2014-2015 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, so this afternoon I was just accepted to the 4 year Urbana track!
I had been waiting since Jan, but finally got the call.
PM me if anyone has any questions.

Quartile: 1st
Acceptance: Yes
Parameters: Asian, male, in-state

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, for those that have recently received a phone call from Linda about an acceptance, would you mind sharing how the conversation went? Did she ask you to decide on the spot, give you some option, etc?

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, for those that have recently received a phone call from Linda about an acceptance, would you mind sharing how the conversation went? Did she ask you to decide on the spot, give you some option, etc?

Cheers
I had a choice of the Peoria or Urbana-Champaign campus. She gave me about 2 hours to decide :)

I recently got off the waitlist and am looking for roommate(s) and housing in Urbana-Champaign. Do any of you know if there is a fb page to coordinate this? (Sorry if this has already been answered)

Has anyone looked into registration yet? When I go to registration eligibility I see this (see attachment):

Anyone else see this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 96
I am not so sure about that SubwayMonster since I think UPR students have their classes registered by the admins (I assume you're in the Chicago track). But hopefully someone can answer my question.

What is this Active Directory password? I apparently need it to access some parts of UIC. I have the Enterprise ID and my NetID password but neither work. I tried to register for an (AD) password but I require an AD password to make one...It didn't make sense to me so I gave up.

Dear Friends:

Some updates!

So, I was put in this SPP (Summer Pre-matriculation Program), which was a condition to keep my seat. I don't know why they put me in the program (it could be that I have been out of of school for five years) and they wanted me to prove myself. I did do the program and it was awesome! You just get exposed to a toned down version of M1 and you have two exams every Monday. It was grueling but I learned a ton and more importantly learned how to discipline myself (i.e. sit for hours in one place and forget about the world!). Have not taken anatomy and biochem and those are my best performances. Anyways, I just wanted to say that you Chicago people are lucky! We had our classes in those shiny buildings and I just loved all the study spaces, the high tech classrooms and everything was seamlessly intertwined. I am Urbana-Rockford track and I hope it is as exciting as Chicago. Chicago is not just about the beautiful campus, it is the ethnic food and other amenities that are so enticing!

Above all, I found UIC at Chicago to be very innovative and the school really is AWESOME! Yes, it is the only MD school that accepted me but in objectivity, everything I saw in Chicago was all I wanted from a med school---cool professors who respond instantly to really engaging student body, I am really impressed by this school. Really smart and diverse student body is what I found unique. Med school is tough not because of the info (the info part is easy) but it is hard because of the volume of info and the limited amount of time. Some compare it to drinking from a fire hose. This analogy is partly true. But if one has good time management and is willing to try new approaches, everything becomes more manageable. And from what I gathered from the M1s that were lurking around, the first semester was really hard---that is where you get the shock and awe if you will. But it gets better even starting second semester!

But as long as you are willing to adjust and adapt, you will learn to love the process. Some classes will make you scream (well if they do not you are not trying hard lol!). Others are so easy, you will fly through. But, don't be afraid to change your style of learning if necessary. I never had to use flashcards in college but it saved me with anatomy! Still trying to figure out Anki but I used old fashioned flashcard and it worked wonders. Just know that what works for biochem might not work for anatomy. For example, I thought I could pass anatomy lab by studying lab notes and going to lab/cadavers only when it is required! What a dumb move! Got spanked. I then decided to camp out and spend more time with cadavers and that helped me ace both the MCQ and lab part of the exam. For anatomy, get to know your cadavers and make them your ultimate friends! They can help you a lot. For other classes, it is a trial and error thing and everyone has different style of learning. Keep your cool and adjust as courses demand. Books like BRS and First Aid will be used by some people even during first year. Just talk to your friends and they can share that info with you too.

One last advice: people will be talking about a concept called "high yield" and get to know what it is. Finally, I learned that the most effective way to learn some of the stuff is to just to go office hour and ask for feedback when getting stuck---something I never did in college but extremely helpful in med school. Also, you will use online blackboard for instruction. Make sure you follow all the postings (especially the ones that come from TAs, it is easy to miss but they contain key information for exams). Finally, enjoy the ride and I wish all of you the best of luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, another 'waitlistee' here. So I got a phone call early this week from Linda Singleton asking me whether I'm still interested in attending UIC. She told me I'm at the "top of the list" and that my name would likely come up during an adcom meeting this week. Well, it's already almost the end of the week and there has been radio silence since then.

That's fine, except that my AMCAS has just been verified and I'm sitting here waiting to pull the trigger on nearly $1k worth of primaries. If I submit them and fork over all this money I'm going to be kicking myself if I get an acceptance offer from UIC in the near future. But if I hold off, I'm sabotaging my chances for the reapplication cycle by delaying my apps. I feel like UIC is doing this to me right now: :poke:

Do you guys think I should just bite the bullet and submit my apps?

Hi guys, another 'waitlistee' here. So I got a phone call early this week from Linda Singleton asking me whether I'm still interested in attending UIC. She told me I'm at the "top of the list" and that my name would likely come up during an adcom meeting this week. Well, it's already almost the end of the week and there has been radio silence since then.

That's fine, except that my AMCAS has just been verified and I'm sitting here waiting to pull the trigger on nearly $1k worth of primaries. If I submit them and fork over all this money I'm going to be kicking myself if I get an acceptance offer from UIC in the near future. But if I hold off, I'm sabotaging my chances for the reapplication cycle by delaying my apps. I feel like UIC is doing this to me right now: :poke:

Do you guys think I should just bite the bullet and submit my apps?

Are you referring to submitting your primary app or secondaries? If you're waiting on the primary, you can be verified by only selecting one school. Choose UIC on your primary, pay the $100 or whatever it is, and then you'll have a few weeks of verification time to hope that UIC gets back to you. That way you're not losing so much money if you withdraw. If for whatever reason UIC does not get back to you (though, it seems likely--congrats on that phone call!), you can always add in the rest of your schools later and pay for them once your app is verified.

Are you referring to submitting your primary app or secondaries? If you're waiting on the primary, you can be verified by only selecting one school. Choose UIC on your primary, pay the $100 or whatever it is, and then you'll have a few weeks of verification time to hope that UIC gets back to you. That way you're not losing so much money if you withdraw. If for whatever reason UIC does not get back to you (though, it seems likely--congrats on that phone call!), you can always add in the rest of your schools later and pay for them once your app is verified.

Well that's the thing, I had already submitted my primary with one school listed a few weeks ago, so yesterday my app was verified. Now it's time to add those 30+ other schools (gonna leave it all on the court this cycle lol) so I can get my secondaries and complete them as quickly as possible. Every day I delay this, I am lessening my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
@anononononymous, gotcha. Yeah, that is a much more annoying problem! If I were you, I would give it one more week, and if UIC still hasn't gotten back to you, then don't leave anything to chance and just get those secondaries in. Fortunately, at this early point in the cycle, one week difference is definitely not going to negatively affect your application.

Again, congratulations on being on the cusp of acceptance at UIC! Hoping it works out for you :luck:

Last edited:
Well that's the thing, I had already submitted my primary with one school listed a few weeks ago, so yesterday my app was verified. Now it's time to add those 30+ other schools (gonna leave it all on the court this cycle lol) so I can get my secondaries and complete them as quickly as possible. Every day I delay this, I am lessening my chances.

You can always pre write the secondaries and send them immediately if you don't get accepted. That should save some time

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I guess pre-writing the secondaries, or at least staggering them so that I only submit a batch once I am close to being finished with the previous batch rather than submitting all 30 at once is the way to go. Anyone know roughly how long is takes b/w adding a school to my primary and receiving a secondary from that school? (I know it varies by school but in general)

Tbh, I'm pretty pissed at UIC for leaving me hanging like this. I was 100% energized waiting for my AMCAS to get verified so I could get this massive effort of submitting and filling out 30 secondaries underway, but now I'm left in a state of limbo. That laser focus has been replaced with a dithering hope that I'll just get accepted now and not have to proceed with the reapplication process, sapping my motivation to put 100% into the process. Yeah, I know I'm bitching.

Are there any current students in the 4 year Urbana track that could talk about their experiences? I would like to know how the curriculum works with so few students on campus after the first year. Also is anyone looking for housing/roommates? I've tried joining the facebook group but have been pending for awhile.

For anyone here who is still waitlisted and is planning to reapply to UIC this cycle, have you already sent in your app to UIC or are you going to wait to do so until the waitlist process is officially complete?

For anyone here who is still waitlisted and is planning to reapply to UIC this cycle, have you already sent in your app to UIC or are you going to wait to do so until the waitlist process is officially complete?

Not waiting here. Just going ahead to resubmit in the hopes they see my interest. What are most doing?

I submitted mine. They called me last week asking if I'm still interested and making it sound like I was on the cusp of getting offered an acceptance, but haven't heard a peep since. It'd be ironic if I went from oh-so-close to an acceptance last cycle and didn't even get an II this time around lol. Knowing my luck, that's exactly what will happen, but hey, you don't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

anyone who interviewed for GMED mind sharing some of the interview questions? thnaks

Dear Friends:

Some updates!

So, I was put in this SPP (Summer Pre-matriculation Program), which was a condition to keep my seat. I don't know why they put me in the program (it could be that I have been out of of school for five years) and they wanted me to prove myself. I did do the program and it was awesome! You just get exposed to a toned down version of M1 and you have two exams every Monday. It was grueling but I learned a ton and more importantly learned how to discipline myself (i.e. sit for hours in one place and forget about the world!). Have not taken anatomy and biochem and those are my best performances. Anyways, I just wanted to say that you Chicago people are lucky! We had our classes in those shiny buildings and I just loved all the study spaces, the high tech classrooms and everything was seamlessly intertwined. I am Urbana-Rockford track and I hope it is as exciting as Chicago. Chicago is not just about the beautiful campus, it is the ethnic food and other amenities that are so enticing!

Above all, I found UIC at Chicago to be very innovative and the school really is AWESOME! Yes, it is the only MD school that accepted me but in objectivity, everything I saw in Chicago was all I wanted from a med school---cool professors who respond instantly to really engaging student body, I am really impressed by this school. Really smart and diverse student body is what I found unique. Med school is tough not because of the info (the info part is easy) but it is hard because of the volume of info and the limited amount of time. Some compare it to drinking from a fire hose. This analogy is partly true. But if one has good time management and is willing to try new approaches, everything becomes more manageable. And from what I gathered from the M1s that were lurking around, the first semester was really hard---that is where you get the shock and awe if you will. But it gets better even starting second semester!

But as long as you are willing to adjust and adapt, you will learn to love the process. Some classes will make you scream (well if they do not you are not trying hard lol!). Others are so easy, you will fly through. But, don't be afraid to change your style of learning if necessary. I never had to use flashcards in college but it saved me with anatomy! Still trying to figure out Anki but I used old fashioned flashcard and it worked wonders. Just know that what works for biochem might not work for anatomy. For example, I thought I could pass anatomy lab by studying lab notes and going to lab/cadavers only when it is required! What a dumb move! Got spanked. I then decided to camp out and spend more time with cadavers and that helped me ace both the MCQ and lab part of the exam. For anatomy, get to know your cadavers and make them your ultimate friends! They can help you a lot. For other classes, it is a trial and error thing and everyone has different style of learning. Keep your cool and adjust as courses demand. Books like BRS and First Aid will be used by some people even during first year. Just talk to your friends and they can share that info with you too.

One last advice: people will be talking about a concept called "high yield" and get to know what it is. Finally, I learned that the most effective way to learn some of the stuff is to just to go office hour and ask for feedback when getting stuck---something I never did in college but extremely helpful in med school. Also, you will use online blackboard for instruction. Make sure you follow all the postings (especially the ones that come from TAs, it is easy to miss but they contain key information for exams). Finally, enjoy the ride and I wish all of you the best of luck!!!

Hi! I just got accepted into this med school and I have also been placed in the summer program. I'm not worried about the material too much because I did well in all these classes in college but I'm worried that even if I pass with a minimum they will not grant me acceptance. Is this the case in your experience? I have been accepted at another med school and I'm worried that if I pick Chicago before April 30th and don't get in I will lose my option for enrollment at the other school. Any Info will be appreciated!!

Hi! I just got accepted into this med school and I have also been placed in the summer program. I'm not worried about the material too much because I did well in all these classes in college but I'm worried that even if I pass with a minimum they will not grant me acceptance. Is this the case in your experience? I have been accepted at another med school and I'm worried that if I pick Chicago before April 30th and don't get in I will lose my option for enrollment at the other school. Any Info will be appreciated!!

Sorry to bombard you with responses!

As long as you reach the overall MPL in SPP you will be fine. This is the same case for the current curriculum. We are Pass/Fail so even if you are at MPL in a class, you pass.

Sorry to bombard you with responses!

As long as you reach the overall MPL in SPP you will be fine. This is the same case for the current curriculum. We are Pass/Fail so even if you are at MPL in a class, you pass.

Thank you! I also asked Yolanda and she said all I need to do was pass with the minimum and that my seat would be guaranteed.