2012-2013 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

11-12 Rejected no interview out of state

On the other hand, with almost the exact same OOS stats (32Q/3.8-3.9 cGPA & sGPA), I will be tentatively attending VCU this fall. It's a GREAT school. Downtown Richmond isn't the best location but it's decent and the program is quite solid. For anyone wondering about the curriculum, here is our schedule as M1s:

1. Foundations of Clinical Medicine August 13-May 17 (Wed & Thurs p.m.)
2. Medical Bioethics August 13-May 17 (six sessions)
.3. Population Medicine August 13-September 10.
4. Medical Biochemistry August 13-October 12
5. LINC Service Learning August 13-May 17 (Tuesdays)

.LABOR DAY HOLIDAY - September 3, 2012.

6. Human Genetics September 11-October 12
7. Gross & Developmental Anatomy October 15-January 17

.THANKSGIVING BREAK - November, 22-25, 2012.

WINTER BREAK - December 13, 2012 – January 1, 2013
8. Histology January 2-April 15
9. Physiology January 2-April 19

MARTIN LUTHER KING HOLIDAY - January 21, 2013
10. Behavioral Sciences January 22-February 8
ANNUAL GERIATRICS LECTURE – TBA (Attendance REQUIRED)

.SPRING BREAK - March 9-17, 2013.

11. Immunology March 6-April 19

12. Neurosciences April 22-May 17

.STUDENT HONORS DAY-Friday, May 3, 1-4 p.m. .

.Electives are scheduled tentatively for Tuesday afternoons, spring semester..​

Of course, your class schedule will be different because they are changing the curriculum with a start date of fall 2013 along with the finishing of the new SOM building! We'll get to join you in it for our M2 year as well....

Members don't see this ad :)
11-12 Rejected no interview out of state

By chance did you call admissions and ask why you were rejected? I was OOS rejected as well with a higher MCAT lower GPA, but have very strong ties to not only Virginia, but the Richmond area. Wondering if they have anything worthwhile to say or its just the same nonsense

Sorry I did not. OOS was really not feasible for me anyway. If I was to be self critical, I'd say it was because I did not have enough experience in the medical field.

I got into VCU for 2012 ( I wont be going there but feel free to ask any questions about the app/secondary/interview).

My dad went to med school here and loved it.

I will be applying here. Good luck everyone!

Will be applying here as well OOS! :)

Haha elam I think our school lists have a lot in common.

I am applying here OOS as well. I have heard that clincal experience plays a big role in selection at this school, so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

VCU is a great school. I interviewed in September of last year so I remember a lot about the interviewing process. I'm also currently attending Anatomy, Biochemistry and Population medicine classes in a "jump start program" right before official classes in August. The professors and classes in this program for the most part are the exact same as the regular first year. So if you have any questions about the process or classes feel free to ask me. VCU has a holistic approach when it comes to reviewing applicants so do your very best to appear balanced. They do appreciate diversity and OOS applicants. Also I must say that medical school classes are tough, way tougher than any class or MCAT section put together. I'm struggling with Anatomy right now due to the massive amount of material we cover daily. Medical school Biochemistry pretty much covers an entire years worth of undergraduate Biochemistry in almost 2-3 weeks. I'm getting my ass kicked but hopefully you will too some time next year. Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
VCU is a great school. I interviewed in September of last year so I remember a lot about the interviewing process. I'm also currently attending Anatomy, Biochemistry and Population medicine classes in a "jump start program" right before official classes in August. The professors and classes in this program for the most part are the exact same as the regular first year. So if you have any questions about the process or classes feel free to ask me. VCU has a holistic approach when it comes to reviewing applicants so do your very best to appear balanced. They do appreciate diversity and OOS applicants. Also I must say that medical school classes are tough, way tougher than any class or MCAT section put together. I'm struggling with Anatomy right now due to the massive amount of material we cover daily. Medical school Biochemistry pretty much covers an entire years worth of undergraduate Biochemistry in almost 2-3 weeks. I'm getting my ass kicked but hopefully you will too some time next year. Good luck to you all!

floodhi1, how are you liking the pre-matric program? I wasn't invited. (Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing? lol) Any thoughts on our incoming class? Everyone I've met/interacted with so far seems awesome. How about the faculty?

floodhi1, how are you liking the pre-matric program? I wasn't invited. (Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing? lol) Any thoughts on our incoming class? Everyone I've met/interacted with so far seems awesome. How about the faculty?

The pre-matriculation program is very beneficial. I guarantee you that most of our incoming class will feel traumatized the first couple weeks by the overwhelming material thrown at them. The pre-mat program well does that to you so you're used to the pressure during the regular year, you've taken quizzes and exams (know the format/structure). It also helped me with adjusting to the new environment including Richmond. The professors are very nice, you will meet Dr. Krieg soon who will be our Anatomy professor. He's very knowledgable and challenges the students by randomly asking them questions. Biochemistry professor is different from the regular year due to whatever reason. The pop med instructor is a pHD that I think will also be teaching during the regular year. Everyone is very supportive but you really need that in such a vigorous academic environment. Your best friends will be Mrs. Jackson and Dr. WHC, they will provide you with wonderful resources. The students are helpful, study together and no one is cut throat.

Not sure if I'm applying yet, primary is still incomplete for that very reason >_<

Does anybody know what's on the secondary? None of the VCU threads from previous years actually had anyone submit the prompts...

Not sure if I'm applying yet, primary is still incomplete for that very reason >_<

Does anybody know what's on the secondary? None of the VCU threads from previous years actually had anyone submit the prompts...

you should submit your primary NOW if it's ready. you can add schools later and it won't increase processing time. here are last years prompts (you need to scroll through last years thread a bit):

- Name of any relative who has received or will receive their M.D. from our school.
- Did you participate in a VCU sponsored enrichment program? (Project ACEe, VA Governor's School, HCOP)
- Have you previously applied to our School Of Medicine? If yes, what additional qualifications do you have? (Limit 150 characters.)
- Please select top three specialties that most interest you if you were to have to make a selection today.
- Supplemental Essay: The admissions committee requests that you write an essay that provides us with some insight into why you would like to join VCU School of Medicine. (Limit 8000 characters)
- Interested in Fairfax or MCV hospitals during 3rd or 4th year?
- Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education
- SAT or ACT score

Very good school, I ended up not going here, but I was accepted. Plus the 2013-2014 class will have a completely new medical education building. That must be fun and exciting.

This school has become my top choice. Any advice for those who received an acceptance in previous cycles? I'm instate!!

Also the MSAR says that the estimated class size will be 215. I read on VCU's medical school website that the new building will eventually allow for a capacity of 250 students. So my question is, does anyone know if 215 is the projected number for the 2013 class? Will it stay at 200 like the previous years? Or will they attempt to matriculate 250 students due to the new building?

I am applying here OOS as well. I have heard that clincal experience plays a big role in selection at this school, so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

where have you heard this from??

That's great, clinical experience is something I do possess. How much emphasis on research accomplishments does VCU give? Hope I get in here!!!

This school has become my top choice. Any advice for those who received an acceptance in previous cycles? I'm instate!!

Also the MSAR says that the estimated class size will be 215. I read on VCU's medical school website that the new building will eventually allow for a capacity of 250 students. So my question is, does anyone know if 215 is the projected number for the 2013 class? Will it stay at 200 like the previous years? Or will they attempt to matriculate 250 students due to the new building?

They seem to really like clinical experience. I've noticed it's quite common with my fellow incoming M1s. It seems like most have legit clinical experience (meaning having actually worked in the hospital/clinical setting, not just volunteered). Research may be less important there, but I recall it coming up and being important in my interview and most of my incoming classmates seem to have plenty of that. MCV is one of the most early clinical experience-oriented schools per the US News data.

That's great, clinical experience is something I do possess. How much emphasis on research accomplishments does VCU give? Hope I get in here!!!

I called one time and said something along the lines of "I think not having a publication is a big hole in my application." The dean of admissions then said that unless you're applying for MD/pHD, they don't give much weight to research or publications

just got verified by AMCAS!

re-taking my MCAT though. do you guys think VCU will hold off from a formal review until I get those back?

hoping for the best this cycle!! :)

just got verified by AMCAS!

re-taking my MCAT though. do you guys think VCU will hold off from a formal review until I get those back?

hoping for the best this cycle!! :)

Did you ask them too? Schools generally wait if you indicate you are retaking on your AMCAS app.

Did you ask them too? Schools generally wait if you indicate you are retaking on your AMCAS app.

I called them up and they said that it's possible that they will take a look at my application beforehand since I already have an MCAT score listed.

Question regarding the MCAT scores for MATRICULATED, not accepted students. The averages seem to be a 29 for VCU looking on their website in the past few years. For an instate student, are these numbers even slightly lower? With a 29 average, that must mean the 10th-90th percentile has to be like a 26-33 or something for matriculated students, or is this a poor assumption?

Question regarding the MCAT scores for MATRICULATED, not accepted students. The averages seem to be a 29 for VCU looking on their website in the past few years. For an instate student, are these numbers even slightly lower? With a 29 average, that must mean the 10th-90th percentile has to be like a 26-33 or something for matriculated students, or is this a poor assumption?

Who cares what the matriculated mcat scores are? Accepted is what matters. Accepted = what VCU wants. Matriculated = what VCU gets.

VCU is one of my top schools. Hope to meet you there next year!

VCU is big on clinical experience.

I hope you guys are right.

Who cares what the matriculated mcat scores are? Accepted is what matters. Accepted = what VCU wants. Matriculated = what VCU gets.
lol MedPR your bluntness on this site makes me laugh. much appreciated.

lol MedPR your bluntness on this site makes me laugh. much appreciated.

Can't be this blunt in real life, so I get it out of my system on the internet ;)

I partially agree with this, but I still think the matriculated score is what should be looked at. All matriculated students were obviously accepted students, so the matriculated scores are what VCU gets and knows they get year in and year out, so these are the students that they are looking for.

How much weight does VCU place on the verbal section of the MCAT? Does anyone know if they will overlook that section if my other sections are strong or if the rest of my application is strong?

I am a VA resident and I got a 32Q (PS:13, VR:8, BS:11). Also have a 3.99 and have volunteered at a free clinic as an EMT. I am concerned that they won't like the 8 in verbal.

Anyone have any idea?

How much weight does VCU place on the verbal section of the MCAT? Does anyone know if they will overlook that section if my other sections are strong or if the rest of my application is strong?

I am a VA resident and I got a 32Q (PS:13, VR:8, BS:11). Also have a 3.99 and have volunteered at a free clinic as an EMT. I am concerned that they won't like the 8 in verbal.

Anyone have any idea?

I don't think they'll care that much from what I hear, they seem to do the holistic thing very much, meaning, make sure you have a good interview--flodhi1, who got in this time around, had a 7 in VR (that's what I have too, so maybe i'm being optimistic.)

Last edited:
granted, I e-mailed MWC (on adcom) last year, who suggested I retake the mcat b/c of the 7 in VR...so....yeah

Anyone get the secondary?

Anyone have any idea?

VCU takes a holistic approach when reviewing it's applicants. I got in with a VR score in your range and much lower GPA so don't sweat it.

does anyone know when the new curriculum is going into effect? 2012-2013 or 2013-2014? If it's the latter, does anyone know if the 2011-2012 class would be integrated into the new curriculum for M2?

Last edited:
Secondaries sent yet?

Anyone have any idea?

I got an 8 in verbal and got into VCU this past year but will be headed to Gtown. I also got accepted to four other schools. Numbers aren't everything.

Hope that helps.

I got an 8 in verbal and got into VCU this past year but will be headed to Gtown. I also got accepted to four other schools. Numbers aren't everything.

Hope that helps.

Despite the 8 in verbal, did you break a 30? Also what was your GPA?

I broke a 30 but I was also a 3.8 from Georgetown undergrad so that probably made the difference.

Damn. After receiving the FURTHER status last year, I was rejected pre-secondary this year. Bummer. Good luck everyone.

Rejection email today :( Didn't make it through the pre-screen.

Edit: Now I'm back under review? No complaints here!

Last edited:

yeah me as well... I'm actually a little surprised since I'm a VA resident with stats above their average.

same...im assuming it's because i have no ties to virginia? at least i hope that's what it is...otherwise im going to start panicking about other schools

I applied last year- received further status. This year, when I first logged in, it said I was rejected pre-secondary. I logged in again, and it switched to this:

"The School of Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University on the Medical College of Virginia Campus has received your preliminary application from AMCAS. Your application will be reviewed. Decisions are made at that point as to which candidates will be granted supplemental application from us. It has always been our committee's policy to grant supplemental applications to those candidates who are deemed competitive within our applicant pool."

Anybody else have this happen?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.