2012-2013 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was complete on 9/12 - should I be worried about that being too late? I'm currently in an SMP. Mizzou is my first choice (Jefferson City is my hometown).

Here are my stats:
3.18 uGPA, 3.93 gGPA (from the SMP), 31Q IS.

3.00/3.14/33Q IS URM.. no interview love. :(

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Mizzou sends out interview invites over a long period of time. I didn't receive an interview invite until December of my application year and interviewed in January. Obviously they are going to interview the most stellar applicants with extremely high GPAs and MCAT scores first (Sep, Oct, November) but when interview season is all said and done, the people who interview later aren't at any disadvantage as those students who interview first are likely to be accepted at other places and may choose those places over MU. It's a long process but your MCAT scores are right on target for MU. The undergrad GPAs not so much though. Just wait it out and I wouldn't get worried until January/February.

Members don't see this ad.

Mizzou sends out interview invites over a long period of time. I didn't receive an interview invite until December of my application year and interviewed in January. Obviously they are going to interview the most stellar applicants with extremely high GPAs and MCAT scores first (Sep, Oct, November) but when interview season is all said and done, the people who interview later aren't at any disadvantage as those students who interview first are likely to be accepted at other places and may choose those places over MU. It's a long process but your MCAT scores are right on target for MU. The undergrad GPAs not so much though. Just wait it out and I wouldn't get worried until January/February.

Thanks! That gives me SOME hope :laugh:

Thanks! That gives me SOME hope :laugh:

Me too :laugh: I'm just starting to worry because I got an II about 5 weeks after submitting last year, and I have better stats this year. I think there's an increase in # of apps though, so maybe they're a little behind? I can only guess :p

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks! It's been a strange cycle so far. II at two of my reach schools amd nothing from my state school.

I called admissions and they said they look favorably upon a good performance in a medically relevant grad program - could you shine any light on that, jtdMU2010? Do you know anyone in your class that was in the situation?They have been really friendly to me over the phone, definitely one of the best set of people I've talked to over the course of this process! :D

Thanks! It's been a strange cycle so far. II at two of my reach schools amd nothing from my state school.

No problem. It's weird how interview invites go but that's great you're getting some of your reach schools!

I called admissions and they said they look favorably upon a good performance in a medically relevant grad program - could you shine any light on that, jtdMU2010? Do you know anyone in your class that was in the situation?They have been really friendly to me over the phone, definitely one of the best set of people I've talked to over the course of this process! :D

Yeah, the admission staff is great at MU.

I don't know anybody who did a specific med-relevant grad program so I can't speak too much on that.

I can think of four people in my class who have an MPH or a one year master's. Probably some more in the class though. Having an MPH degree or the one year master's definitely would improve your chances if you have to make up for a lower MCAT or a lower GPA. The majority of my class are people who came straight from undergrad, a few 30 year old non-trads, 10-15ish people who took 1-2 years off to do research/other stuff/Master's, a couple of PhDs and somewhere around 30-40% went to MU undergrad so that gives you just a general idea of how many people do the master's/MPH thing. If you're doing a med-relevant master's with similar course work as med school, I think that would be the best thing to improve your app since if you can handle that, you'd likely be able to handle med school.

I am OOS and got a letter from University of Missouri to provide why I would like to be considered as an out-of-state applicant. I have to fax the reply.

Did any of you get such a response

I am OOS and got a letter from University of Missouri to provide why I would like to be considered as an out-of-state applicant. I have to fax the reply.

Did any of you get such a response

All OOS must complete the pre-secondary app before they can be considered for a secondary.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yup, Jtd is correct. It's only September so don't panic if you don't have an interview invite yet. I was complete in (oh god) November last year and still interviewed in January.

Stay optimistic and hang in there! :)

Thanks for the help you guys! And if I get in, Shakespeare's on me! :D

I'm an M1 here as well, and I know there are a few people in our class who did SMP's. The way it was explained to me by an admissions person here when I was applying is that the SMP's are very helpful if undergraduate grades are the weak spot in your application. Good grades in a grad program will not make up for lack of clinical experience, volunteering etc. Like jtd said, don't worry, it's super early.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an M1 here as well, and I know there are a few people in our class who did SMP's. The way it was explained to me by an admissions person here when I was applying is that the SMP's are very helpful if undergraduate grades are the weak spot in your application. Good grades in a grad program will not make up for lack of clinical experience, volunteering etc. Like jtd said, don't worry, it's super early.

Awesome! I'll do the best I can to finish up on a good note. Thanks for the insight!

just got an interview for nov 13, but hoping to reschedule...

just got an interview for nov 13, but hoping to reschedule...

I got one for the 12th and rescheduled. I replied to the invite email and got a response within 5 minutes.

Sent from my Nexus 7

3.6/31S/OOS , complete 8/21

just confirmed for nov 14

I just got accepted. Is there a facebook group for our class yet?

Since no one replied, I created one :).

Edit: The school created a facebook page for the class of 2017 already. I deleted mine.

Last edited:
Congrats! Do they just e-mail you? or do they call you, too?

Thank you. They gave me a call first and then sent me an email.

Congratulations! Do you mind posting your stats and when you interviewed?

3.9/32. Interviewed on 10/15

Did you not pick up when they called or something?

I did not pick up at the first time when they called. So they sent me an email asking me to call them back. So I called back and they said I got accepted. Acceptance email was sent later.

3.9/32. Interviewed on 10/15

I did not pick up at the first time when they called. So they sent me an email asking me to call them back. So I called back and they said I got accepted. Acceptance email was sent later.

Congrats! What day did you actually get the call?

II received today for 11/20. Anybody else going?

Kinds of questions: 1) Why do you want to be a doctor, 2) Why Mizzou?, 3) Do you think you'll like PBL, 4) Who has influenced you to become a doctor, 5) What does your family/gf think of your career choice, 5) How will you balance your medical career, family and an outside life, 6) Where do you see yourself in 10 years?, 7) What specialty are you thinking and why, 8) What was your favorite college class and why? 9) What kind of music would you play in the OR?, 10) What if you and someone in PBL had an argument and how would you handle the conflict?, 11) Tell me about your research?, 12) What interests you outside of medicine?, 13) What will you do if you don't get accepted this year, 14) What books have you been reading?, 15) What are your thoughts on the state of our current health care system?, 16) How would you treat a patient if they wanted to have an abortion and you were against abortion, 17) What would you do if you couldn't be a doctor? and lastly 18) Why should we accept you and how are you better than the next person applying? The first question I got was "Tell me about yourself." That question sucks and I talked forever so prepare for that one seriously.

The school is great and the people are cool. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else and I chose it because it was my only acceptance.

I did undergrad at MU and the transition isn't as bad as students from other schools but it's still bad. You wont ever venture on the undergrad campus anymore and school is brutal at times. But at least you know the town, you get to keep your pawprint and you know resources around campus for when you need it.

That was a long post!

During my interviews I got to talk a lot about my work with student government (I spent 2.5 years in those leadership positions), and my research. If you do any sort of research (especially if you have publications), make sure you know your topic like the back of your hand because they will ask you about the tiny details. They also want to get to know your personality and will ask you to describe yourself, etc. I was actually preparing for quite a few ethical questions but my interviews mostly asked about my research, clinical experiences and undergrad activities.

7 weeks in, I absolutely love Mizzou and the overall curriculum. We're two weeks away from our first test week (we have 8 weeks of class and then a week of testing, and a free week off) so I can't exactly gauge how much I've learned yet. Although there are frustrating moments, overall I'm a huge fan of the PBL curriculum, and it seems that everyone here really pulls their weight to help each other learn. One of my favourite aspects of Mizzou is the cooperative learning process; all the classes in year 1 are P/F, and there are no internal rankings, no comparative grading scales, etc, so people are truly vested in helping each other out.

Sorry for quoting the two long posts. I just wanted to thank you for the advice. Seems like the questions are pretty standard ones. Just wondering what you really like about Mizzou and prompted you to go there.

As for the questions, did anybody who interviewed there already this cycle get anything different or off the wall?

Also, I've been doing research for a long time, but a lot of it is my PI instructing me what to do. I'm going to go back and review my presentations and papers from yesteryear, but I'm curious: how well did you know your research projects, and do you remember how in-depth the questions were?

Nothing too detailed. I was just asked to explain what my research was and what I'm doing. Be able to talk intelligently and confidently about your work and you'll do great.

Also, I've been doing research for a long time, but a lot of it is my PI instructing me what to do. I'm going to go back and review my presentations and papers from yesteryear, but I'm curious: how well did you know your research projects, and do you remember how in-depth the questions were?

The questions aren't too in-depth, they want to see if you actually know what you're researching or if you were just the dishwasher in the lab. I'd suggest practicing with a science major friend, try explaining your research to them in a one/two minute speech and ask for feedback on how to make it clear.

Reactions: 1 user
II received today for 11/20. Anybody else going?

Sorry for quoting the two long posts. I just wanted to thank you for the advice. Seems like the questions are pretty standard ones. Just wondering what you really like about Mizzou and prompted you to go there.

As for the questions, did anybody who interviewed there already this cycle get anything different or off the wall?

Things I like about Mizzou med: Pass/Fail, more PBL than lecture, study labs w/ individual desks for us, one week of tests which I prefer to smaller tests spaced out, great facilities and the hospital is currently being renovated throughout and new surgical tower is going up currently, awesome admission staff, cool classmates, having the undergrad campus around and the activities associated with undergrad stuff like football games etc, the town of Columbia, the library is nice and is currently being renovated, reasonable tuition, nice lecture halls, etc. There's not much to not like.

What prompted me to go? I went to Mizzou undergrad, from Missouri, love Columbia and want to practice in Columbia so Mizzou was a no-brainer for me.

Just know your research well enough to talk about it intelligently. I talked about it and then I drew a few things on a whiteboard in the interview room. They just want to see how you explain things such as clear, concise, etc. I think your ability to explain your research helps gauge your ability to present medical material during PBL presentations somewhat. Practice with a friend and definitely going back and reading your stuff like you are doing is a great idea.

I just got an II for 11/14. I'm pumped! I wanted to meet up with someone through the Ambassador Program to get a better feel of the atmosphere. Are any of the current students who post in this forum on the list? Did any of the current students here do the same thing while you interviewed?

I just got an II for 11/14. I'm pumped! I wanted to meet up with someone through the Ambassador Program to get a better feel of the atmosphere. Are any of the current students who post in this forum on the list? Did any of the current students here do the same thing while you interviewed?

:thumbup: Still waiting for my II.... I know they interview into February, but c'mon! I'm a MO resident, but a reapplicant, so maybe they interview reapps later?:confused:

:thumbup: Still waiting for my II.... I know they interview into February, but c'mon! I'm a MO resident, but a reapplicant, so maybe they interview reapps later?:confused:

What are your stats? Mizzou gives every in state applicant with a 28 MCAT and 3.5 gpa an automatic interview. So it may just be them getting around to sending yours out.

What are your stats? Mizzou gives every in state applicant with a 28 MCAT and 3.5 gpa an automatic interview. So it may just be them getting around to sending yours out.

31, 3.9+. I was complete over 8 weeks ago. I'm worried that one of my interviewers last year wrote something like "THIS GIRL IS A PSYCHOPATH, DO NOT EVER INTERVIEW HER AGAIN."

I'm an ambassador for the school. Feel free to PM me if you want to know my name and I can host you at my place if you need a place to crash and are from outside of Columbia or if you just wanted to meet up to talk about the school.

Thanks for your advice guys. I think I'm being paranoid because my gpa sucks, I struck out last year in terms of ii's, and if this is my one and only shot, then I'm gonna have to ace it.

On the bright side, my pre-med advisor says he can't see me insulting anybody and that I'm very personable :)

Dunno if it's because I got rejected pre-interview last year, but I am a reapp. When'd you send your secondary?

Keep your hopes up. It's med school admissions; they do weird things:p

Thanks for your advice guys. I think I'm being paranoid because my gpa sucks, I struck out last year in terms of ii's, and if this is my one and only shot, then I'm gonna have to ace it.

On the bright side, my pre-med advisor says he can't see me insulting anybody and that I'm very personable :)

Dunno if it's because I got rejected pre-interview last year, but I am a reapp. When'd you send your secondary?

Keep your hopes up. It's med school admissions; they do weird things:p

I was rejected post-interview last year, if it makes any difference. I sent the secondary mid-august, and was complete a couple days later.

That is weird. Stranger things have definitely happened though. :xf:

Yeah.... I'm wondering if my app just got shuffled somewhere and lost :laugh: I plan on sending an update pretty soon anyways, so hopefully that will get my app another look, as this is probably my top choice school..

Status
Not open for further replies.