2013-2014 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted. This is kind of a bummer, but at least it makes my future decision a bit easier :p

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted. This is kind of a bummer, but at least it makes my future decision a bit easier :p
I gotten some of those too but like your positive attitude!
Mind sharing when you interviewed and your stats? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, so i am waitlisted here too. i know the list is unranked and Brian said they choose someone who is of similar profile to the person who dropped. do you guys know how much the letter of intent and updates that we send in May matter then?

hey guys, so i am waitlisted here too. i know the list is unranked and Brian said they choose someone who is of similar profile to the person who dropped. do you guys know how much the letter of intent and updates that we send in May matter then?
if two people fit a profile similar to the one theyre looking to fill, it will probably go to the one who has shown more interest or has closer ties to the area.

Reactions: 1 user
if two people fit a profile similar to the one theyre looking to fill, it will probably go to the one who has shown more interest or has closer ties to the area.

^^^ This

I'd imagine that if someone with a 34 MCAT and 3.7 GPA interested in primary care drops, there will be at least a dozen WLed applicants with 33-35 MCAT and 3.6-3.8 GPA who are also interested in primary care. If I were an adcom member, I'd probably choose the one who has shown a lot of interest. Because of this, I would imagine that not sending an update letter or LOI after being contacted in May would be pretty detrimental to your chances.

I thought the interview season is already over....still no news after being placed on "hold" pre-interview back in Nov. What's going on?! Is there even still the slightest hope here?

Did you interview in late Feb and already heard back with the WL status?

Anyone from 2/25 or 2/27 interviews heard back? They said decisions would be sent out today morning.

Also, is the decision updated on the status page right away or few days after they send the decision email? On Pins and Needles right now.

Anyone from 2/25 or 2/27 interviews heard back? They said decisions would be sent out today morning.

Also, is the decision updated on the status page right away or few days after they send the decision email? On Pins and Needles right now.

Not yet. Brian said mid-morning but at the latest end of the day. :-(

Not yet. Brian said mid-morning but at the latest end of the day. :-(
Thanks! Hopefully folks will share any updates here and they update the status page at the same time as well. Best of luck to all waiting!

I got the email like 20 min ago! hopefully you did too!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection email around noon today. Post-interview rejections rolled in from Harvard and Yale today as well. I hope the rest of you are having a better day :)

Sorry, man. Three in one day.

Did anyone else receive an email to RSVP to an info session regarding the Master's in Clinical Research on March 25th? I'm not sure how to RSVP because it seems to require a UCSD login (which I don't think I have at this point). Anyone else have the same problem?

Has anyone heard back about the MD/Masters in Clinical Research yet?

I received an email said that they have started reviews for consideration for the MAS program.
Btw, does anyone have any idea when financial aid packages will be released?

I received an email said that they have started reviews for consideration for the MAS program.
Btw, does anyone have any idea when financial aid packages will be released?

If you want an estimate you have to email Carol Hartupee and ask. Otherwise you don't get one. I already got my estimate (100% loans, 0% grants :dead:)

If you want an estimate you have to email Carol Hartupee and ask. Otherwise you don't get one. I already got my estimate (100% loans, 0% grants :dead:)

Yeah I got one from her a while back, was just waiting for the actual numbers! I guess you won't be attending then?

Hey guys! I was wondering, for those who are choosing UCSD or want to go to UCSD, why you do?
From my interview day, I wasn't really impressed. They didn't seem to put in a lot of effort to show off the school. Also, the students seemed kind of stressed there.

It is higher ranked than my other schools. How much does that matter?

Hey guys! I was wondering, for those who are choosing UCSD or want to go to UCSD, why you do?
From my interview day, I wasn't really impressed. They didn't seem to put in a lot of effort to show off the school. Also, the students seemed kind of stressed there.

It is higher ranked than my other schools. How much does that matter?
Location location location ;)

Does UCSD accept letter of interest/update and if they do when is the right time to send one? I dont remember any specific guidelines from the interview day. Thanks!

Does UCSD accept letter of interest/update and if they do when is the right time to send one? I dont remember any specific guidelines from the interview day. Thanks!
They don't accept anything until May. They will send everyone on the WL an email at that time asking if you still want to be considered for admission.

Edit - From Admissions: "We receive many questions from waitlisted applicants regarding “updates” or “letters of intent” – please do not send any additional materials at this time. By the end of the first week of May, my office will contact you and all waitlisted applicants via e-mail to ask about your continued interest in UCSD. At that time, it would be appropriate to send updates for inclusion in your file."

They don't accept anything until May. They will send everyone on the WL an email at that time asking if you still want to be considered for admission.

Edit - From Admissions: "We receive many questions from waitlisted applicants regarding “updates” or “letters of intent” – please do not send any additional materials at this time. By the end of the first week of May, my office will contact you and all waitlisted applicants via e-mail to ask about your continued interest in UCSD. At that time, it would be appropriate to send updates for inclusion in your file."
Thanks for a complete reply.

anyone been updated with anything after being wait listed?

anyone been updated with anything after being wait listed?
I emailed them about sending an update. they said not to send anything "unless" an update is requested?
I remember being told that they'd ask everyone on the waitlist if they still want to go in May...does anyone else remember being told that also?

I emailed them about sending an update. they said not to send anything "unless" an update is requested?
I remember being told that they'd ask everyone on the waitlist if they still want to go in May...does anyone else remember being told that also?
See post #932 lol

Last year people who were on the waitlist got rejected before they had the chance to send in updates. I'm guessing that's what they meant by the "unless." Unfortunately, I expect rejections to come in this Friday with the e-mail asking if you want to remain on the waitlist next Monday.

Last year people who were on the waitlist got rejected before they had the chance to send in updates. I'm guessing that's what they meant by the "unless." Unfortunately, I expect rejections to come in this Friday with the e-mail asking if you want to remain on the waitlist next Monday.

That's scary. Good luck everyone!

I guess that's a good thing that UCSD rejects waitlistees... I think that means they are at the bottom of the waitlist so instead of dragging them unnecessarily along for the ride and eliciting false hope, UCSD just lets them know. I guess I would rather be rejected and not send in an update than to not be notified and keep hoping when they know I have no chance. -.-

Yeah, I'd rather be rejected if there's basically no chance I'd get in anyway. Their waitlist must be >300 people given the number of people interviewed. They've only taken about 20 off the waitlist for the past couple of years, so 300 is a bit overkill. Hopefully I survive the cut!

Yeah.. I'm curious as to how these decisions will be made considering how the waitlist is unranked.... @.@

Brian said by diversifying the class so long as they have the numbers to still maintain their high ranks

Brian said by diversifying the class so long as they have the numbers to still maintain their high ranks
Wonder if he meant "Diversifying the class with those who also have strong numbers" vs. "Diversifying the class, even considering those with average numbers, so long as the overall class average is still high"

Wonder if he meant "Diversifying the class with those who also have strong numbers" vs. "Diversifying the class, even considering those with average numbers, so long as the overall class average is still high"

From what I gathered at the interview, they will look at their class makeup post May 15 to see the average GPA, MCAT, % instate, etc. and determine if they need to increase any of those numbers. If so, then they will look mostly at students that help them meet that goal. If they are satisfied by the class stats, they will work mostly on diversifying the class.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I gathered at the interview, they will look at their class makeup post May 15 to see the average GPA, MCAT, % instate, etc. and determine of they need to increase any of those numbers. If so, then they will look mostly at students that help them meet that goal. If they are satisfied by the class stats, they will work mostly on diversifying the class.
Oo that makes sense.

I just got the "are you still interested?" email. How about everyone else?

Reactions: 2 users
yea. I like how he basically says update letters are useless but they'll humor us if we want to send them anyway

Yeah. I had one I had been working on, but I didn't even send it when I responded. The message was pretty clear from the email that they don't really want them...

Yeah. I had one I had been working on, but I didn't even send it when I responded. The message was pretty clear from the email that they don't really want them...
same. I wonder though, if an applicant holds an acceptance at a "more prestigious" or cheaper school, do they take intent letters seriously or ignore them just the same

Quick question:

Is it preferable to send in updates in the form of a PDF attachment or in the body of the e-mail?

Thanks!

-Bill

same. I wonder though, if an applicant holds an acceptance at a "more prestigious" or cheaper school, do they take intent letters seriously or ignore them just the same

I don't know. It seems that, regardless of the situation, they don't really consider any update letters or letters of intent. I'll probably call them sometime next week, since my situation is kind of unique, and ask if it would help at all to send anything.