general).

Pritzker has a student hosting program which you likely heard/will hear about in your interview invitation e-mail. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of that opportunity! It's a great way to save money and, perhaps more importantly, learn about the school from the perspective of a student. As one of the hosting coordinators (at least until the incoming first year class takes over), please feel free to PM me if you run into any problems with getting a host. We're still getting everything set up, but you should start receiving confirmations from the coordinators relatively shortly.

Let me know if you have any questions about hosting or anything else. Hope the applications are going well!
Hi,

I have scheduled my interview on 9/10 Monday and is currently booking my flight. If I am interested in the student hosting, should I book my flight to Chicago Midway to arrive early (or not too late) on 9/9 (Sunday) so it will not cause inconvenience to the medical student? I can either arrive at 2:30pm, 5:20pm or 8:40pm and am wondering if I should book the 2:30pm flight or the 5:20pm flight at the latest. Thank you.
 
This is essentially a deferred decision: you're not being rejected, but you aren't getting invited to interview for now; you will continue to be evaluated with other applicants in the future. A relatively large portion of interview invites come from people that get a hold status, so I would encourage you to stay involved in the process if Pritzker is one of your top choices. While it of course varies, you likely won't hear much until later on in the cycle (e.g., November or December).

I was complete on 7/11. My application is still "complete" no hold or interview. Others who submitted after me have already received decisions re: hold or interview. Does this mean they read the applications of people with higher numbers first? It sounds like nobody's even looked at me yet.. I have a 3.7/35

Things are looking more and more hopeless as time goes on 🙁
 
I was complete on 7/11. My application is still "complete" no hold or interview. Others who submitted after me have already received decisions re: hold or interview. Does this mean they read the applications of people with higher numbers first? It sounds like nobody's even looked at me yet.. I have a 3.7/35

Things are looking more and more hopeless as time goes on 🙁

There are several of us here who submitted 7/9-7/11 who haven't received any decision yet. I'm a 3.7/36, so I don't think it has anything to do with our numbers or applications. If it gets to be 4 weeks complete, I'm going to call. It seems weird that it's only people between those dates that seem to have waited so long. Though I'm sure if there's 5 of us on sdn (go back one page) then there are many others elsewhere.
 
There are several of us here who submitted 7/9-7/11 who haven't received any decision yet. I'm a 3.7/36, so I don't think it has anything to do with our numbers or applications. If it gets to be 4 weeks complete, I'm going to call. It seems weird that it's only people between those dates that seem to have waited so long. Though I'm sure if there's 5 of us on sdn (go back one page) then there are many others elsewhere.

I agree that it isn't stats. However I have some community college coursework and wonder if that's the holdup - emystar or anyone else have that in common with me?
 
Hey guys,

Honestly, my suggestion is to try to not look too much into how long you've been waiting to be reviewed. It really could be as simple as the person/people assigned to review your files have been busy, have been on vacation, etc.. There's not necessarily a reason related to your app that explains the delay. I assure you that the school tries to be as open and forthcoming as possible throughout the process - they aren't in the business of being enigmatic for the sake of being enigmatic. The root cause really like is something benign.

If it's getting to you I would encourage you to call the admissions office just to verify that nothing is holding your app up, but I doubt you'll get much information other than a fairly generic response. I remember being in your shoes and I know the waiting is painful, but don't drive yourselves crazy trying to rationalize everything. Sometimes things just happen. 😉
 
I agree that it isn't stats. However I have some community college coursework and wonder if that's the holdup - emystar or anyone else have that in common with me?

No I don't have any cc coursework. When I thought I was the only one being held up, I thought my file might have a problem or something. But with several people on sdn in the same boat, I think it's probably for one of the reasons NickNaylor said or something like it. I like you have already received several interview invites so I'm just trying to focus on getting ready for those, though it's hard since this is one of my top choices. Good luck and let me know when you hear something!
 
Sorry if this has already been asked, but for the secondary question regarding a challenging situation we overcame, can we talk about a situation that happened in high school or does it have to be during college?

Thanks.

More recent experiences are better, but there is no strict rule.
 
Hey guys,

Honestly, my suggestion is to try to not look too much into how long you've been waiting to be reviewed. It really could be as simple as the person/people assigned to review your files have been busy, have been on vacation, etc.. There's not necessarily a reason related to your app that explains the delay. I assure you that the school tries to be as open and forthcoming as possible throughout the process - they aren't in the business of being enigmatic for the sake of being enigmatic. The root cause really like is something benign.

If it's getting to you I would encourage you to call the admissions office just to verify that nothing is holding your app up, but I doubt you'll get much information other than a fairly generic response. I remember being in your shoes and I know the waiting is painful, but don't drive yourselves crazy trying to rationalize everything. Sometimes things just happen. 😉

Ahh, I didn't realize stacks of files were assigned to specific people. Thanks for that info NickNaylor.

And yeah, the waiting game is definitely the most nerve-wracking part of the app process so far.
 
There are several of us here who submitted 7/9-7/11 who haven't received any decision yet. I'm a 3.7/36, so I don't think it has anything to do with our numbers or applications. If it gets to be 4 weeks complete, I'm going to call. It seems weird that it's only people between those dates that seem to have waited so long. Though I'm sure if there's 5 of us on sdn (go back one page) then there are many others elsewhere.

If it helps my numbers are almost the same as you guys and I got an interview invite. And no news at all from other schools, haha. So I do think it's a random process, definitely don't worry yet it's all so early in the cycle!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it helps my numbers are almost the same as you guys and I got an interview invite. And no news at all from other schools, haha. So I do think it's a random process, definitely don't worry yet it's all so early in the cycle!

That would be pretty strange if people with the same or better stats didn't get an interview. But I'm sure it's bound to happen sometimes when so many people apply
 
Not a problem.

By the way, I should add I would be happy to meet with anyone when they're up here in Chicago. Just PM me and we can work something out.

I've heard interviews can go until 3 or later, depending on when I get out of this I may catch a 6:30 or 9:30 light out of Midway. If it's the later of the two I would love to meet if you have a few free minutes, I'll PM you when it gets closer to the date.
 
I've heard interviews can go until 3 or later, depending on when I get out of this I may catch a 6:30 or 9:30 light out of Midway. If it's the later of the two I would love to meet if you have a few free minutes, I'll PM you when it gets closer to the date.

Sounds good. Just FYI though, you'll be fine with a 6:30 flight. If you want to have some time to walk around downtown, grab dinner, etc. before your flight, though, then go with the 9:30.
 
Sorry if this has already been asked, but for the secondary question regarding a challenging situation we overcame, can we talk about a situation that happened in high school or does it have to be during college?

Thanks.

Hey. I spoke about an experience when I was a teenager. I got an Interview Invite last week. So go for something meaningful.
 
My secondary shows that only 3 of my letters are received, but I actually have 5 letters assigned to them through AMCAS. Is anyone else having this issue, or are there people who have more than 3 letters marked as received on the secondary page?

I'm ready to submit my secondary, but I want to make sure they have all my letters first.
 
what's the turnaround time for interviews/rejections for secondaries submitted now?

edit: my bad, this question has been asked a million times. looks like 2 days - 2+ weeks
 
Hey Nick, do you know if the MD/PhD committee is meeting yet/giving out interviews, or when they typically start doing so?
 
Sorry if this has already been asked, but for the secondary question regarding a challenging situation we overcame, can we talk about a situation that happened in high school or does it have to be during college?

Thanks.
Current Pritzker student here. I rarely check or post on the site but saw this question and wanted to give my two cents.

I was in a similar situation when applying. I had a few challenges that happened during college that I tried writing about, but after spending time trying to write an essay on one of those college challenges, I just didn't feel good about my response because I knew that the biggest challenge I had ever had was in high school. I ended up trashing those essays and writing about the challenge that happened in high school. The essay was much better and took less time to write since I felt it truly was the biggest challenge I had faced.

So if I were you, I would go with whatever was the biggest challenge you've faced, especially if it has helped form who you are today.
 
3 weeks for me today! Complete on 7/9...patiently waiting for a reject/hold/II

Good luck to everyone!

It will be 3 weeks for me tomorrow. A week from now I think I might call. It still seems weird that everyone besides the people in the 7/9-7/11 group are hearing back quickly.
 
It will be 3 weeks for me tomorrow. A week from now I think I might call. It still seems weird that everyone besides the people in the 7/9-7/11 group are hearing back quickly.

If that's true it lends credence to the theory that someone is sitting on a bunch of apps. (Wow, this process really is making me neurotic. 😛)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If that's true it lends credence to the theory that someone is sitting on a bunch of apps. (Wow, this process really is making me neurotic. 😛)

Just another person waiting for that pile of apps to be looked at! App complete 7/10. This hurry-up-and-wait game is killing me!
 
If that's true it lends credence to the theory that someone is sitting on a bunch of apps. (Wow, this process really is making me neurotic. 😛)

I know this process is making me neurotic too haha. I'm sort of starting to wonder if something went wrong with their computer system between those dates. I understand that some apps will take longer than other but the 6 of us or so on SDN that submitted between those dates have essentially waited four times longer (and counting) than the longest wait time I've seen of anyone else (5 to 6 days). I know that it's really unlikely but it doesn't make sense that they would give all of a few days apps to one person who is out of town or something. It seems like they would spread them out over different reviewers so that one doesn't get flooded at once.

Just another person waiting for that pile of apps to be looked at! App complete 7/10. This hurry-up-and-wait game is killing me!
 
I know this process is making me neurotic too haha. I'm sort of starting to wonder if something went wrong with their computer system between those dates. I understand that some apps will take longer than other but the 6 of us or so on SDN that submitted between those dates have essentially waited four times longer (and counting) than the longest wait time I've seen of anyone else (5 to 6 days). I know that it's really unlikely but it doesn't make sense that they would give all of a few days apps to one person who is out of town or something. It seems like they would spread them out over different reviewers so that one doesn't get flooded at once.

Just call them if you're concerned about it. It really isn't a huge deal to call and ask.

(sent from my phone)
 
Complete 7/25.
Rejected 7/30.

They're getting around to them, don't worry. I'd take no news as good news 🙂
Sorry to hear that! Best of luck with the rest of your apps. Just out of curiosity, did they send you an e-mail about the rejection, and was there any change on your status page?? I'm wondering what to look for. The waiting game is killing me ... Chicago is definitely a reach school for me. I would much rather just know that I'm rejected than continue to cling to this nagging feeling of hope haha.
 
Does anyone know how long it takes between the time when letters are received by AMCAS and when letters are marked as received on the Pritzker secondary?
 
These are inputted manually so it will probably take a few days.

Ok, thanks! 🙂 I'm crossing my fingers that my last letter gets inputted soon so I can submit my secondary (I have more than 3 letters so I have to wait, otherwise the application would be marked complete without that last letter).
 
It will be 3 weeks for me tomorrow. A week from now I think I might call. It still seems weird that everyone besides the people in the 7/9-7/11 group are hearing back quickly.
If you call let me know what they say. Like NickNaylor said, they probably won't say much if it is a usual thing. Otherwise they may find our apps on the floor somewhere and thank you!! haha
 
Interview invite today! I was complete on 7/19, so maybe some of the other people in that 2 week wait group will hear something today...
 
Rejecteddddd...womp womp.

FWIW: 3.86 cGPA, 3.87 sGPA, 34Q

Edit: complete 7/24, rejected 8/1
 
Last edited:
Congrats!

Also, blergh. Complete 7/26 and I haven't heard a peep. Commence increase in neurotic email-checking behavior.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone keeps saying "U of C will look at your whole application, they're not so focused on MCAT scores, etc." but it seems like everyone on here getting interviews have 35+. I'm starting to get really discouraged...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.