2014-2015 Dartmouth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received the secondary (pre-verification). I'm really surprised by how many schools send them out before AMCAS verification. I wasn't expecting to get any before!

Members don't see this ad.

:( Sitting here spamming refresh on my e-mail hoping the secondary will pop up so I can get to work....

Secondary received. I like these essay prompts. Nice and simple.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So my biochemistry course is 3 units instead of 4 do you think that'll be a big deal to dartmouth? I have other courses which have a lot of biochemistry in them including a food microbiology course.

Just got the secondary as well. Probably will also use a diversity/challenge essay for the 2nd prompt.

So my biochemistry course is 3 units instead of 4 do you think that'll be a big deal to dartmouth? I have other courses which have a lot of biochemistry in them including a food microbiology course.
I'm in a similar boat; I took one biochem course (4 quarter units) and I'm hoping it'll satisfy their requirement :/.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a similar boat; I took one biochem course (4 quarter units) and I'm hoping it'll satisfy their requirement :/.

yea, im on the quarter system too.... this sucks :(. dartmouth is easily one of my top choices.

So for the question about plans for the upcoming year... are yall only listing school courses? No extracurriculars at all?

Just received the secondary (pre-verification). I'm really surprised by how many schools send them out before AMCAS verification. I wasn't expecting to get any before!

I got an email from Dartmouth as well and I thought it was some kind of cruel junk mail joke or something... my AMCAS is still in "Ready for Review" status so how did Dartmouth know? Is AMCAS pre-releasing applications or something?

Received my secondary too, I'm mulling over what to write for my "share something about yourself" essay. Right now, I'm thinking I will write about my interest and experiences in entrepreneurship. Either that or an essay about why Dartmouth. Any opinions?

Received my secondary too, I'm mulling over what to write for my "share something about yourself" essay. Right now, I'm thinking I will write about my interest and experiences in entrepreneurship. Either that or an essay about why Dartmouth. Any opinions?

I think it's pretty clearly worded in a way that a why dartmouth essay wouldn't work.

Members don't see this ad :)
The secondary doesn't specify an essay length... any ideas as to what length would be appropriate?

The secondary doesn't specify an essay length... any ideas as to what length would be appropriate?

Look at other secondary lengths and do something close to them. For me, I would answer the question the best I could without doing more than around 4000 characters.

Because that is not about yourself. That is about Dartmouth. Maybe if you talk about your personal attributes and how they would fit into that school? I wouldn't though ....

I am going to write about my study abroad in Australia and why I have chosen to stay here for an extra month and work 2 jobs.

Would it be bad to be completely candid with Dartmouth? I got to a really nice school with a lot of affluent people and I struggled socially. It wouldn't have been anything noticeable to my friends and people even would have thought I was having the time of my life but I was angry. I want to write about how living in Australia allowed me to let go of whatever grudges or anger I had because I did not change at all once I got here. I kept going for things I wanted and interacting with people and it seemed easier to see all the good coming from putting myself out there.

Is this kind of strange? It's all just about social interaction and embracing people even thought it may not be reciprocated.

My biochem course was 3 credits as well... I am going to call tomorrow to see how strict that is, especially considering I have over 1000 hours of research in a Biochemistry Lab. I'd be pretty irritated if I have to enroll in a BS course or independent study credits (that would mean I wont get paid for my work)

Reactions: 2 users
On the website it just says that a semester of biochemistry is required, no specific credit hours

My biochem course was 3 credits as well... I am going to call tomorrow to see how strict that is, especially considering I have over 1000 hours of research in a Biochemistry Lab. I'd be pretty irritated if I have to enroll in a BS course or independent study credits (that would mean I wont get paid for my work)
Great, thank you! I hope so as well... I did 2 quarters of "Directed Research" in college that was in a Biochemistry lab :/.

Submitted my secondary just now. Has anyone who's also submitted and checked the status seeing the message that their letters have not been received by AMCAS? Been verified since mid-June and other schools have my letters confirmed. Just wondering if others are also seeing this message!

Submitted my secondary just now. Has anyone who's also submitted and checked the status seeing the message that their letters have not been received by AMCAS? Been verified since mid-June and other schools have my letters confirmed. Just wondering if others are also seeing this message!
I'm seeing the same message and have been verified since opening day (June 3rd) I'd say we are fine, processing delay ;)

I have the same message as far as LOR's not received, and my applications at two other schools are also showing the same status. However, three schools show that my LOR's have been received. I'm going to call about it tomorrow and see.

Would it be bad to be completely candid with Dartmouth? I got to a really nice school with a lot of affluent people and I struggled socially. It wouldn't have been anything noticeable to my friends and people even would have thought I was having the time of my life but I was angry. I want to write about how living in Australia allowed me to let go of whatever grudges or anger I had because I did not change at all once I got here. I kept going for things I wanted and interacting with people and it seemed easier to see all the good coming from putting myself out there.

Is this kind of strange? It's all just about social interaction and embracing people even thought it may not be reciprocated.
could go really well or really antagonizing. only you know how artful yoru writing is :)

For a course in progress, do I enter anything for the box for "AMCAS Semesters Hours" or leave it blank since nothing has been earned (like how it is on the primary app)? Thanks.

I put the number of semester hours it's going to be just so they could see that it will fulfill their requirements.

So after talking to the admissions lady, they want a semester of biochemistry and recognize that different schools award different credit amounts for the same course so you should just put down what you have. (3 or 4) provided it comes out to a semester of Biochemistry.

Reactions: 3 users
I made a mistake on this secondary -- put my MCAT as 8/2014 instead of 8/2013 :( i'm so mad at myself. I called them and am waiting for a call back. Hopefully they can change it and it's not a big deal.

I made a mistake on this secondary -- put my MCAT as 8/2014 instead of 8/2013 :( i'm so mad at myself. I called them and am waiting for a call back. Hopefully they can change it and it's not a big deal.

I can't imagine it being a big deal. Since I'm not in your position I can say that I don't think you should worry about it too much.

I can't imagine it being a big deal. Since I'm not in your position I can say that I don't think you should worry about it too much.
Unless they decide to wait until 8/14 to look at the application? I thought that this question was only about MCAT results which are not available on AMCAS yet?

Unless they decide to wait until 8/14 to look at the application? I thought that this question was only about MCAT results which are not available on AMCAS yet?

I don't think that will happen, considering she is already intervening. And no, they are asking for the dates on which you have taken/will take.

So after talking to the admissions lady, they want a semester of biochemistry and recognize that different schools award different credit amounts for the same course so you should just put down what you have. (3 or 4) provided it comes out to a semester of Biochemistry.

so what happens if you're on the quarter system and took a quarter of biochem?

I don't think that will happen, considering she is already intervening. And no, they are asking for the dates on which you have taken/will take.
Agree, and a very good reason to intervene instead of hoping that it's not a big deal.

Do you really think that they're going to punish quarter system schools for this? Some of the best schools in the country are on the quarter system...

She said to put in whatever is on the AMCAS application credit-wise. I think the point is they want you to have taken whatever your school considers to be basic/introductory biochemistry. When they say 4 credits they mean 1 semester not necessarily 4 credits.

Im not familiar with the quarter system (so double check) but if you took what would be considered the introductory biochemistry course at your school it should be fine

Hi guys, I wanted to share what I wrote in my 'tell me something else about yourself' paragraph from last cycle. I wrote about a real eye-opening experience during one of my non medically related volunteering commitments. I also put a slightly humorous spin on it. During interviews, I was told my both my interviewers that they had a good laugh (in a good way I think :p) when they read what I wrote. They said the sense of humor played a role in deciding to send me an II.

Don't be afraid to be quirky :)

Reactions: 2 users
So after seeing the lovely $130 application fee, I'm wondering if I should submit a secondary. Good stats (36/3.99) and some great clinical/volunteer work in the US and abroad, but I have very little research experience. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
So after seeing the lovely $130 application fee, I'm wondering if I should submit a secondary. Good stats (36/3.99) and some great clinical/volunteer work in the US and abroad, but I'm OOS and have very little research experience. Any thoughts?

Lol @ the OOS bit.

So after seeing the lovely $130 application fee, I'm wondering if I should submit a secondary. Good stats (36/3.99) and some great clinical/volunteer work in the US and abroad, but I have very little research experience. Any thoughts?
So I guess I get confused about this scenario, did you not read that this was the secondary cost ahead of time? It's not like a surprise, but I've seen this a couple of different places now so I'm curious.

Its not that I didn't know the cost, its that a lot of people here are talking about their research. And I know MSAR says something like 91% accepted have research, I just wanted to hear a real person's thoughts.

I absolutely love paying around $900 in secondary fees to schools that I am not going to attend

Has anyone had their letters marked as received? If not, does your status page read something like "AMCAS indicates to us that they have not yet received your letter(s) of evaluation. All questions regarding your letters should be directed to AMCAS."

Just confused because the wording makes it sound like letters aren't assigned rather than just not being retrieved.

I have the same status. I had the same issue with Columbia and VCU, but both of them got resolved within a week of submitting the secondary. I think it's just processing lag and takes some time for your letters to get associated with your file.