2013-2014 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my acceptance letter yesterday!

does anyone know about the perks of the campuses? Besides location, what are other differences? Also, anyone know if the chicago campus is full?

Members don't see this ad.

Got my acceptance letter yesterday!

does anyone know about the perks of the campuses? Besides location, what are other differences? Also, anyone know if the chicago campus is full?

Rockford has the highest step1 scores and a mcdonalds at every corner. peoria has the 2nd highest step1 scores and urbana has the lowest. chicago is nice. Also in terms of housing, you could get a house in rockford for like $700/month, and you can probably join a gang as well. Crime rate is off the charts! Also Rockford campus has no cafeteria, so yeah... and library closes at 9PM. I'm all about the food availability and library hours. Can't be eating mickey d's everyday.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone from previous cycles offer me some insight on the admissions time line?

I interviewed 2/28; still "decision pending" and on hold with UMED for potential interview (supposedly they haven't decided on my file yet - aka "decision pending" actually means pending! or they rejected me and didn't tell me yet?).

Is the admissions committee done meeting or do they tend to continue with the 3rd Thursday meetings in April/May?
Does anyone know when they start compiling wait list positions?
At what point does "decision pending" start meaning rejection?

I know this is a lot of what ifs but was curious from patterns....

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone from previous cycles offer me some insight on the admissions time line?

I interviewed 2/28; still "decision pending" and on hold with UMED for potential interview (supposedly they haven't decided on my file yet - aka "decision pending" actually means pending! or they rejected me and didn't tell me yet?).

Is the admissions committee done meeting or do they tend to continue with the 3rd Thursday meetings in April/May?
Does anyone know when they start compiling wait list positions?
At what point does "decision pending" start meaning rejection?

I know this is a lot of what ifs but was curious from patterns....

So did someone from UMed 1. Tell you that you are "on hold" or 2. Ask about your availabilities for a "potential" interview?

To answer your other questions. Looking from last year's thread, it seems that the "Decision Pending" people are going to have to wait until May to hear any news at all (waitlist/acceptance/rejection). From what I've gathered, the people reviewing apps at UMed make decisions that are completely independent of the decisions made by the adcom. Without an admission from adcom, your admission to UMed is not real.

just received my acceptance letter in the mail!! I am going to be a doctor (tear jerker) so humbling :hilarious:

So did someone from UMed 1. Tell you that you are "on hold" or 2. Ask about your availabilities for a "potential" interview?

To answer your other questions. Looking from last year's thread, it seems that the "Decision Pending" people are going to have to wait until May to hear any news at all (waitlist/acceptance/rejection). From what I've gathered, the people reviewing apps at UMed make decisions that are completely independent of the decisions made by the adcom. Without an admission from adcom, your admission to UMed is not real.
I got an e-mail stating that they can't extend me an interview due to the status of my file...that they would get back to me "following a decision" Did anyone else get this? Feels like a rejection. Especially since you got an interview with "decision pending" still! (Way to call me out on my wording though haha!)

I just want this so badly :( Wish there was something I could do.

just received my acceptance letter in the mail!! I am going to be a doctor (tear jerker) so humbling :hilarious:

Congrats!!! When did you interview, stats and did your status change?

Accepted Saturday. Withdrawing today. Good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Thank youuuu!

Last edited:
I got an e-mail stating that they can't extend me an interview due to the status of my file...that they would get back to me "following a decision" Did anyone else get this? Feels like a rejection. Especially since you got an interview with "decision pending" still!

I just want this so badly :( Wish there was something I could do.

Thank youuuu!

thanks :) I am non-traditional, finance major, bachelors in 2006
BCPM 3.46 (Post Bacc GPA 3.7)
MCAT 29
Interviewed 3/14 Status change last 3/28

Looks like they're sending out UMED logistics stuff now, just got an e mail for it. I've withdrawn from UIC so I didn't read it but the info should be coming if you've received an invite

Congrats! What campus are you on? I got an interview and was assigned to the UPR track. I won't be invited to second day look but just in case the GMED interview goes well and I have to live in Chicago, I would love to attend the Second Day look and learn more about the Chicago campus. Do you know who to email for Second day look? Private message me, thank you!
Got a GMED interview today
ts

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an acceptance yesterday!! So happy, humbled, and grateful. I love this school <3. Can anyone who has visited the other campuses/current med students shed some light as to their impressions/likes/dislikes of the other campuses outside of what's been already said on the forum above???

Reactions: 1 users
Could anyone share at what time second look is supposed to end on Friday?

Anyone with decision pending receive a "you are still under consideration email, but we reserve the right to hold off on making a decision until June?" for the march adcom meeting?
I didn't, but don't know if that means anything. I hope there's a little movement in the next few weeks and we both get happy news soon!

Reactions: 2 users
I just got an acceptance yesterday!! So happy, humbled, and grateful. I love this school <3. Can anyone who has visited the other campuses/current med students shed some light as to their impressions/likes/dislikes of the other campuses outside of what's been already said on the forum above???

I assume you are asking about the UPR campuses. I went to Urbana for undergrad and the campus was great. The medical school building is right next to the quad (where all the main buildings are). Cost of living is pretty cheap, much cheaper than chicago, but I would suggest finding somewhere off campus (cheaper and less noise). Getting around is easy, the bus system is one of the best I've been on outside a metropolitan area or you can take your bike. You can bring your car but don't expect to easily find parking around campus and they've also been adding a lot of meters. They have two main hospitals: Carle and Provena. Overall, I liked the area and had it as my second choice.
I don't really know about Peoria or Rockford, but I interviewed at Rockford and just wasn't feeling the area. There was a previous post about Rockford, you should check that out.

Also CONGRATS!!!

I assume you are asking about the UPR campuses. I went to Urbana for undergrad and the campus was great. The medical school building is right next to the quad (where all the main buildings are). Cost of living is pretty cheap, much cheaper than chicago, but I would suggest finding somewhere off campus (cheaper and less noise). Getting around is easy, the bus system is one of the best I've been on outside a metropolitan area or you can take your bike. You can bring your car but don't expect to easily find parking around campus and they've also been adding a lot of meters. They have two main hospitals: Carle and Provena. Overall, I liked the area and had it as my second choice.
I don't really know about Peoria or Rockford, but I interviewed at Rockford and just wasn't feeling the area. There was a previous post about Rockford, you should check that out.

Thank you so much! Your reply was really helpful :) I read that last post on Rockford, and it was useful. Can you expand a little more about what you didn't like about Rockford when you interviewed? What was your impression of the students, campus, and opportunities there?

Congrats to you as well!!! I saw you just got accepted :) Are you coming to UIC?

Thank you so much! Your reply was really helpful :) I read that last post on Rockford, and it was useful. Can you expand a little more about what you didn't like about Rockford when you interviewed? What was your impression of the students, campus, and opportunities there?

Congrats to you as well! I saw you just got accepted. Are you coming to UIC?
Thank you and yes I got an email from uic with a student ID number, so I hope so lol.
Overall I liked the students, but the campus and opportunities weren't what I was looking for. The medical building was nice, they recently updated areas like the lecture room and the break room. They showed us their clinical training rooms, which I believe there were 2 (or they showed us two). The students that gave us our tour were very nice, one was a non-traditional who was in her 40s and the other was in his late 20s pursing RMED. They have small classes, so everybody knows everybody, which can be good or bad. In terms of opportunities, I know that under the UPR track they don't start their clinical experiences until the second year, because Urbana doesn't provide it the first year. None of the students at Rockford said it hinders them in anyway though. Based on the areas I went through ( I did a little exploring after the interview) it seems like a blue collar area. If you want more of an urban setting, I wouldn't suggest Rockford, but if I didn't have a choice I wouldn't pass on Rockford. Hope that helps and good luck with your decision!

I was placed in Rockford and decided to visit last week to see the campus. Very small, one building campus in the middle of a subdivision (single family homes all around). Building houses the lecture rooms, clinical practice rooms, library, etc. The student guides said that they liked it there and felt that the class was very cooperative/collaborative and that there wasn't much competition between classmates. The M3 hospitals for clinical rotations are somewhat close (I think one was 5-10 mins away, not sure about others). The M2 students do family practice clinical experiences at least once per week (my guides were traveling out to Belvidere - about 20 mins by highway - so a car is almost essential). They said that since there are no residents, as an M3/M4 you are given more responsibility and have more opportunities (for example in the surgery rotation). Research opportunities are scarce but you can find something if you put in enough effort. Cost of living seems really cheap. Rockford the city seems very run down and the students mention that there are some unsafe areas but that the campus is in a safe area.

Thank you and yes I got an email from uic with a student ID number, so I hope so lol.
Overall I liked the students, but the campus and opportunities weren't what I was looking for. The medical building was nice, they recently updated areas like the lecture room and the break room. They showed us their clinical training rooms, which I believe there were 2 (or they showed us two). The students that gave us our tour were very nice, one was a non-traditional who was in her 40s and the other was in his late 20s pursing RMED. They have small classes, so everybody knows everybody, which can be good or bad. In terms of opportunities, I know that under the UPR track they don't start their clinical experiences until the second year, because Urbana doesn't provide it the first year. None of the students at Rockford said it hinders them in anyway though. Based on the areas I went through ( I did a little exploring after the interview) it seems like a blue collar area. If you want more of an urban setting, I wouldn't suggest Rockford, but if I didn't have a choice I wouldn't pass on Rockford. Hope that helps and good luck with your decision!

Yeah, you definitely are! I got that same email today. Congrats once again :) Thank you for your reply! It was definitely helpful :)

I was placed in Rockford and decided to visit last week to see the campus. Very small, one building campus in the middle of a subdivision (single family homes all around). Building houses the lecture rooms, clinical practice rooms, library, etc. The student guides said that they liked it there and felt that the class was very cooperative/collaborative and that there wasn't much competition between classmates. The M3 hospitals for clinical rotations are somewhat close (I think one was 5-10 mins away, not sure about others). The M2 students do family practice clinical experiences at least once per week (my guides were traveling out to Belvidere - about 20 mins by highway - so a car is almost essential). They said that since there are no residents, as an M3/M4 you are given more responsibility and have more opportunities (for example in the surgery rotation). Research opportunities are scarce but you can find something if you put in enough effort. Cost of living seems really cheap. Rockford the city seems very run down and the students mention that there are some unsafe areas but that the campus is in a safe area.

Great, thanks for your input :) This was really helpful!

When did you receive your acceptance? Was it the email that gave your UIN and talked about immunization?

I emailed Kayla Taylor the one who sent me an email about the University Identification Number (UIN) and she said

I am happy to clarify. This email does not mean that you are assigned to the Chicago campus. All of the sites fall under the University of Illinois at Chicago umbrella, hence the wording in the University Identification Number email. You will be notified via a different email once your site has been assigned. I hope this helped and please let me know if you have more questions.

Frowny Face

Last edited:
I emailed Kayla Taylor the one who sent me an email about the University Identification Number (UIN) and she said

I am happy to clarify. This email does not mean that you are assigned to the Chicago campus. All of the sites fall under the University of Illinois at Chicago umbrella, hence the wording in the University Identification Number email. You will be notified via a different email once your site has been assigned. I hope this helped and please let me know if you have more questions.

Frowny Face
aww flip! well I wasn't completely sure but then I got a housing email which described certain Chicago amenities (like under how to get around, they talk about using the CTA). Thanks for the clarification, but still wondering why they even sent the housing email. Did she mention how we would find out? (email, status page...)

Last edited:
aww flip! well I wasn't completely sure but then I got a housing email which described certain Chicago amenities (like under how to get around, they talk about using the CTA). Thanks for the clarification, but still wondering why they even sent the housing email. Did she mention how we would find out? (email, status page...)

I brought my site preference card this past Monday into the admission office and they said they will email us which track we get

I am pretty sure we are just put on a listserv. Being that the admission office is in Chicago, we get chicago emails. I have not heard anyone getting Urbana housing emails until they get the UPR track on this forum. But I hope I am wrong and we have the chicago track

Got my acceptance a few days ago-called/emailed and declined today. I recently got into a school that I like more/is closer to home/my dad went to. I felt rude having to call and say no after all the trouble the application process is, but I am glad that it means one more of you guys gets to have a place at this school! Good luck everyone and I hope my spot goes to someone awesome! =)

Also, I just called the office: there is an adcom meeting this month but she told me that, "they don't tell us when they're meeting" so there could be another round of acceptances in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed.

So, I'm an admitted GPPA student, and I just found out that I was assigned to the Urbana campus for M1, and Rockford for M2-M4. Should I still take the guaranteed seat, even though it's not at the Chicago campus? I've heard not so great things about the Rockford campus. I have to choose between this and UChicago...and right now, I'm leaning towards UChicago...

So, I'm an admitted GPPA student, and I just found out that I was assigned to the Urbana campus for M1, and Rockford for M2-M4. Should I still take the guaranteed seat, even though it's not at the Chicago campus? I've heard not so great things about the Rockford campus. I have to choose between this and UChicago...and right now, I'm leaning towards UChicago...

Idk much about UChicago stats other than it #11 in US news ranking and 10k more expensive each year. but Rockford has the highest average for Step 1 exams for the UofI COM and cost of living is so much cheaper but more difficult to get some research position than UChicago. Those being the top two factors for matching into a better residency.

Do you want to live in chicago and have the name, University of Chicago? I would go here if you want to teach and do research. If you want be part academia, UChicago will help you be part of it.

or do you want to not be in debt as much by the time you graduate? I would go here if you would just want to practice medicine mainly because it is cheaper. It doesnt matter where you go to medical school in the US to get residency of your choice. It is the MDs that graduate from outside the country that have a difficult getting the residency they want. I know ppl that went to peoria and did their residency at harvard.

I hope this helps

Go where you will be happy. That's what matters. I don't care where you are. If you aren't happy, performing well won't be an easy task. Med school is hard enough and most of the curriculum is same. Just my thoughts....

Hello Everyone! I have a question for those who already received your placement info. Does anybody know when school starts? or when orientation will take place? I am from California and I would appreciate some info to start preparing for my move. Thanks!!

Hello Everyone! I have a question for those who already received your placement info. Does anybody know when school starts? or when orientation will take place? I am from California and I would appreciate some info to start preparing for my move. Thanks!!

Chicago
Orientation august 12
class begins august 18

Urbana
Orientation aug 19
class begins august 25

Just got the "we reserve the right to hold onto you until June 1" email. Reading through past threads it doesn't really seem like this means much. I had a heart attack!

Just got the "we reserve the right to hold onto you until June 1" email. Reading through past threads it doesn't really seem like this means much. I had a heart attack!
Me too. They sent this email out pretty late. I wonder if adcom meeting is this Thu.

Me too. They sent this email out pretty late. I wonder if adcom meeting is this Thu.
On Thursday they told me they didn't meet yet this month. That they are just trying to sort through everything. Apparently a only a few acceptances in March when out with some rejections. All stuff we knew. Here's to praying for a positive outcome. I want to go here more than anything!!!

If you hold other acceptances and UIC isn't your top pick PLEASE don't wait to withdraw. Give others a chance.

How was second long btw? Any UMED intel? Deets people!!!!

P.S. It is weird though...if you're meeting this week why go through the trouble to get our hopes up?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if additional scholarships/grants are given to students who have already been accepted and have received their financial aid letters? I'm in-state and had decently high stats (3.9/35) for the school.

Accepted in December
Financial Aid Letter received Mid-March
Received 2 loans, federal unsubsidized and GRAD PLUS....

Last edited:
Any one who was accepted earlier this month get the email about what site they are placed in?
Got my letter on April 4th.
Submitted preference card on the 7th

Any one who was accepted earlier this month get the email about what site they are placed in?
Got my letter on April 4th.
Submitted preference card on the 7th

You guys were received your preference cards a couple days after your letter of acceptance?