2014-2015 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AMCAS Verified 7/31. I am assuming I will not receive a secondary...I'm not part of the 0.1 percentile with >37 MCAT. That's OK Vanderbilt, a MD is a MD.

I wonder how many secondaries they have left to give out, especially since they interview so few.

Anyone know when they send rejections?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i feel bad because I actually fell for one of those automatic e mails they send, telling me to APPLY TO VANDERBILT. I wrote back asking if they legitimately wanted me to apply because I had a reasonable chance or if it was just an automatic e mail... and the guy actually wrote back and was very nice. but it just seems stupid if they send those without actually intending to give a secondary. my stats are slightly below their averages anyway, so its not like they really NEEDED my application
 
i feel bad because I actually fell for one of those automatic e mails they send, telling me to APPLY TO VANDERBILT. I wrote back asking if they legitimately wanted me to apply because I had a reasonable chance or if it was just an automatic e mail... and the guy actually wrote back and was very nice. but it just seems stupid if they send those without actually intending to give a secondary. my stats are slightly below their averages anyway, so its not like they really NEEDED my application
Don't feel bad. Falling for marketing strategy does not make you stupid, it just makes you a human. Maybe they do NEED your application because what you might bring to the table besides the stats. It's never a bad idea to give it a shot. Best of luck.
 
i feel bad because I actually fell for one of those automatic e mails they send, telling me to APPLY TO VANDERBILT. I wrote back asking if they legitimately wanted me to apply because I had a reasonable chance or if it was just an automatic e mail... and the guy actually wrote back and was very nice. but it just seems stupid if they send those without actually intending to give a secondary. my stats are slightly below their averages anyway, so its not like they really NEEDED my application
On the bright side, Vanderbilt doesn't charge you a fee on top of AMCAS unless you're sent a secondary application. So there is that.
 
Does Vanderbilt still do the behavioral interview? I loved my interview day here last year, but the questions I got from my interviewer were kind of ridiculous
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still no secondary. Essays still waiting to dance. =(

I would appreciate some morsel of hope, Vanderbilt, a simple status update, if you will. Or you could even dash my hopes with a rejection letter. Either is fine at this point, though I'd highly prefer the former...

SAY SOMETHIN' I'M GIVIN' UP ON YOU.
BlackMann! DO NOT GIVE UP!! (At least, not until the school makes you shout "Uncle"!) We dwell in uncertainty. . .even though "uncertainty" is a nomadic tent rather than a fixed structure. I am also wearied by Vanderbilt's coyness, but. . .silence ain't "no." (Rah. Yay! Go, team!)
 

Attachments

  • upload_2014-10-14_10-43-39.jpeg
    upload_2014-10-14_10-43-39.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 144
This might be kind of a dumb question, but does Vanderbilt look at your letters of rec before sending a secondary?

I don't think so. I received a secondary without my LOR having been sent in.

On a related note, does anyone know if Vanderbilt looks at your LORs before extending an interview invite?
 
I don't think so. I received a secondary without my LOR having been sent in.

On a related note, does anyone know if Vanderbilt looks at your LORs before extending an interview invite?
It was my understanding that your application would need to be complete before a II, and everywhere else your app isn't complete until LORs are received, so I am going to go with common sense that Vandy isn't different in that regard.
 
It was my understanding that your application would need to be complete before a II, and everywhere else your app isn't complete until LORs are received, so I am going to go with common sense that Vandy isn't different in that regard.
Some schools will extend an II without a complete app. Michigan comes to mind. I would guess there might be others as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
38 MCAT, 3.75 GPA, Tennessee resident (not that it matters technically, but they have to assume I'd be very interested given the proximity), got the application received email 7/14, and no secondary. I'm pretty sure it was deduced that a 3.8 gpa and 37 MCAT gets you a secondary automatically, so it's pretty discouraging that the comparable switching of that info doesn't merit a closer look. It just makes me feel like something else in my application turned them away. Anybody know when they start sending out rejections? Have they ever sent out secondaries this late, especially this long after an app is received (3 months)?
I have similar stats and was also very disappointed to not receive a secondary, this school started as my top pick. It seems like this year was already different from previous years so I'm not sure if you can compare, but I heard the latest for a secondary was September in the past.
 
I have similar stats and was also very disappointed to not receive a secondary, this school started as my top pick. It seems like this year was already different from previous years so I'm not sure if you can compare, but I heard the latest for a secondary was September in the past.

+1 @Kay293T! Was really hoping, but alas 🙁
 
Does anyone know if the short interview is closed or open file?
closed

*edit* try to remember that your interview is closed file as you answer questions! I frequently forgot this and would have to backtrack. So instead of saying "well this one time when i was in a group project doing x y and z" say "as an x major i had the opportunity to take y class and work on z project. In this project I did...."
 
Closed file!

Good luck and have an excellent time! My interviewers here embodied Southern hospitality to a T. Really lovely people.

closed

*edit* try to remember that your interview is closed file as you answer questions! I frequently forgot this and would have to backtrack. So instead of saying "well this one time when i was in a group project doing x y and z" say "as an x major i had the opportunity to take y class and work on z project. In this project I did...."

Thanks for the help. Best of luck to all.
 
Same... But I like to tell myself that even if they received the applications of most of their 240 future acceptees early in the cycle, they would still have to wait and spread out their interview invitations over a certain time frame, otherwise no one else would apply... So really, perhaps we are in a "future interview" pile that's just waiting to be extended....Maybe? Possibly? A girl can hope 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad