2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've found it to be pretty comparable to my other schools. I was expecting it to blow everything else out of the water but I think the metric they use has given me the highest expected personal contribution from any private school so far. (An amount I could never in my wildest dreams actually contribute.) That said, I think their view of what I will need to live on is more realistic than some of the other schools, even if that looks like a bigger burden of debt.
 
Just got my financial aid offer. Honestly was a little disappointed, since Mayo has a reputation has giving half or full rides to "pretty much everyone." My grant award was substantially less than half the tuition price, and I'll have to take out GradPLUS loans if I want to go here. I was given better grants at schools that estimated a higher expected family contribution (EFC). Not saying I am not grateful for "free money" or the opportunity to attend Mayo, but I think future applicants should have a realistic picture of what financial aid looks like at Mayo before applying. I even ended up getting more aid at a traditional private med school that doesn't have the same reputation as Mayo for lavish financial aid. Even on interview day, the administration does admit--in passing--that there is less money floating around for aid.
 
Last edited:
Just got my financial aid offer. Honestly was a little disappointed, since Mayo has a reputation has giving half or full rides to "pretty much everyone." My grant award was substantially less than half the tuition price, and I'll have to take out GradPLUS loans if I want to go here. I was given better grants at schools that estimated a higher expected family contribution (EFC). Not saying I am not grateful for "free money" or the opportunity to attend Mayo, but I think future applicants should have a realistic picture of what financial aid looks like at Mayo before applying. I even ended up getting more aid at a traditional private med school that doesn't have the same reputation as Mayo for lavish financial aid. Even on interview day, the administration does admit--in passing--that there is less money floating around for aid.
I sort of saw this coming .. They seemed to mention it quite a few times that "things might look a bit different this year" and things along those lines. My host had a COA of ~25k or so, but I guess we won't see that this year (maybe for those with especially great need).

Maybe it'll make the waitlist move more? 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't get one. 🙁 Did you get one too, aspirantmed?

they probably messed up, it's just a generic email that says you're allowed to stay on the waitlist even after the may 15 deadline and that they'll make new appointments whenever seats open up. It also says they're still accepting application updates. Nothing too special though, nothing about what they think waitlist movement will be like or when they think new seats will become available.
 
they probably messed up, it's just a generic email that says you're allowed to stay on the waitlist even after the may 15 deadline and that they'll make new appointments whenever seats open up. It also says they're still accepting application updates. Nothing too special though, nothing about what they think waitlist movement will be like or when they think new seats will become available.

But but they personalized it! It has my name!
 
Judging from last year's thread, it looks like the touch-base emails went out in small batches. This year it seems like a lot of people got them right away- are there some people who did not get the email? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, extra info, I got the email asking for an update letter. I was in the middle of writing the letter (hadn't submitted it) when I got the call. Good luck to everyone!
 
Sent letter of intent early and a few times because I knew I wanted to go to Mayo...also received the update letter email and responded to that.
 
I have no idea how or why this happened, but I got the call from Dr. Romanski today! Humbled, honored, and excited!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you send a letter of intent/interest also? Congrats to you too!
Thanks! I did send a LOI in back in January, 1 in May, a few tiny updates between those dates. However, I never got one of those "still interested" emails.
 
Was offered an appointment May 22nd, and today decided that I could not take it (will be at Wayne State). Sent in an early LOI, but nothing in the past few months. I'm a non-trad (lawyer), cGPA: 3.80, sGPA:3.87, MCAT 34. Mayo really is an awesome place. I hope one of you gets my spot. Best of luck!
 
Just got off the alternate list! A week is not a long time to make such a huge decision haha

Can anybody comment on the financial aid packages they've received?
 
I remember hearing at my interview day that at Mayo Medical School, every student receives a scholarship of some amount each year. I believe my host, an MS-1, said that theirs had been about $15-20,000 off the COA for each student. What's the projected value for this upcoming year; can anyone weigh in here?
 
I remember hearing at my interview day that at Mayo Medical School, every student receives a scholarship of some amount each year. I believe my host, an MS-1, said that theirs had been about $15-20,000 off the COA for each student. What's the projected value for this upcoming year; can anyone weigh in here?

I got around $15000 in grants for the first year. No scholarship. I recall that they consider your need now. Before, they have everyone free money. I got better need aid at other private schools (20 to 25k).
 
Last edited:
Whoa .. well, that's a bit of a downer. Guess the finances at the Mayo Clinic aren't looking as bright this year as in years past .. 🙁
 
Got off alternate list as well today. Anyone know how fast we can get financial aid information? They told me some preliminary aid numbers on the phone, but those weren't sent in an email.
Just got off the alternate list! A week is not a long time to make such a huge decision haha

Can anybody comment on the financial aid packages they've received?

Congrats, you two! Did you send letters of intent?
 
Whoa .. well, that's a bit of a downer. Guess the finances at the Mayo Clinic aren't looking as bright this year as in years past .. 🙁

Those preliminary numbers were probably accurate, at least mine were. Dave knows what's he's doing.
 
Those preliminary numbers were probably accurate, at least mine were. Dave knows what's he's doing.
I'm not questioning accuracy; I'm just a bit disappointed since on interview day my hosts said they've traditionally given large scholarships to each incoming student based on merit (and then additional by need) but it seems this isn't happening this year.

It's understandable, but not really any less disappointing for it.
 
For those of you who got an appt and plan on attending, would you mind sharing your reason for why you chose Mayo?

On the other hand, for those of you who chose to go elsewhere, what were your reasons for not choosing Mayo?
 
I'm not questioning accuracy; I'm just a bit disappointed since on interview day my hosts said they've traditionally given large scholarships to each incoming student based on merit (and then additional by need) but it seems this isn't happening this year.

It's understandable, but not really any less disappointing for it.

I apologize, my reply was not intended for your post. It was for this one:

Got off alternate list as well today. Anyone know how fast we can get financial aid information? They told me some preliminary aid numbers on the phone, but those weren't sent in an email.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Recently withdrew an appointment offer here. Mayo Medical School is fantastic, but for me it came down to location, cost, class size, and curriculum, all of which tipped in another school's favor. Good luck to the rest of you.