You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Northwestern University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Estimated GTLO turnaround time for NU secondary when he gets it on monday: over/under 15 minutes?It wasn't until this morning (Saturday morning) that I realized we probably wouldn't be getting any more Feinberg secondaries since it's the weekend...at least I've finished my essays!
Submitted here, and that makes the last one. Phew.
Noticed that FSM's checkboxes on diversity are pretty extensive.
Do you see anywhere to check the status, or did you get an email post-submission? I just submitted too, but even on the "Your Status Page" I don't see anything that says "Incomplete/Submitted/Complete" etc. I also didn't get any sort of email after submitting. I'm not sure if I'm just looking in the wrong place.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you see anywhere to check the status, or did you get an email post-submission? I just submitted too, but even on the "Your Status Page" I don't see anything that says "Incomplete/Submitted/Complete" etc. I also didn't get any sort of email after submitting. I'm not sure if I'm just looking in the wrong place.
We are supposedly supposed to get an email to confirm our payment, but I haven't gotten one yet. I'd wait until Monday.
Where exactly is the "your status" page?
Edit: Nvm, I found it. I guess we just sit tight and wait for them to update.
+16
no supplemental yet :/
+17
Still nothing from UCSF either :/
Finally received the secondary! 5:50 am
I also received the secondary at precisely 5:50 this morning!
Well seeing as I wasn't up at 5:51 AM when I received it this morning... lolEstimated GTLO turnaround time for NU secondary when he gets it on monday: over/under 15 minutes?
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
Just submitted, got the app and fee confirmation email a few minutes later. Still no status available on the portal though.
Was anyone else left out of this 550am secondary giveaway? 😢
Yep. Verified 7/22. (36+/3.8+). It's still early for Northwestern. I hope...
No secondary here either. Primary verified 6/20, I wonder based on what they chose to whom to send the applications first?:/Was anyone else left out of this 550am secondary giveaway? 😢
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No secondary here either. Primary verified 6/20, I wonder based on what they chose to whom to send the applications first?:/
Probably alphabetical order or something 🙄
Or just in numerical order from our AMCAS ID. Any other theories? hahah
I really wouldn't worry about it. A day or two difference in receipt/submission is meaningless, since once they decide to start putting complete apps in front of human eyes, they'll probably sort by something other than date of completion, especially given the number of apps they'll likely receive.No secondary here either. Primary verified 6/20, I wonder based on what they chose to whom to send the applications first?:/
Question 4. (if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and Medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans.
I graduated from university 2 years ago and have already detailed my experiences and activities in depth in my "activities" section in my primaries. should i describe these again or should i just focus on what my plans are for the upcoming year?
I graduated from university 2 years ago and have already detailed my experiences and activities in depth in my "activities" section in my primaries. should i describe these again or should i just focus on what my plans are for the upcoming year?
Question 4. (if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and Medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans.
I graduated from university 2 years ago and have already detailed my experiences and activities in depth in my "activities" section in my primaries. should i describe these again or should i just focus on what my plans are for the upcoming year?
I briefly stated what i've done since graduating college and mostly focused on what i'm doing over the next year.
I'd give a brief summary of the total time, including something like, "as described in my AMCAS application..."Question 4. (if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and Medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans.
I graduated from university 2 years ago and have already detailed my experiences and activities in depth in my "activities" section in my primaries. should i describe these again or should i just focus on what my plans are for the upcoming year?
I'd give a brief summary of the total time, including something like, "as described in my AMCAS application..."
thanks!
also how did you guys interpret the coping skills question? i know that gets asked a lot on this forum, but I thought i would ask your input. I have a "describe a difficult situation, the coping skills you used throughout it, and what you learned" essay from other secondaries and i was hoping to use that, but it seems too specific : /. I guess my difficulty with this question is being unclear about the difference between a coping and a problem solving skill.
thanks!
also how did you guys interpret the coping skills question? i know that gets asked a lot on this forum, but I thought i would ask your input. I have a "describe a difficult situation, the coping skills you used throughout it, and what you learned" essay from other secondaries and i was hoping to use that, but it seems too specific : /. I guess my difficulty with this question is being unclear about the difference between a coping and a problem solving skill.
I understand the dilemma, I described a specific event and how i "coped" with the problem. There was nothing i could do to change the outcome I simply had to take my mind off the situation and let it resolve itself for better or worse. I would say coping = stress relief and problem solving = how to fix it.
My understanding of the definition of coping skills is the tactics you use to remove the stress associated with difficult situations. They're not skills you use to solve the problem, but rather to change your viewpoint so that it doesn't bother you as much anymore. I found the wikipedia article on coping to be very helpful.
I detailed the list of steps I generally go through and the associated coping mechanisms and briefly detailed one experience, but there's definitely a lot of ways to approach the prompt.
I detailed the list of steps I generally go through and the associated coping mechanisms and briefly detailed one experience, but there's definitely a lot of ways to approach the prompt.
Complete status on the portal this morning. Looks like it takes about a day from submission and fee payment to a status update.
+1Is anyone else still patiently awaiting a secondary email??
Did you guys receive your secondaries in your inbox or spam?
Just got mine and it was not in spam.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted and paid but I got no confirmation e-mails and I am unable to log-in to the applicant log-in page. Wonderful
Same 🤔Submitted and paid but I got no confirmation e-mails and I am unable to log-in to the applicant log-in page. Wonderful
Submitted and paid but I got no confirmation e-mails and I am unable to log-in to the applicant log-in page. Wonderful
Same 🤔
I had the same problem right after paying; however I was able to login by using an incognito window on Chrome.
The fee e-mail came about a few hours later and I was eventually marked complete (on the portal) today. I still cannot login using normal Chrome and always have to use incognito.
Interesting! I tried Chrome Incognito and it worked for me too. Thanks for the tip!I had the same problem right after paying; however I was able to login by using an incognito window on Chrome.
The fee e-mail came about a few hours later and I was eventually marked complete (on the portal) today. I still cannot login using normal Chrome and always have to use incognito.
I had the same question; if your packet contains more than 3 letters, they'll accept the rest. I'm not sure if this applies for more than 4 letters though.So is the consensus that they will really only read 3 LORs? I sent in a packet with 4 actual letters and a cover letter on top. If they don't read them all I will be dissapointed as one of my strongest letters is the 4th in the packet.
how is everyone interpreting question 5? Only talking about how any selection you made contribute to diversity, or how you contribute to diversity in other ways, too?
how is everyone interpreting question 5? Only talking about how any selection you made contribute to diversity, or how you contribute to diversity in other ways, too?
The prompt from last year specifically mentioned racial and social background and sexual identity. I assumed they were still looking for the same information.
Anyone still waiting on secondary??
Anyone still waiting on secondary??
Yepp
Anyone still waiting on secondary??
I received the email today. Alphabetical order perhaps? (my last name starts with W)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got it today as well. Super copy pasted my prewritten essays and submitted in 5mins. I broke my personal record.I received the email today. Alphabetical order perhaps? (my last name starts with W)
Haha, that would make sense since I'm a Z. I'm always the very last one to get anything, except our graduation ceremony this year which was the year of reverse alphabetical order. So I was the #1.
I received the email today. Alphabetical order perhaps? (my last name starts with W)
Yeah, that sounds plausible. My last name begins with W as well, and I just got it this morning.
My last name starts with an early-in-the-alphabet letter and I got it last week!Yeah, that sounds plausible. My last name begins with W as well, and I just got it this morning.
Mine is M and I got it the first day lolMy last name starts with an early-in-the-alphabet letter and I got it last week!
I got mine today as well 🙂 It seems like it is based on alphabetic order.Mine is M and I got it the first day lol
So I work at Feinberg as a volunteer research assistant. Does this make me affiliated with Feinberg?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K