2014-2015 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Current MS2 here. If you check out last year's thread you will see that I frequently reply to questions and offer my advice. Everything you could probably ask has already been discussed in the previous years' threads but don't feel like that should stop you from posting here.

I normally check this at least once a week but feel free to type @BABSstudent and I will get a notification to check the thread. But if I have tests or am busy with school, the responses may be a bit delayed until I decide to procrastinate.

Final thing: if you contact the admissions office, make sure to post your question and their answer here so they don't keep getting asked the same questions. It makes their life easier and you may be interacting with them a lot in the upcoming years, so don't make them angry!

Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 4 users
@BABSstudent thank you so much for all your advice! I've been reading last years forum and you are super helpful :)
I was wondering if you had any idea when UW starts sending out Secondaries for IS students?
Also, what is the process for confirming residency and how long does it take?

Thanks for your help!! It's my dream school and I'm so excited to be applying!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Current MS2 here. If you check out last year's thread you will see that I frequently reply to questions and offer my advice. Everything you could probably ask has already been discussed in the previous years' threads but don't feel like that should stop you from posting here.

I normally check this at least once a week but feel free to type @BABSstudent and I will get a notification to check the thread. But if I have tests or am busy with school, the responses may be a bit delayed until I decide to procrastinate.

Final thing: if you contact the admissions office, make sure to post your question and their answer here so they don't keep getting asked the same questions. It makes their life easier and you may be interacting with them a lot in the upcoming years, so don't make them angry!

Good luck everybody!
Hey @BABSstudent how long do they wait to send secondaries to OOS students? Also in MSAR it looked like the % of OOS has risen for UW. Is that the really the case? Hope to get some OOS love!

Reactions: 1 users
These questions aren't directed toward me, but I'll answer what I can :)

I was wondering if you had any idea when UW starts sending out Secondaries for IS students?
!

I believe MSAR says they send out secondaries beginning mid-july :) Not sure about confirming residency though..

Hey @BABSstudent how long do they wait to send secondaries to OOS students? Also in MSAR it looked like the % of OOS has risen for UW. Is that the really the case? Hope to get some OOS love!

not sure about when they send applications out to OOS students, but I know UW is extremely selective with almost all of their OOS student acceptances coming from those in the WWAMI region.
Not sure if this helps but in their FAQ (http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/faqs) they state the following:

If I am an out of state applicant, what can I do to be competitive?
Apart from applicants having the academic qualifications, successful applicants from outside the WWAMI region either come from a disadvantaged background and/or have demonstrated a strong commitment and service to the underserved populations.

@BABSstudent thank you so much for all your advice! I've been reading last years forum and you are super helpful :)

Thanks for your help!! It's my dream school and I'm so excited to be applying!!!

I received the secondary in early July when I applied. It was like July 5th. I got lucky and didnt have to do the residency confirmation. I don't know why, but I didnt have to. Other people from Washington did but I didn't. It was weird.

I don't know if they are going to change the application this year, but it's been the same for the last few years. I would just go under the assumption that nothing will change (but I could be wrong) and just use the previous prompts.

Here are the previous prompts so you don't have to go searching for them:
  1. An autobiographical statement which should include:
    • the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician
    • your prior experiences in health care
    • steps taken to explore a career in medicine
    • your eventual goals as a physician
    • and other issues of importance
    The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your secondary materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office.
  2. 3 additional short essays (250 word limit each)
    • How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
    • What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?
    • What obstacles to your goals have you experienced and how have you dealt with them?
    For re-applicants: From your most recent application until now, how have you strengthened your application?
Edit: updated to reflect the new prompt. The question about overlapping your personal and professional life seems to have been changed to how you will enrich the class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  1. An autobiographical statement which should include:
    • the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician
    • your prior experiences in health care
    • steps taken to explore a career in medicine
    • your eventual goals as a physician
    • and other issues of importance
    The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your secondary materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office.
  2. 3 additional short essays (250 word limit each)
    • How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
    • How do you imagine your personal and professional lives intersecting 10 years from now?
    • What obstacles to your goals have you experienced and how have you dealt with them?
    For re-applicants: From your most recent application until now, how have you strengthened your application?

This is on the website right now, so I hope that means it will be the same!

Would you say most applicants submit an autobiographical statement in addition to their PS? It seems that UW is not too interested in the parts of your life that are not relevant to your interest in medicine (unlike some other schools' autobiography prompt).

Thank you!

I just saw the required hours of shadowing :( I have 24 hours. I liked shadowing but was told there was a diminishing return after a while and to seek out patient contact experience over just shadowing. I know for most schools 24 hours is fine, but bummer I didn't see that for UW

This is on the website right now, so I hope that means it will be the same!

Would you say most applicants submit an autobiographical statement in addition to their PS? It seems that UW is not too interested in the parts of your life that are not relevant to your interest in medicine (unlike some other schools' autobiography prompt).

Thank you!
Not everyone's personal statement perfectly lines up with their prompt so some people have more to write about. If you feel like you absolutely cannot come up with something new to write about, don't fret. Take a few more days to try to figure something out. UW doesn't do online payments for the secondary fee so you have the whole snail mail and processing time to finish up stuff. That means write, read and then rewrite!

I just saw the required hours of shadowing :( I have 24 hours. I liked shadowing but was told there was a diminishing return after a while and to seek out patient contact experience over just shadowing. I know for most schools 24 hours is fine, but bummer I didn't see that for UW

I don't think its a requirement, more like a reccomendation. I believe they want to see that you understand working with a patient and have gained valuable information. I don't think they'll just cross you off as long as you show through your PS or secondaries that you have learned a lot from it! If you are concerned, call them! They arevery friendly and extremely helpful.

I don't think its a requirement, more like a reccomendation. I believe they want to see that you understand working with a patient and have gained valuable information. I don't think they'll just cross you off as long as you show through your PS or secondaries that you have learned a lot from it! If you are concerned, call them! They arevery friendly and extremely helpful.
Good to know! I'll call them then!

I've read through the past year's forums a fair amount and feel this is still a question that needs addressing.
I'm a reluctant OOSer. I've lived in Montana for years (went to undergrad and stuck around for a year and a half), have a drivers license from there, and would love to ultimately live and work there. However, I am originally from Chicago and have moved from MT to NYC for the time being. MT has a 2 year full time employee requirement for graduate school residency status so I'm now stateless.
My stats are MCAT 29 and GPA 3.5 I have a fairly good set of ECs with medical exposure, research, plenty of hobbies (some MT specific) and work experience.
I want to keep my options open for specialty etc. (I'm therefore debating whether to apply to DO) but at this point I want to go into family medicine and practice in MT where I have strong relationships and ties to the mountains and culture.
I'm planning to apply to UW. But would you in my shoes? I feel I might be out gunned due to my MCAT and technically-OOS status.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read through the past year's forums a fair amount and feel this is still a question that needs addressing.
I'm a reluctant OOSer. I've lived in Montana for years (went to undergrad and stuck around for a year and a half), have a drivers license from there, and would love to ultimately live and work there. However, I am originally from Chicago and have moved from MT to NYC for the time being. MT has a 2 year full time employee requirement for graduate school residency status so I'm now stateless.
My stats are MCAT 29 and GPA 3.5 I have a fairly good set of ECs with medical exposure, research, plenty of hobbies (some MT specific) and work experience.
I want to keep my options open for specialty etc. (I'm therefore debating whether to apply to DO) but at this point I want to go into family medicine and practice in MT where I have strong relationships and ties to the mountains and culture.
I'm planning to apply to UW. But would you in my shoes? I feel I might be out gunned due to my MCAT and technically-OOS status.

Apply. Given your background and interests, you seem like a good fit.

Trying to pre-write the secondary but really struggling with the second prompt:
  • How do you imagine your personal and professional lives intersecting 10 years from now?
anyone have any advice?

:(

Trying to pre-write the secondary but really struggling with the second prompt:
anyone have any advice?

:(

This was definitely the most difficult prompt for me to answer too

I thought through this question by considering... what gives me balance and has allowed me to not get "burnt" out so far that will still be applicable in the long term (hobbies, family, etc). & how will I incorporate that into my life as a physician or how does that support my practice as a physician. I'm thinking of it as an opportunity to express that I have thought about the long game and do consider that becoming a physician is compatible with my longterm professional/personal goals.

but that is just how I'm approaching it. I'm sure @BABSstudent could probably give better insight.

This was definitely the most difficult prompt for me to answer too

I thought through this question by considering... what gives me balance and has allowed me to not get "burnt" out so far that will still be applicable in the long term (hobbies, family, etc). & how will I incorporate that into my life as a physician or how does that support my practice as a physician. I'm thinking of it as an opportunity to express that I have thought about the long game and do consider that becoming a physician is compatible with my longterm professional/personal goals.

but that is just how I'm approaching it. I'm sure @BABSstudent could probably give better insight.
Well, it looks like they finally changed the secondary essays. I will update my original post with the new prompt for the additional short essays. Luckily, it only seems like one of the questions has been changed. This question may have been eliminated, but I definitely recommend to keep thinking about it because this is a question brought up in interviews. So I will still answer it even though this may not be a question this year on the secondary.

How I normally approached it was the acknowledgement that medicine cannot be your only passion. You need to keep things outside of the hospital. However, these things will sometimes overlap with your physician duties. For example, I am married and my wife is a teacher. I am not going to say my wife is a hobby, but she is a very important thing in my life. I like to spend time with her and keep involved with her life, work and hobbies. One thing that I have done to intertwine all of those is help with the health aspects of her classroom. It allows me to spend more time with her, help out others and also go into her classroom. Of course I do other things and have other hobbies, but this is where my life overlaps. It allows my wife and I to communicate, it allows her to see what my life is like with planning and implimenting things and then I also get to see what her life is like.

Applying OOS (california wish me luck!), hoping my PS and EC will convince them of my desire to work in rural/underserved areas.

Any idea how the new curriculum is shaping up? I've been liking what I've seen on the website so far! Any insight is welcome :) UW is definitely my top choice!

Any idea how the new curriculum is shaping up? I've been liking what I've seen on the website so far! Any insight is welcome :) UW is definitely my top choice!
Honestly, I am jealous of the people that get the new curriculum. Classroom time shortened to 1.5 years, more clinical experience from the beginning, neuro clerkship moved to third year from the normal fourth, and all the classes will be intertwined together. For example, no longer will you learn about the heart over the course of classes spaced over two years like we do now where we take anatomy, then the next quarter histology, then two quarters later the cardio and pharmacology course. In the new curriculum, you will just take all them together and only deal with the aspects that are important for that system. That just sounds so more logical than how we do it now. Sure, the classes will be tougher but I think it makes much more sense to do it this was for the retention purposes.

Reactions: 4 users
Probably a question I should call and ask about, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has any insight.

I'm a WA state resident, went to high school/college here. But, I'll be moving to another state for my gap year job. Since I'll be filing taxes in that state, will that potentially cause me to lose my residency for UWSOM application purposes?

Here's a link to the WAC on this, I tried to interpret this, but I'm not seeing anything black and white about it..
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=250-18-020

Probably a question I should call and ask about, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has any insight.

I'm a WA state resident, went to high school/college here. But, I'll be moving to another state for my gap year job. Since I'll be filing taxes in that state, will that potentially cause me to lose my residency for UWSOM application purposes?

Here's a link to the WAC on this, I tried to interpret this, but I'm not seeing anything black and white about it..
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=250-18-020

(a)(i) Has established a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington primarily for purposes other than educational for the period of one year immediately prior to commencement of the first day of the semester or quarter for which he or she has registered at any institution; and

So you need to have been living in the state for the year prior to your matriculation. Living in a different state for that period would disqualify you from state residency.

I emailed that exact question to the residency office a few weeks ago since I will be leaving WA to work out of state during the gap year. I suggest you do the same so you have their answer in writing. The response was that it is fine to work out of state during the gap year so long as you don't stay a whole year and so long as you don't take steps to become a resident of your new state. So in theory you can work 11 months and keep your WA drivers license etc and you should be fine.

I emailed that exact question to the residency office a few weeks ago since I will be leaving WA to work out of state during the gap year. I suggest you do the same so you have their answer in writing. The response was that it is fine to work out of state during the gap year so long as you don't stay a whole year and so long as you don't take steps to become a resident of your new state. So in theory you can work 11 months and keep your WA drivers license etc and you should be fine.

Sweet, thank you! :)

-How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
-What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?
-What obstacles to your goals have you experienced and how have you dealt with them?

**Any tips on how to avoid overlapping information in my PS and experiences with the secondary prompts? They seem like they are asking a lot about what we've already discussed...

**Any tips on how to avoid overlapping information in my PS and experiences with the secondary prompts? They seem like they are asking a lot about what we've already discussed...

Just how I'm approaching them :) There definitely is some overlap in my PS and experiences, but when there was an overlap, I made sure I was covering it from a different angle, or going more in depth.

-How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
Here, I brainstormed the characteristics I consider to be instrumental as a physician, paired them with experiences where I have exhibited or learned these characteristics.... then wrote from there. I felt in my primary, I was able to expand upon my clinical related experiences, so I took the liberty to expand on a few non-clinical things in this essay..

-What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?
Nearly a straight diversity question. we all have different stories, circumstances, upbringings, backgrounds, etc. What is yours? You may have been able to touch upon this in your secondary, but now you have room to expand upon it (this question comes up a lot in secondaries, so I think it is worth taking the time to carefully consider what you'll write about.)

-What obstacles to your goals have you experienced and how have you dealt with them?
this is a popular secondary prompt as well. If you look this up in the forums, I've seen quite a few posts on a challenge/obstacle/setback secondary essays in the last few weeks. It took me a while to think of something myself where I was able to talk about a good, clean resolution... so I can't help you much on this front.

Reactions: 3 users
how long did it take to get your secondaries after being verified?

how long did it take to get your secondaries after being verified?
The primary applications haven't even been sent to the schools yet! That happens tomorrow, so you may have a little while to wait before people respond.

Usually, early July is when they start going out.

Quick question regarding OOS (Out-of-State) matriculants:

According to MSAR, 1/2 the class is from OOS. There is a note that states that they count WWAMI as IS (In-State).
In their statement under "Selection Factors," they claim that 5% of their students come from outside WWAMI.

Don't these two statements conflict with each other? I apologize if this has already been asked. But I tried to search and had 0 luck =/

According to MSAR, 1/2 the class is from OOS. There is a note that states that they count WWAMI as IS (In-State).
In their statement under "Selection Factors," they claim that 5% of their students come from outside WWAMI.

Don't these two statements conflict with each other? I apologize if this has already been asked. But I tried to search and had 0 luck =/

Last year there were 115 OOS matriculants and 120 IS matriculants. There were ~800 IS verified apps and ~5100 OOS verified apps. And yes, those are conflicting statements but I'd stick with the MSAR info!

Although for admission purposes, WWAMI residents count as IS, I believe the stats AAMC uses only counts Washington residents as IS. So the OOS stats are artificially high on MSAR.

Although for admission purposes, WWAMI residents count as IS, I believe the stats AAMC uses only counts Washington residents as IS. So the OOS stats are artificially high on MSAR.

Ahh, that explains it. Thanks for the response, and thank you Member 2800800 as well!

Last year there were 115 OOS matriculants and 120 IS matriculants. There were ~800 IS verified apps and ~5100 OOS verified apps. And yes, those are conflicting statements but I'd stick with the MSAR info!
This is correct, but you have to subtract the other WAMI places from that and you end up with like, 35 OOS students. This more correctly represents the people that were in my Seattle class (out of 100, there were like 20+ OOS students with even more MD/PhD people from out of the area), like @persumas stated.

So only OOS applicants that can resurrect the dead have a reasonable chance here...
Eh, it won't hurt to try.

Edit: If I decide to do physiatry, UW will be at the top of my list. There's probably more hope for graduate medical education if you are OOS.

So only OOS applicants that can resurrect the dead have a reasonable chance here...
Eh, it won't hurt to try.

Edit: If I decide to do physiatry, UW will be at the top of my list. There's probably more hope for graduate medical education if you are OOS.
If you fit their mission statement, you have a good chance of getting in. It's the same at all medical schools. That's why you should only apply to schools after doing some research on them. I learned my lesson the hard way too (I applied to Howard University).

On the application, stress the parts of your application that fall in line with their mission statement. These schools spend tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to craft these statements and then mold their schools around them. Make sure you know the missions well and match your application up with them and you will have a much more successful cycle.

Any idea what the word limit is for the autobiographical statement? I'm assuming something similar in length to the PS would be okay? Trying to figure out if I have to drastically cut or not. Thanks in advance!

Any idea what the word limit is for the autobiographical statement? I'm assuming something similar in length to the PS would be okay? Trying to figure out if I have to drastically cut or not. Thanks in advance!

Right? I was hoping that my UCSD secondary would be almost the same...

I wrote my Autobiography essay about 4000 characters, with a plan to tighten it up a little further. I can't imagine trying to fit in an autobiography and future aspirations in only three short paragraphs (250 characters). I know these essays are prime real estate to sell yourself, but I'm assuming brevity is still preferred. My guess is that nothing would frustrate an adcom more than an applicant's novel on that enlightening moment at age 4 when they fell in love with medicine after putting Band-Aid on someone's knee. :)

Yeah I figure I'll just keep my longer UCSD style autobio and then draft a shorter 250 word one just so I'm ready. Who even knows if I'll have to use the longer autobio since I'm OOS for UCSD.

When do people think we can expect a secondary? I know they came out around mid-July last year.

Yeah I figure I'll just keep my longer UCSD style autobio and then draft a shorter 250 word one just so I'm ready. Who even knows if I'll have to use the longer autobio since I'm OOS for UCSD.

When do people think we can expect a secondary? I know they came out around mid-July last year.
The prompts for the autobio from UCSD and UW are somewhat different. UCSD asks you to talk about anything related to you, your family, starting from childhood until now. UW asks for events which have driven you towards medicine. I would be careful with reusing the same autobio without editing.

WSU is very serious about this proposition and they have the full support of the majority of the Spokane community.
I feel like they have the support of all of Eastern Washington, not just Spokane. University of Washington has really been dragging their feet in establishing a medical campus there that adequately supports their needs. I am still under the impression that WSU's desire to have a medical school is beneficial because it forces UW to move faster to actually do their job. Don't take this as support that there should be a medical school in Spokane run by WSU. I am still under the impression that it would be more beneficial for all if UW ran the school and just increased the number of seats (no more administration costs and you still have the rank/curriculum set up that works for residency). This seems much more doable with the new curriculum that is starting since everyone will do their second year at their first year campus.

Secondary received! (IS) verified early June.

Questions are the same a last year's.

You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in health care, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office. (250 words)

Due to the volume of applications we receive, publications or manuscripts will not be included in your application file, and cannot be returned if sent. Instead, please submit abstracts or other brief descriptions of your work.

How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician? Limit 250 words.

What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class? Limit 250 words.

What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them? Limit 250 words.

Last edited:
OOS (California)
Just got an "Initial Letter" stating that they received my AMCAS application and would review it, then decide on whether or not to send a secondary request. From looking at threads from previous years I can't tell if this is typical. Does everyone receive this before a secondary invite/reject? Or just OOS?

:( got an initial letter, but no secondary! They must hate us OOSers

UW is not OOR-friendly. Generally they are very selective about admitting people outside the WWAMI region.