2013-2014 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine (2000 characters).

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:

Private Practice

Health Policy

Academic Medicine

Public Health

Health Care Administration

Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 characters)

How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? (1000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Friendly bump. Pretty sure this thread will be populated very soon. :laugh:

Applying here for the sake of "Why not? I can always dream!"

Members don't see this ad :)
GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!! :mad:

Give me your school list so I can cross-reference which schools not to apply to. :laugh:

Let's just interview at Stanford the same day and we'll get drinks? Alright, it's a plan. And with some detective work, you could find my WAMC thread and full school list ;)

Let's just interview at Stanford the same day and we'll get drinks? Alright, it's a plan. And with some detective work, you could find my WAMC thread and full school list ;)

Agreed! :laugh:

We have a lot of similar schools. We're bound to see each other once ... right? :p

Applying here for the sake of "Why not? I can always dream!"

Another school we're both applying to :oops: :p

Yay Class of 2018 threaders -- I'll be rooting for all of us! :p I've spent time in both the Midwest and East Coast so I'd love to cross CA off my list as well :thumbup: Oh, and Stanford is pretty cool too, I guess :D

I'll be applying here. am rooting for all of us :)

Anyone know how friendly stanford is towards re-applicants?

Would LOVE to go here, and am excited to apply though I am nervous! Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if stanford screens?

just got a secondary, but this is my FAR REACH school.

This year's prompts (same as last year):

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career? Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:

Private Practice
Health Policy
Academic Medicine
Public Health

Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals?

Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

Not sure if this is new, but there's a likert scale based "Health Belief and Attitude Survey." Kind of a cool thing to include, I think.

Does anyone else have incomplete status by LORs even though Stanford shows they have received them?

Where would hospitalist fall in the future practice scenario question? Private practice?

This year's prompts (same as last year):

Not sure if this is new, but there's a likert scale based "Health Belief and Attitude Survey." Kind of a cool thing to include, I think.

This survey was on last year's secondary as well.

I will be matriculating here in a month, so I'm happy to answer anyone's questions. Just note, I can't answer questions about the MMI since they had us sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Can you repeat those words so that I could potentially save myself money and time?
He's being sarcastic. They want everyone to apply. How else are they going to get a 2.9% acceptance rate?

This survey was on last year's secondary as well.

I will be matriculating here in a month, so I'm happy to answer anyone's questions. Just note, I can't answer questions about the MMI since they had us sign a non-disclosure agreement.

How many and what kind of questions are posed on the Likert survey? There are obviously right and wrong answers to this thing....?

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career? Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:
Private Practice
Health Policy
Academic Medicine
Public Health
Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

What's the character limit on this one?
And which practice includes a hospital surgeon? (Sorry if that's obvious to others.)

Also for me, might just take some time to updatE? Shows they got them from amcas, but haven't updated my file as complete yet.

I had this same thing earlier today and yesterday, but I was just now marked complete.

How many and what kind of questions are posed on the Likert survey? There are obviously right and wrong answers to this thing....?

I don't remember too well how many questions were on the Likert survey from last year. Maybe someone with this year's secondary can answer this?

From what I remember from last year, that survey is not reviewed by the Admissions Committee. At least last year, it was just something for their own research purposes. Don't worry about it. Just answer it truthfully.

what do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career? Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:
Private practice
health policy
academic medicine
public health
health care administration
why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

And which practice includes a hospital surgeon? (sorry if that's obvious to others.)

Is anyone's application complete yet? For some weird reason, they haven't received my earlier letters (one of my writers just sent it yesterday and they received it, while the other letters which were sent in June are still incomplete)

Is anyone's application complete yet? For some weird reason, they haven't received my earlier letters (one of my writers just sent it yesterday and they received it, while the other letters which were sent in June are still incomplete)
yeah mine's complete. they sent me an email a day or two after i submitted.

im incomplete because of those damn letters too.. I wonder what the hold up is

im incomplete because of those damn letters too.. I wonder what the hold up is

I suppose just give it some time. I was incomplete for a few days, and was complete when I checked today.

Did anyone not receive the secondary email? I was verified on June 10 but still haven't received any email....

For the publication section, it says to only include pubs that have been published or accepted for publication. I am a co-author on a paper that was submitted, but not yet accepted, for publication - I am assuming I shouldn't include that? I am also the first author on a paper that has not yet been submitted, so I obviously can't include that.

I wouldn't worry about it, many schools send stuff in batches. You can email them if you want, but dont think you got screened out, because they dont screen.

and always check your spam folder

For the publication section, it says to only include pubs that have been published or accepted for publication. I am a co-author on a paper that was submitted, but not yet accepted, for publication - I am assuming I shouldn't include that? I am also the first author on a paper that has not yet been submitted, so I obviously can't include that.
I was talking about this ^^ haha sorry

I was talking about this ^^ haha sorry

Oh woops I read the wrong post, my bad! The question asks for papers that are published or accepted for publishing. If they are not published, dont include it. If they are not accepted for publishing, dont include it. Hopefully you mentioned it in your AMCAS but I wouldn't put something that clearly does not answer the question correctly.

If anything it gives you a good reason for an update letter if the paper does get accepted for publishing

How did you guys "complete" your secondary? Stanford confirmed that they received my letters of rec, and I submitted by secondary+fee several weeks ago. However, my file still isn't complete :/

EDIT: NVM I scrolled up and read similar comments.

Private Practice - Family doctor, dermatologist, anything with opening up a clinic
Health Policy - Hospital executive/management
Academic Medicine- Research, clinician scientist
Public Health- Surgeon, working in a hospital setting
Health Care Administrationhealth leadership, similar to health policy but with less health law involved

And which practice includes a hospital surgeon? (Sorry if that's obvious to others.)

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user