2014-2015 Dartmouth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it a good idea to call if I'm still not complete (because of letters, which have been received by AMCAS for a long time) after about 3 weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a good idea to call if I'm still not complete (because of letters, which have been received by AMCAS for a long time) after about 3 weeks?

I wouldn't worry. They took about 3.5-4 weeks for me. Maybe after another week or so call to check, but I'm sure they are working on it. Are you verified yet? I'm pretty sure they don't request the letters until then.

Reactions: 1 user
I received my complete email the day after I submitted, on 7/21. I might call if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry. They took about 3.5-4 weeks for me. Maybe after another week or so call to check, but I'm sure they are working on it. Are you verified yet? I'm pretty sure they don't request the letters until then.
Yep, have been verified for a long time.

Thanks, will keep an eye out and will call the 4 weeks!

Anybody else got a recruitment email without having applied to Dartmouth...?

Likely tied to your MCAT score, they can't really have access to much else.

Likely tied to your MCAT score, they can't really have access to much else.
Yeah. I would think so, they weren't authorized to see more.

Just applied, was thinking about Dartmouth already, a little kick from the school was all I need.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For the second prompt, is it okay if you describe a new story from an work/activity entry that was mentioned on AMCAS, or do they want you to describe a completely new experience?

I feel like I have specific stories I haven't mentioned on AMCAS, but I don't have any new experiences I haven't mentioned yet.

For the second prompt, is it okay if you describe a new story from an work/activity entry that was mentioned on AMCAS, or do they want you to describe a completely new experience?

I feel like I have specific stories I haven't mentioned on AMCAS, but I don't have any new experiences I haven't mentioned yet.

I feel like anything that you feel adds a new look or new side of your personality/experiences/interests/skills will work. I think what you described makes sense, especially if its for an ongoing activity or something that happened recently.

From the official Geisel News Site:

http://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/news/2014/geisel-school-of-medicine-welcomes-newest-md-class/

"The 89 new MD students represent just a small percentage of the almost 6,000 who applied to Geisel via the American Medical College Application Service. Some members of this class already hold advanced degrees, including PhDs in pharmacology and biophysics. About 20 percent of the class has already had work published in book chapters and scientific journals, such as the Journal of Neuroscience, Oncogene, Journal of Global Health Perspectives, PLoS One, and Science. Almost half the class has participated in research and health-care activities outside the U.S."

Interesting facts about the new 2014 entering MD class:

• The new 89 students were selected from almost 6,000 applicants to Geisel
  • Dartmouth is the most represented college, with 12 graduates.
  • Residents of New York, California, and Massachusetts make up almost half the class.
  • 57 percent of the new MD students are women.
  • 57 percent of the students are individuals of color and/or international students.
  • Almost half the class has participated in scientific investigation or health-care programs outside the U.S., working in a total of 36 countries.
  • More than a dozen members of this class already hold a master’s degree, and three have earned a PhD, two in pharmacology and one in biophysics.
  • There are five veterans in the class, including three from the U.S. Navy (including one SEAL and combat medic), and one each from the Army and Air Force.

From the official Geisel News Site:

http://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/news/2014/geisel-school-of-medicine-welcomes-newest-md-class/

"The 89 new MD students represent just a small percentage of the almost 6,000 who applied to Geisel via the American Medical College Application Service. Some members of this class already hold advanced degrees, including PhDs in pharmacology and biophysics. About 20 percent of the class has already had work published in book chapters and scientific journals, such as the Journal of Neuroscience, Oncogene, Journal of Global Health Perspectives, PLoS One, and Science. Almost half the class has participated in research and health-care activities outside the U.S."

Interesting facts about the new 2014 entering MD class:

• The new 89 students were selected from almost 6,000 applicants to Geisel
  • Dartmouth is the most represented college, with 12 graduates.
  • Residents of New York, California, and Massachusetts make up almost half the class.
  • 57 percent of the new MD students are women.
  • 57 percent of the students are individuals of color and/or international students.
  • Almost half the class has participated in scientific investigation or health-care programs outside the U.S., working in a total of 36 countries.
  • More than a dozen members of this class already hold a master’s degree, and three have earned a PhD, two in pharmacology and one in biophysics.
  • There are five veterans in the class, including three from the U.S. Navy (including one SEAL and combat medic), and one each from the Army and Air Force.
I wish I were as interesting as these people

Reactions: 6 users
I wish I were as interesting as these people

That's what I was thinking! A Navy SEAL who was also a combat medic? How am I supposed to compete with that?

Reactions: 1 users
"20% of class has already had work published in book chapters and scientific journals" -- is this number low or high compared to other medical schools?

A little late to the game over here but just received and submitted in the secondary
Excited!

submitted application today. 3.57 cGPA, 33 MCAT from a top tier school. Not sure I have a chance, but w/e. This is a super reach. I'm a reapplicant, and have a strong upward trend senior year along with tons of shadowing, volunteering, tutoring, research, etc.

"20% of class has already had work published in book chapters and scientific journals" -- is this number low or high compared to other medical schools?

I feel like this is on the higher side.

Got an interview invite this morning! Complete 7/11, LizzyM > 75.

Reactions: 8 users
II also this AM! complete around 7/15, 3.5-3.7; 31-34

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to all of you who received II's this morning! Are you all OOS or IS applicants?

Congrats to everyone who got II's today!

I'm curious what Dartmouth's post interview acceptance rate is, given that they interviewed 727 people for 85 spots last year.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone with IIs! I'm curious if anyone has been rejected or put on hold by Dartmouth yet?

II today.

Last edited:
NICE! Did you get and email or was there just an update on the status page? Also, when did you get the complete email?

THanks
There is no update on the status page as far as I can tell. I received an e-mail.

Congrats to everyone who got II's today!

I'm curious what Dartmouth's post interview acceptance rate is, given that they interviewed 727 people for 85 spots last year.
Interested in this as well. Anyone feel like logging into their US news accunt and posting the specs? Mine expired and I only have MSAR which only gives matriculated, not both # accepted and matriculated like US News.

Interested in this as well. Anyone feel like logging into their US news accunt and posting the specs? Mine expired and I only have MSAR which only gives matriculated, not both # accepted and matriculated like US News.

747 total invites, 266 acceptances for 85 spots. Wow that's kind of surprising, didn't think Dartmouth would need to hand out 3x more acceptances to fill their spots.

Looks like they accept < 40%.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Are accounts expensive? I'm a stats junkie and would love this info for all my schools.

does anyone have an idea of interview format? (maybe a current student out there in the studentdoc universe)

did it take you all a while for dartmouth to receive letters from AMCAS? all of my other schools have them/im complete but dartmouth has not (letter packet received by AMCAS 8/14)

MS1 here - been on sdn for a while but made a new account anyways. Happy to answer questions on here whenever I have the time!

First off - congrats to everyone who has gotten an II so far - that's so exciting! I'll be giving a few tours in the fall so I might just see a few of you there!

Just to let you all know - Dartmouth interviews into late March (maybe even early April last year?) and continues to give out II's til then. Also, a girl in our class interviewed towards the end of march and got in directly without being placed on the wait list so no - you're never interviewing for a wait list spot!

Interview format is 2 thirty minute interviews that happen after lunch at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC). Both of mine were at DHMC but some had it back at the medical school itself. Interviews were pretty relaxed here compared to some of my other schools.

Yeah, not everyone who gets in will want to be in this type of area but to give you an idea about other schools that I quickly took a look at-

NYU: 159 enrolled, 490 accepted
USC: 186 enrolled, 450 accepted
UChicago: 88 enrolled, 241 accepted
Weill: 101 enrolled, 292 accepted

Seems like most schools hover around the 30% yield range but obviously others like UNC, UWashington, and Harvard will be closer to 70-80%

Where did you find all those enrolled/accepted stats if you don't mind me asking? I'd be interested to check out some of the other schools I'm applying to.

Where did you find all those enrolled/accepted stats if you don't mind me asking? I'd be interested to check out some of the other schools I'm applying to.
I believe they are available if you have a subscription to US News & World Reports.