2013-2014 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi again everyone. So I just got off the phone with an admissions counselor. She said the committee still hasn't release decisions and while she was expecting them to do so by the end of this week, it's not looking like they will. She does believe they are still accepting but she did not know which campuses still had spots. She also said that acceptances will likely be delivered by phone call, rejections by mail, and she was unsure about waitlist.

This has been excruciating. To everyone to has yet to receive a decision, best of luck.
Thanks for the info! Saved me a call today.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the phone call!! Chicago and Peoria open. Interviewed in December. Don't lose hope and good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just spoke with an admissions counselor, and she said that they will be mailing out decisions tomorrow for everyone still waiting. I asked if that meant all decisions, including acceptances since acceptances normally come via phone call. She said she couldn't comment on that or say anything verbal about acceptances. She did however say that students may potentially be accepted through Friday, so there's still a chance for some. Overall, I did not get a very concrete answer or any real peace of mind, but at least I know I should be getting a letter in the mail with some information soon. Hope this helps those of you still waiting!

anyone hear anything today? Good , bad, or indifferent? I would guess mostly indifferent. ugh

Reactions: 1 user
Thinking of applying. is there any way to bring down the ridiculously high oos tuition from this place?

Has anyone received a letter yet? Status website still says decision pending. Has anyone's status changed?

Edit: Confirmed with admissions that final decisions were indeed mailed on Friday and to expect a scary UIC envelope between today and Thurs.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear.

Last edited:
Can anyone enlighten me about the housing/dorm options and locations for med students at Chicago? Is it shared with undergrads? Also, I can't seem to distinguish the med school from online maps - are 1st and 2nd year classes on the west side of campus near the medical facilities and hospitals?
Coming from California and interviewed at Peoria...
Thanks!
Hi Laura, Classes are on the west side and the on-campus housing is shared with all the grad schools. From what I have learned, lots of people live in off-campus apartments near campus. Let me know if you're still looking for a roommate/apartment. Congrats! Katherine

Has anyone still under consideration received anything by mail yet?

Has anyone still under consideration received anything by mail yet?

I live just the Chicago area and still haven't gotten anything. So I called today. I was informed that they still haven't mailed out decisions and that maybe they'll be mailed out by the end of next week. This is absurd.

I was accepted this morning by phone call!!!

They are still accepting?! Well congrats!

Thanks for saving me a phone call, Chuckerbocker. Last week the admissions counselor I spoke to definitively said they'd be mailing things out last Friday. I have been sprinting home from work all week to check the mail, which I guess I'll just continue to do.

Thanks for saving me a phone call, Chuckerbocker. Last week the admissions counselor I spoke to definitively said they'd be mailing things out last Friday. I have been sprinting home from work all week to check the mail, which I guess I'll just continue to do.
That's what they told me on Monday. They said ALL decisions were mailed and that they'll arrive by Thurs. Apparently they were not given the correct information or just blatantly lied to me to shut me up... I've been doing the exact same thing, rushing home from the train only to find nothing. Has your status changed online?

You might as well call again a bit later to see if anything has changed... All of the Admissions counselors know who I am now... I don't think I should call twice in one day haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody who got off the wait list received official placement?

Spoke to someone at admissions today. All they could say was there should be something going out this week. The obsessive mailbox checking continues!

Frustrating that there appears to be spots available at my campus of preference, yet my request to switch has not been granted yet.

Have any of you been switched? Care to share your reason for requesting the switch? I thought mine was pretty valid, but I guess not.

I apologize for being slightly bitter. Keeping my fingers crossed for more movement..

Just got an email. Waitlisted 1st quartile

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Withdrew my acceptance from the Chicago campus this morning. Loved the school, but not enough to justify the OOS tuition. Good luck to everyone still waiting - I hope the spot goes to one of you guys.

Reactions: 1 users
Weird. I got a phone call from Linda Singleton 3 weeks ago which I thought was an acceptance offer, but I had no status change or any correspondence afterwards. Today I got the waitlist email (1st quartile). I'm not sure what's going on but I'm not impressed and will be withdrawing. Good luck to all

I was also just placed on the waitlist (1st quartile). I can't find anything about past waitlist information. Anybody have some statistics? What are my chances here???

Well I just confirmed that everyone is individually ranked within the quartiles and they other pull people off based on the ranking. Also, they won't care if you try to send letters of intent or anything like that.

I also can't find any previous stats regarding the wait list. They also couldn't tell me how many people were placed on it. The amount of movement can apparently vary quite a bit from year to year. At least at MCW, they told us they've gotten 75 people deep into their waitlist before and they've also not taken a single person. It'll just depend on how many people withdraw this year.

Best of luck to everyone waitlisted!

Well I just confirmed that everyone is individually ranked within the quartiles and they other pull people off based on the ranking. Also, they won't care if you try to send letters of intent or anything like that.

I also can't find any previous stats regarding the wait list. They also couldn't tell me how many people were placed on it. The amount of movement can apparently vary quite a bit from year to year. At least at MCW, they told us they've gotten 75 people deep into their waitlist before and they've also not taken a single person. It'll just depend on how many people withdraw this year.

Best of luck to everyone waitlisted!
Thank you! Do you know if there is a way to find out what number we are? Or do they not want to tell us?

-

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! Do you know if there is a way to find out what number we are? Or do they not want to tell us?
The person who I talked to (and have been talking to a lot) said they don't give her the rankings and she probably wouldn't be allowed to tell me if they did.

Any news?

The facebook group for Chicago campus has 264 member and UPR has 51. Even accounting for older students who run the group it seems they are full?

so how are you guys who got in from OOS going to handle the astronomically high 100k a year tuition given that there's not many opportunities to reduce it through scholarship? that sounds positively horrifying.

Any news?

The facebook group for Chicago campus has 264 member and UPR has 51. Even accounting for older students who run the group it seems they are full?

Here is the official UPR facebook group with 113 members made by Dean Few but some of them are rising M2.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/542977712487058/

And I like many of the UPR people are also members of both UPR and Chicago facebook groups

Last edited:
Don't lose hope everyone! I just got in off the waitlist this morning. Linda Singleton called this morning to let me know there was a spot at the Urbana campus. Good luck to those of you still waiting!

Last edited:
Has anyone else begun applying for the upcoming cycle? How long are you going to wait until submitting? I'm so bored of waiting.
I would recommend submitting your app. If you get accepted from UIC's waitlist in July then you can withdraw before you are verified (and refund everything except the first $160), otherwise your app is still on time for next cycle and will be verified sometime in August most likely.

Don't lose hope everyone! I just got in off the waitlist this morning. Laura Singleton called this morning to let me know there was a spot at the Urbana campus. Good luck to those of you still waiting!
Are you MD or MD/PhD (or have final decisions for that been determined idk)? I know they like to stick the mudphuds in Urbana

I'm still deciding MD/Phd, but for now I am not. My husband is in law school at UIUC, and I'm really involved the College of Applied Health Sciences/Beckman Institute here as well. Staying in Urbana for all four years is what I personally wanted out of all the options. I cannot be 100% sure that the adcom read the letter I sent after I was waitlisted, but I wrote about my ties to the Urbana campus amongst other things. When I received the acceptance phone call, she said that there was a spot in Urbana for all for years if that's what I "still wanted", so I assume she knew I did have a preference. However, I never completed a site preference card or anything like that.

I'm still deciding MD/Phd, but for now I am not. My husband is in law school at UIUC, and I'm really involved the College of Applied Health Sciences/Beckman Institute here as well. Staying in Urbana for all four years is what I personally wanted out of all the options. I cannot be 100% sure that the adcom read the letter I sent after I was waitlisted, but I wrote about my ties to the Urbana campus amongst other things. When I received the acceptance phone call, she said that there was a spot in Urbana for all for years if that's what I "still wanted", so I assume she knew I did have a preference. However, I never completed a site preference card or anything like that.
Thank you for the insightful response. Glad you got your top choice :) I sincerely wish you the best of luck!

Got an offer yesterday...1 year Urbana, 3 Rockford. Just requested to join the UPR facebook page. This doesn't feel real.

Got a phone call yesterday. Urbana then Peoria for me as well!

I went form Under Review to Final Decision has been made. No rejection email. What does this mean?

I went form Under Review to Final Decision has been made. No rejection email. What does this mean?
It means there was an Admissions meeting this week. Last year, if you also had an Additional Correspondence tab, it usually meant you were in. You should get something in the mail soon either way.

It means there was an Admissions meeting this week. Last year, if you also had an Additional Correspondence tab, it usually meant you were in. You should get something in the mail soon either way.
Yeah but that's without an interview...

Hi! I am applying in the current cycle (2014-2015), and I was just wondering if any of you received a final decision letter before seeing a status change. It seems like after the December AdCom meeting, hardly anyone on this year's thread saw a status change but the letters were mailed out today. My status still says Decision Pending, but I'm not so confident in how up-to-date the online status website is since the interview date options were way off when I called to reserve the date.

Just curious (and hopeful) if there has been an instance in the past where an applicant has received the letter without seeing an online status change beforehand.

Hi! I am applying in the current cycle (2014-2015), and I was just wondering if any of you received a final decision letter before seeing a status change. It seems like after the December AdCom meeting, hardly anyone on this year's thread saw a status change but the letters were mailed out today. My status still says Decision Pending, but I'm not so confident in how up-to-date the online status website is since the interview date options were way off when I called to reserve the date.

Just curious (and hopeful) if there has been an instance in the past where an applicant has received the letter without seeing an online status change beforehand.
I don't know that it helps, but I did, in fact, have a status change immediately following the December meeting. Also, I was unaware that they were waiting to send out letters, so I've been agonizing over the lack of mail for the last two weeks. O_O

You'll find out soon enough.

Just kidding. Lol. Last year I did not get a status change and eventually I got an email about a deferred decision. Then eventually I was wait listed. But anyway maybe someone will speak up.

Does anyone who ended up going to UI COM Chicago have any suggestions on where to live for M1/M2 and where people live for M3/M4?

Does anyone who ended up going to UI COM Chicago have any suggestions on where to live for M1/M2 and where people live for M3/M4?
KNOW YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and went to UIC med school
in the mid 70's.I still know the city. In gereral, stay away from anything west of the medical center or south of Roosevelt. Parts of the north west are iffy. If you have money stay in Lincoln park. If you don't, stay in the immediate vicinity of the U of I and hospital complex. You do NOT want to be in the wrong part of Chicago at nite.

If acceptance decision was made on Jan.22. Is there still any chance for Chicago campus placement?

Are students notified of campus placement after a certain period of time after submitting the response envelope, or does everyone just hear back at the same time? I just submitted my envelope, if you've heard back how long did it take?