2013-2014 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Imo wouldn't matter because letter of intent = I will come to your school = replying yes to staying on waitlist

That's true. By this point in the game, everyone basically knows where they are and are not accepted, so saying you want to remain on the waitlist basically signifies that you would at least consider UCSD over all your other acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

That's true. By this point in the game, everyone basically knows where they are and are not accepted, so saying you want to remain on the waitlist basically signifies that you would at least consider UCSD over all your other acceptances.
good points!

Quick question:

Is it preferable to send in updates in the form of a PDF attachment or in the body of the e-mail?

Thanks!

-Bill
since they dont care for them, i dont think it matters, but i always used pdfs for others. Leaves the email uncluttered and lets them read or ignore at their discretion

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think sending an update letter or letter of intent with your reply can hurt you in anyway. Might as well send it.

I interviewed back in October and was waitlisted...I didn't receive an email today asking if I was still interested...does that mean something.....any other waitlisted not get that email?

I interviewed back in October and was waitlisted...I didn't receive an email today asking if I was still interested...does that mean something.....any other waitlisted not get that email?

i didn't get an email.
but i did send an update about a month ago.. and got no response.

I couldn't find this information from precious posts so I figured I'd ask...does anyone know how many applicants were waitlisted? My neuroticism is getting the best of me.

I couldn't find this information from precious posts so I figured I'd ask...does anyone know how many applicants were waitlisted? My neuroticism is getting the best of me.
Around half of the interviewed applicants are offered wait-list positions. (1/3 accept, 1/2 WL, 1/6 Reject) I'm guessing most have decided to stay on the wait list at this time

Reactions: 1 users
Around half of the interviewed applicants are offered wait-list positions. (1/3 accept, 1/2 WL, 1/6 Reject) I'm guessing most have decided to stay on the wait list at this time

These numbers indicate that about 34-68 students would be offered a position off of the waitlist. I think previous years had only around 25 seats offered. Either way, the odds aren't good :(

Hi, Thanks for posting! Where did you get this information/is it reliable? I thought they usually do the 1/3 split for each, but I may be wrong.

These numbers indicate that about 34-68 students would be offered a position off of the waitlist. I think previous years had only around 25 seats offered. Either way, the odds aren't good :(
25 seats sounds accurate. If 300+ were wait listed initially I'm guessing only around 250 will still be on the list by May 15. (Pure speculation)
Hi, Thanks for posting! Where did you get this information/is it reliable? I thought they usually do the 1/3 split for each, but I may be wrong.
It's what I heard from Brian on my interview day. :)

Last edited:
I have officially decided to attend UCSD and have withdrawn from my other acceptances! Go Tritons!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone on the waitlist been rejected? I didn't receive the email asking to confirm keeping my spot on the waitlist and I'm afraid that means I'll be rejected?

Has anyone on the waitlist been rejected? I didn't receive the email asking to confirm keeping my spot on the waitlist and I'm afraid that means I'll be rejected?

Call Brian and ask! I remember him saying that they will ask all ppl on WL if they are still interested, so maybe it's just an error on their side.

hey guys! I'm wait listed here, but for those that went to revisit day, how was it?! :)

If anyone gets off the waitlist or hears of any movement, please post a short message so those of us still waiting can get a sense if and when things move... Good luck if you are in limbo like me..

Reactions: 7 users
Just dropping by to let everyone know that I withdrew from the WL last night! Good luck to all WLers in the coming days/weeks/months!

Waitlist updates anyone?
I haven't heard anything. From last years thread a couple people got pulled near the end of may then silence for the rest of the summer. That is, of course, only SDN users though.

Did anyone call Brian to ask about their chances of getting off the waitlist?

Just called Brian.
At this point they are full, they had a few offers but not much movement.He said that based on previous years they should have more movement in June/July.
I guess I will withdraw from WL, since I already hold an acceptance!

I plan on applying to UCSD this cycle. Can anyone tell me what there policy is for LOR? I've searched this thread and their website. Is it either a committee letter or a packet of 3 letters?

Rejected from WS a few days ago by email. Great school and great that they have the courtesy to let applicants without a chance know it compared to some other schools who just waitlist several hundred applications. Good luck everyone. If you attend here go surfing for us.

So I called and Brian said that in previous years, he's never been done accepting people off the waitlist by June 11th... so there's still hope, everyone!

We'll be okay!

giphy.gif

Looks like the Med school admission portal for 2013-2014 cycle is no longer accessible to WL'd students. Can someone else double check and if true what does this mean for all of us waiting in hope?

Looks like the Med school admission portal for 2013-2014 cycle is no longer accessible to WL'd students. Can someone else double check and if true what does this mean for all of us waiting in hope?
Just checked mine from an email link and I could access it. Still looks the same as it has since my interview.

Do many med students live in the single grad housing? I'd prefer Rita, One Miramar or Mesa, but the waitlists are so long.

Can someone add me to the facebook group? I sent a join request a couple days ago

anyone know if UCSD trimmed the waitlist anymore? or if it looks like there will be any more acceptances throughout July?

:( anyone here?

There was a post from 'gyngyn' on the 'SDN waitlist support' thread yesterday indicating that there was a fair bit of movement on UCSD waitlist recently. Some friends tell me that UCSD SOM does pay attention to LOI so something to consider.

Can anyone tell me the date of the White Coat Ceremony for the UCSD entering class of 2014?

Can anyone tell me the date of the White Coat Ceremony for the UCSD entering class of 2014?
Last year it was on Friday, August 30th so this year it will probably be on Friday, August 29th.

I think you're in the wrong year lol.

Hey guys, just got the email asking for my ssn... how long does it take to receive a secondary?

ur focusing strictly on UCSD, and btw in comparison to other state schools, CA schools are more open (that doesn't mean your odds as an OOS are good, but theyre better than an OOS CA applicant.)
I agree. We don't get much love on east coast, unless you have very strong stats.