2012-2013 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Patience, dudes, today was the first day. There are how many more until the application cycle is over?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm worried too man. Someone who was complete 7/31 got an II and I was complete 7/27 with no word yet :-/ ... OOS/3.9+/34Q. Pleaseeee USC?!?

I know how you feel! Complete 7/26 but no word yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any of you who got invites doing MSTP? Just wondering if they are slower?

I don't think they're going in date complete order....

Amcas verified 6/7
Secondary Submitted 7/31
Interview Invite 8/10

OOS 31Q 3.33 GPA

Via E-mail Notification

This gives me hope! I was thinking my GPA would be too low. I heard they take best of each section through the grapevine.

I really hope they look kindly upon my grad GPA where I took classes at THEIR med school. Fingers crossed.

Did anyone get a "application complete and under review" email or do they not send any communication until the interview invite?

Patience, dudes, today was the first day. There are how many more until the application cycle is over?
This. I submitted my app pretty early and didn't get an invite til like late January. Deep breaths people!

Reminder: I'm an MS2 and I'm happy to answer questions in this thread or via PM. :luck: to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
more than likely he's alluding to having taken the mcat more than once

Sorry. Yes, that's what I mean. I heard from a credible source that they take the highest subsection score from each of your MCAT administrations.

Sorry. Yes, that's what I mean. I heard from a credible source that they take the highest subsection score from each of your MCAT administrations.

Bah, that would only help my writing score haha =( I don't know how I managed to drop 2 points in writing (S->Q), but everything else remained the same or shot way up. Ah, well.

Bah, that would only help my writing score haha =( I don't know how I managed to drop 2 points in writing (S->Q), but everything else remained the same or shot way up. Ah, well.

Gotta love those subjective rating systems.

rejection today...first rejection i've gotten...hopefully that last one. good luck to everyone else!!!

rejection today...first rejection i've gotten...hopefully that last one. good luck to everyone else!!!

Got the email this morning. First Cali reject. Complete 8/11, fast as hell turnaround. I guess they REALLY didn't want me :laugh:

Got the email this morning. First Cali reject. Complete 8/11, fast as hell turnaround. I guess they REALLY didn't want me :laugh:

Man, that blows! I'm so sorry. I'm sure you'll find plenty of other interested schools, though.

Would you two mind sharing or PMing me your stats? No worries if it makes you too uncomfortable. Good luck!

I was completed 8/10 and haven't received a rejection yet... does that mean I have made a first cut? Or is it a bit random on which applications they select to review first

Hey,

So how honest are you guys being on your secondary responses? If I were to be honest I might put that the gym was my happiest place, and that my 3 hours would be spent going there, but I don't know if USC would not like that/think I'm a huge tool for writing something like that on my med school secondary.

Should I perhaps put something more academically focused, aka maybe go to the library to catch up on some schoolwork with my 3 hours and my favorite place is my study nook in the library?

Hey,

So how honest are you guys being on your secondary responses? If I were to be honest I might put that the gym was my happiest place, and that my 3 hours would be spent going there, but I don't know if USC would not like that/think I'm a huge tool for writing something like that on my med school secondary.

Should I perhaps put something more academically focused, aka maybe go to the library to catch up on some schoolwork with my 3 hours and my favorite place is my study nook in the library?

Lol. I personally wouldn't even think of putting the library down. Just be real. I did mention going to the gym, although not for the entire 3 hours, but I did talk about taking a multi and lifting heavy :thumbup::laugh:

I literally said just that. That I would go to the gym. I was sort of comical about it, but that's what I said. The thing about the USC secondary is that their questions are much more geared toward getting to know you as a dude/chick then they are about you as a pre-med machine. You know? I get the feeling that a lot of schools aim to have their secondaries provide information they need to choose future physicians, while Keck aims to provide information on the people they are considering. Just be honest, dude.

I wonder if they are sending out rejections on Wednesdays and II's on Friday's?

I wonder if they are sending out rejections on Wednesdays and II's on Friday's?

AHH Why did I have to read that D= Now I'm going to be compulsively checking my email Friday... even if it's just speculation.

Seriously.. :O

Maybe... maybe not... but the silence is killing me now that I'm pretty much done with secondaries ><

On another note.. did you guys all answer USC's questions in a sort of conversational/less formal/more casual tone? I did.. it felt like their questions were a lot more informal get-to-know-you stuff. I hope I didn't get dinged for that.

Mine were mostly conversational, at least compared to how I answered other schools' secondary prompts. I think that the intention of the questions was indeed to get to know you and to ensure that you had motivations and desires in your life that weren't strictly related to medicine.

Mine were mostly conversational, at least compared to how I answered other schools' secondary prompts. I think that the intention of the questions was indeed to get to know you and to ensure that you had motivations and desires in your life that weren't strictly related to medicine.

That's how I was told to answer them by someone on the faculty there. He said make it like a conversation in a professional setting.

On another note.. did you guys all answer USC's questions in a sort of conversational/less formal/more casual tone? I did.. it felt like their questions were a lot more informal get-to-know-you stuff. I hope I didn't get dinged for that.

I was the dude who posted earlier with the "low" stats. I am out-of state technically but spent most of my life in Cali and was born not too far from LA. So for my favorite place I chose a place near the campus. For the roommate question I just asked my brother for the first 3 words that came to mind. For the most fun I have had I talked about doing a marathon obstacle course. For prized possession talked about my dog. For the occupation I chose a health related occupation but not one that would make me be considered a "professional." For the application process I only talked about adding but not taking away from the process. For the essay I talked about the gym, Raiders, Lakers, and Dodgers. Hope this helps guys.

Anyone else interviewing 9/18? Session 2!

Last edited:
I was the dude who posted earlier with the "low" stats. I am out-of state technically but spent most of my life in Cali and was born not too far from LA. So for my favorite place I chose a place near the campus. For the roommate question I just asked my brother for the first 3 words that came to mind. For the most fun I have had I talked about doing a marathon obstacle course. For prized possession talked about my dog. For the occupation I chose a health related occupation but not one that would make me be considered a "professional." For the application process I only talked about adding but not taking away from the process. For the essay I talked about the gym, Raiders, Lakers, and Dodgers. Hope this helps guys.

Anyone else interviewing 9/18? Session 2!

Eww a Raiders fan.

All my responses were worded quite informally. I gave completely honest answers and for the 'if you couldn't be a doctor' question, the career I mentioned is wholly different than medicine though it is academic in nature.

oddly enough, I submitted it the day before. I still have one letter of rec that hasn't come in, not sure if that made a difference, still it was lighting fast decision.

Do you think they would frown upon sending an update letter before receiving an interview invitation?

Do you think they would frown upon sending an update letter before receiving an interview invitation?

I remember reading somewhere that updates aren't accepted prior to an interview invitation but I may be wrong

So were the guys who got the interview invite on 8/10 EDP applicants? Because so far as I can tell no one has gotten an invite since then.

Who actually used most of the 300 word limit for describing what you would do with 3 hours? It seems like so much to write!

So were the guys who got the interview invite on 8/10 EDP applicants? Because so far as I can tell no one has gotten an invite since then.

Will all EDP applicants get an interview scheduled and response (acceptance or rejection) before Aug 31st? Just wondering, I haven't heard anything since I submitted my II 3rd week of July :confused:

USNews says (for whatever year they're reporting now) just 497 interviews for 334 acceptances (~67% chance of acceptance following an interview). Can that be serious? It seems like too high a percentage. Does anyone have old numbers?

USNews says (for whatever year they're reporting now) just 497 interviews for 334 acceptances (~67% chance of acceptance following an interview). Can that be serious? It seems like too high a percentage. Does anyone have old numbers?

Does US News break down the acceptance rate for OOS and IS?

Man, I hate being technically out of state when I'm an LA native and just want to come back home! *pout*

Yep.

In state: 334 interviewed and 236 accepted

Out of state: 163 interviewed and 98 accepted.

Thanks for the info! Guess not that different acceptance rate btwn IS and OOS. The matriculation rate however, is quite different. And the percentages do seem a bit high but I'm guessing as a mid-tier school, a lot people who get into USC won't end up going.

Status
Not open for further replies.