2014-2015 Dartmouth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone had their letters marked as received? If not, does your status page read something like "AMCAS indicates to us that they have not yet received your letter(s) of evaluation. All questions regarding your letters should be directed to AMCAS."

Just confused because the wording makes it sound like letters aren't assigned rather than just not being retrieved.

I just got my letters marked as received this morning. They sent me an email, and I submitted pretty much as soon as the secondary was out. It just takes a little time for them to say that they got the letters from AMCAS. You shouldn't have to do anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an email from Dartmouth as well and I thought it was some kind of cruel junk mail joke or something... my AMCAS is still in "Ready for Review" status so how did Dartmouth know? Is AMCAS pre-releasing applications or something?
so what will happen is that dartmouth will receive a list of people applying to their school. if you're not verified yet, it will just be your name and email which is how they are able to send you the secondary.
GW, NYMC, Yale, and BU do that too (i know because these are the 5 secondaries i have received thus far haha)

Members don't see this ad :)
My letters haven't been received either... confused..
It just takes them awhile to process them. Don't worry. If yours takes long, so is everyone else's. They'll email you to let you know you're all set.

I literally applied a 1-2 hours after I got the secondary. It's just making me a bit worried :/

For the secondary: Are you all putting EVERY class you took into the prereq section? Or just including the ones that fulfill the requirements? For example - I took a semester of Biochem, but two semesters of Orgo - do I leave off the second semester of orgo?

For the secondary: Are you all putting EVERY class you took into the prereq section? Or just including the ones that fulfill the requirements? For example - I took a semester of Biochem, but two semesters of Orgo - do I leave off the second semester of orgo?
I put every class I wanted them to pay closer attention to i.e. all the classes I could that I got A's in.

Does anyone know if a LOR from a physician is allowed, outside of the required faculty letters?

For AP credit courses - are you all leaving the AMCAS Sem. Hours field blank since on a verified AMCAS primary app that section is left blank for AP course on a college transcript??

Guys what LORs did you submit? I got the idea that they only want committee/ letter packet, although I have more from volunteering/shadowing.

Does anyone know if a LOR from a physician is allowed, outside of the required faculty letters?

Guys what LORs did you submit? I got the idea that they only want committee/ letter packet, although I have more from volunteering/shadowing.

Prior to primaries being released, I had emailed Dartmouth to ask about their letter policy, this was their reply:

"We have no maximum. If you have 4-5 letters that will be great! AMCAS will let you load up to 10. Let us know if you have any more questions."

That being said, I submitted 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 physician, and 1 research from my PI.

Does anyone know how long it takes for Dartmouth to receive the LORs from AMCAS? I submitted the secondary on 07/09 and my status page says that they still don't have them... anyone else in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
i really don't know how a med school will be mad at you for having extra LOR's. i have 2 science (1 from major, the other is my PI and he taught my intro to bio course), 2 physicians, 1 volunteer coordinator.
slightly concerned with not having a non-science prof but YOLO.

Serious question: For "Department" do we list the Class Course assigned by AMCAS (BIOL, PHYS, CHEM) or the actual department name from our university (for example: my Biochemistry course is offered under the department Molecular Biology and Biochemistry)??

That is one expensive secondary. Now the wait begins...

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, What did y'all put under college and department for the course listings?
Thank you :)

Is everyone uploading a photo? Is there a down side to not uploading a photo?

Finally submitted!! :) However, I was wondering if any of you guys have to submit a green card copy to them. I don't know what email I should be sending that stuff to. Any help?

Hi, What did y'all put under college and department for the course listings?
Thank you :)
I put my university name and department listed on my transcript.

Ex BIO 1001 at PODUNK U

Hi! Applying here OOS. Application is complete. Waiting to hear back. When do II's usually come out?

Hi! Applying here OOS. Application is complete. Waiting to hear back. When do II's usually come out?
I'm not sure when they start going out, but last year I got my II email on 8/15. I interviewed on their 1st day of the interview season, 9/5.

Yeah I would expect early August since primary application submissions were delayed a little over a week last year.

So I have three semester of Organic Chemistry and took upper level Molecular and Cellular Biology (which is basically the same as biochem) do you think these will meet the 1 semester biochem requirement? Cause biochem at my school is major restricted and impossible to get into

So I have three semester of Organic Chemistry and took upper level Molecular and Cellular Biology (which is basically the same as biochem) do you think these will meet the 1 semester biochem requirement? Cause biochem at my school is major restricted and impossible to get into
It's best that you email their admission and ask about your situation. I asked them about the credit hour for biochem and received very fast response.

Yeah, I contacted admissions. They told me to send in the course syllabus and a description so they could decide if it covered the necessary content. Lets hope so cause I graduated and don't want to enroll anywhere for 1 course :/

It's best that you email their admission and ask about your situation. I asked them about the credit hour for biochem and received very fast response.
Could you share their response about biochem? The course I took was only 3 credit hours.

I need to get on this secondary. One of my top choices.

Since there are no character limits on the essays, do you guys think a long-ish essay will be frowned upon? I've written an autobiography for a few other schools and would ideally like to put this into the "something else" essay. It's 5 paragraphs, and about as long as my PS. I like it because it paints the most complete portrait of me, talking about my background growing up in another country, my family's difficulties, and how all that eventually led me to choose medicine. The other option is the essay about how I faced a challenge, but I don't want them to be like "oh look another applicant sticks their hardship essay in here". Maybe I'm being paranoid... I've been sitting with this one too long. Thoughts?

Since there are no character limits on the essays, do you guys think a long-ish essay will be frowned upon? I've written an autobiography for a few other schools and would ideally like to put this into the "something else" essay. It's 5 paragraphs, and about as long as my PS. I like it because it paints the most complete portrait of me, talking about my background growing up in another country, my family's difficulties, and how all that eventually led me to choose medicine. The other option is the essay about how I faced a challenge, but I don't want them to be like "oh look another applicant sticks their hardship essay in here". Maybe I'm being paranoid... I've been sitting with this one too long. Thoughts?

What does the length add? If you have repetition with elsewhere in the application, that is looked down upon. Maybe I am I am wrong, but I cant believe you have 5 additional meaningful paragraphs to add to an application, especially after a personal statement. Go through everything and leave it out if its mentioned elsewhere in the app or if you are making the same point over and over. Length isn't an issue, the repetition of examples/ideas/points is.

So I pasted over a secondary for a different MD program into the Geisel secondary and hit submit. I have not paid (I'm glad I caught the mistake before hand), and I have called and emailed the office of admissions. Is there a way they can return the secondary to me so I can put in the correct essay, especially since I haven't paid yet?

I am not a smart man.

What does the length add? If you have repetition with elsewhere in the application, that is looked down upon. Maybe I am I am wrong, but I cant believe you have 5 additional meaningful paragraphs to add to an application, especially after a personal statement. Go through everything and leave it out if its mentioned elsewhere in the app or if you are making the same point over and over. Length isn't an issue, the repetition of examples/ideas/points is.

I'm wondering about the same thing. I end to be very direct when I write and I honestly can't find anything to right for the second prompt. I have 200 words for each, and I just can't think of anything else. argh. Any one else run into this problem? I really want to go here but I can't think of anything do write so can't really "do well" on my secondary...

Random question, are the secondaries automated? (like you send a primary and they automatically send you the email for the secondary?)

Random question, are the secondaries automated? (like you send a primary and they automatically send you the email for the secondary?)
MSAR says everyone receives a secondary, so I would assume it is an automated system.

I submitted my secondary on 7/11 and my letters are still not marked as received yet..anyone else who submitted around that time still waiting?

Do anyone know if Geisel sends "Application Complete" e-mails to us? My application status says they have everything, but I haven't gotten an e-mail that confirms I'm complete.

Do anyone know if Geisel sends "Application Complete" e-mails to us? My application status says they have everything, but I haven't gotten an e-mail that confirms I'm complete.

Yes they do. I submitted my app during the evening of 7/21 and received an application complete email on the morning of 7/22.

Any thought's on using WashU's "failure" essay here? It's more of a here's how I failed, what I learned, and what I did to improve.

For me, submitted secondary (7/21), complete (7/25)

Any thought's on using WashU's "failure" essay here? It's more of a here's how I failed, what I learned, and what I did to improve.

I think that talking about a past challenge and how you overcame it could be a good point of discussion. Make sure to focus on the positives and how you improved rather than painting too much of a negative picture for the "failure" part.

Finally submitted!! :) However, I was wondering if any of you guys have to submit a green card copy to them. I don't know what email I should be sending that stuff to. Any help?

I sent mine to the admissions email address and their reply was "Thank you!"

Complete email this morning. Didn't love the fee

Not sure if all schools do this, but at interviews last year, Andrew Welch said your application goes through 2 sets of eyes before they make a final decision on you. If the first person decides to pass on you, another person will look at it one more time. A lot of schools say they look at your application holistically, but Dartmouth really does do this.