2012-2013 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students chime in on what the housing situation is like in Columbia? Is there a lot of overlap with the undergrads?

Can any current students chime in on what the housing situation is like in Columbia? Is there a lot of overlap with the undergrads?

Soon-to-be-second-year here. There's so many choices in Columbia as far as housing and the cost-of-living is very reasonable. Most places will overlap with undergrads unfortunately. There are a few places that are only for graduate students, one place with a 21+ age restriction and another one with 22+ age restriction. One place I'm thinking of that is grad-only is called Ashley Ridge (http://www.denice.com/ashley-ridge-luxury-condos/). This place is within walking distance of the med school. Another place that is 21+ is called Katy Place Apartments (http://www.katyplaceapts.com/home.asp). This place is relatively close to school and is nice. The other place that is 22+ is Deer Valley Apartments (http://www.deervalleyapts.com/). This place is very close to school and is very nice. I have lived in Deer Valley for two years and just signed on for a third. Another place that is 22+ is Broadway Village Apartments (http://www.apt4u.com/). Decent place but a bit outdated but is close to school.

There are many places I would stay away from as a med student if you're not into listening to noise from undergrads. These would include: The Reserve, Campus Lodge, Copper Beech, Grindstone Canyon, anything Brookside (they're building these apartments all over town), The Cottages, Ashwood Apartments and Campus View. These are the ones I can think of at the moment. Check out apartmentratings.com for more info on all these. These are just my personal opinion. Some med students have lived here and might have enjoyed it but I've been in Columbia for six years and have lived/experienced the aforementioned apartments and have had negative experiences. I can't stand the parties, thumping music, yelling at night, etc and you're likely to get that with the undergrad places.

Another place to consider that is open to anyone but isn't specific for a single population is The Links/The Greens. It's nice and has a variety of people. Some undergrads here but they tend to be the more quiet ones. I lived here for two years and it was ok. Definitely read the apartmentratings.com here though and see what you think ( a lot of negative reviews).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming MS1 here... Fire away if you have any questions. I know SDN really helped me out as a pre-med, so I'm more than happy to give back.

Is this a separate med school altogether from the other U of Missouri Kansas City?
Is it rude to refer to this school as "MIZZOU" in secondaries?
And does this school send secondaries before receiving an mcat score?
Also when does this school review completed apps, July or August?
Thanks!

Is this a separate med school altogether from the other U of Missouri Kansas City?
Thanks!

I'd like to know the dates also.

Yep, they have a separate application and everything. UMKC in the past didn't use the AMCAS, but that's another matter.
I don't think anyone would think twice about you using Mizzou. Mizzou is an officially recognized colloquialism.
I have no idea. I guess they might if you are an in-state student.
Thanks!
Interviews start in October. I know they like to send out notifications about 6 weeks ahead of the interviews so I think the admissions committee starts reviewing applications in late August. That being said if you are in-state with a 3.5 GPA and 30+ MCAT you qualify for an automatic interview or at least you did in the past. This may have changed.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Yes, it is a completely different medical school. I do not think it is rude to say MIZZOU, but why not be safe and say and just say Missouri? I am not sure when they review applications, but I submitted mine on the first possible day and received an interview on September 14th for October 3rd.

Hey, current Mizzou undergrad student here. I'll hopefully be matriculating with you guys so feel free to shoot me any questions about the city. In regards to calling it Mizzou, pretty much everyone calls it that. Actually, I can't think of anyone who refers to the university by any other name. To be on the safe side, you can refer to it as the University of Missouri in the first instance and then Mizzou every time after that.

Interesting tidbit, there was a big deal a few years ago about attaching "-Columbia" to the end of the name. Officially, it's now just "the University of Missouri" and the Columbia portion isn't generally used.

So one of the prompts from last year was "Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply."

Is it appropriate to address negative parts of my application (like low freshman/sophmore GPA)? or are they looking for positive things only?

So one of the prompts from last year was "Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply."

Is it appropriate to address negative parts of my application (like low freshman/sophmore GPA)? or are they looking for positive things only?
If you have a really negative part on your application that you want to explain away (low GPA because of a death in your family that semester, etc) then do it there. If not, I'd stay away from bringing up negatives on your own, focus on bringing up positive things that couldn't fit elsewhere.

If you have a really negative part on your application that you want to explain away (low GPA because of a death in your family that semester, etc) then do it there. If not, I'd stay away from bringing up negatives on your own, focus on bringing up positive things that couldn't fit elsewhere.

Well I did have an abysmally low GPA freshman year. I was put on academic probation though, so it is explained pretty thoroughly on my AMCAS. I finished pre-writing Mizzou's secondary earlier and decided to leave out the low GPA. Focused on my commitment to staying in Missouri after medical school/residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I'm a reapplicant, I was interviewed at Mizzou last cycle but was unfortunately not accepted :cry: But of course I'm excited to reapply this time around with a (hopefully) stronger app. If you have any questions about interview day or anything, it's still fresh in my mind ;)

Bump. Any secondaries sent yet?

I'm not verified yet :( I'm pretty sure the secondaries are exactly the same every year, though. I'm gonna try and pre-write as many as I can, I made the mistake of not doing that last time.

Secondary invite! 3.00c/3.14s/33 IS.

Can't upload the photo :/

Just called. The girl laughed and said that she's already gotten a ton of calls about the photos not working. She said to jsut email them a photo and they would upload it themselves.

Edit: Need to mail in the fee? Lame.

Last edited:
I forgot that Mizzou has you mail in the fee.. seems a little silly. But I did that for at least a few different schools last time.

They just sent me the Prove your loyality email. Lets see if my family living in St.Louis and my father graduating from the school counts as strong ties to Missouri.

They just sent me the Prove your loyality email. Lets see if my family living in St.Louis and my father graduating from the school counts as strong ties to Missouri.

Prove your loyalty?

Prove your loyalty?

Yes they send this to all OOS applicants. You have to write an essay explaining why you are applying their and why Mizzou should send you a secondary even though they have a huge in state preference. My whole family lives in STL and I would like to after med school and all.

Yes they send this to all OOS applicants. You have to write an essay explaining why you are applying their and why Mizzou should send you a secondary even though they have a huge in state preference. My whole family lives in STL and I would like to after med school and all.

You should have no problem then, if your whole family lives in MO. And you have decent stats :p

You should have no problem then, if your whole family lives in MO. And you have decent stats :p

My stats are Meh...3.4 GPA with a 32Q MCAT... I am hoping the special master program I am in is what puts me over the top, however I wouldn't be shocked if they told me to kick rocks

My stats are Meh...3.4 GPA with a 32Q MCAT... I am hoping the special master program I am in is what puts me over the top, however I wouldn't be shocked if they told me to kick rocks

Well, your mcat is above their accepted average. You never know. I'm IS and I was rejected post-interview... surprises happen!

Oh that's interesting. Good luck!

"Kick rocks" always makes me laugh :)

Complete email today.

Would living in a neighboring state be fair grounds for getting a shot here? I realize it's not "strong ties" but I do have some family in Missouri and plan on practicing in the midwest. I know they have a strong IS preference and I guess I'm just hoping they extend that to regional even a little bit

Has anyone heard about interviews yet? This is my second time applying and I'm going the early decision route this year. And thanks to the med student with all the apartment info. If I ever get in that'll be really useful.

Would living in a neighboring state be fair grounds for getting a shot here? I realize it's not "strong ties" but I do have some family in Missouri and plan on practicing in the midwest. I know they have a strong IS preference and I guess I'm just hoping they extend that to regional even a little bit
You'll probably have a better chance than someone from a not neighboring state. However, last year's entering class only had 16 out of state students so maybe not that strong of an advantage.

The website does state this though:

"Residents of geographically-contiguous states (Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and Oklahoma) are encouraged to submit applications if they have particularly strong credentials."

You'll probably have a better chance than someone from a not neighboring state. However, last year's entering class only had 16 out of state students so maybe not that strong of an advantage.

If you are talking about 2011-2012 16 out of 94 spots is pretty good compared to other state schools. Also keep in mind about 30 of those spots were committed through scholarship programs were from the Conley and other scholarships, and not available to AMCAS applicants.

Hmm, maybe, I'm not applying out of state so I haven't really looked at in/out of state preferences for other schools. I think 30 is a bit inflated though, there are only about 10 Conley scholars next year and I'd assume a similar number of Bryant scholars. Which is good for everyone :).

Any IS applicants get an interview yet?

To current students/reapplicants: how long does it take to get a response from them after submitting your secondary?

Also, I heard that they've discontinued the Conley Scholars program, but I'm not sure which year consists of their last entering class.

Last edited:
Also, I heard that they've discontinued the Conley Scholars program, but I'm not sure which year consists of their last entering class.

You've heard correctly. I'm Conley and we're the last entering class (entering 2013). They phased it out gradually though, so there's only about 10 of us.

You've heard correctly. I'm Conley and we're the last entering class (entering 2013). They phased it out gradually though, so there's only about 10 of us.
out of curiosity, why did they stop the program?

and I hope to be joining you next year at Mizzou!

Could someone post the secondary prompts please? My AMCAS was submitted late and I'm still waiting on verification :(

Could someone post the secondary prompts please? My AMCAS was submitted late and I'm still waiting on verification :(
There are two prompts for the secondary and both have a max character limit of 2000. Good luck!

Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply.

Please outline how you might add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine. This could reference specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.

For reapplicants: In the space provided below, please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief application history (including when you first applied and the number of application attempts). Please describe in detail the ways in which this application is superior to your previous application(s).(3000 character limit)

out of curiosity, why did they stop the program?

and I hope to be joining you next year at Mizzou!

Yup, hope to see you in class next year :).

I'm not entirely sure why they stopped it. I've gotten different answers from different people I've talked to at the medical school. The most likely explanation seems to be that the program was originally designed to get students at Mizzou who would otherwise have gone to other medical schools and as a result, boost the schools stats. The data showed that Conleys and non-Conleys were statistically identical in how they performed in medical school and beyond so that was a big factor in discontinuing it. That explanation might be completely wrong but it's the only I've been told that seems to make sense.

Has anyone gotten interview invites yet?

Come on Mizzou, show me some IS love!

They said in the completion email that committee review of applications doesn't start until early September.

Oh no! I didn't get my completion email yet, but I'm pretty sure I've submitted everything and my LORs are in. Maybe I should call in?

Oh no! I didn't get my completion email yet, but I'm pretty sure I've submitted everything and my LORs are in. Maybe I should call in?

Well, this is what they sent me shortly after I submitted:

"Dear Applicant,

The University of Missouri School of Medicine wishes to inform you that your application file is complete. Invitation to interview is pending Committee review (this will not begin until early September). Interviews are conducted October through February.

Admissions Office
School of Medicine
University of Missouri"

Well, this is what they sent me shortly after I submitted:

"Dear Applicant,

The University of Missouri School of Medicine wishes to inform you that your application file is complete. Invitation to interview is pending Committee review (this will not begin until early September). Interviews are conducted October through February.

Admissions Office
School of Medicine
University of Missouri"

Sounds good, thanks! I'll wait a bit to see if they send me a complete email and then give them a call.

Hey all, first time posting here, I am glad to see we have a thread going! I was just wondering if anyone else is from Mizzou's undergrad and has had their committee interview yet. I had mine earlier this week and am not sure what to think. I don't think it went horribly, but I am not sure it went well either.

Status
Not open for further replies.