2014-2015 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same! I'm married but the small class size is really appealing. I graduated from a university with over 30,000 people and always said if I could do it again (minus the post bacc I did...which I guess was my second shot...haha) I'd go to a smaller liberal arts school. But I guess it's ok since I met my husband at my alma mater 😉

Also married. Also attracted to the small class size. And unlike some people, my wife and I would love to live in a small city like Rochester. It would be a bit of a challenge for her to find a job there, but she has a clinical research background, so I think it could work. For those of you who are also married and applying here, how does Rochester square with your SO's career?
 
Also married. Also attracted to the small class size. And unlike some people, my wife and I would love to live in a small city like Rochester. It would be a bit of a challenge for her to find a job there, but she has a clinical research background, so I think it could work. For those of you who are also married and applying here, how does Rochester square with your SO's career?
We plan on my husband being the stay-at-home parent, so Rochester is perfect for that. I have lived in a town similar to Rochester and loved it. I really anticipate loving Rochester as well.

And I also went to a huge UG institution. However, I was on an ICA team, so I had a small group of women that I was very close with. It's not just about the group but also what we accomplished together with hard work. It creates a unique bond.
 
Also married. Also attracted to the small class size. And unlike some people, my wife and I would love to live in a small city like Rochester. It would be a bit of a challenge for her to find a job there, but she has a clinical research background, so I think it could work. For those of you who are also married and applying here, how does Rochester square with your SO's career?
My husband works in Public Health, so we've also been wondering what kind of jobs he could get at some of the schools I've applied to (some of them will be very tricky if that's the only school I get into...yikes!). But if he could find a job at the hospital or at the school, that would be perfect. I guess we will see!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It would be a bit of a challenge for her to find a job there, but she has a clinical research background, so I think it could work. For those of you who are also married and applying here, how does Rochester square with your SO's career?

There's tons of clinical research going on at Mayo, I think her prospects are good.
 
Haha it's flattering you think all of us who said we are married will be a part of the class 😛. Positive thoughts, though! Lol.

Of course I'm also assuming I'll be a part of the class too. 😛 Too bad there isn't enough room for everyone - both married and single. 😉

But seriously, I think positivity is the only thing that gets people through the cycle. I'm working on that - I'm so bad at thinking positively when the odds seem so stacked against me. 🙁
 
Of course I'm also assuming I'll be a part of the class too. 😛 Too bad there isn't enough room for everyone - both married and single. 😉

But seriously, I think positivity is the only thing that gets people through the cycle. I'm working on that - I'm so bad at thinking positively when the odds seem so stacked against me. 🙁
I totally relate. But I just try and remind myself that the cards will fall where they may and as long as we do all that we can, it'll work out. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know if Mayo accepts updates pre-interview invite (aka nowish?) I'm currently "complete" and a paper I'm on was accepted for publication. I don't have any pubs on my app so far. Would it be worth it to send an update now, or will it seem desperate or too soon?

If I recall correctly from last cycle, Mayo doesn't accept update letters until after an interview invite was given. However, I can't seem to find that policy on their website anymore, so it doesn't hurt to give them a call or shoot them a quick e-mail asking (Gina is very friendly!)
 
If I recall correctly from last cycle, Mayo doesn't accept update letters until after an interview invite was given. However, I can't seem to find that policy on their website anymore, so it doesn't hurt to give them a call or shoot them a quick e-mail asking (Gina is very friendly!)

I sent an update last week about a recent publication and they accepted it without any issues. And yes, Gina is very nice indeed!
 
  • Like
Reactions: :))
Also married. Also attracted to the small class size. And unlike some people, my wife and I would love to live in a small city like Rochester. It would be a bit of a challenge for her to find a job there, but she has a clinical research background, so I think it could work. For those of you who are also married and applying here, how does Rochester square with your SO's career?
 
Last edited:
I don't see the point of fretting about their silence.

Some of us will get the interview invites, and some of us won't. It's ok. Either way, those who are meant to go to Mayo inevitably will.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got the letter. They bragged about how great all the applicants were, etc. Good luck to everyone else!
 
When did you guys receive your LOR requests!?

Got mine on 7/19, but no complete email yet!
 
Got my rejection letter too. lol No longer under review.

Sorry about that! Good luck with the other schools that you are applying to!
Mind sharing when your AMCAS was verified?
Mine was verified on 7/15. Haven't heard anything from them :/
 
Sorry about that! Good luck with the other schools that you are applying to!
Mind sharing when your AMCAS was verified?
Mine was verified on 7/15. Haven't heard anything from them :/

Thanks!

I was verified on 6/11 and received the fee request on 6/27.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My condolences to the people who were rejected. Was anyone who was rejected have the status below?

We are pleased to notify you that your application has been selected for final review and interview consideration by the Mayo Medical School Admissions Executive Committee.
 
My condolences to the people who were rejected. Was anyone who was rejected have the status below?

We are pleased to notify you that your application has been selected for final review and interview consideration by the Mayo Medical School Admissions Executive Committee.
I haven't seen that status. When did you receive it?