2023-2024 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any current students on this thread? I have some questions regarding the school (such as the use of NBME vs in-house exams, mandatory lectures or lecture recordings, getting housing, etc). I am not really able to find this information anywhere online, but if someone is able to direct me to a resource, I will be eternally grateful!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any current students on this thread? I have some questions regarding the school (such as the use of NBME vs in-house exams, mandatory lectures or lecture recordings, getting housing, etc). I am not really able to find this information anywhere online, but if someone is able to direct me to a resource, I will be eternally grateful!
+1

Is the waitlist not showing up on CYMS for anyone else?
Yep, same here. Do we receive any other confirmation that we have confirmed our spot on the waitlist other than the waitlist form on the portal being closed/completed? Did anyone email admin to verify if their waitlist spot is confirmed?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So we all think the 75% acceptance from WL is inaccurate?

My feeling is that it’s closer to around 50%, perhaps a bit higher among OOS. So many of my OOS classmates are from WL, but I personally haven’t met anyone who got off WL as IS (n=1, so take that with a grain of salt). My advice is to sit tight, make sure you send your letters in as necessary, make it brief. WL movements can literally happen from now till end of July. I got off mid June as OOS. Don’t fret but also if you have no other As, start thinking about reapplying. Better to be prepared than to be caught off guard and scramble

Reactions: 1 user
We use in-house exams - hit or miss in emulating the boards but we also have a 95% pass rates on step 1; we get Uworld starting our M1 spring (you have 10 question quizzes every week but its graded based on completion). 2-3 days a week there are mandatory things - they never take more than an hour. Most lecture are recorded except for TBLs and other specific lecture but for those lectures, slides are always posted - lecture is always streamed in real time via zoom

lots of students live around campus in apartments like John Marshall, Edisons, American Heritage, 8th and Main, Residence at Richmond Trust, First National, students also live in more residential apartments in the Fan.

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew A earlier this week. Congrats to everyone who will matriculate and good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be too late to send in another LOR or update if you're waitlisted?
Honestly, yes. At this point they have probably finalized the order of the waitlist and the admin office has told some people they probably won't even look at them because they are too slammed with emails.

Can any current students comment on how much time they spend actually studying during the first two years and if they think they could restrict studying to 35-40 hours a week, including classes?

Withdrew my A - do we get deposits back after withdrawing?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received any information with regards to prematriculation, such as health clearance documentation, creating our school emails, aka things that we need prior to even being registered? I haven't received anything yet, and I dont want this to hold me back from enrolling...

Has anyone received any information with regards to prematriculation, such as health clearance documentation, creating our school emails, aka things that we need prior to even being registered? I haven't received anything yet, and I dont want this to hold me back from enrolling...
They let me know next week they will be sending us info regarding this.

Does anyone know what day the committee meets? Is it Monday

Does anyone know what day the committee meets? Is it Monday
I am not sure if there is still a committee that meets regularly after they finalize the waitlist, but for some reason waitlist acceptances were exclusively sent out on Tuesdays and Thursdays last year.

Can someone confirm I am doing this correctly? I currently hold two acceptances and am on the alternate list for VCU, my top choice. Because tomorrow is April 30, I now have to “Plan to Enroll” at one of my schools, withdraw from the other, but *can remain on the alternate list at VCU*. Correct? I hope the plan to enroll does not influence wait list movement.

I have read the policy 10 times but since it is so important would just love someone to confirm!

Can someone confirm I am doing this correctly? I currently hold two acceptances and am on the alternate list for VCU, my top choice. Because tomorrow is April 30, I now have to “Plan to Enroll” at one of my schools, withdraw from the other, but *can remain on the alternate list at VCU*. Correct? I hope the plan to enroll does not influence wait list movement.

I have read the policy 10 times but since it is so important would just love someone to confirm!
You understand it right

Withdrew IS A! I received a $25,000 per year merit scholarship here and hope it gets redistributed to one of you. ❤️

Also: I know there have been convos about WL movement not being as good is compared to oos. I have IS several friends who were accepted to uva and vcu and are planning to drop their VCU As by tomorrow. Hang in there friends and good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Withdrew IS A! I received a $25,000 per year merit scholarship here and hope it gets redistributed to one of you. ❤️

Also: I know there have been convos about WL movement not being as good is compared to oos. I have IS several friends who were accepted to uva and vcu and are planning to drop their VCU As by tomorrow. Hang in there friends and good luck everyone!
just curious, but it seems like most IS people that were accepted to both uva/vcu end up choosing uva, so why even hold on to both acceptances in the first place if you know where you want to end up? like what are ppl waiting for lol

Reactions: 3 users
just curious, but it seems like most IS people that were accepted to both uva/vcu end up choosing uva, so why even hold on to both acceptances in the first place if you know where you want to end up? like what are ppl waiting for lol
Apparently they were waiting to get financial aid info

I have multiple A’s (Not VCU), but I’ve been holding on until April 30th since FAFSA was delayed and schools havent sent out financial aid, scholarships, etc. even now, had one school that sent out first wave of scholarships today (didn’t get any unfortunately, so will drop that by tonight), but it certainly was much worse this year because the govt messed up FAFSA and didn’t send out to schools even three months into this year!

Absolutely, so I was waiting on financial aid and did not know where I wanted to end up without getting a clear picture of finances. Ofc this was screwed quite a bit by the major FAFSA delays. I’m a 0 EFCer and a first gen student, and I have significant ties to both institutions that go beyond any sort of ranking. Having just received a significant external scholarship last Friday and my FA letter last week, I’ve confidently made my decision today. That’s a pretty quick turnaround if you ask me lol. Best of luck to you 🫶🏽

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew IS A for UVA. Best of luck to my fellow in-staters on the waitlist!

Reactions: 4 users
Do you guys know if people who come off waitlists receive any scholarships? I know you have to decide almost instantly if you want this school or another if you come off the waitlist but I do not know how I will be able to make such a quick decision if I do not know how much aid I will receive.

it's too quiet....
way too quiet. in the past years' threads, waitlist movement started like mid-late April and we know they have had spots to fill over the past few weeks. I suspect there is some internal problem going on, maybe related to the FASFA delay.

way too quiet. in the past years' threads, waitlist movement started like mid-late April and we know they have had spots to fill over the past few weeks. I suspect there is some internal problem going on, maybe related to the FASFA delay.
The FASFA delays have royally screwed everything up. We will just have to wait a bit longer, as hard as that is.

Reactions: 1 users
I called today about something related to my financial aid and they said that the next scholarship committee meeting is this Friday and they send out emails to scholarship recipients immediately after.

does anyone know if the first wave will be today and then a few weeks till we hear again, or will emails continuously be coming till all spots are filled?

those who got accepted off the waitlist, did you send any letters of intent/interest?