-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Howard University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey y'all! I've been reading the thread and I have been truly encouraged. Glad to to see that I am not the only one waiting for an interview as well. I did email Ms. Walk and expressed interests so I'm waiting on reply. If you need to look up any email see https://www.howard.edu/directory/search/ most universities have search engines like this so it shouldn't be hard to find the email of faculty, staff, or students.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which Ms. Walk did you talk to? Ruth or JudithHey y'all! I've been reading the thread and I have been truly encouraged. Glad to to see that I am not the only one waiting for an interview as well. I did email Ms. Walk and expressed interests so I'm waiting on reply. If you need to look up any email see https://www.howard.edu/directory/search/ most universities have search engines like this so it shouldn't be hard to find the email of faculty, staff, or students.
Judith is the one who emailed.Which Ms. Walk did you talk to? Ruth or Judith
Any news for anyone yet? I thought things might pick up now that the Match is over with...
no news at all 🙁
rejected at 11am
Good luck to everyone else. Time to reapply and look at PhD programs.
Sorry to hear that. How did you hear back ? email or letter ? Did you interview ?rejected at 11am
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
email, no interview
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully better luck next cycle.email, no interview
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Mrs Walk said at the interview today she reveived more than 300 emails last week and she is having a hard time sorting through all of them.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Uh oh!Mrs Walk said at the interview today she reveived more than 300 emails last week and she is having a hard time sorting through all of them.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have the 2016 match list and willing to post it?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Mrs Walk said at the interview today she reveived more than 300 emails last week and she is having a hard time sorting through all of them.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
oh wow.
Mrs Walk said at the interview today she reveived more than 300 emails last week and she is having a hard time sorting through all of them.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I can't even stand to have my inbox to have 20 emails in it before I start archiving things...
300 emails is just insane.I can't even stand to have my inbox to have 20 emails in it before I start archiving things...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Mrs walk said we'll hear back before the 3rd week of april. Commitee meeting tomorrow. Some people may hear back earlier than that. My interviewer said she was going to drop off her report to the committee today. So yeah...to the people who interviewed today, what did they about hearing back post interview?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
We were shown the match list today after interview. Majority matches family medicine and internal medicine then general surgery, ortho surg some cardiothoracic surg. Overall a lot of specialties and some great schools in the mix too. More than90% match rate.Does anyone have the 2016 match list and willing to post it?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I actually applied MD/PhD to most schools this cycle but I applied really late, most schools had given out a majority of there MD/PhD interviews as they tend to finish up alot earlier than MD only. My application is really skewed towards doing an MD/PhD (4.5 years of 20 hours to full time research when June rolls around, 2 pubs, less than 150 hours clinical volunteering). Plan is to retake MCAT, reapply this summer early (submit apps first week), and then apply to PhD programs as a backup in case my second cycle doesn't go well.@Sorakaheals I'm sorry to hear that. [emoji17] do you mind if I ask why you're going to the phd route now?
Anyone else complete early October but still no news since the "Application Has Been Received/Screened" email?
Has anyone been rejected?
My secondary was received beginning of October, and I haven't heard word since about an interview. Is anyone in a similar position? I'm Canadian, GPA 3.8 and MCAT 510.
Me too and I submitted my secondary in September!!My secondary was received beginning of October, and I haven't heard word since about an interview. Is anyone in a similar position? I'm Canadian, GPA 3.8 and MCAT 510.
I feel like between the whole "we lost track of applications... Are you still interested?" email and their general lack of organization the later you applied the better re: the person who turned in their secondary the last day and got an interview... For most schools they would be at the bottom of the list regardless of stats because they go in order of receipt right?Me too and I submitted my secondary in September!!
Hmmm......one thing that I am noticing from many of the schools I applied to is that this process is "****OO"I feel like between the whole "we lost track of applications... Are you still interested?" email and their general lack of organization the later you applied the better re: the person who turned in their secondary the last day and got an interview... For most schools they would be at the bottom of the list regardless of stats because they go in order of receipt right?
Lol if I had to reapply, there's no way Howard would be on my list for next cycle. Their level of disorganization says a lot about the school. Just my opinion. Can't even answer the phone...Hmmm......one thing that I am noticing from many of the schools I applied to is that this process is "****OO"!!!! The admissions committee like what they like, from who they like. They are people. At least Howard is a "360 degree" program, they look at the whole person. It's nothing personal....there's only so many slots that can be filled. If we don't get anything this cycle, continue to show your interest by reapplying next cycle. Like I said, they are people and people respect effort.
![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
has anyone gone to Howard's open house?
@chocolate23 I was able to go to the open house last year. It's a pretty laid back tour and talk from the admissions office. Go if you can, it'll make writing letters of interest a lot easier.
I already wrote my letter of interest without going there but this was about 2 weeks ago when that email went out and I never got it. I still haven't heard back.
I want to go check it out but I don't know if it's worth the train ticket to go to DC just for an open house? I mean I want to go to see Howard, no joke because I am interested in this school, but I just wish I had more of an idea about what is going on with my app status or something.
Received an Out of Committee/Decision has been made email last Thursday. Interviewed January 13th, it's been a long time coming!
Received an Out of Committee/Decision has been made email last Thursday. Interviewed January 13th, it's been a long time coming!
omg...January 13th they are so behind....it's almost april!
This does not sound really comforting for people who just interviewedReceived an Out of Committee/Decision has been made email last Thursday. Interviewed January 13th, it's been a long time coming!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That's awesome! I received mine on 3/10. Hopefully, they give me the heads up to call them soon.Received an Out of Committee/Decision has been made email last Thursday. Interviewed January 13th, it's been a long time coming!
I received one as wellReceived an Out of Committee/Decision has been made email last Thursday. Interviewed January 13th, it's been a long time coming!
Interviewed Feb. 29th
wouldn't they want everyone to know before april 30th when applicants have to choose one school?
I think that's the plan because we were told we were gonna hear back hopefully before the third week of april.wouldn't they want everyone to know before april 30th when applicants have to choose one school?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That makes sense. Mrs Walk said they had like 19 people to review on march 24th so I guess that's what it was. She said that sometimes the committee may spend more time talking about a student (up to a hour) which can slow down the review process. I think their comitte meets every thursday.I received one as well
Interviewed Feb. 29th
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That makes sense. Mrs Walk said they had like 19 people to review on march 24th so I guess that's what it was. She said that sometimes the committee may spend more time talking about a student (up to a hour) which can slow down the review process. I think their comitte meets every thursday.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
o ok so they are trying to catch up...thats good to know
I also dont think the committee is that big (or at least the members that select). Ms. Walk said they meet in the room that the interviewees meet during our interview day. Thats not a very big room.
I wasn't saying they were 19 people to review. Read what I wrote. I meant 19 applicants that had to ideally be reviewed that day not 19 committee members.I also dont think the committee is that big (or at least the members that select). Ms. Walk said they meet in the room that the interviewees meet during our interview day. Thats not a very big room.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I wasn't saying they were 19 people to review. Read what I wrote. I meant 19 applicants that had to ideally be reviewed that day not 19 committee members.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I wasnt responding to you. I was adding that to people who were saying the process has been slow. I was giving another reason why I think its been slow. If I wanted to respond to you I would have MENTIONED you. understand?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I started a new thread "Howard c/o 2020" for accepted students to share information about deadlines, housing, or whatever. Have at it!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/howard-university-c-o-2020.1190982/#post-17579502
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/howard-university-c-o-2020.1190982/#post-17579502
I already wrote my letter of interest without going there but this was about 2 weeks ago when that email went out and I never got it. I still haven't heard back.
I want to go check it out but I don't know if it's worth the train ticket to go to DC just for an open house? I mean I want to go to see Howard, no joke because I am interested in this school, but I just wish I had more of an idea about what is going on with my app status or something.
If you want to get an update on your app status, I'm not sure if going to the open house is the best way... but it might be a good way to get them to look at your app again. From what I remember they had a sign up sheet where you could indicate if you were a current applicant, but I don't know if they're doing that this year.
If you want to get an update on your app status, I'm not sure if going to the open house is the best way... but it might be a good way to get them to look at your app again. From what I remember they had a sign up sheet where you could indicate if you were a current applicant, but I don't know if they're doing that this year.
I agree with you on that. I wish I could get my app status but I doubt an open house would be the best place I could.
I want to go to the open house to check out the school, to get to know more about Howard and stuff - but the only thing that is stopping me is the cost of getting there. I wish I had some good news so I could somehow convince myself it is worth it to go (with the amount of money I have to spend to get there)
complete: sept 2015
II: 1/20
Interview: 2/10
Accepted: 3/29
II: 1/20
Interview: 2/10
Accepted: 3/29
congrats!complete: sept 2015
II: 1/20
Interview: 2/10
Accepted: 3/29
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K