2025-2026 Northwestern

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know what the chances of getting in after deferral are next year? (Are our chances lower than those who interview in the second half of the cycle?)
I think they are low, we are likely poorly-ranked (otherwise we would've gotten an A), so inherently because of our weaker candidacy our chances are lower.
 
I think they are low, we are likely poorly-ranked (otherwise we would've gotten an A), so inherently because of our weaker candidacy our chances are lower.
In my interview day, they said they only accept a very small amount in December. I can't imagine they are going to send 200+ acceptances to those who interview later.
 
In my interview day, they said they only accept a very small amount in December. I can't imagine they are going to send 200+ acceptances to those who interview later.
They told me at my interview that they accept 10-15% in December and the rest in March. I'm not sure the numbers are adding up (seems like more than 15% to me based on rough calculations) but it could be true, in which case many acceptances still to come!
 
In my interview day, they said they only accept a very small amount in December. I can't imagine they are going to send 200+ acceptances to those who interview later.
Sure, they said the same thing in my interview. But, those who interview seem to be close to half of the total interview pool (just looking by eye at admit data), so while there will for sure be a decent number of people who get accepted post-deferral (as there are every year), their chances aren't as good as someone who hasn't been given any update post-interview. Regardless, all we can do is wait.
 
Could it mean 10-15% of their total acceptances for that cycle (332 total last year according to admit) are given out in December? Meaning about 34-49?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
are the faculty/student interviews closed or open file? i have so much trouble w closed ones so hoping not that ;-;
 
any advice for interview day? i'm so nervous and i feel like i'm going to find it hard to be on my game for multiple interviews in a row idk 🙁 also i have to get up at 6am and start at 6:45am which is going to suck as someone who does Not do mornings lol
 
any advice for interview day? i'm so nervous and i feel like i'm going to find it hard to be on my game for multiple interviews in a row idk 🙁 also i have to get up at 6am and start at 6:45am which is going to suck as someone who does Not do mornings lol
Even if you're not a morning person, you'll lock in for the interview. It goes really quick, and everyone there is super nice and excited to meet you. Just remember that they invited YOU for an interview, and they want to know more about you! Be chill and be yourself, like how you should be in all your interviews.
 
I wanted to pick everyone's brains here with some numbers. Admit.org shows that there were 332 A's last year, with a class size of 140. Yet, AAMC data shows there's only ~10 A's granted off the waitlists. Something is not adding up to me. My understanding is that many students will turn down the A from NW due to high cost, A's at other more preferable schools, etc. If that's true, how does the timing line up? Wouldn't it make sense for there to be more WL -> A as students withdraw apps from NW? Any insight is appreciated.
 
I wanted to pick everyone's brains here with some numbers. Admit.org shows that there were 332 A's last year, with a class size of 140. Yet, AAMC data shows there's only ~10 A's granted off the waitlists. Something is not adding up to me. My understanding is that many students will turn down the A from NW due to high cost, A's at other more preferable schools, etc. If that's true, how does the timing line up? Wouldn't it make sense for there to be more WL -> A as students withdraw apps from NW? Any insight is appreciated.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but mathematically this works out to them extending A's beyond anticipated yield to begin with, having 10 greater than expected A's withdrawal, then fill those 10 slots off WL
 
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but mathematically this works out to them extending A's beyond anticipated yield to begin with, having 10 greater than expected A's withdrawal, then fill those 10 slots off WL
Right, and I expected that, but accepting 332 - 10 (from waitlist) for a class of 140 seems extraordinarily high (to me). What would happen if they accept ~300 people and if for some reason, 200 of them want to commit to enroll?
 
Right, and I expected that, but accepting 332 - 10 (from waitlist) for a class of 140 seems extraordinarily high (to me). What would happen if they accept ~300 people and if for some reason, 200 of them want to commit to enroll?
It's not extraordinarily high. Feinberg has a yield rate of about 40%. WashU has 35%. In case of over-enrollment, they would either 1) try to defer people with scholarship offers, basically giving money to take another gap year (happened at UMiami) or 2) just over-enroll (happened at Hopkins). Pretty normal practice.
 
It's not extraordinarily high. Feinberg has a yield rate of about 40%. WashU has 35%. In case of over-enrollment, they would either 1) try to defer people with scholarship offers, basically giving money to take another gap year (happened at UMiami) or 2) just over-enroll (happened at Hopkins). Pretty normal practice.
Just curious how you know these numbers?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious how you know these numbers?
You look at the # acceptances given and then # enrolled class size.
So for example, 400 acceptances for 200 enrolled class size is APPROXIMATELY a 50% yield rate.
Adcoms has a rough estimation based on past numbers on roughly what percent of students choose their school.
That's why they send out more acceptances than class size available.


So for example, let's say at TAC school of medicine, my statistical average yield is about 33% and I have 100 seats.
Then I can give about 300 acceptances.
 
You look at the # acceptances given and then # enrolled class size.
So for example, 400 acceptances for 200 enrolled class size is APPROXIMATELY a 50% yield rate.
Adcoms has a rough estimation based on past numbers on roughly what percent of students choose their school.
That's why they send out more acceptances than class size available.


So for example, let's say at TAC school of medicine, my statistical average yield is about 33% and I have 100 seats.
Then I can give about 300 acceptances.
But where do you find the total # of acceptances given? I haven't been able to find those figures.
 
But where do you find the total # of acceptances given? I haven't been able to find those figures.
That's a good question. Idk where either. I think it comes from here:


If you scroll to #15, there's NU. Reported to have sent out about 332 acceptances last year.
 
That's a good question. Idk where either. I think it comes from here:


If you scroll to #15, there's NU. Reported to have sent out about 332 acceptances last year.
Yeah I saw those numbers on admit but wasn't sure how accurate they were. Couldn't find their sources.
 
Yeah I saw those numbers on admit but wasn't sure how accurate they were. Couldn't find their sources.
I think those are approximations as well.

So for example, we can look at self reported students. NU posts # of interviews given every cycle and their matriculating class size. They do not directly give the number of students who were given acceptances.

But we can look at the self reported applicants:
Let's say 50 people self report that they got an interview, and 25 of them say they got in on cycle track last year. Then, the post interview acceptance rate is roughly 50%.
And if they sent out 700 intedviews, then yiu can expect that roughly 350 of them got accepted with class size being about 150 students.

But to be honest, this is just my assumption on how cycletrack and admit.org calculates their numbers.
And the statistics imo mean little to nothing anyway. If you are a solid candidate, they will choose YOU regardless of whether the acceptance rate is 1% or 80%.
 
Anyone’s LOR writer get an email? Mine got this, they’re optimistic, but I’m pretty sure it’s soft launching a rejection.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3255.jpeg
    IMG_3255.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 613
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For what its worth I submitted two update letters with pubs before they gave me an interview. I submitted the first one as "Application Update (general)". The second one I submitted as "Pre-Interview Update or Continued Interest" and I added a small paragraph showing my interest in the school with a specific program
 
For what its worth I submitted two update letters with pubs before they gave me an interview. I submitted the first one as "Application Update (general)". The second one I submitted as "Pre-Interview Update or Continued Interest" and I added a small paragraph showing my interest in the school with a specific program
yupp im submitting my second update/interest letter this week!
 
For admitted applicants, has anyone applied for institutional financial aid? I saw somewhere that the deadline last year was 1/15 but all I've done is the FAFSA