2015-2016 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow congrats! That's great!
I interviewed in early Dec and have yet to hear from the school. Getting kind of anxious... :/
Thanks! Best of luck! I hope you will receive good news from them soon

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My cousin was dismissed from Duke-NUS. ... My cousin did not deserve this.

This post has just come to my attention. The administration and I are concerned for the student and I am reaching out to him and his family.

Dr Mara McAdams (MD)
Assistant Dean, Student Life
Duke-NUS Medical School
[email protected]

Reactions: 3 users
My cousin was dismissed from Duke-NUS. He was so traumatised by the school that he wanted to kill himself. We did not know what happened until recently when he attempted to harm himself. He was a student with stellar results and the noble aspiration to devote himself towards healing people by becoming a doctor. Duke-NUS faculty did not teach him as they should have done. Rather they blamed him and told him that he was "not doing enough", "not working hard enough", "not smart enough", "not doing a good job". He had to redo without any support from Duke-NUS or its faculty. He studied more, practised more and tried harder. In his redo attempt Duke-NUS faculty came down on him even harder. He was feeling down and nobody empathised or helped him.

Finally Duke-NUS dismissed him. He was barely 2nd year, mid-way towards reaching his calling and purpose in life. Now he has become outlawed from Singapore for no fault of his. Duke-NUS promised to support him, help him achieve his goal of becoming a doctor, help him out with his service obligation to Singapore. Load of BS. All fake empty promises. The school did nothing of the sort. They abandoned him as soon as possible and he had to face the consequences alone. Now his chances at becoming a doctor in the US is practically zero.

What a useless and heartless school. Broke a good life with their callousness. My cousin did not deserve this.

Some acquaintances at the school said there only have been student withdrawals in the past but no dismissals. Could there have been a mistake? Regardless, I hope your cousin is well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some acquaintances at the school said there only have been student withdrawals in the past but no dismissals. Could there have been a mistake? Regardless, I hope your cousin is well.
I think there are schools persuading students to withdraw instead of dismissing them. I'm not sure if this is the case for Duke-NUS though.

Reactions: 1 user
My cousin was dismissed from Duke-NUS. He was so traumatised by the school that he wanted to kill himself. We did not know what happened until recently when he attempted to harm himself. He was a student with stellar results and the noble aspiration to devote himself towards healing people by becoming a doctor. Duke-NUS faculty did not teach him as they should have done. Rather they blamed him and told him that he was "not doing enough", "not working hard enough", "not smart enough", "not doing a good job". He had to redo without any support from Duke-NUS or its faculty. He studied more, practised more and tried harder. In his redo attempt Duke-NUS faculty came down on him even harder. He was feeling down and nobody empathised or helped him.

Finally Duke-NUS dismissed him. He was barely 2nd year, mid-way towards reaching his calling and purpose in life. Now he has become outlawed from Singapore for no fault of his. Duke-NUS promised to support him, help him achieve his goal of becoming a doctor, help him out with his service obligation to Singapore. Load of BS. All fake empty promises. The school did nothing of the sort. They abandoned him as soon as possible and he had to face the consequences alone. Now his chances at becoming a doctor in the US is practically zero.

What a useless and heartless school. Broke a good life with their callousness. My cousin did not deserve this.

Dear Atta,

I am a first year medical student from Duke-NUS; I've been a student here for slightly more than 7 months. I'm really sorry to hear about your cousin and we really hope he is doing better now. From my understanding, the faculty and some of his batchmates are reaching out to him ever since this was brought to their attention.

This response intends not to refute your claims about the school's treatment of your cousin, but to present a first-hand narrative on my student experience and faculty support. I hope you'll understand that these are my observations as a student here and whilst some may disagree with your account, they are genuine and (I hope) useful for other visitors to this thread. Also, I write out of my own accord and without pressure from faculty.

As a first year, I definitely have not experienced the full complement of challenges and hardship of a medical student. However, my peers and I have over the past few months, understood what it is like to be intellectually and emotionally pushed past comfort. I personally felt drained at times, but the point is that, there is always somewhere/someone to turn to for help. Beyond peer and family support, the faculty and administrative staff at the school are constantly in touch; activities such as college meetings provide an avenue for stress relief and we students are constantly encouraged to seek help from our group tutors or faculty. Even if we don't reach out, they periodically touch base with us to find out how we're doing.

In the past semester, our seniors and some faculty have given us remedial tutorials (out of goodwill) whenever required. Furthermore, from what I understand, there are also many measures put up by the school to aid students who struggle at grades or in their clinical years. They are identified early and tutoring is started to help them as soon as possible.

Admittedly, life here as a student definitely isn't a breeze given the curricular density but it is apparent to me that this school cares for and invests in each of its student's well-being. Hence any student will find assistance insofar as he/she seeks it. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Tan Chin Yee (Mr.)
MS1

Reactions: 2 users
I feel you, Atta. I am an ex-student of Duke-NUS.

I was "persuaded" to withdraw from Duke-NUS. Rather more accurately, I was pressurized or forced to withdraw after taking numerous negative hits in succession from the faculty and heads of Duke-NUS. Worst. decision. ever. Believed their words that they could write a letter for me to help me enter a medical school back in US. Turned out that it was worth crap. I applied to as many medical schools in the US as I could. All of them outright rejected my application without a chance of getting an interview or appeal. For a few years I tried reapplying, before I had little choice but to give up my dream of becoming a physician. I am sorry to have to break the bad news to you, Atta. Your cousin truly has zero chance of becoming a physician in the US.

Please stay strong, both your cousin and all of your family. Besides me, there have been other ex-students of Duke-NUS who have been through similar situations as your cousin. Please PM me if you would like to connect up with any of us who may be living in your area or close by. We personally know how terrible and trying this period of time is for your cousin and family. And yes, your cousin did not deserve to be treated in this manner by Duke-NUS.

What the Assistant Dean of Duke-NUS said amounts to personally admitting to Duke-NUS's dismissal of at least one student.
How many students withdrew or were dismissed from Duke-NUS?

What the Assistant Dean of Duke-NUS said amounts to personally admitting to Duke-NUS's dismissal of at least one student.
How many students withdrew or were dismissed from Duke-NUS?
I think withdrawing instead of being dismissed make your transcript look better? It seems like there might be more than 1 dismissed from the school...anyone can share more of their experience with the faculty? We need to see both sides of the coin....

Dear Atta,

I am a first year medical student from Duke-NUS; I've been a student here for slightly more than 7 months. I'm really sorry to hear about your cousin and we really hope he is doing better now. From my understanding, the faculty and some of his batchmates are reaching out to him ever since this was brought to their attention.

This response intends not to refute your claims about the school's treatment of your cousin, but to present a first-hand narrative on my student experience and faculty support. I hope you'll understand that these are my observations as a student here and whilst some may disagree with your account, they are genuine and (I hope) useful for other visitors to this thread. Also, I write out of my own accord and without pressure from faculty.

As a first year, I definitely have not experienced the full complement of challenges and hardship of a medical student. However, my peers and I have over the past few months, understood what it is like to be intellectually and emotionally pushed past comfort. I personally felt drained at times, but the point is that, there is always somewhere/someone to turn to for help. Beyond peer and family support, the faculty and administrative staff at the school are constantly in touch; activities such as college meetings provide an avenue for stress relief and we students are constantly encouraged to seek help from our group tutors or faculty. Even if we don't reach out, they periodically touch base with us to find out how we're doing.

In the past semester, our seniors and some faculty have given us remedial tutorials (out of goodwill) whenever required. Furthermore, from what I understand, there are also many measures put up by the school to aid students who struggle at grades or in their clinical years. They are identified early and tutoring is started to help them as soon as possible.

Admittedly, life here as a student definitely isn't a breeze given the curricular density but it is apparent to me that this school cares for and invests in each of its student's well-being. Hence any student will find assistance insofar as he/she seeks it. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Tan Chin Yee (Mr.)
MS1
Good to hear from current student. But seems like atta's cousin is a year 2 student? i believe life can be very different once you step into the clinical grounds and we all know how subjective are clinical grades...any more current students care to share?

I feel you, Atta. I am an ex-student of Duke-NUS.

I was "persuaded" to withdraw from Duke-NUS. Rather more accurately, I was pressurized or forced to withdraw after taking numerous negative hits in succession from the faculty and heads of Duke-NUS. Worst. decision. ever. Believed their words that they could write a letter for me to help me enter a medical school back in US. Turned out that it was worth crap. I applied to as many medical schools in the US as I could. All of them outright rejected my application without a chance of getting an interview or appeal. For a few years I tried reapplying, before I had little choice but to give up my dream of becoming a physician. I am sorry to have to break the bad news to you, Atta. Your cousin truly has zero chance of becoming a physician in the US.

Please stay strong, both your cousin and all of your family. Besides me, there have been other ex-students of Duke-NUS who have been through similar situations as your cousin. Please PM me if you would like to connect up with any of us who may be living in your area or close by. We personally know how terrible and trying this period of time is for your cousin and family. And yes, your cousin did not deserve to be treated in this manner by Duke-NUS.

I heard that there is a financial penalty to pay the school or government for not completing your education as stipulated in the contractual bond but it is on a case-by-case basis. Is this true? Did you have to pay more money on top of the previous school fees?

I heard that there is a financial penalty to pay the school or government for not completing your education as stipulated in the contractual bond but it is on a case-by-case basis. Is this true? Did you have to pay more money on top of the previous school fees?
Yes there is a financial penalty to pay the government and all of us who left were subjected to it. It is not on a case-by-case basis. It applies to everyone.

I had no money left to pay the penalty after paying years of tuition fees to Duke-NUS and living expenses so I am staying away from Singapore. That's what some of us are doing, return home or head elsewhere. Perhaps one or two of the richer students among us managed to pay part or all of the penalty? But I'm not certain of that. It's a colossal sum. The debt would burn a gaping bottomless hole in a pocket that was already close to empty.

Hope that answers your question.

Singapore's laws are absolutely insane. My friends traveled there and vowed never to return. There are public weekly hangings for trivial offenses. Why anyone would want to live in Singapore, let alone attend medical school there, is completely beyond me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Singapore's laws are absolutely insane. My friends traveled there and vowed never to return. There are public weekly hangings for trivial offenses. Why anyone would want to live in Singapore, let alone attend medical school there, is completely beyond me.

I have to admit that Singapore's laws are strict.However,it's for the betterment of society. Will you rather go out on the streets without worrying about your personal safety or go out with a cautious fear of robbery,murder,theft?

Hangings are already modified in the current legal system in Singapore
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...review-of-mandatory-death-penalty/281494.html

Firstly,there is no such thing as public hangings. Hangings are done privately and off the view from public.
Next,you don't get hanged for trivial offenses. Unless you claim to know that drug trafficking as a trivial offense,I highly think you should reconsider your statement.

I have to admit,I myself,as a Singaporean,still prefer to study medical school overseas(glad I am not in yet). Not because of the reputation of the school and the lecturers,but solely on curricula.
We have a pretty insane medical school schedule in Singapore. Basically,it's rather packed,probably worse than our college curricula.(National University of Singapore,Nanyang Technological University) Less holidays,mini tests every week.At the end of the day,it is stressful but,that pretty much makes you a stronger doctor,to tolerate stress.
Still,I will have preferred a own-time-on-target approach,which is pretty rare in Singapore.Unforgiving educational standards stand in our way and we are forced to adapt quickly. That's probably why I still open up more windows for international medical schools~

To share more, we graduate a year later in high school than most of the international students.(that means 1 year more of education) Honours programme is highly recommended in our universities,if not in many sense,seen as a priority.(It's similar to 1 year after bachelors) Students, who are faring well but decide to forego doing honours,are even questioned socially by their peers for taking such a route. All of that,makes us Singaporeans,crazy in a way,to be able to cope with the insane rush of information overload. This results in a different pedagogy,to cater to an elite group of students.A lot of reading up before class and independent studying,in order to keep up with the pace of life.

I don't know how the US education system works,but I know how much emphasis Singapore has on academics. Getting first class honours is not easy(>4.5/5.0),with so many motivated students over here.(National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University propelled in the global university rankings) Most of the people who get to medical school here,have a really strong foundation in their respective fields.(arts,business,science)

Another thing to note is effort vs expectation vs reality. How much effort you put in,affects your expectation,in turn,affecting your actual performance.
Sometimes you just can't get it,(that's not to say in med.sch ,this applies to interviews too) just accept life as it is. You did your best in your own capacity,you gave your all. Curriculum is tough but don't waste your life whining in self-pity and wallow. Pick yourself up and get on with your life. Have a plan B,work as a healthcare professional and continue to save and impact lives in different ways. Failing to be a doctor is not the end of the world.

I personally believe,if you want to save lives,you better save your own life first,before saving others.

Last edited:
Yes there is a financial penalty to pay the government and all of us who left were subjected to it. It is not on a case-by-case basis. It applies to everyone.

I had no money left to pay the penalty after paying years of tuition fees to Duke-NUS and living expenses so I am staying away from Singapore. That's what some of us are doing, return home or head elsewhere. Perhaps one or two of the richer students among us managed to pay part or all of the penalty? But I'm not certain of that. It's a colossal sum. The debt would burn a gaping bottomless hole in a pocket that was already close to empty.

Hope that answers your question.

So they allowed you to leave without paying the penalty? I mean granted you cannot return there ever again but that is a small price to pay compared to paying the full amount after years of tuition fees.

I have to admit that Singapore's laws are strict.However,it's for the betterment of society. Will you rather go out on the streets without worrying about your personal safety or go out with a cautious fear of robbery,murder,theft?

Hangings are already modified in the current legal system in Singapore
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...review-of-mandatory-death-penalty/281494.html

Firstly,there is no such thing as public hangings. Hangings are done privately and off the view from public.
Next,you don't get hanged for trivial offenses. Unless you claim to know that drug trafficking as a trivial offense,I highly think you should reconsider your statement.

I have to admit,I myself,as a Singaporean,still prefer to study medical school overseas(glad I am not in yet). Not because of the reputation of the school and the lecturers,but solely on curricula.
We have a pretty insane medical school schedule in Singapore. Basically,it's rather packed,probably worse than our college curricula.(National University of Singapore,Nanyang Technological University) Less holidays,mini tests every week.At the end of the day,it is stressful but,that pretty much makes you a stronger doctor,to tolerate stress.
Still,I will have preferred a own-time-on-target approach,which is pretty rare in Singapore.Unforgiving educational standards stand in our way and we are forced to adapt quickly. That's probably why I still open up more windows for international medical schools~

To share more, we graduate a year later in high school than most of the international students.(that means 1 year more of education) Honours programme is highly recommended in our universities,if not in many sense,seen as a priority.(It's similar to 1 year after bachelors) Students, who are faring well but decide to forego doing honours,are even questioned socially by their peers for taking such a route. All of that,makes us Singaporeans,crazy in a way,to be able to cope with the insane rush of information overload. This results in a different pedagogy,to cater to an elite group of students.A lot of reading up before class and independent studying,in order to keep up with the pace of life.

I don't know how the US education system works,but I know how much emphasis Singapore has on academics. Getting first class honours is not easy(>4.5/5.0),with so many motivated students over here.(National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University propelled in the global university rankings) Most of the people who get to medical school here,have a really strong foundation in their respective fields.(arts,business,science)

Another thing to note is effort vs expectation vs reality. How much effort you put in,affects your expectation,in turn,affecting your actual performance.
Sometimes you just can't get it,(that's not to say in med.sch ,this applies to interviews too) just accept life as it is. You did your best in your own capacity,you gave your all. Curriculum is tough but don't waste your life whining in self-pity and wallow. Pick yourself up and get on with your life. Have a plan B,work as a healthcare professional and continue to save and impact lives in different ways. Failing to be a doctor is not the end of the world.

I personally believe,if you want to save lives,you better save your own life first,before saving others.

Random drug screenings at airports. If you have anything in your system that's not supposed to be there, regardless of whether or not you're actually in possession of an illicit drugs, lands you the death penalty.

That's a deal breaker.

So they allowed you to leave without paying the penalty? I mean granted you cannot return there ever again but that is a small price to pay compared to paying the full amount after years of tuition fees.
Lol. They did not "allow" us to leave. Would you allow a person to leave, if the guy owes you money big time? Big time = your remaining working life's worth of income (or more) in an average job. Each of us had to skip out of town asap before they could demand the penalty sum.

Well we had to cut off all ties to Singapore as it's a huge risk to be tracked down by our contacts. So good luck trying to reach Atta's cousin. He can't afford to reply to anyone. But it's no biggie unless maybe your significant other is stuck in there for long.

Not certain what happened to Singapore students though. I imagine they are stuck there paying the penalty somehow. That would really suck. A double whammy. No job + massive debt. Thanks to their own government and school. Probably better off dead than be stuck in a living hell.

Random drug screenings at airports. If you have anything in your system that's not supposed to be there, regardless of whether or not you're actually in possession of an illicit drugs, lands you the death penalty.

That's a deal breaker.

People who looked like "hippies" used to be drug tested at the airport maybe 10-20 years ago. If they tested positive for whatever substance, they would have to pay a fine, not be executed. These days, those types of laws are far more relaxed.

And also, the death penalty is reserved for drug traffickers who try to bring in large quantities of drugs in to Singapore...as is the case in most countries in SE Asia.

Lol. They did not "allow" us to leave. Would you allow a person to leave, if the guy owes you money big time? Big time = your remaining working life's worth of income (or more) in an average job. Each of us had to skip out of town asap before they could demand the penalty sum.

Well we had to cut off all ties to Singapore as it's a huge risk to be tracked down by our contacts. So good luck trying to reach Atta's cousin. He can't afford to reply to anyone. But it's no biggie unless maybe your significant other is stuck in there for long.

Not certain what happened to Singapore students though. I imagine they are stuck there paying the penalty somehow. That would really suck. A double whammy. No job + massive debt. Thanks to their own government and school. Probably better off dead than be stuck in a living hell.

Holy cow! Must really suck to be a singapore student then. It's like having a gun to your head to motivate you to study. Now I understand why asian students are so damn hardworking.

Do all asian medical schools do this?

Notice how it is everyone else's fault but theirs.

If you're suggesting that a student who's withdrawn / been dismissed is at fault, I think that would be an extremely unfair thing to say. One of the values of the healthcare profession is the idea of caring for other individuals, and especially those that are vulnerable and in greatest need. In an educational institution, a struggling student (like the OP's cousin) would be an example of such an individual. So to suggest that they might be at fault, and for the institution to lead them into a situation where they "wanted to kill" and "attempted to harm" themselves is extremely sad and unfortunate.

Reactions: 3 users
If you're suggesting that a student who's withdrawn / been dismissed is at fault, I think that would be an extremely unfair thing to say. One of the values of the healthcare profession is the idea of caring for other individuals, and especially those that are vulnerable and in greatest need. In an educational institution, a struggling student (like the OP's cousin) would be an example of such an individual. So to suggest that they might be at fault, and for the institution to lead them into a situation where they "wanted to kill" and "attempted to harm" themselves is extremely sad and unfortunate.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear hence you are jumping to conclusions. I am not suggesting that the students are the only one at fault. Clearly there are things that both the students and school could have done better. It is just unfair to assume that all fault lies on the school and that the students have done nothing wrong at all. To say that the school led them 'into a situation where they "wanted to kill" and "attempted to harm" themselves' is unwarranted.

It takes two hands to clap. I do not wish to come across as overly defensive or provide too much unnecessary details so as to protect the students' privacy, but I hope that what I have said will provide some food for thought.

That aside, I understand the repercussions of dropping out of medical school, especially a Singapore medical school. I hope that all students will be able to move on, and lead an even more fulfilling life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I didn't make myself clear hence you are jumping to conclusions. I am not suggesting that the students are the only one at fault. Clearly there are things that both the students and school could have done better. It is just unfair to assume that all fault lies on the school and that the students have done nothing wrong at all. To say that the school led them 'into a situation where they "wanted to kill" and "attempted to harm" themselves' is unwarranted.

It takes two hands to clap. I do not wish to come across as overly defensive or provide too much unnecessary details so as to protect the students' privacy, but I hope that what I have said will provide some food for thought.

That aside, I understand the repercussions of dropping out of medical school, especially a Singapore medical school. I hope that all students will be able to move on, and lead an even more fulfilling life.
"Notice how it is everyone else's fault but theirs."

"I hope that all students will be able to move on, and lead an even more fulfilling life."

Are you for real? Or are you from Duke-NUS adcom?

Do you really "understand the repercussions of dropping out of medical school, especially a Singapore medical school"? I'd advise you to get yourself a taste of that first before you go round dissing others.

"Notice how it is everyone else's fault but theirs."

"I hope that all students will be able to move on, and lead an even more fulfilling life."

Are you for real? Or are you from Duke-NUS adcom?

Do you really "understand the repercussions of dropping out of medical school, especially a Singapore medical school"? I'd advise you to get yourself a taste of that first before you go round dissing others.

Chill dude. I am not from the adcom and whatever I say don't represent Duke NUS in any way. I doubt the adcom will dare to speak the way I do. I speak based on my own observations and thoughts. I don't need to drop out to know what it entails to be drop out of medical school. If I am "blaming the victim", aren't you are blaming the school too? If I am dissing others, aren't you dissing the school too? But I am in no position to blame or diss anyone and don't intend to (but maybe you have the right to). I just want to reiterate the point that no school will ever "persuade, pressure or force" any student to withdraw or expel them for no good reason. Imagine the amount of effort they have put in to train any student (especially training a doctor). I am not saying that Duke NUS is free of all faults and all fault lies on any student who dropped out. Both parties need to bear responsibility instead of blaming either side entirely. Reread the post that I wrote which you quoted, I believe I have clarified sufficiently.

Isn't it better to move on and lead an even more fulfilling life? Instead of waiting for others to help and end up blaming them when they don't render the help you expect, why not do something right now to improve the situation?

No matter what I say those who dropped out will be angered. But in light of such heavy news, I hope that whatever I have brought up will offer a different perspective and encourage those who are passionate in becoming a doctor to not be deterred by such events. Medical school is difficult, but many of us make it at the end of the day. Everyone of us have invested a lot to be here.

If I am "blaming the victim", aren't you are blaming the school too?

I do not think that blaming (even partially) the student and blaming the school are equivalent. While one party is in a position of power and authority, the other is not. Once again, to borrow an analogy from the medical profession, the patient (or any vulnerable group in general) must never be blamed (EVEN if they could have done things better). So I would be extremely hesitant to place any blame on a student, especially considering there seems to be more than one case of a student being asked to withdraw.

I appreciate your attempt to provide a different perspective, but honestly, as a prospective student who's considering attending Duke-NUS, I find the willingness to blame a student more worrying than reassuring.

I do not think that blaming (even partially) the student and blaming the school are equivalent. While one party is in a position of power and authority, the other is not. Once again, to borrow an analogy from the medical profession, the patient (or any vulnerable group in general) must never be blamed (EVEN if they could have done things better). So I would be extremely hesitant to place any blame on a student, especially considering there seems to be more than one case of a student being asked to withdraw.

I appreciate your attempt to provide a different perspective, but honestly, as a prospective student who's considering attending Duke-NUS, I find the willingness to blame a student more worrying than reassuring.

Ok I apologize for that. My phrasing was poor - so let me reiterate - I am not blaming any student. If my attempt to balance the viewpoint has failed, then I will take back my words. There are points brought up by you and others I would like to clarify but it seems like it will only make things worse so I will refrain from making further comments. If it helps, talk to current students doing the programme if you want to find out how it is like at Duke NUS, and decide if coming here would be a right choice.

But one point I would like to bring up - a medical student is different from a vulnerable being. He or she is meant to do great and important things in the future. There are things they can do for themselves, unlike those who are truly disadvantaged. I agree one should not blame a patient, but that doesn't mean the patient has done everything well/done nothing wrong, and doesn't mean the patient is free from all responsibility. It is after all their own health. You can only do that much. Everyone is responsible for themselves. Others may be obliged to help, but there is a limit to the help they can give. Also, how much help is deemed as enough? Different people will have different answers, and it depends on the target group as well.

Last edited:
I applied in October, 2105 for the coming year (2016). Retook my MCATs on Jan 22nd - scored 511 (85th percentile). GPA - 3.7. Two years of research ( One was a group project second year, and currently doing an individual project this year). Have done two weeks shadowing doctors (a gastroenterologist and a neurosurgeon) and around 28 hours of volunteering. Also did around 2 months of internship under a engineering firm first year. Currently doing BEng in Biomedical Engineering. Granted that admissions have only just started reviewing my application after the second set of mcat scores. But what do you guys think are my chances of getting an interview invite? Was nervously waiting and thought that some support from fellow students could help. I am non Singaporean btw.

I applied in October, 2105 for the coming year (2016). Retook my MCATs on Jan 22nd - scored 511 (85th percentile). GPA - 3.7. Two years of research ( One was a group project second year, and currently doing an individual project this year). Have done two weeks shadowing doctors (a gastroenterologist and a neurosurgeon) and around 28 hours of volunteering. Also did around 2 months of internship under a engineering firm first year. Currently doing BEng in Biomedical Engineering. Granted that admissions have only just started reviewing my application after the second set of mcat scores. But what do you guys think are my chances of getting an interview invite? Was nervously waiting and thought that some support from fellow students could help. I am non Singaporean btw.

Why do you want to apply to this program? You have good enough stats for a US MD school, no? I'm only asking because I don't understand the attractiveness of this program to US applicants

Hey! I think the last Applicant Day was held on March 8th, but there's no harm writing to the school and asking?

Why do you want to apply to this program? You have good enough stats for a US MD school, no? I'm only asking because I don't understand the attractiveness of this program to US applicants
I am not American, and I am not doing my bachelors from the US. So chances of getting into American Medical schools is slim. Plus I would rather attend a great program outside of the US than stay in the US and go to mediocre schools. Duke NUS has an excellent program - emphasis on research and Team LEAD. Singaporean healthcare is pretty good as well. It is often considered the biggest medical hub in Asia, so in terms of learning opportunities it is second to none. Also I strongly believe that a school which spends money on things like financial aid even for its international students is a school that actually cares for its student community. I have talked to some students from Duke NUS, and they all seem to have the same general opinion on the amazing faculty, teaching standards, and research opportunities. I really want to do medicine (I won't go into why in this post), and Duke NUS feels like the right place to pursue the profession. It is my top choice, and if I don't get in this year, I am planning on applying again next year. I just wish I could convince admissions somehow. I am just keeping my fingers crossed for now. But does anyone have any idea with my stats what are my chances of getting an interview invitation?

Do they send out rejections at this point in time or would they only inform unsuccessful applicants much later? It's been quite a long wait...I'm contemplating to take a part time course which will extend into the month of August but couldn't make a decision with my unconfirmed application status..

Do they send out rejections at this point in time or would they only inform unsuccessful applicants much later? It's been quite a long wait...I'm contemplating to take a part time course which will extend into the month of August but couldn't make a decision with my unconfirmed application status..

I am really hoping that they send out something by next week or max the week after. By 22nd March if they don't send us something, I am gonna guess that they are drafting out our rejection letters. When did you apply btw if you don't mind me asking?

I am really hoping that they send out something by next week or max the week after. By 22nd March if they don't send us something, I am gonna guess that they are drafting out our rejection letters. When did you apply btw if you don't mind me asking?
hey, i actually went for the dec applicant day.

And good luck to your mar applicant day. your stats are much stronger than mine. i'm sure they'll send you an invitation.
Ohh okk! Thank you! Fingers crossed!! Also, if I do get an invitation, would you mind if I asked you for details on how it was like?

Ohh okk! Thank you! Fingers crossed!! Also, if I do get an invitation, would you mind if I asked you for details on how it was like?
You would be assigned to a team on that day for the teamlead session. The topic of discussion will be released to you a few days before the applicant day. It's a lighthearted session and you would just need to go with the flow. There would be a lunch session with the current student faculty where you can learn more about the school from them. There would a short essay writing component (no need to worry about this, there's not much to prepare), and 2 one-to-one interviews (a scientist and a doctor). All the best!

You would be assigned to a team on that day for the teamlead session. The topic of discussion will be released to you a few days before the applicant day. It's a lighthearted session and you would just need to go with the flow. There would be a lunch session with the current student faculty where you can learn more about the school from them. There would a short essay writing component (no need to worry about this, there's not much to prepare), and 2 one-to-one interviews (a scientist and a doctor). All the best!

If you don't mind answering, what was your essay topic? Just not very good at writing on spot essays :(

If you don't mind answering, what was your essay topic? Just not very good at writing on spot essays :(
They are actually multiple short questions, needing only short answers. We were told not to reveal the details. My advice is not to lose sleep over it :)

They are actually multiple short questions, needing only short answers. We were told not to reveal the details. My advice is not to lose sleep over it :)
Ahh okk! thanks for all your help! Hope to get an interview invite soon (fingers crossed)

Got an invite today - so relived. I just had a couple of questions, and I was hoping someone could answer them.

Q1) What do the interviews ask you at the interview? Why medicine? What research ect?
Q2) I am an international student, and I am going to have to go to Singapore for interview. Any ideas where I could stay? Could current students host us?

Thank you for all the help

Got an invite today - so relived. I just had a couple of questions, and I was hoping someone could answer them.

Q1) What do the interviews ask you at the interview? Why medicine? What research ect?
Q2) I am an international student, and I am going to have to go to Singapore for interview. Any ideas where I could stay? Could current students host us?

Thank you for all the help
Congrats! Just keep calm and understand your own application well. They usually will want you to elaborate on things you wrote in your application. It would be good to prepare answers for some standard questions like why medicine. You may want to consider the hotel which is a walking distance away from the school - Hotel 81 Osaka, 1 Eng Hoon St, 169753 (http://www.hotel81.com.sg/hotel_osaka.html#).

Dear Atta,

I am sorry to hear that things turned out this way for your cousin. The way your family member was treated was unfair, unjust, and two faced. I applaud your courage in speaking out on your cousin’s behalf on the student doctor community. I am an insider at duke-nus and can’t identify myself to you for reasons I believe you can understand.

What I am about to tell you are facts that I believe would interest you and your family. The school has a secret history of systematically targeting and failing students who have had issues with certain key senior faculty members. What you have described is classic for how these students are dismissed from the school. They may have even been excellent students prior to when the incident occurs. It's only when you displease a key member that the problems start. First, the student is accused of suddenly putting in poor performances in the wards. His professionalism is also usually called into question. They might make him repeat a few rotations, to show that the school is giving him a chance to make things right. In reality, they have already made the decision to dismiss him. All they are doing is amassing evidence and building a picture of a "problem student", so that when they do eventually dismiss him, they can cite to numerous instances for where he underperformed and how he's not cut out to be a doctor. This is why you feel like your cousin was abandoned by the school faculty - they had no intention to help him in the first place. The school can’t afford to piss off it’s clinical faculty members in the hospital. They hold a position of power and the school will bend over backwards to appease them – even if it means throwing a perfectly capable student under a bus to save face. We know of several other students whom have faced this injustice over the past ten years yet, no one has spoken these facts in public. Until now.

At this point, I would like to get in contact with you offline. I believe we can help provide more information that would at the least help your cousin find peace of mind and heal the terrible burden of self-guilt he has been forced to bear by those whom pretended to be his mentors. Moreover, I believe we can work together to expose this story so that other students can be saved from the crime of what your cousin and others have endured.

Please PM me back at this account. You may also email me at my dummy account ([email protected]) as I will be awaiting your reply should you choose to find out the truth.

Sincerely,
----

Dear Atta,

I am sorry to hear that things turned out this way for your cousin. The way your family member was treated was unfair, unjust, and two faced. I applaud your courage in speaking out on your cousin’s behalf on the student doctor community. I am an insider at duke-nus and can’t identify myself to you for reasons I believe you can understand.

What I am about to tell you are facts that I believe would interest you and your family. The school has a secret history of systematically targeting and failing students who have had issues with certain key senior faculty members. What you have described is classic for how these students are dismissed from the school. They may have even been excellent students prior to when the incident occurs. It's only when you displease a key member that the problems start. First, the student is accused of suddenly putting in poor performances in the wards. His professionalism is also usually called into question. They might make him repeat a few rotations, to show that the school is giving him a chance to make things right. In reality, they have already made the decision to dismiss him. All they are doing is amassing evidence and building a picture of a "problem student", so that when they do eventually dismiss him, they can cite to numerous instances for where he underperformed and how he's not cut out to be a doctor. This is why you feel like your cousin was abandoned by the school faculty - they had no intention to help him in the first place. The school can’t afford to piss off it’s clinical faculty members in the hospital. They hold a position of power and the school will bend over backwards to appease them – even if it means throwing a perfectly capable student under a bus to save face. We know of several other students whom have faced this injustice over the past ten years yet, no one has spoken these facts in public. Until now.

At this point, I would like to get in contact with you offline. I believe we can help provide more information that would at the least help your cousin find peace of mind and heal the terrible burden of self-guilt he has been forced to bear by those whom pretended to be his mentors. Moreover, I believe we can work together to expose this story so that other students can be saved from the crime of what your cousin and others have endured.

Please PM me back at this account. You may also email me at my dummy account ([email protected]) as I will be awaiting your reply should you choose to find out the truth.

Sincerely,
----
As the family member of a prospective student I find this very worrying than reassuring. I seriously hope no one else get expelled for this kind of reason in the future. I also hope the school dean can offer some opinions on this to make it more transparent.

I continue to monitor this thread, and I invite anyone to email me to arrange a meeting to discuss this further if needed. As a medical school, we take seriously our responsibility to students, patients and families, and we are committed to training students to become professional and medically competent doctors.

Dr Mara McAdams
Assistant Dean, Student Affairs
Duke-NUS Medical School
[email protected]

Dear prospective students
As the family member of a prospective student I find this very worrying than reassuring. I seriously hope no one else get expelled for this kind of reason in the future. I also hope the school dean can offer some opinions on this to make it more transparent.
You surely should be worried and if possible, try to send him to a school where they teach, rather than ask us to google answers. And if you raise any questions, you are doomed. All the students are in this school because they were not able to find admission elsewhere. Our dream of becoming a doctor is bigger than the years of sufferings in the school and thus we are all stuck here.

Reactions: 1 users