You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
first rejection over here. 3.93 GPA, 36 MCAT
Holy-! 😱
Now I'm nervous...I put my letters to them on AMCAS, so I'm not expecting anything from them...but wow, you're making the 3.83/42 guy here really nervous.
Holy-! 😱
Now I'm nervous...I put my letters to them on AMCAS, so I'm not expecting anything from them...but wow, you're making the 3.83/42 guy here really nervous.
They'll email you with a LOR request even if you've already designated letters. 👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Holy-! 😱
Now I'm nervous...I put my letters to them on AMCAS, so I'm not expecting anything from them...but wow, you're making the 3.83/42 guy here really nervous.
4.0/38 here and I now can't believe I got an LoR request in the first round considering I didn't think my ECs were that hot. For curiosity's sake, I'd love to know how Mayo selects them.
They'll email you with a LOR request even if you've already designated letters. 👍
When should I expect that? Unless, of course, I've already been rejected 😳
EDIT: to clarify, this is what I got after paying, three days ago...
Greetings from Mayo Medical School!
Thank you for your application fee payment. Please note that Mayo Medical School does not have a secondary application. We do not request letters of recommendation from all applicants. When letters of recommendation are needed for your file, you will be notified via email.
If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part. If we wish to access the letters, we will retrieve them directly from AMCAS.
We appreciate your interest in Mayo Medical School. For current information about the school, please visit the website at www.mayo.edu/mms. If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].
Sincerely,
Gina M. Vitali-Räsänen
Admissions Coordinator
When should I expect that? Unless, of course, I've already been rejected 😳
EDIT: to clarify, this is what I got after paying, three days ago...
My "greetings" email and LOR request email were 11 days apart, but they send them out in batches. It just depends when they decide to send out the next round!
My "greetings" email and LOR request email were 11 days apart, but they send them out in batches. It just depends when they decide to send out the next round!
Mayo sends the LOR requests in batches. My fee request and LOR request emails were 5 days apart, so the next one might be coming up soon! Maybe next Monday? 👍
Fingers crossed...T__T
Flat out rejection. 4.0 GPA/ 37 MCAT..... just wow, thanks Mayo. 👎
Flat out rejection. 4.0 GPA/ 37 MCAT..... just wow, thanks Mayo. 👎
Probably because you're international. Good luck
When should I expect that? Unless, of course, I've already been rejected 😳
EDIT: to clarify, this is what I got after paying, three days ago...
Yep that's the standard letter we all get after submitting the payment. The LOR request is separate and not everyone gets one....they send rejections as well. Still waiting.....fingers crossed for the next batch 🙂
For those of you who got LOR requests, congratulations! If your entire application looks like it might be a good fit for the mayo philosophy, interview invitations should be extended to you within the next week or two.
For those of you who got rejected, keep your head up! Mayo selects for more than just stats and looks for a right fit for their school (first through how you portray yourself in your PS and ECs and then how others portray you through LOR). Since this wasn't the case for you, then mayo probably isn't the right place for you and vice versa.
Good luck to everyone! There are a few people from our class and a few from the other classes following this thread so feel free to ask any questions or send me a PM.
For those of you who got rejected, keep your head up! Mayo selects for more than just stats and looks for a right fit for their school (first through how you portray yourself in your PS and ECs and then how others portray you through LOR). Since this wasn't the case for you, then mayo probably isn't the right place for you and vice versa.
Good luck to everyone! There are a few people from our class and a few from the other classes following this thread so feel free to ask any questions or send me a PM.
For those of you who got LOR requests, congratulations! If your entire application looks like it might be a good fit for the mayo philosophy, interview invitations should be extended to you within the next week or two.
For those of you who got rejected, keep your head up! Mayo selects for more than just stats and looks for a right fit for their school (first through how you portray yourself in your PS and ECs and then how others portray you through LOR). Since this wasn't the case for you, then mayo probably isn't the right place for you and vice versa.
Good luck to everyone! There are a few people from our class and a few from the other classes following this thread so feel free to ask any questions or send me a PM.
Thanks for the detailed response!
Would you mind perhaps sharing how exactly Mayo evaluates MCAT scores and GPAs? I understand it is generally a pretty standard process, but I was wondering if you would perhaps talk about how Mayo evaluates one's numbers in light of their experiences and "fit" for the school? Are they more numerically driven or fit driven, etc.?
Thanks!
For those of you who got rejected, keep your head up! Mayo selects for more than just stats and looks for a right fit for their school (first through how you portray yourself in your PS and ECs and then how others portray you through LOR). Since this wasn't the case for you, then mayo probably isn't the right place for you and vice versa.
I thought I remember reading somewhere that they don't read your PS until AFTER they request your LOR.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the detailed response!
Would you mind perhaps sharing how exactly Mayo evaluates MCAT scores and GPAs? I understand it is generally a pretty standard process, but I was wondering if you would perhaps talk about how Mayo evaluates one's numbers in light of their experiences and "fit" for the school? Are they more numerically driven or fit driven, etc.?
Thanks!
Earf, could you also please elaborate on the Mayo 'fit' a bit more, and maybe describe a typical Mayo student (if possible)? Thank you!
Mayo places alot of emphasis on the activities list, and I mean, alot. A successful Mayo applicant, in general, has endeavors in service and research beyond cookie-cutter activities. The admissions committee is looking for a theme in your application and a long-term dedication/passion for activities that you were involved in.
Thanks for the detailed response!
Would you mind perhaps sharing how exactly Mayo evaluates MCAT scores and GPAs? I understand it is generally a pretty standard process, but I was wondering if you would perhaps talk about how Mayo evaluates one's numbers in light of their experiences and "fit" for the school? Are they more numerically driven or fit driven, etc.?
Thanks!
Earf, could you also please elaborate on the Mayo 'fit' a bit more, and maybe describe a typical Mayo student (if possible)? Thank you!
I know it doesn't address the question of "fit" directly, but Earf has already put up a FANTASTIC composite post on this thread that gives you a great idea of what Mayo is all about the first page (Post #9). 👍
I know it doesn't address the question of "fit" directly, but Earf has already put up a FANTASTIC composite post on this thread that gives you a great idea of what Mayo is all about the first page (Post #9). 👍
Ah yes, thank you for reminding us! An informative post indeed.
Mayo places alot of emphasis on the activities list, and I mean, alot. A successful Mayo applicant, in general, has endeavors in service and research beyond cookie-cutter activities. The admissions committee is looking for a theme in your application and a long-term dedication/passion for activities that you were involved in.
So, how about long term dedication/passion for cardiovascular health and disease? O🙂
"LOR Received" email just now! Props to Mayo for working on a Sunday!
+1 Has anyone received this notice earlier? Mayo started sending out IIs on the 22nd of July last year :/"LOR Received" email just now! Props to Mayo for working on a Sunday!
I just got the "LOR received" email too! Hopefully we will start hearing back about interviews soon.
Hmmm, I got the LOR request with you guys on 7/16.... but no "LOR received" email yet.... Weird 😕
I haven't received it yet either. No use in worrying, hopefully we'll receive it sometime today or tomorrow.
Just got the lor received email as well
Has anyone in the first batch of LOR requests been emailed a "complete" yet?
Has anyone in the first batch of LOR requests been emailed a "complete" yet?
Nope, nothing here. Assigned mine right after getting the LOR request the first day. I'm sure it'll come in the next couple days.
Nope, nothing here. Assigned mine right after getting the LOR request the first day. I'm sure it'll come in the next couple days.
Mine were already assigned; I wonder if that slows anything down at all. Love technology.
I got the LOR received e-mail today as well, and was in the first batch. Good luck everyone! Hope we hear some good news soon!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the file complete email!
Just got the file complete email!
first or second batch?
Mine were already assigned; I wonder if that slows anything down at all. Love technology.
I pre-assigned and got a request in the first batch and just got the confirmation, but if there's anything this process seems to teach is that there's really no rhyme or rhythm with these things, lol.
Mine were already assigned; I wonder if that slows anything down at all. Love technology.
Yes perhaps. I was in the first batch of LOR requests, my letters were already assigned to Mayo.. But no letters received email yet. Will be on the lookout .
first or second batch?
I'm not sure. I was sent the LOR request email on 7/16 if that helps.
I'm not sure. I was sent the LOR request email on 7/16 if that helps.
that was the second batch.
Was in the first batch to get LOR request on 7/8. No complete/LOR received email here either.. Pre-assigned three letters before the "LOR request", and subsequently added two more letters within a day of receiving the "LOR request"
that was the second batch.
Dude chill. You'll get an email. There's nothing you can do to speed up the process. Just calm down
Dude chill. You'll get an email. There's nothing you can do to speed up the process. Just calm down
Dude, I'm not un-calm. Just wrapping my mind around the process. Dude, thanks for your concern.
Dude, I'm not un-calm. Just wrapping my mind around the process. Dude, thanks for your concern.
I got a LORs received/app complete email this morning. I am 2nd batch. The email basically says, "We got your LORs. We are now making a final decision on whether to invite you or not. Stay tuned." Good luck to everyone. I hope this helps, Mr. Draper.
I got a LORs received/app complete email this morning. I am 2nd batch. The email basically says, "We got your LORs. We are now making a final decision on whether to invite you or not. Stay tuned." Good luck to everyone. I hope this helps, Mr. Draper.
Same, got this earlier. 2nd batch. No word on whether it means anything more than what it says, so I'd take it as just that.
I got a LORs received/app complete email this morning. I am 2nd batch. The email basically says, "We got your LORs. We are now making a final decision on whether to invite you or not. Stay tuned." Good luck to everyone. I hope this helps, Mr. Draper.
Props for recognizing the avatar! Who is your avatar, btw?
Earf, could you also please elaborate on the Mayo 'fit' a bit more, and maybe describe a typical Mayo student (if possible)? Thank you!
This is a very tough question since mayo evaluates each person for who they are, and they are not looking for a checklist of life experiences that are specifically defined. Mayo does place a lot of emphasis on your activities however - that is: why are you interested in going into medicine? If the answer to that question fits into the mayo philosophy of the needs of the patient come first, then you will likely be a good fit. This can be evidenced in many ways in your application.
I feel like all of my classmates are amazing people. There isn't really a mayo stereotype per say, but each one of us definitely have compassion, value acceptance, are very mature/professional, and will place the needs of our patients first as shown through our application and activities.
I've compiled a post in the first page of this thread if you'd like to read a more elaborate version of what i just said.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible for Mayo to request LORs if your MCAT scores are not in yet, or is that part of the screening process?
Awesome username. #mydas
Awesome username. #mydas
Haha thanks. I'm glad someone noticed it 🙂
Haha thanks. I'm glad someone noticed it 🙂
I did some work with hatchlings in Costa Rica. There wasn't any room for it on my AMCAS app though. Woulda been a nice "set me apart" thing. Alas.
Yea I went to CR too! I only went to Tortuguero to see the turtles for a weekend, but it was really awesome. I mentioned going abroad on my application since I got credit for it at school.
YEAH! I was in tortuguero too!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K