2013-2014 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Just wondering.. Did you have to upload your photo to submit? Because the instructions state not to.. unless invited for an interview..

Thanks!

I had issues with this at first, but then went ahead and did it anyway - maybe it's a change in the application that wasn't reflected in its directions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How to deal with picture issue:

1) Submit blank Word document as a photo.

2) Submit application.

3) Delete Word document after submission.

OR submit a document with a picture of yourself and leave it.
Can you delete the word document after submission? I thought you couldn't make any changes post-submission..
 
I submitted the application with a photo. I really hope it won't be an issue. In any case I find it weird that we would be left with these contradictory instructions. Has anybody contacted the admissions office to clarify?
 
I submitted the application with a photo. I really hope it won't be an issue. In any case I find it weird that we would be left with these contradictory instructions. Has anybody contacted the admissions office to clarify?
I tried calling yesterday but no one picked up.. There's a phone number at the end of the email with the secondary invite..
 
Oh well... odds are not with me with regards to getting an interview anyway so at least I'll have something to blame it on 🙂 (my face)
 
Hey guys, haven't received the secondary but prewriting...can someone verify the maximum for each response..is it 1000 characters for the first one and the second one is 4000 characters?
 
How are people getting 5,000 characters to fit on one page. One page is only 3,500 characters for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
still having difficulties with uploading the pic...any suggestions? I have tried doing what GU states in the directions, but it does not work for me...
 
Where is everyone seeing a link to upload a picture? I can't seem to find it on my app...

If you look at the "Application Form" column on the left side of your screen when you first log in, the instructions for submitting a photo are in the "GU SoM Post-Submission Updates" section.

The only problem is that it clearly says "Interview" at the top of the screen, and in their application guide they even say we should not submit a photo unless invited for interview. But apparently we can't submit our secondary without a photo so...yeah..
 
If you look at the "Application Form" column on the left side of your screen when you first log in, the instructions for submitting a photo are in the "GU SoM Post-Submission Updates" section.

The only problem is that it clearly says "Interview" at the top of the screen, and in their application guide they even say we should not submit a photo unless invited for interview. But apparently we can't submit our secondary without a photo so...yeah..
Thanks for the recap I appreciate it. I take it people are adding a photo to allow them to submit the secondary?
 
I saved my image as a rtf, but the file is too big (2.2 MB). The max size is 600 kB...how can I make my file smaller?
 
just submitted; exactly 1000 and 3600 for essay 1 and 2 respectively. I uploaded a photo because I can't submit the secondary without uploading a photo (although they said don't upload a photo unless invited for interview.. wtf?!) I don't think it's that big of a deal honestly.
 
How much is the secondary? I can't access the website and idk if it's worth it to pre-write haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted!

Also, in case anyone is still wondering, when I logged in this morning, it was still telling me I needed to upload a photo before submitting. BUT, I decided to log out and come back later and it looks like the issue is fixed because I was able to submit without the photo now.
 
For the short answer question where the provide a text box for our response, did all of you guys have to manually type in your responses? Or is there a way to copy/paste?
 
I could copy/paste as long as it was below the character count (note: character count includes spaces). 1000 characters is REALLY short.

I thought it was just me! 1000 characters hardly gives you space to say much...guess they'd rather hear why they are so great and yadda yadda
 
Is the "other comments" section really meant for another 1000 character essay? There is no character count and the page for it doesnt expand. It seems like a place where you'd mention 1 sentence or something. Is everyone filling out a paragraph for that? If so, what are u writing?
 
Is the "other comments" section really meant for another 1000 character essay? There is no character count and the page for it doesnt expand. It seems like a place where you'd mention 1 sentence or something. Is everyone filling out a paragraph for that? If so, what are u writing?

I wrote about some grade fluctuation during undergrad and how I've rectified these academic weaknesses in graduate school.
 
Just got complete email. Seems like they review pretty quickly so hopefully I can hear back soon. :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To those who got the secondary - im guessing you were verified already? Submitted primary last week, transcript and letter already in, waiting to get verified (I guess in 2-3 weeks).
 
To those who got the secondary - im guessing you were verified already? Submitted primary last week, transcript and letter already in, waiting to get verified (I guess in 2-3 weeks).

I was verified back in June but the MSAR states that "all applicants" receive the secondary which leads me to believe that unverified persons should get the secondary also.