You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 University of Michigan Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Any idea why they're released slowly over the week? I encountered less torture as a game of thrones character. Good luck to all waiting.
According to the infographic they posted on twitter http://medicine.umich.edu/medschool...chool/files/UMMS_FinancialAid_Infographic.pdf
almost 50% of the enrolled students get scholarships, and remember there is a second round of allocations in April. Let's hope we are in that half
There's no point in worrying a ton about it
almost 50% of the enrolled students get scholarships, and remember there is a second round of allocations in April. Let's hope we are in that half

There's no point in worrying a ton about it Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone get any offers after Wednesday? I wonder how many merit scholarships they give out... They say ~half of the class gets one but it seems like most might be need based.
Also wonder if that big donation they got had an impact on this cycle.
Also wonder if that big donation they got had an impact on this cycle.
I think that there are need based "grants" and merit-based "scholarships, but I may just be hopeful. I wonder if any will go out today, because otherwise, I would just think they would say on twitter that they were going out by 5pm on Wednesday. I wonder if the full ride/large scholarships are broken up the next allocation round into smaller ones.Anyone get any offers after Wednesday? I wonder how many merit scholarships they give out... They say ~half of the class gets one but it seems like most might be need based.
Also wonder if that big donation they got had an impact on this cycle.
Anyone get any offers after Wednesday? I wonder how many merit scholarships they give out... They say ~half of the class gets one but it seems like most might be need based.
Also wonder if that big donation they got had an impact on this cycle.
Seems like the "big donation" was just a pledge, no cash in the door yet. So, can't spend yet what they don't have. Will probably impact future year distributions.
Did anyone who got a scholarship on Wednesday receive a Dean's Scholar Award (Full Scholarship+ Grad Degree)?Thank you! Yes the scholarship covers the cost of tuition.
Here are some highlights of this year’s 2014 Residency match:
- In all, 100 percent of U-M medical graduates matched to one of the specialty residency programs they had applied to – higher than the national average.
- Over 45 percent of U-M’s graduates will enter a primary care field, to serve a growing need for internists, pediatricians, family practitioners, obstetrician/ gynecologists and dual specialists in internal medicine and pediatrics.
- About 32 percent will stay in the state of Michigan for residency, including 28 percent who were selected from among thousands of applicants nationwide for some of the coveted slots in the U-M Health System’s own residency programs. More than 1,100 doctors-in-training in 96 residency and fellowship programs currently train at U-M’s hospitals and clinics. Others will train at hospitals in the metro Detroit area, Lansing and Grand Rapids. Those heading out of state are most likely to be going to California, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania or the state of Washington.
- 35 students this year will graduate with both a medical degree from U-M and an advanced degree in another field from a top-ranked graduate program at U-M or elsewhere, such as the Medical School’s biomedical Ph.D. program, Dentistry, Public Health, Clinical Research, Business or Public Policy.
I'm assuming that those who got full tuition scholarships on Wednesday were the Dean's Scholars? No?Did anyone who got a scholarship on Wednesday receive a Dean's Scholar Award (Full Scholarship+ Grad Degree)?
Got a giant envelope in the mail from Michigan today, but it was just a magazine from Michigan Med. How misleading, haha
Aaaaaand the wait until early April begins!
I'm curious as to how conservative they are in giving out scholarships in the first round. If 50% of matriculating students receive scholarships, it seems like they would have to offer scholarships to 60~75% of accepted students, since the top accepted students are more likely to attend other schools. I'm wondering what the smallest scholarship amounts offered in the first round were.
Happy to report I received a $35,000 per year offer on Wednesday. Seems like they've given out a decent chunk of scholarships but I imagine there's still plenty of money to go around. Good luck to those who haven't heard!
Tough decisions ahead! Really happy to have Michigan as an affordable option, though!
Tough decisions ahead! Really happy to have Michigan as an affordable option, though!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone and congrats to those who got scholarships! I am curious to know if any in-state people got some scholarships? Tuition scholarships would be at the most 30K for IS, I believe?
I'm IS, but with stats below the average, I'm not thinking I'm in the queue for a scholarship if they only give out enough for 50% of the students. For instate, unless you have stellar stats or are URM (U of M really struggles with diversity), I wouldn't count on scholarship, but would look to need based help if your economics warrant it. As my parents both work at UMHS, I don't qualify for need based, but it is still cheaper than any private/out of state option (actually only a few thousand more per year than my undergrad cost as IS for U of M).
I'm IS, but with stats below the average, I'm not thinking I'm in the queue for a scholarship if they only give out enough for 50% of the students. For instate, unless you have stellar stats or are URM (U of M really struggles with diversity), I wouldn't count on scholarship, but would look to need based help if your economics warrant it. As my parents both work at UMHS, I don't qualify for need based, but it is still cheaper than any private/out of state option (actually only a few thousand more per year than my undergrad cost as IS for U of M).
Hmmmm... well IS people need a little bit of financial love too! I really felt that my stats and post-undergraduate experience warranted a lil sumthin sumthin. Hopefully we will hear that they are distributing more scholarships in the weeks to come.
Other than that, I am sooooooooooo excited to be starting med school and going to UMich in August!!!! Whooo hooo! We are going to be doctors!
Looking at the latest admissions tracker, the OOS MCAT average stat is 36, while in the IS MCAT average is 34.5. Somewhere Director Ruiz mentioned that 60-70% of acceptance students also have other admissions at top ten schools. Therefore, they are spending their financial aid dollars on attracting the 50% of OOS with the high stats to keep up their rankings (which dropped to 12, but 4 schools were tied for 8th last year, which really means about the same). I wouldn't turn down free money, but this is all about the numbers and rankings, and using their resources to attract the best class. Unless you have acceptances at other top schools (which they can see), or have some special circumstance, don't think the IS will rise to the top of the heap without stellar stats. But from a pricing standpoint, all the public med schools are Michigan are a good deal at about $30K a year.
Does the FinAid package come out soon? I'm honestly losing track of all these dates/deadlines
Anyone have any tips to get in for applicants this coming cycle? I know I'm going to have to apply early and score a really good MCAT, but besides that?
I'm curious as to how conservative they are in giving out scholarships in the first round. If 50% of matriculating students receive scholarships, it seems like they would have to offer scholarships to 60~75% of accepted students, since the top accepted students are more likely to attend other schools. I'm wondering what the smallest scholarship amounts offered in the first round were.
I don't think they can over allocate the scholarships, so they offer to folks they want to recruit, if they turn it down, then they recycle in APril/May. Not like acceptances where they "over" accept with an assumption of a certain percentage declining. Just my 2 cents on the matter
I don't think they can over allocate the scholarships, so they offer to folks they want to recruit, if they turn it down, then they recycle in APril/May. Not like acceptances where they "over" accept with an assumption of a certain percentage declining. Just my 2 cents on the matter
From the tweet chat:
"@UMichMedAdmiss Ah, so the total allotment has already been spread out but will be reallocated if current offers are not accepted?
Yes--absolutely correct! We expect this to happen but don't know exactly when or how much will be available #MIchMed168"
So it sounds like all scholarship money has been allocated and more will be redistributed as people withdraw.
It also seems from the twitter feed that money may later go out to cover partial cost of living
2014 actual U of Michigan Match List. U of M really like their own Med Students!!
http://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/sites/medicine.umich.edu.medschool/files/2014MatchList-pdf.pdf
http://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/sites/medicine.umich.edu.medschool/files/2014MatchList-pdf.pdf
Or, conversely, that Michigan students really like Michigan 🙂2014 actual U of Michigan Match List. U of M really like their own Med Students!!
http://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/sites/medicine.umich.edu.medschool/files/2014MatchList-pdf.pdf
I really hope this stays true. I want this school so bad!!Or, conversely, that Michigan students really like Michigan 🙂
Can anyone give insight into the curriculum? Is it more traditional, pbl heavy, or a mix of both? What is a typical weekly class schedule like? Input from current med students will be greatly appreciated
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone give insight into the curriculum? Is it more traditional, pbl heavy, or a mix of both? What is a typical weekly class schedule like? Input from current med students will be greatly appreciated
Curriculum is more traditional in the sense that it is a 2 year pre clinical, although our 2nd year is shortened so we do start clinicals a little bit earlier than most "traditional" schools. The curriculum is set up as a systems based learning with normal physio learned during M1 and abnormal learned during M2. There isn't pbl explicitly but we do have some small group learning sessions; these consist of Longitudinal Case (LC) small groups and Physio small groups. In LC there is typically an interesting case that is presented but we focus more on the ethics and other things as opposed to the pathophysio or physio. Typical early M1 weekly class schedule consists of lectures in the morning and histology or anatomy labs in the afternoon. Small group sessions are also in the afternoon. Might seem like a lot of class but we have many afternoons off (especially during exam weeks when the schedule is very very light to give us more time to study). Typical weekly class schedule is going to change for us now that histology and anatomy are done, so instead of histology we will have histopathology lab sessions.
With that said, Michigan is one of the schools that received a grant to reshape their curriculum over the next 10 years: http://www.amednews.com/article/20130615/house/130619939/8/
It is clear that one of UMMS's goals is to create "the next leaders in healthcare". On their site, it says they're incorporating leadership development into its curriculum, but apart from special orientation events and special lecturers, I can't really find much else on this topic. Can anyone speak on how else they are fulfilling/will fulfill their goal?
I'm looking for a roommate in my 2br 2ba apartment at State St. and Ann St. I picked this spot because it is near the life of State St. and Kerrytown, and also walking distance to the hospital. I'm an older student who is into meditation, yoga, holistic medicine, cycling and ice hockey. I don't drink and am a extroverted introvert. Just to give a sense. Also, I'm looking for another guy to live with. Let me know of you might be interested.
Can anybody comment on pursuing an MPH at Michigan? Is there any sort of funding to support the year for the additional degree or do most students just take out additional loans? Does the grant listed as part of the financial aid estimate carry over to an MPH year? Thanks!
I requested an estimate and received it last week.Has anyone gotten financial aid package info yet?
I received an estimate on March 28thHas anyone gotten financial aid package info yet?
Yes I amAnyone still looking for a roommate?
Has anyone gotten financial aid package info yet?
Also received a financial aid package estimate. Did you email the office to request one? Here is the email address for Mary Jo Blinn, who is our fin aid officer: [email protected].
I emailed her and got an estimate 3 days later. Hope this helps!
Anybody hear back from a later round of scholarship offers? Or know when they should start coming out?
from the tweets i got the impression that they allocated everything they had in the last round and that it's going to be "one out one in" from here on rather than another round of offers. i can't imagine too many people who received a scholarship in that first round would turn them down so quickly though.Anybody hear back from a later round of scholarship offers? Or know when they should start coming out?
It is clear that one of UMMS's goals is to create "the next leaders in healthcare". On their site, it says they're incorporating leadership development into its curriculum, but apart from special orientation events and special lecturers, I can't really find much else on this topic. Can anyone speak on how else they are fulfilling/will fulfill their goal?
The specific leadership training aspect of the curriculum was only launched recently, entailing just what you mentioned above, but it will be emphasized more and more with each incoming class until the official new curriculum launches in a couple years. I've heard anecdotally our class might be getting a bit more exposure during our M2 year, but the definite plans haven't yet been announced. There's a website that recently went live regarding the new curriculum, which has some more information: http://curriculum.med.umich.edu
While there hasn't a ton of explicit "leadership development" time, we did adopt a new model for PBL/small groups this year, in which 2 students run the case discussion/presentations as "small group facilitators," and we rotate so everybody gets a few chances to do those -- it's certainly good practice and has been a great experience.
I would expect the next wave after Second Look (4/24-4/26), since it's getting closer to May and those deciding between one or more schools will have probably revisited their other option(s) and gotten a sense of which school will fit them better.from the tweets i got the impression that they allocated everything they had in the last round and that it's going to be "one out one in" from here on rather than another round of offers. i can't imagine too many people who received a scholarship in that first round would turn them down so quickly though.
I've heard that the Dean's Scholars program provides med students funding for a 5th year/dual degree, but beyond that I'm not too familiar with financial aid in the context of dual degrees at UMMS. There might be some info here: http://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/education/md-program/opportunities/dual-degreesCan anybody comment on pursuing an MPH at Michigan? Is there any sort of funding to support the year for the additional degree or do most students just take out additional loans? Does the grant listed as part of the financial aid estimate carry over to an MPH year? Thanks!
Get in touch with the financial aid office, or make sure to ask during Second Look if you'll be able to attend!
Given that M3 year moves to tiered grading, like pretty much everywhere else (H/HP/P/F), it would make sense that students are ranked. They use clerkship grades and Step 1 scores when selecting the ~30 members of AOA in the rising M4 class (top 1/6 of the class) at UMMS. I haven't heard the exact formula and weighting of each component, or if all clerkships are equal given that some are longer than others.During the pre clinical years Michigan has no internal ranking among medical students. I am assuming that there is an internal ranking during the clinical years. Is this right?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw that the new library won't be open until M2 for the current accepted students, what's the current library situation like?
I saw that the new library won't be open until M2 for the current accepted students, what's the current library situation like?
I had my interview on one of the floors and it was BARE. Haha. Based on what a current student told me, I guess we would have to go elsewhere to study...but he said that there are a lot of options.
I saw that the new library won't be open until M2 for the current accepted students, what's the current library situation like?
They've moved our computer lab into a different room that's in the medical school. Currently, we have the large computer room, a room that has a bunch of cubicles/computers, Fursty (med student lounge), and the 8th floor of the old children's hospital. Within Fursty there are computers, tables, and then a separate completely silent room with desks. There are also a bunch of small group rooms throughout the medical school that all have white boards and markers.
Obviously, the situation isn't ideal, but it really hasn't made much of an impact on me. The best part is that the administration are really willing to listen to our concerns and make actual changes to make our experience better, in turn making your classes' experience better. Plus, when you guys have to really crack down and study (M2 year), you'll have a brand new spanking library; Our class will be returning from Step 1 and starting clinical rotations without a chance to use the new library at all 🙁.
Plus the 7th floor of Old mott, plus the other 25 libraries on campus, plus all the all the little nooks and atria around the hospital (CVC atria).
If you want a specific "med school" library so you can be surrounded by journals you won't read, then that's probably not going to happen your M1 year. If you're looking for a place to study, there is no shortage of options available to you!
If you want a specific "med school" library so you can be surrounded by journals you won't read, then that's probably not going to happen your M1 year. If you're looking for a place to study, there is no shortage of options available to you!
My financial aid estimate includes a ~$10K need-based grant for the M1 year. There was another school I'm considering that offered a $40K grant across 4 years. For those current students receiving need based aid, do you know if it's reasonable to expect a similar amount of aid for the next 3 years, assuming the same financial circumstances?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
Thanks to everyone posting updates.