2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

So if we assigned our letters to Mayo before applications were sent out to schools will we get a LOR request? Did anyone who received one pre-assign?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an LOR request earlier today. I had already sent my letters to Mayo though, so I guess it's just a waiting game now. (Submitted my payment sometime on July 4th, just FYI)

Anyone know how many LOR requests they send out? I think I remember reading 800 earlier in this thread but I also read 1200 somewhere?
 
Got a letter request today!!!

AMCAS verified prior to transmission, received fee request 7/3, paid it 7/4, received LOR request today even though I already assigned my committee letter to mayo pre-amcas submission!!

MCAT: 36R
 
So if we assigned our letters to Mayo before applications were sent out to schools will we get a LOR request? Did anyone who received one pre-assign?

1. Only certain individuals get LOR requests and many do not - so not necessarily. I believe that a LOR request will be sent (regardless of whether or not you have pre-assigned them) in the event that MMS wishes to continue review of your file.

2. I believe quite a number of people got LOR requests that have pre-assigned the letters (myself included). Once you get the request and have pre-assigned them, no further action is required. If you have not yet assigned them - getting the LOR request would be the time to do so.
 
Got an LOR request earlier today. I had already sent my letters to Mayo though, so I guess it's just a waiting game now. (Submitted my payment sometime on July 4th, just FYI)

Anyone know how many LOR requests they send out? I think I remember reading 800 earlier in this thread but I also read 1200 somewhere?


Here's a quote from last year's thread:
The number I got from their admission's office (I had a tour there) was ~1700 LOR requests.

And some data from various sources:
4332/4081 verified applications (MSAR/USNWR)
~1700 LOR requests (SDN)
322/305 interviews (MSAR/USNWR)
85 accepted (USNWR)
50/42 enrolled (MSAR/USNWR)
 
Just to clarify the enrolled number: that's 42 MD students and a total incoming class of 50 including 6 MD/PhD students and 2 DDS students completing a combined MD/OMF residency program.
 
LOR Request yesterday too!

Assigned letters already a long time ago, but only assigned three (as required). But in the email, it says additional letters are welcome.

How many letters did most of you guys assign? I am thinking about assigning two more letters, to make it five. What do you guys think?
 
LOR Request yesterday too!

Assigned letters already a long time ago, but only assigned three (as required). But in the email, it says additional letters are welcome.

How many letters did most of you guys assign? I am thinking about assigning two more letters, to make it five. What do you guys think?

I'd do 5. I did 5 last year. Having more important people saying amazing things about you wont hurt you...
 
hey does mayo send LOR requests in batches? I submitted my payment on the first day and still have no response.
 
hey does mayo send LOR requests in batches? I submitted my payment on the first day and still have no response.

It seems like they do, but I wouldn't worry too much or
too much attention to it. I was a few weeks behind the group I was supposed to be in according to sdn in literally every stage of the process.
 
It seems like they do, but I wouldn't worry too much or
too much attention to it. I was a few weeks behind the group I was supposed to be in according to sdn in literally every stage of the process.

I know another applicant from last year shared their cycle on the first page of this thread, but would you mind sharing dates of when things were received/sent out/etc for you? Just curious about another perspective on how a cycle with mayo can go.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went through my email records just for you guys so here it is...

Applied first day whatever it was in early June

Fee request 7/2/12

Fee received 7/3/12

Request for letters of reference 7/6/12

Sent letters right away

Lors received 7/13/12

Invite for interview 8/2/12

Interviewed 10/1/12

Ranked 11/8/12

Placed on hold in early December. Not sure of the exact date because I deleted the email🙂

Accepted December 14!!!!! Almost exactly a week.after hold notification.

Hope that helps!
 
Last edited:
so I'm wondering exactly how important letters of recommendation actually are for Mayo. you'd think they'd be critical because of the lor request barrier, but could it also signify passing a screen, after which they'll look at both letters and the rest of the application? I'm thinking maybe, because there is no way they read through everyone's primary in that short a time.

what do you all think?
 
Fee request today!! Paid. I wonder if it will go through as $120 or $100? 😳

Edit: was charged $120 🙁
 
Last edited:
so I'm wondering exactly how important letters of recommendation actually are for Mayo. you'd think they'd be critical because of the lor request barrier, but could it also signify passing a screen, after which they'll look at both letters and the rest of the application? I'm thinking maybe, because there is no way they read through everyone's primary in that short a time.

what do you all think?

If you don't think they're looking at the primary first, what else are they looking at? Theres no secondary lol
 
I went through my email records just for you guys so here it is...

Applied first day whatever it was in early June

Fee request 7/2/12

Fee received 7/3/12

Request for letters of reference 7/6/12

Sent letters right away

Lors received 7/13/12

Invite for interview 8/2/12

Interviewed 10/1/12

Ranked 11/8/12

Placed on hold in early December. Not sure of the exact date because I deleted the email🙂

Accepted December 14!!!!! Almost exactly a week.after hold notification.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much! Seems like your LOR request came fairly quickly after you submitted the fee, though--guess if I haven't heard from them in a few weeks I'm probably out of luck.

Fascinating to see how long the process takes even if you apply early, though--that'll make me feel better when I'm waiting for decisions/ii's in the fall. 🙂
 
Thank you very much! Seems like your LOR request came fairly quickly after you submitted the fee, though--guess if I haven't heard from them in a few weeks I'm probably out of luck.

Fascinating to see how long the process takes even if you apply early, though--that'll make me feel better when I'm waiting for decisions/ii's in the fall. 🙂

The wait was hard at every stage in the game and I always remember giving up hope - shedding tears to screaming a few days later! I do remember knowing people that got LOR requests before me but I thought the same thing you did when I was typing it up.

Good luck and have fun with the process!
 
The wait was hard at every stage in the game and I always remember giving up hope - shedding tears to screaming a few days later! I do remember knowing people that got LOR requests before me but I thought the same thing you did when I was typing it up.

Good luck and have fun with the process!

Haha I'm sure my emotions will go thru the same roller-coaster; hopefully soon I'll have a steady job to keep me occupied while I wait.

That makes me feel a little better, though I know Mayo's probably a long shot for me regardless. Thanks for all the help & advice! 🙂
 
I know another applicant from last year shared their cycle on the first page of this thread, but would you mind sharing dates of when things were received/sent out/etc for you? Just curious about another perspective on how a cycle with mayo can go.

I also went through my emails to create this list, so I hope it helps! I was accepted off the waitlist at the end of May so it has been a pretty drawn out yearlong process for me, but it was totally worth it!

Applied 6/20 & Verified 7/18

Fee waiver - 7/18/12

Request for letters of reference - 7/25/12

Sent letters right away (5 of them)

LORs received - 8/1/12

Invite for interview - 8/25/12

Interviewed - 11/2/12

Ranked - 11/8/12

Hold status - 11/14/12

Alternate status - 2/8/13

Touch base email - 5/29/13

Letter of Intent - 5/30/13

Acceptance call - 5/31/13!!!!!!!

Hope that helps!
 
I also went through my emails to create this list, so I hope it helps! I was accepted off the waitlist at the end of May so it has been a pretty drawn out yearlong process for me, but it was totally worth it!

Applied 6/20 & Verified 7/18

Fee waiver - 7/18/12

Request for letters of reference - 7/25/12

Sent letters right away (5 of them)

LORs received - 8/1/12

Invite for interview - 8/25/12

Interviewed - 11/2/12

Ranked - 11/8/12

Hold status - 11/14/12

Alternate status - 2/8/13

Touch base email - 5/29/13

Letter of Intent - 5/30/13

Acceptance call - 5/31/13!!!!!!!

Hope that helps!

must have been one hell of a letter of intent! congrats 🙂
 
I also went through my emails to create this list, so I hope it helps! I was accepted off the waitlist at the end of May so it has been a pretty drawn out yearlong process for me, but it was totally worth it!

Applied 6/20 & Verified 7/18

Fee waiver - 7/18/12

Request for letters of reference - 7/25/12

Sent letters right away (5 of them)

LORs received - 8/1/12

Invite for interview - 8/25/12

Interviewed - 11/2/12

Ranked - 11/8/12

Hold status - 11/14/12

Alternate status - 2/8/13

Touch base email - 5/29/13

Letter of Intent - 5/30/13

Acceptance call - 5/31/13!!!!!!!

Hope that helps!

Thank you!! Very helpful; congrats to you! 🙂
 
Verified 7/9, already paid yesterday. Not sure there's a real significance to these things - I feel like it'll work out in good time
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
37/3.9 here. No LOR request. Probably should stop reading this forum and freaking out.

Haha that is probably for the best. I'm doing the same w/ the UCSF thread. My time away from SDN is so pleasant, yet I keep coming back 🙄

Edit: we have almost identical stats. I'm sure you're going to get in somewhere great 👍
 
I know no one can tell me for sure, but should I bother applying with a 3.65 cGPA/sGPA and a 37 MCAT? I know my MCAT score is suitable for Mayo, but I'm hesitant on the GPA. It's upward trending, last 4 semesters have been 3.7+, but it's definitely on the low end for most schools, nevertheless Mayo.
 
I know no one can tell me for sure, but should I bother applying with a 3.65 cGPA/sGPA and a 37 MCAT? I know my MCAT score is suitable for Mayo, but I'm hesitant on the GPA. It's upward trending, last 4 semesters have been 3.7+, but it's definitely on the low end for most schools, nevertheless Mayo.

I think it's worth trying. I mean really--no one can be a perfect applicant. We all have something we wished were better. With that MCAT you aren't a borderline applicant the way someone at 10th percentile in both would be.
 
Just got an LOR request!! Not great stats, 3.6c/3.5s 34, but good ECs. Either way, there's definitely hope for everyone out there!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOR request - 3.52 cGPA, 3.50 sGPA, 33Q MCAT (but it took a few tries to get there). Hoping they like my ECs and graduate school details.