2014-2015 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the secondary! :) soo excited to be applying here! (OOS, btw)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Do you know when UIC starts sending out II?

Members don't see this ad :)
My link has been working through yesterday afternoon but not today.

"Connection refused by messieruic.comd.uic.edu, please try again later."

Last edited:
My link has been working through yesterday afternoon but not today.

"Connection refused by messieruic.comd.uic.edu, please try again later."
I think the status page is up and working again. Mine says "awaiting admission officer letter review"
How long does that take?

I think the status page is up and working again. Mine says "awaiting admission officer letter review"
How long does that take?
I am an "applicant in progress." Is this where I'll be staying until I'm interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have "applicant in progress"

How do the two differ?
Applicant in Progress is when your application is complete including the secondary. Applicant in Process means that the admissions committee is reviewing your file and deciding on whether or not to invite you for an interview. I went from Progress to Process on 7/8

Reactions: 1 user
Just submitted the secondary :) now the wait begins...

On the secondary course requirement page, do they expect you to take labs with each required slot? 3 labs for behavioral science seems a bit excessive....

On the secondary course requirement page, do they expect you to take labs with each required slot? 3 labs for behavioral science seems a bit excessive....
I didn't know that there were such things as behavioral science labs? Do you mean like psychology and sociology? My guess would be no because my university doesn't offer labs for any type of behavioral/social science

Ruby 109, call the admissions office. There might be a problem with your letters. I had a difficulty that one of them did not have a correct letter head. I called, and they had to manually accept my letters of recommendation.

How long does that take?
Ruby 109, call the admissions office. There might be a problem with your letters. I had a difficulty that one of them did not have a correct letter head. I called, and they had to manually accept my letters of recommendation.

Reactions: 1 users
where do you see the status? All I see is: "Your Application has been successfully submitted. Your IPAY Transaction ID is: xxxxxxxx. Although you may still view your application, no further changes will be allowed."

where do you see the status? All I see is: "Your Application has been successfully submitted. Your IPAY Transaction ID is: xxxxxxxx. Although you may still view your application, no further changes will be allowed."
The link should be in the email before the one containing the secondary

I submitted the secondary on the 9th, and they have all my letters and everything, but it still says applicant in progress.

I submitted the secondary on the 9th, and they have all my letters and everything, but it still says applicant in progress.
I would be patient, it could be that they haven't gotten to your file yet

Do you think it's a bad idea to write about withdrawing from a course in college for the "when were you stressed out" portion of the secondary?

Do you think it's a bad idea to write about withdrawing from a course in college for the "when were you stressed out" portion of the secondary?
I would say go for it if you can demonstrate that you learned something.

Was wondering how late I am in the process if I'm still awaiting to submit my application to AMCAS? I'm waiting for two rec letters to be received as well, I don't want to submit the application if this one science professor forgot to write me the letter (i've emailed her and no reply twice now).

Also, my stats are on the lower end of applicants IS (3.5 cGPA 3.2sGPA, first MCAT 25, retaking in september). I have about 100+ hours of volunteer work at an outpatient pharmacy in a hospital (and growing), 50+ hours of volunteer work at my parish, 8 hours of volunteer work for Alliance of the Great Lakes, and 5 hours of shadowing an ophthalmologist (the dr. really liked me and seems to be offering me a technician job this week).

On the whole what do some of you think about my application at face value?
You don't need all of your letters of recommendation to be submitted before you submit AMCAS. It takes awhile to verify, so I would submit ASAP. The letters can still be submitted while your application is being processed.

Hey everyone, got a little bored tonight and found myself back on SDN. I'm an M2 (starting in a few weeks anyway) that just spent last year @ Urbana campus - so if anyone has any general questions or Urbana-related questions I'll try to get back to you. Good luck with everything, and I hope to see some of you interviewing!

I took your advice and called. Just a heads up to everyone, apparently they are downloading letters from applications submitted July 8 and earlier so if you are not complete yet, or have a status like "awaiting admissions officer letter review", don't fret.

Just want to make sure that everyone who has gotten a secondary has their MCAT scores in already? I took the MCAT July 12th and I just was confused as to whether UofI screens before sending the secondary or not

Just want to make sure that everyone who has gotten a secondary has their MCAT scores in already? I took the MCAT July 12th and I just was confused as to whether UofI screens before sending the secondary or not
They sent me the secondary invite two days after my MCAT score came in on July 8th. Verified in mid-June.

Hi, I was just wondering as I fill out the prerequisite courses whether this school allows the applicants to fulfill the requirements for intro biology courses with upper level bio courses (cell bio, developmental bio etc..)? None of other schools I applied to had their applicants give an upper level bio course as a separate requirement.. I already wrote up the secondary essays and I am now panicking.. :O

Hi, I was just wondering as I fill out the prerequisite courses whether this school allows the applicants to fulfill the requirements for intro biology courses with upper level bio courses (cell bio, developmental bio etc..)? None of other schools I applied to had their applicants give an upper level bio course as a separate requirement.. I already wrote up the secondary essays and I am now panicking.. :O
I think a lot of applicants have AP credit for bio, so if that's what you're talking about you should be fine :)

Can we submit more than the 3 faculty letters? Can we submit letters from volunteer, shadow and work? Is there a max on the letters? Thanks!

Submitted secondary on the 21st! Good luck everyone! :)

UIC is running late this year with IIs, I wonder when they will start giving us feedback

I submitted the secondary on the 9th, but it still says "applicant in progress"... does anyone else have a different status?

I submitted the secondary on the 9th, but it still says "applicant in progress"... does anyone else have a different status?
Nope, that's what I've got. Submitted on the 10th. I'm IS, too.

Just a quick heads up...

Don't copy+paste your essays if you have any punctuations other than periods or commas. My " and ' all turned into a weird symbol. I was going to go back and change them after I submitted my payment, but after you submit your payment, your secondary automatically submits. Hopefully it's not too big of a deal, but it makes one more reason for them to reject me for not reading directions lol.

Sighhhh

Just a quick heads up...

Don't copy+paste your essays if you have any punctuations other than periods or commas. My " and ' all turned into a weird symbol. I was going to go back and change them after I submitted my payment, but after you submit your payment, your secondary automatically submits. Hopefully it's not too big of a deal, but it makes one more reason for them to reject me for not reading directions lol.

Sighhhh

I had exactly the same thing happen to me. All my dashes are now question marks :(.... I really wish I didn't rush so much to submit this secondary because I would hate to have some weird symbols get in the way of getting into my top-choice school :eek: But like you said, hopefully it's not too big of a deal.

Sighhhh x2

I had exactly the same thing happen to me. All my dashes are now question marks :(.... I really wish I didn't rush so much to submit this secondary because I would hate to have some weird symbols get in the way of getting into my top-choice school :eek: But like you said, hopefully it's not too big of a deal.

Sighhhh x2

I emailed them last night, and they responded this morning!

I called 312-996-5636. The lady's name is Liz, and she is awesome. Reset my application, and I was able to fix the errors and re-submit. Just don't resubmit your payment.

Also, she said there's a maximum of 6 letters that they will accept.

Good luck!

This might be a silly question, but is the 'status page' the 'Supplemental Application Status' link on the left hand column? I don't see an In Progress or In Process or anything - just a checklist of what was completed when I submitted my secondary.

EDIT: just figured it out

How did you guys send more than 3 LOR? Can I send them after I've already submitted my secondary?