2015-2016 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received my acceptance via email. I interviewed 3/22 and received my OOC May 6. Since I live in Texas I pestered ms walk and ms jones with a weekly email and phone call.
Oh okay gacha. Thank you!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Application starts with AMCAS. Once you've completed that you will receive secondaries from schools you selected through AMCAS, and more individualized instructions will be given for each school. Howard website includes information about the number and quality of references required and may include information about successful applicants from previous years.

Thank you, your information is greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
I've pretty much given up hope on getting into my top choice, Howard, so I'm withdrawing my application tomorrow. I hope it goes to one of you! I was in the exact same position as a lot of you and howard was my last chance. I got waitlisted and never got off the list. This year I've received two acceptances and a scholarship. All things are possible! Here's to one of you all getting pushed forward and taking the last spots :happy::xf:

Reactions: 7 users
Basically it talked about an update and what's gonna happen with the 3-5 spots

Yea it made it sound kinda bleak lol but no one should lose hope though, anything can happen

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I received my acceptance via email. I interviewed 3/22 and received my OOC May 6. Since I live in Texas I pestered ms walk and ms jones with a weekly email and phone call.
Hey!:) If you don't mind me asking, what was your cumulative GPA and MCAT score? Also, did you send them any updates or a letter of intent or anything like that after your interview? Thanks again for all your help! :D

I never received a rejection letter from Howard. They completely ignored me this cycle :(

How long does it take to receive the hard copy acceptance letter

yup... like 3 weeks

make sure to send in your deposit and email ms walk accepting the offer!

dont use USPS when sending the two deposits!! i did that and it took an extra 2 weeks smh

yup... like 3 weeks

make sure to send in your deposit and email ms walk accepting the offer!

dont use USPS when sending the two deposits!! i did that and it took an extra 2 weeks smh
What address did you send it to

When is the first day of orientation...anybody know? :)

Last edited:
Anyone know what/where the schedule is for orientation (what is done every day, what time it ends each day, etc.)?
Also what about attire for the week?
Finally, lap top specs or supplies needed from day one?
Thanks

Anyone know what/where the schedule is for orientation (what is done every day, what time it ends each day, etc.)?
Also what about attire for the week?
Finally, lap top specs or supplies needed from day one?
Thanks

They haven't released the schedule of activities. All we know know is to be there by 8:00 am on July 13th. A lot of the discussions regarding laptop specs and supplies can be answered by upperclassmen on the Facebook group page. If you don't have a Facebook account they strongly suggest you make one since it is the primary mode of information sharing between students.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/266...if_t=group_activity&notif_id=1467118937784868

are they even still accepting students?
I wonder the same thing. Has anyone who was on the waitlist heard anything at all? They said they would most likely accept 3-5 students from the waitlist but I wonder if that has happened already...

They haven't released the schedule of activities. All we know know is to be there by 8:00 am on July 13th. A lot of the discussions regarding laptop specs and supplies can be answered by upperclassmen on the Facebook group page. If you don't have a Facebook account they strongly suggest you make one since it is the primary mode of information sharing between students.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/266...if_t=group_activity&notif_id=1467118937784868
Thank you Anneal_tempo60. Will try and access Facebook. Mainly wanting to know if there's a dress code and find out specs for laptop. Is this information not mailed out at all? Facebook I think is student run and lots of people are wanting to hear from the administration directly.

I wonder the same thing. Has anyone who was on the waitlist heard anything at all? They said they would most likely accept 3-5 students from the waitlist but I wonder if that has happened already...
yeah I am wondering the exact same thing

Thank you Anneal_tempo60. Will try and access Facebook. Mainly wanting to know if there's a dress code and find out specs for laptop. Is this information not mailed out at all? Facebook I think is student run and lots of people are wanting to hear from the administration directly.

Yeah it has been tough getting info but I don't think there is a dress code f0r orientation (maybe you can do business casual just to be safe). I know you want to hear from the administration, but I can tell you that laptop specs and other useful information has been provided by the upperclassmen (class liaisons) and discussed on the facebook group. it seems like the administration relies on the class liaisons a lot to give us pertinent formal and informal information.

does anyone know what is the best way to send in the acceptance letter and deposit and also does anyone know if there is a white coat ceremony and when?

Reactions: 5 users
does anyone know what is the best way to send in the acceptance letter and deposit and also does anyone know if there is a white coat ceremony and when?

Were you recently accepted off the wait list? If so, congratulations! Hopefully there are more to come

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Best way to send acceptance letter and deposit is through fedex. If you use expedited USPS they won't get it until after 2 weeks cuz it goes to the main admission office. With fedex they'll get it the next day. There is a "small" white coat ceremony scheduled for July 22... I don't know what they mean by small lol. They sent out an email about a tentative schedule for the first semester. I can forward it to you if you want. And congrats on finally getting in.

Best way to send acceptance letter and deposit is through fedex. If you use expedited USPS they won't get it until after 2 weeks cuz it goes to the main admission office. With fedex they'll get it the next day. There is a "small" white coat ceremony scheduled for July 22... I don't know what they mean by small lol. They sent out an email about a tentative schedule for the first semester. I can forward it to you if you want. And congrats on finally getting in.

I think it's called small because when you get matched, they give you a long white coat, and I think when you enter med school it's a small white coat.
Thank you! I am excited! I will message you my email address

Reactions: 1 user
is there an accepted HUCM class of 2020 group on here where we can discuss housing and so forth? thanks!

I am not accepted into the group yet.

Oh ok, you'll be accepted once your deposits are accepted. In the meantime, you can try looking for studios within the area or pm me so I can post on your behalf.

Oh ok, you'll be accepted once your deposits are accepted. In the meantime, you can try looking for studios within the area or pm me so I can post on your behalf.

I was looking at Howard plaza for studios but not sure if they have anything available. I'll call tomorrow and ask. Do you know what area I should be looking for apartments in? Thanks for all your help!

I was looking at Howard plaza for studios but not sure if they have anything available. I'll call tomorrow and ask. Do you know what area I should be looking for apartments in? Thanks for all your help!

If closeness to the school is what you're looking for, try exploring properties around the Columbia Heights, Bloomingdale, and Eckington neighborhoods. If you don't mind having a slightly longer commute for a much cheaper price, then look for places around Silver Spring MD, Hyattsville MD, Arlington VA, or less afluent parts of DC like SW or SE (Try to keep it north of the Anacostia River). You're welcome and congrats on your acceptance! I was really hoping you would get in after reading your posts.

If you can find roommates, Summit Hills apartment complex in Silver Spring MD is probably the best deal. It's ~25 minute commute and the price per person is usually <$750. But whatever you do, avoid the on-campus housing. Several students on the page who did their undergrad at Howard warned us about the presence of pests in the living spaces.

I think on campus housing is hit or miss. My cousin (dental) stayed on campus 2 years and said there were no issues, and it was great to have a 3 minute walk to the dental building and have everything in place (especially coming from out of town and not knowing the area at all). In fact, I think she roomed with a medical school student. She said it was old and there were only the basics (small kitchen, bathroom in their suite and just a bed, dresser and desk in her room) but there was no paying for cable or utilities and she was able to get underground parking when she brought her car later (and said she used the car only to drive 8+ hours home on break as the metro and bus in DC were all she needed). She is not fussy but also was lucky to not have a suite with 'creatures'. She started dental school at 21 so had no problems still being in a dorm, so that probably makes a difference too.
Where are the summer PARP program medical students staying?

Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Should the secondary be in the first comment? I'm a little confused. I see that all of threads say that this space is reserved for secondaries, but I haven't seen any. I am wondering if I am looking in the wrong place. Thanks!

Should the secondary be in the first comment? I'm a little confused. I see that all of threads say that this space is reserved for secondaries, but I haven't seen any. I am wondering if I am looking in the wrong place. Thanks!

The first post has instructions to PM or tag or somehow alert me or a mod when the secondary has been released. The mods don't have the time to be monitoring 150 threads to see when someone posts each secondary, so if no one alerts us, the initial post won't be edited to include the secondary.

You are in last cycle's thread. The 2016-2017 threads can be found here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/2016-2017-allopathic-school-specific-discussions.974/

Any current student or anybody else here subletting a room or know of someone renting a room just for the summer. I am moving to DC for an internship and will be there till the end of August. Please , let me know...I would be very grateful. On a side note, Congrats to those who got accepted to Howard or any other med school!!

Any current student or anybody else here subletting a room or know of someone renting a room just for the summer. I am moving to DC for an internship and will be there till the end of August. Please , let me know...I would be very grateful. On a side note, Congrats to those who got accepted to Howard or any other med school!!
When would you need the room? I will most likely be subletting my room for August in a beautiful Condo in NW DC to go to Cali for work. PM me if interested

Can anyone confirm if the questions posted below are the questions for this year?

• Is any member of your family currently or previously associated with Howard University College of Medicine? (employee, graduate, etc)
  • Is any member of your family currently or previously associated with Howard University (any school or college)?
  • I have lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged. Yes: No: If yes, please explain/describe briefly:
  • After residency, I plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community. Yes: No: If yes, please explain/describe briefly:
  • I have worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations Yes: No: If yes, please explain/describe briefly:
  • I am self-described as a Native American. If yes, please attach your Certificate of Tribal Affiliation.

how long did most ppl make their essays?

Last edited: