2014-2015 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To those who went to second look: Would you please share some of the awesomeness from that day with the poor unfortunate souls like me who were unable to go??
Biggest takeaways, any surprises (dare I say negatives?) or any other info from the day would be greatly appreciated.
It will be great to hear your perspectives!
We had to option of choosing different break out sessions so each student's experience will be different. My highlights:

Learning more about independent inquiry experiences: RUOP, MSRTP, ect. Opportunities for research are broad and plentiful. Travel, lodging and a generous stipends are included in the programs.

Dr. Murry's lab: super cool. Watching synthesized cardiac cells self organize and beat was amazing. UW is a place with world class facilities and bleeding edge research.

Misc: Great overview of the curriculum, many opportunities to interact with students, faculty and classmates. The panel at the end gave inspiring heartfelt testimonials. Second look erased any doubts about the program and cemented for choice for UW.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my preference through the portal but I haven't received any email. What is this email you speak of?
Same, I submitted my preference through portal, haven't heard a word.
Not sure if there will some movement entering April! finger crossed.
 
I too submitted my preference via the portal but still got this email. Hope its a good sign?
I sure hope so! What's in the email and what's your ranking (if you wish to disclose)?
I'm #7. I know my number will come soon enough, but MAN it seems to be taking FOREVER 🙂
 
Is it too soon to freak out about no list movement? I'm hoping I can get some peace of mind... :/
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it too soon to freak out about no list movement? I'm #8, hoping I can get some peace of mind... :/
I think it's ok! Could be taking a little longer than usual for a lot of reasons other than fewer people coming off this year 🙂 . Also I think I might be next in line so I'll post here whenever I hear word - probably would mean a couple more would be coming off soon after!
 
I think it's funny how the "wait" is killing all the people <10 on the alternate list... Try being in the thirties or forties! Haha!
 
Is anyone getting a little freaked out about the lack of movement from the waitlist? This time last year it looks like they had already made it to #10 for the WA/OOR alternate list. I'm in the low 20's and I was pretty confident I would be hearing back in mid-May, but now I'm not so sure...
 
Two of my friends turned down their acceptances for other schools last week so i think UW is just taking their time with the waitlist movement
 
holy-grail-enchanter.jpg
 
Idaho moved on to alternate #6... Maybe WA/OOR will move soon too *refreshes page continually and gets nothing done at work*

Idaho's waitlist moved by five people recently b/c the state increased the budget by five seats and it was just signed into law. Hopefully we'll see movement from all regions throughout this month. The facebook group still only has around 90 people for the entire E15 class thus far (not everyone has a facebook, of course..)
 
Not sure if this slow WL movement is UW-specific or not, but the other waitlist that I am on is also abnormally slower compared with previous years.....But yeah... this is torturing... especially that this time last year they have made to #10 for WA/OOR.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker on here and fellow alternate listee. You all are making me more anxious than the list movement is! This morning I spoke with someone at the admissions office and asked if they expected this year to be any different than years past in terms of list movement. She immediately (and quite nicely) said there was no reason to worry. She suspects that due to the increased number of applications this year per applicant people are holding off making decisions a bit longer. This is especially true given financial aid decisions. Expect movement in the second half of April. To calm your fears regarding them being slow she assured me that as soon as a letter is sent out to one of us she makes a priority to update the status. That being said, everyone needs to breathe. Block the ticker website if you need to. Go outside. Eat a pop cicle. Enjoy spring!
 
Is April 30th the last day to hold acceptance offers or waitlist options from more than one school? The waitlist should start moving by then?
 
Yep it is, so hopefully that will help it to move along. I don't know about anyone else but I'm really beginning to hate the number 2

it's starting to move again! Just got the call from my EXCOM member this morning so hopefully a bunch more will be coming out soon! So excited that I forgot to ask when people from the alternate list would be hearing about site placement but hopefully that information will be included in the official email coming later today. Really hope everyone hears good news as soon as possible!
 
it's starting to move again! Just got the call from my EXCOM member this morning so hopefully a bunch more will be coming out soon! So excited that I forgot to ask when people from the alternate list would be hearing about site placement but hopefully that information will be included in the official email coming later today. Really hope everyone hears good news as soon as possible!

What number were you on the waitlist?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yesss! #7 is off the list! My EXCOM called around 2:00. I will be getting the official email tomorrow. So excited! Good luck to those who remain in wait.
Congrats! How soon after your acceptance did you get your site placement?
 
Congrats! How soon after your acceptance did you get your site placement?
I received the phone call on the 22nd, and my official email acceptance on the 23rd. I got my site placement on the 23rd by email as well.