2015-2016 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@gotime15 AHHHHHHHHHHH SO THRILLED FOR YOU. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Members don't see this ad.

That's pretty incredible :) Do you mind sharing some of your info/LizzyM? Good luck at the interview!

Thanks! Sure here's some background. My lizzyM score is 73. My MCAT is definitely on the lower end for HMS. I have strong and diverse extracurriculars though, specifically in community outreach programs. I also spent time in two labs though I don't have any significant publications from either. I also have over 10 solid letters of recommendation- though none are Harvard affiliated.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-26_21-54-3.png
    upload_2015-8-26_21-54-3.png
    431 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Might have been a packet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, play nice guys. I just thought it was funny OP put in 10 letters; it's definitely possible if the premed committee allows it, but that doesn't mean it's well-advised or if all 10 will have an impact (doubtful from what we've heard)

In any case the II should be real. HMS has started sending IIs from 8/20 onwards every single year according to past threads. Don't pull the troll card so quickly..

Yeah, play nice guys. I just thought it was funny OP put in 10 letters; it's definitely possible if the premed committee allows it, but that doesn't mean it's well-advised or if all 10 will have an impact (doubtful from what we've heard)

In any case the II should be real. HMS has started sending IIs from 8/20 onwards every single year according to past threads. Don't pull the troll card so quickly..
And according to MDApps they have started sending them this year.

Edit: I'm assuming this is for MD-only, right? Not MSTP?

I was trying to be helpful. Those letters were in a pre-med advisor packet.

My apologies—I've removed the GIF. I feel really bad for ruining the first HMS II announcement on SDN.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I literally watched this movie last night...what is this sorcery..

Any idea on the number of students accepted into the Pathways vs. HST programs?

II just now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a way to get my first one of the cycle from HMS!
3.78/36, top ECs, complete 7/24, did not write anything additional in secondary beyond gap years description. Available dates were T/Th/F 3rd-4th week of Sept

Reactions: 21 users
Well deserved. Congrat! :)

First off, congrats to all of you who have already gotten an II! That’s pretty impressive, and I hope that you’re proud. For those of you waiting, don’t get bummed out. I didn’t get my secondary complete until September, and my last LOR wasn’t submitted until October (…it was stressful). I interviewed in the middle of January and was fine.

[On a side note, don’t expect to be blown away by HMS on your interview day. Most of us remember it as being gruff and relatively uninformative (especially when compared to other schools). You’re free to speculate about why HMS plays it that way – I’m just giving you a heads up.]

Second, let’s talk about Pathways. We just had our first exam yesterday. Most of us did fairly well, and many people feel that they over-studied (this is Harvard, of course).

The way that our week is set up is as follows: On M/T/Th/F we have classes from 8-12:30. This is split into 3 x 1.5hr blocks. Each block is a different subject (and each anatomy class takes up 2 blocks because it’s a lab). So over the past 3 weeks, we have had 5 cell biology/biochem, 5 histology, 4 genetics, 5 anatomy, 1 immunology, and 1 pharmacology classes (these numbers are not static, and will change as we move through subjects). We also usually have about 1 “clinic” each week, in which a patient with a relevant condition comes in and speaks to the entire Pathways class. All these classes (excepting the clinics and anatomy) are taught by society (about 40 students with 2-3 instructors), and are not lectures (there are no lectures). Instead, the instructors walk us through a series of questions that we discuss in groups of 3-4, and then try to bring it all together as a society. The majority of the rote learning is done before class; class time is for building a greater understanding of the overarching principles. Anatomy lab is 3-4 per cadaver (mixed societies) with 1 instructor for about 3 tables.

On Wednesdays we go to our clinical sites (MGH, Brigham & Women’s, etc.) for ~8 hours, and we learn how to do all that doctor stuff that you see on tv: taking histories, looking in ears, interacting with patients, using a lot of hand sanitizer. The awesome part (besides the fact that we get to do this so early in the curriculum) is that we will stay at these clinical sites during our 2nd-year rotation, so you get to know the hospital, staff, procedures, etc. really well. The only exception is that some people will do their pediatrics rotations at Boston Children’s (because Boston Children’s is amazing).

Is Pathways working perfectly? No. I think that almost all of us have some sort of problem with it, and the faculty are aware and responsive. There is student feedback after every class, and they have already made several changes to the curriculum. I won’t lie: I find it very frustrating almost every day. Part of that is probably due to faults in how the material is presented and how we are assessed (P/F, but you still have to take tests and quizzes). Part of my frustration, however, is almost certainly due to the rigors of medical school, and I would likely be vexed at anywhere. That said, I think that there is tremendous potential for this curriculum, and I can already see how it will unfold over the next few months. With a couple of structural tweaks and some fine-tuning on the part of individual instructors, Pathways will be one of the best medical curricula out there.

Any idea on the number of students accepted into the Pathways vs. HST programs?

I don’t know this number off the top of my head. There are probably about 30-40 HST students in the 2019 class of ~200 (which includes 35 dental students). My guess is that they accept around 50-60 for HST. Applicants who get in to HST tend to be well-qualified and quite competitive (professionally), so they are likely to get offers from several top schools as well as some MD/PhD programs. But HST is a whole different ballgame from Pathways now, so it’s hard to say. HST does not take classes with Pathways. We have not seen them much since orientation. They’ve been taking an accelerated statistics course for the past few weeks, and in September they’ll switch over to their medical curriculum. Still, their lessons will be geared much more towards current medical research than the foundational and clinical medicine that we’re learning. And whereas we in Pathways will head off to the clinics next year, the HST students won’t be seeing patients until their 3rd year. It’s a little sad that we don’t really interact with them regularly.

Reactions: 4 users
Do they send an application complete e-mail?
They do not. Just check the portal for all the checkmarks next to the components once you've submitted the secondary

Anyone know if a student interview is expected out of the two interviews? Or is it a grab bag in that you could get 1 faculty/1 student or 2 faculty?
@the_ajax_kid

II just now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a way to get my first one of the cycle from HMS!
3.78/36, top ECs, complete 7/24, did not write anything additional in secondary beyond gap years description. Available dates were T/Th/F 3rd-4th week of Sept
congrats man!

Congrats to those with IIs! Like Ajax said, don't worry if you haven't heard back it's still extremely early.

As far as the HMS interview, yeah... it was not great. Don't get me wrong, the people I met were really impressive and cool (this includes faculty and interviewers), but I was not sold on HMS until revisit (which was a great and more accurate representation of the school, students, and faculty). I think that HMS interviews seem disjointed due to the size of the HMS hospital system (interviews are spread out over a decently sized territory).

As far as curriculum and society setup, Ajax's explanation is great. Here are a few of my own personal pros and cons in regards to a few things at HMS:

Pros
  • I have actually really enjoyed the flipped classroom model. I did not have much exposure to this teaching method. It works for my learning style, but I'm fully aware that mileage may vary on this.
  • The faculty has be PHENOMENAL when it comes to caring about student feedback and well being. HMS really wants its students to succeed.
  • POM is fantastic. It was a little disorganized at first, but the faculty has adjusted and things are going more smoothly now. Plus, being at MGH/BI/CHA/BW during your first and second year....enough said!
  • Pass/Fail. Whether you end up HMS or at another school, don't underestimate how big of an impact a pass/fail curriculum can make on the class psyche.
Cons
  • Society based learning is great, but it can be a little inconsistent. This new curriculum is new for everyone involved. They are adjusting things as they learn.
  • The class is a little more fragmented than I anticipated. We are mostly interacting with people within our society.

Basically, I agree with Ajax that there are tweaks that need to be made (and that are being made). With how hard the faculty is working though, I'm confident that you guys will not have to worry about many of our class' issues. I think the benefits of this curriculum heavily outweigh the negatives. Plus, this curriculum business is not as important as the clinical/research opportunities. When it comes to those two things, few schools can compare to HMS.

Anyone know if a student interview is expected out of the two interviews? Or is it a grab bag in that you could get 1 faculty/1 student or 2 faculty?
@the_ajax_kid
I think it's a grab bag. I had 2 faculty. Some people on my interview day had 1 student, 1 faculty.

So if there are no lectures, is attendance basically mandatory given the flipped classroom style?

Full disclosure: Tupacca is one of my classmates, but I have no idea who he or she is. It's great to get his (or her) perspective, and I think that we agree on the vast majority of points. Most importantly, I second his statement about P/F!

@the_ajax_kid

I also think that it's a grab bag, but most people seem to have gotten 2 faculty. One of my interviews was done in the admissions office, the other was at MGH (they pay for your cab).

So if there are no lectures, is attendance basically mandatory given the flipped classroom style?

Yes. Attendance is mandatory for all classes. There are no recordings. And it's a discussion format, so you want to be there in order to participate. I actually really enjoy getting to interact with all of my peers on a daily basis. You're allowed a very limited number of absences under specific conditions (e.g. family emergencies), but otherwise you will need to be there rain or shine. Those 8am classes make Vandy sound like a good option, right?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if I apply MD/PhD and HST and am rejected for MD/PhD, will I still be considered for HST?

Does anyone know if I apply MD/PhD and HST and am rejected for MD/PhD, will I still be considered for HST?
Yes. Only downside is that your MD application gets sent to the medical school a bit late in the game since MD/PhD doesn't have rolling admissions (unless you get rejected pre-interview, which of course most of us will! Hah).

Yes. Only downside is that your MD application gets sent to the medical school a bit late in the game since MD/PhD doesn't have rolling admissions (unless you get rejected pre-interview, which of course most of us will! Hah).
I'm thinking of applying just HST MD since the MD/PhD program only gives out very few acceptances. Do you think it would be a problem that most of my letters are written saying "I recommend this person for an MD/PhD program" ?

II!!!!!! OMG. HOW IS THIS REAL LIFE?!?!

Sep 25th anyone else??

Reactions: 7 users
I'm thinking of applying just HST MD since the MD/PhD program only gives out very few acceptances. Do you think it would be a problem that most of my letters are written saying "I recommend this person for an MD/PhD program" ?
It might be a little weird, yes. I don't know how it would impact the application but I'm sure it'll raise a few questions. If you are so blasé-faire about applying MD/PhD vs MD, though, might I ask why you are thinking of applying to the former at all? To do MD/PhD you have to be pretty much of the "I won't be happy with just an MD or a PhD" mindset, and you seem like you are pretty OK with just the MD.

Edit: Not trying to say applying to a few MD-only is a bad idea -- I did so myself, but only to schools that don't fund my intended PhD degree -- just wanted to ask since some interviewers will even straight up ask if you applied to MD programs!

Last edited:
It might be a little weird, yes. I don't know how it would impact the application but I'm sure it'll raise a few questions. If you are so blasé-faire about applying MD/PhD vs MD, though, might I ask why you are thinking of applying to the former at all? To do MD/PhD you have to be pretty much of the "I won't be happy with just an MD or a PhD" mindset, and you seem like you are pretty OK with just the MD.

Thanks for the input! I applied to MD/PhD everywhere else, but I was thinking of going with just HST MD for two reasons mainly:
1. HST MD offers greater access to research than normal MD programs and even allows for slowing of the curriculum to make time for research. Along with access to top-notch faculty and a science-heavy pre-clinical curriculum, I feel that I would be able to gain significant exposure to science and research even without the PhD.
2. From a practical standpoint, I know I have very little chance of getting into the MD/PhD program (they only hand out 12-14 acceptances each year). I feel that with just HST MD I would have a slightly greater chance, albeit still very little lol.

I think I will probably just go ahead and apply MD/PhD though since it might be strange with my letters...

Edit: Not trying to say applying to a few MD-only is a bad idea -- I did so myself, but only to schools that don't fund my intended PhD degree -- just wanted to ask since some interviewers will even straight up ask if you applied to MD programs!
I think he means that Harvard is worth dropping the PhD for. ;)

Also HST is so unique, not heresy to accept it in lieu of PhD

Thanks for the input! I applied to MD/PhD everywhere else, but I was thinking of going with just HST MD for two reasons mainly:
1. HST MD offers greater access to research than normal MD programs and even allows for slowing of the curriculum to make time for research. Along with access to top-notch faculty and a science-heavy pre-clinical curriculum, I feel that I would be able to gain significant exposure to science and research even without the PhD.
2. From a practical standpoint, I know I have very little chance of getting into the MD/PhD program (they only hand out 12-14 acceptances each year). I feel that with just HST MD I would have a slightly greater chance, albeit still very little lol.

I think I will probably just go ahead and apply MD/PhD though since it might be strange with my letters...
Yeah, I forgot HST is so research-oriented. However the letter thing is a bit of a sticky spot. I ran into that issue with another one of my schools, where I found out after submitting AMCAS that they don't fund my PhD. I just withdrew since I was afraid that the letters would basically ruin my chances anyway. But maybe call them and ask, they might say that it won't matter!

II!!!!!!!!! Flabbergasted, shocked, all those words... Excuse me as I go to my happy place. :soexcited: I saw options for T/Th second and third week of september.

Legit had to read the email a few times to process.

Reactions: 6 users
II!!!!!!!!! Flabbergasted, shocked, all those words... Excuse me as I go to my happy place. :soexcited: I saw options for T/Th second and third week of september.

Pokemon power, huzzah!!! What day are you picking???? Join me on 9/15!!!

Congrats! If you don't mind sharing, when were you complete? Also did you receive this II today or earlier? That would be cool if they reviewed apps on the weekend!

Would you mind sharing when you were complete? :D

Do you think it would be a bad move not to attend the reception the night before interviews? I'd have to miss class and pay an extra $50 for the earlier flight

Do you think it would be a bad move not to attend the reception the night before interviews? I'd have to miss class and pay an extra $50 for the earlier flight
You'll be fine. Unless things have changed from last year, the reception is really just an opportunity to meet with current students/fellow applicants and to get some free food (usually pizza).

ok! And, having a II, what are my odds? Obviously better than anyone without a II but realistically should I be as excited as I am ?

ok! And, having a II, what are my odds? Obviously better than anyone without a II but realistically should I be as excited as I am ?

Just by the numbers, you're looking at about a 1 in 4 (3.80-ish; 26.3%) chance*. Marginally better if you're in-state. But still about twice as good than the ratio of interviews:applications received.

Take those odds and dominate. Good luck!

*source: US News & World Report subscription

The reception really is completely optional. I did not attend it on the night before my interview because I arrived late in the evening. It's mostly just an opportunity to chat with students and get free food, and is probably not worth $50.

Yes, you should be excited. First, just getting an II suggests that you're a competitive applicant - not just at HMS, but everywhere. Second, you get an opportunity to come to HMS and see some of the awesome stuff that we have going on. Third, there's no way to know whether you'll be in that 26.3% that gets accepted (the gods of admissions are a fickle bunch), so there's no point in second-guessing yourself. Be happy and proud, do your homework, and come knock your interview out of the park.

Reactions: 1 users
Just by the numbers, you're looking at about a 1 in 4 (3.80-ish; 26.3%) chance*. Marginally better if you're in-state. But still about twice as good than the ratio of interviews:applications received.

Take those odds and dominate. Good luck!

*source: US News & World Report subscription
I don't think state of residence really matters here at all (at least from what I have been told). That spike is likely from the students that attended some great undergrads in the region (our class has a very sizable portion that did undergrad at Harvard and a few MIT folks for example), and I don't think it necessarily indicates a preference for MA residents.

Last edited:
Unless I'm mistaken, neither Pathways nor HST offer rolling admissions.