-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 University of Massachusetts Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I mean... second reviews could mean that they are looking at the people they haven't waitlisted yet again.. and deciding if they want to waitlist them.. and then also looking at those who are waitlisted to see if they should be accepted. Let's be honest. We will never know the order in which they do their decisions!Second reviews? So have they already reviewed/contacted all the people they plan waitlisting/accepting? Hope not!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Silence still. Just going to leave this here: 🙁
Haha same here. I think I'm going to consider this one a That's-All-She-Wrote for me. Would have really loved to come here! I hope that the rest of you guys are still keeping some faith though! I'm tapping out 😛Silence still. Just going to leave this here: 🙁
Stay positive! It's all you can do at this point.Silence still. Just going to leave this here: 🙁
@meemswantstobeadoc I love and envy your positivity! 😛
I wrote an email to them to ask if the WL was ranked, and it's not. I believe they re-review applicants as spaces open up in order to pull from the waitlist.
Somewhere in my researching UMMS I read that a high percentage of students do a fifth year here... can anyone speak to the accuracy/nature of that?
There have been an increasing number of students that opt to do an extended fourth year (a fifth year, really). Generally, these are students who intend to go into more competitive specialties (derm, ortho, etc.) and take the extra year to buff up their CV, usually with research.
There have been an increasing number of students that opt to do an extended fourth year (a fifth year, really). Generally, these are students who intend to go into more competitive specialties (derm, ortho, etc.) and take the extra year to buff up their CV, usually with research.
do you pay tuition for that extra fifth year?
do you pay tuition for that extra fifth year?
I believe so, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I would find it unusual (in a good way) if they didn't charge tuition for the year, though.
Honestly, shocked that I still haven't heard anything since October. They just need to tell us something. This is extremely unprofessional.
I was accepted off the wait list today. I interviewed March 10th and then wait listed 2 weeks later.I wonder if anyone's been accepted off the waitlist yet. I heard from a med student on Saturday that there should be movement soon as they are meeting to do second reviews on applicants.
I was accepted off the wait list today. I interviewed March 10th and then wait listed 2 weeks later.
Awww sheeeetttt
Hurrr we go!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone been rejected yet? (too lazy to look through this thread) I find it incredibly odd that people are being accepted off the wait list before others have heard anything.......
Has anyone been rejected yet? (too lazy to look through this thread) I find it incredibly odd that people are being accepted off the wait list before others have heard anything.......
No one has posted about a rejection, so I doubt they have. Seems like they are waiting to the last possible minute (aka April 30th) to reject people, which is a little rude.
At this point I'm hoping to even be wait listed to UMASS, it's my third time applying there 😵
I was waitlisted today and interviewed on March 5th. I think its the best I could hope for at this point so fingers crossed that the list has some movement!
@Arusers @Chromey @climber0592 What time do you guys get the email? Still nothing here :/
Mine came at 10:27am. Hope that helps!@Arusers @Chromey @climber0592 What time do you guys get the email? Still nothing here :/
@Arusers @Chromey @climber0592 What time do you guys get the email? Still nothing here :/
Mine came at 10:22am
Mine came at 10:22am
Thanks! Maybe they aren't done for the day and I can get something (WL or RJ) from them
Same for me, around 1030a@Arusers @Chromey @climber0592 What time do you guys get the email? Still nothing here :/
I interviewed in September and have heard nothing since... so I'm right there with you @flourpower3 ! I've kinda given up hope for Umass at this point since people have already been getting off the waitlist. Umass's lack of communication has made me quite salty about this school. Definitely the worst admissions committee I've had to deal with so far in this cycle.
I believe so, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I would find it unusual (in a good way) if they didn't charge tuition for the year, though.
Depends on what you're doing that fifth year. I'd find it a bit strange to have to pay tuition if I'm taking a research year. Student fees? Sure. Tuition... for what exactly?
I interviewed in September and have heard nothing since... so I'm right there with you @flourpower3 ! I've kinda given up hope for Umass at this point since people have already been getting off the waitlist. Umass's lack of communication has made me quite salty about this school. Definitely the worst admissions committee I've had to deal with so far in this cycle.
Completely agree with you here! GREAT school, Abominable admissions. I also have given up, but I just need closure with some communication from a school I interviewed with in the Fall!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected at 1:48 PM. Ah well, another thread to unfollow. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear 🙂
Finally rejected at 2:30 pm. Pretty happy honestly. Good luck to everyone!
So sorry to hear that @flourpower3 and @atalantamedicus, I'm sure a lot of us have the same news on the way.Finally rejected at 2:30 pm. Pretty happy honestly. Good luck to everyone!
Has anyone gotten any good news today or does this mean only rejections are left?
Depends on what you're doing that fifth year. I'd find it a bit strange to have to pay tuition if I'm taking a research year. Student fees? Sure. Tuition... for what exactly?
I assume there is some form of education occurring during that fifth year. I don't think it's just you running a lab. They might also have you do some clinical rotations during that year so you don't show up completely rusty. It might be set up similar to what the MD/PhDs have where their research years have 2 or 3 clinical rotations mixed in so that your clinical skills don't completely dry up.
I assume there is some form of education occurring during that fifth year. I don't think it's just you running a lab. They might also have you do some clinical rotations during that year so you don't show up completely rusty. It might be set up similar to what the MD/PhDs have where their research years have 2 or 3 clinical rotations mixed in so that your clinical skills don't completely dry up.
Usually one takes a research year between 2nd and 3rd year.
Rejected... again.
Interviewed March 5th. I'm excited about where I'm going though!
Interviewed March 5th. I'm excited about where I'm going though!
Sorry to hear this! Im glad you have plans elsewhere and are excited about them. Congratulations! I was wondering what time you received the email?Rejected... again.
Interviewed March 5th. I'm excited about where I'm going though!
Sorry to hear this! Im glad you have plans elsewhere and are excited about them. Congratulations! I was wondering what time you received the email?
Thanks! I got the email at 2:32 this afternoon.
Usually one takes a research year between 2nd and 3rd year.
I guess. It's not something I've heard of being common here outside of getting a grad degree like an MPH, but I'm sure it'd be easily negotiable and feasible with a concrete plan in place.
Yay! I was accepted on 4/22 off the waitlist as well! There is definitely movement off the waitlist right now. I interviewed Feb 18th. Wait listed 4/7. Accepted 4/22. Good luck everyone else!I was accepted off the wait list today. I interviewed March 10th and then wait listed 2 weeks later.
rejected just now. oh darn. best of luck to those on the waitlist!
Also rejected, Good luck everyone!
I guess. It's not something I've heard of being common here outside of getting a grad degree like an MPH, but I'm sure it'd be easily negotiable and feasible with a concrete plan in place.
People do so for a grad degree, sure, but also if they've decided to match into something competitive (optho, plastics, derm, ent, ortho, etc). People use the time to work on publishing what they've been doing for MS 1 and 2, and go from there. For many of those fields, it's much harder to check the right boxes unless you start working from pretty early on.
Edit: Just talked to a med student. They often do it between 3rd and 4th year as well.
Last edited:
Just got accepted off the waitlist!!!
Now to see what their aid looks like. Hopefully they'll be fast about that so I can move forward with a decision asap.
Now to see what their aid looks like. Hopefully they'll be fast about that so I can move forward with a decision asap.
Accepted off the waitlist at 5pm! First acceptance of the cycle 

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any current students available to answer questions? Or users here as well.
I'm waiting for my aid package from Umass but am holding an acceptance at Jeff. I know I'm leaning towards Jefferson, but that's mostly because I have no concept of what the social scene etc at umass is like and Philly sounds like it'd be a better place to spend 4 years.
I currently live and work in Boston.
I'm waiting for my aid package from Umass but am holding an acceptance at Jeff. I know I'm leaning towards Jefferson, but that's mostly because I have no concept of what the social scene etc at umass is like and Philly sounds like it'd be a better place to spend 4 years.
I currently live and work in Boston.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K