2014-2015 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
omg, what an absurd OOS tuition...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone receive a secondary recently? (Verified mid-last week, IS)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else get the recruitment email today?

"Current Status"
"Recommendation(s): 3 received from AMCAS, expecting a total of 3, awaiting Admissions Officer letter review-"

Hey has anyone had this as their status for about a week or more?

"Current Status"
"Recommendation(s): 3 received from AMCAS, expecting a total of 3, awaiting Admissions Officer letter review-"

yeah, I've had a status like this for more than 2 weeks or so

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I feel much better now that I'm not the only one :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope we get some II soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Mine still says "applicant in progress" even though they've had everything since the 9th :/
Anyone else in the same boat?

+4. I think this is normal...hopefully :)

"Current Status"

I would call the admissions office about this. I had a similar situation where my last letter had been in for a week but they just hadn't downloaded and verified it. When I called, someone looked through it while I was on the phone and then told me everything looked good and updated my status to "applicant in progress." Just call them seeking clarification and my sense is that they will update it right then and there!

+5. Returned secondary on 6/30, they've had my letters since 7/9, and mine still says applicant in progress. Is this a bad sign, or a sign of many many applicants? I find it hard to believe that it's essentially August, and they've got nothing on me.

+5. Returned secondary on 6/30, they've had my letters since 7/9, and mine still says applicant in progress. Is this a bad sign, or a sign of many many applicants? I find it hard to believe that it's essentially August, and they've got nothing on me.

This is status flow chart from a user named PlumBob from last year's thread (pg 2):
START

I. Submit Primary.

II. Wait for the email from UIC giving you your login information for the Applicant Status Check site (usually arrives within 2 weeks of submitting your primary): https://mercury.comd.uic.edu/appstat

III. Login, and check your status in the second page. [At the bottom of this post I link to a program I made that makes checking your status as easy as double clicking your mouse.]

---

A. "Application Not Complete" = Secondary not yet complete.

B. "Application in Process" = You are complete. --> Goto C. [perhaps this should read "Applicant in Progress"?]

C. "Applicant in Process" = Your file is being reviewed, 3 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Select Interview Date" = You are good enough for an interview. --> Goto D.
2. "Application in Process" = You are not good enough to grant an interview yet, but might be later on in the cycle. Check back periodically. --> Go back to B.
3. "Final Decision Made ..." = You are not good enough. --> Goto X.
D. "Select Interview Date" (A grid of dates shows up) = Call and schedule an interview date, after which "Interview Scheduled on ... " shows up. After the interview, Goto F.

F. "Decision Pending" = File pending review at the next adcom meeting (every 3rd Thursday of the month). There are 2 options from here, depending on the month:
1. Before May. --> Goto M.
2. On or After May. --> Goto N.

M. Before May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " --> Goto S.
2. "Decision Pending" (No Status Change) + "We'll keep reviewing you" Email (a few days later) = You are a good candidate, but not good enough to grant an acceptance yet. UIC will keep reviewing you at every adcom meeting. --> Go back to F.

N. On or After May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " You are (very likely) rejected. --> Goto X.
2. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. --> Goto Y.

S. There are 2 additional conditions from here:
1. There is an "Additional Correspondences" Tab in the upper-right corner on your status page AND you get a CBC Email (a few days later) = You are (very likely) accepted. --> Goto Z.
2. There is no "Additional Correspondences" Tab and/or you don't get the CBC Email = Rejection. [Note: This is tricky. The CBC email usually comes a few days after (1-4 is the consensus) the status change. Be patient. Sometimes, the email never comes, which might be because you already had a CBC done due to an acceptance at another school. In some instances, the CBC Email even comes after the snail-mail. If after a week, neither the tab nor the CBC email shows up, it's very likely a rejection. You've probably already received snail-mail by now alerting you to it.] --> Goto X.

X. "Final Decision Made ..." = Rejection ... Wait for a "Thin Letter" via snail-mail.

Y. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. ... The CBC Email no longer acts as an indicator of an acceptance. If you get accepted off of the waitlist, then Goto Z, else Goto X.

Z. "Final Decision Made ..." + "Additional Correspondences" Tab + CBC Email = (very likely) Acceptance ... Wait for a "Fat Packet" via snail-mail. (Note: Sometimes CBC emails come after the packet. CBC emails also might never arrive if you got an acceptance to another school that also does CBC through AMCAS.)

FINISH

I would call the admissions office about this. I had a similar situation where my last letter had been in for a week but they just hadn't downloaded and verified it. When I called, someone looked through it while I was on the phone and then told me everything looked good and updated my status to "applicant in progress." Just call them seeking clarification and my sense is that they will update it right then and there!
Thanks for the info just called and they sent my LOR through!

When are they sending Interview Invites? Seem like this year it's late compared to last.

Ok I called them and got the answer of "End August, or September" for Interview Invite. I don't know why some schools put off interviews this year while deadline for committment to one medical school has been shortened by 2 weeks (April 30th instead of May 15th). Does not make sense at all.

Ok I called them and got the answer of "End August, or September" for Interview Invite. I don't know why some schools put off interviews this year while deadline for committment to one medical school has been shortened by 2 weeks (April 30th instead of May 15th). Does not make sense at all.
Well...at least now we have an answer so we can stop anxiously awaiting for that "Inbox (1)" to show up soon :cool:

Well...at least now we have an answer so we can stop anxiously awaiting for that "Inbox (1)" to show up soon :cool:
For real! Waiting for IIs has been making me nervous as a cat and about as productive as one.

For real! Waiting for IIs has been making me nervous as a cat and about as productive as one.
haha I feel ya! I literally just count the hours until I know it's too late for them to send out IIs for that day. It's killing me slowly...

haha I feel ya! I literally just count the hours until I know it's too late for them to send out IIs for that day. It's killing me slowly...
I hate to burst your bubble, but supposedly some people were getting IIs from Jefferson at like 11:30PM. And someone else reported one from another school (forgot which) at 2:30PM on a Sunday. >.<

Is anyone else having trouble with the status screen? Mine just keeps loading and loading

Ooh! Mine now says "applicant in process." Finally! After a month, I started to think they'd forgotten about me :)

Hey all, I just checked my application status on the website (received an email from them about an hour ago) and all it says under the Recommendation Letters slots is "Current Status" in bold. that's it. under that, it says to contact them for further info.

Does anyone know if what it means or if they'll be sending out some more info on the secondary later?

This is my first post on SDN. any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

Hey all, I just checked my application status on the website (received an email from them about an hour ago) and all it says under the Recommendation Letters slots is "Current Status" in bold. that's it. under that, it says to contact them for further info.

Does anyone know if what it means or if they'll be sending out some more info on the secondary later?

This is my first post on SDN. any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

Have you completed the secondary application already?

Have you completed the secondary application already?

The email or the Applicant Status page doesn't say anything about the secondary. There's nothing in there that links me to a prompt or anything like that.

I just had a dream that I was in some scene from Game of Thrones and a pigeon brought me a rejection letter from here. This process is making me go crazy...

Reactions: 5 users
The email or the Applicant Status page doesn't say anything about the secondary. There's nothing in there that links me to a prompt or anything like that.

There are two seperate emails that they sent out (or at least that they sent to me). One is the check your status here link, and the other is a totally different link that links to the secondary. The site for the supplemental app is here: https://applications.comd.uic.edu/suppapp

Hope that helps

Also just got changed to applicant in process this morning.

Does anyone know what they do for reapplicants? I interviewed last year, and my app has only improved.

Also just got changed to applicant in process this morning.

Does anyone know what they do for reapplicants? I interviewed last year, and my app has only improved.
They review them like every other applicant.

What have people been doing for the optional third essay:

3. Optional: Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don't exceed 150 words) If you did not experience an advantage and/or complication during your education please indicate 'Not Applicable'

All the examples appear to be complications or disadvantages, not really advantages. Help or suggestions would be appreciated.

What have people been doing for the optional third essay:

3. Optional: Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don't exceed 150 words) If you did not experience an advantage and/or complication during your education please indicate 'Not Applicable'

All the examples appear to be complications or disadvantages, not really advantages. Help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I assumed it was a typo when I completed my application, and that they meant disadvantages. If that was actually the case I'm surprised they haven't fixed it yet. I ended up skipping it because I didn't have any significant educational obstacles. Good luck!

I assumed it was a typo when I completed my application, and that they meant disadvantages. If that was actually the case I'm surprised they haven't fixed it yet. I ended up skipping it because I didn't have any significant educational obstacles. Good luck!

Yea I thought so too but then they say achievements which really threw me for a loop because that cannot be a typo. I guess it's optional for a reason

Has anybody else been completed for over a month and still have "applicant in progress" as their status?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I sent mine 7/18 and it's still applicant in progress... :\

Does anyone else have difficulties getting a hold of anyone at this damn school? I got a call 2 weeks ago asking me to call back and, after calling every day for 2 weeks and leaving a bunch of messages, they're still not getting back to me. It's infuriating. Not to mention that the status page is still Applicant in Process. -_-

Does anyone else have difficulties getting a hold of anyone at this damn school? I got a call 2 weeks ago asking me to call back and, after calling every day for 2 weeks and leaving a bunch of messages, they're still not getting back to me. It's infuriating. Not to mention that the status page is still Applicant in Process. -_-
At least you're in process, I'm still in progress

Yeah, I called them in June about the behavioral/social sciences requirement and was told that it would be better to email my question. Three emails and two phone calls later, I finally got an answer-a week after I had already submitted the secondary.

Is anyone else having trouble with the status screen? Mine just keeps loading and loading

This is going to be a stupid question, but where exactly is the status screen that people are reading?

EDIT: Nvm, I found it. I should probably read my emails more.

Last edited:

Wow. So scroll up a bit to this post where it talks about statuses, and see where it says the next stage after "applicant in process" is an II. Then scroll down 3 posts to this post where the poster says, "Ok I called them and got the answer of 'End August, or September' for II". These two pieces of information mean that you can expect a status change at the end of August if you're lucky.

And I've never had trouble when calling them.