2015-2016 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

Started by claduva94
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I was considering calling but I feel very intrusive since the LOR receipt email said not to call. They were pretty nice when you called before?
I think it just said to not call about the status of your application. You can call and ask if there are any interview invites still being given out and if they've extended the interview date beyond Dec. 21. Then that wouldn't violate what they wrote in the email. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Omg I am such a weeny! I called, went to voicemail, panicked and hung up. Did any of you who called leave a message? I thought it would be very demanding to ask for a call back lol!
 
I also just received the rejection email. Glad to finally hear something. Good luck to those still in the running!
 
Not selected as well. It was a long ride on this page, but I wish everyone still standing a great cycle with Mayo and a wonderful holidays!

Complete 7/17
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also joining the rejection train! It's a bummer, but nice to finally get closure after waiting for so long! LOR received 7/14.
Good luck to everyone else still in the running!
 
Not Selected as well.

Also, I emailed them today and their last interview date is next Monday, 12/21. They were most likely down to the last 40-50 applicants for those last few interview slots next week, and they interview about 250 I think. So take comfort in the fact that we were in the top ~300 applicants for Mayo this year! 😉
 
Joining the rejection train. Received the "Not Selected" email yesterday afternoon. LORs received 7/30.

Sad that I won't be able to visit Mayo. I take the long wait as a sign that Mayo must have liked our apps enough not to quickly reject us after our LORs were sent in.

Anyways, good luck to the few (if any) who are still in the running!
 
Do you guys know how long it usually takes to get ranked? Looking back, I see a few people finding out within a couple of weeks, but I interviewed late November and haven't heard anything back yet.
 
anyone else witnessing their productivity go to zilch throughout this process? I'm shocked at just how slow I've managed to get at work/in life. Unbelievable. Can't wait to get back to speed. Maybe it's the holidays, too. Who knows? (she says, procrastinating on SDN instead of tending to the massive to-do list. Winning).
 
anyone else witnessing their productivity go to zilch throughout this process? I'm shocked at just how slow I've managed to get at work/in life. Unbelievable. Can't wait to get back to speed. Maybe it's the holidays, too. Who knows? (she says, procrastinating on SDN instead of tending to the massive to-do list. Winning).
i feel ya. all the above reasons PLUS seeing star wars the other day has led me to go insane trying to figure out who ___'s ______ is.
 
So I've known for a while that Mayo was my top choice--is it still too soon for letters of intent?

I've been rejected from other schools that would have been more serious competition for my heart so I know that I would follow through on my letter of intent here. I've also been accepted at another (lower ranked) school, which I liked but not nearly as much as Mayo. Is it time to write a letter of intent yet? It seems to me that it would be advantageous to write one before accept/reject/wait-list decisions are made. Anyone have mayo specific advice about letters of intent and timing? I have been on hold since October 20th. I wrote them an update (new pub)/interest letter mid-october.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've known for a while that Mayo was my top choice--is it still too soon for letters of intent?

I've been rejected from other schools that would have been more serious competition for my heart so I know that I would follow through on my letter of intent here. I've also been accepted at another (lower ranked) school, which I liked but not nearly as much as Mayo. Is it time to write a letter of intent yet? It seems to me that it would be advantageous to write one before accept/reject/wait-list decisions are made. Anyone have mayo specific advice about letters of intent and timing? I have been on hold since October 20th. I wrote them an update (new pub)/interest letter mid-october.

+1 I'm wondering the same as well...I sent them an update a few weeks ago and touched on how Mayo was my top choice but didn't really elaborate on it though because I was planning to in a separate LOI email but I'm also wondering what would be the proper timing to send it.
 
I was going to wait to see if I am WL or rejected before I send anything. At this point we have been ranked so the Jan 15 decision probably won't change. Just my 2cents. After that they seemed to indicate at the interview that LOI were definitely encouraged.
 
I was going to wait to see if I am WL or rejected before I send anything. At this point we have been ranked so the Jan 15 decision probably won't change. Just my 2cents. After that they seemed to indicate at the interview that LOI were definitely encouraged.

Is the January date definitely the 15th?
 
+1 I'm wondering the same as well...I sent them an update a few weeks ago and touched on how Mayo was my top choice but didn't really elaborate on it though because I was planning to in a separate LOI email but I'm also wondering what would be the proper timing to send it.
Is the January date definitely the 15th?
I wrote down Jan 15th as decision day in my notes from interview day, though possibly it has changed since then.
 
I was going to wait to see if I am WL or rejected before I send anything. At this point we have been ranked so the Jan 15 decision probably won't change. Just my 2cents. After that they seemed to indicate at the interview that LOI were definitely encouraged.

This is what I was planning to do as well.
 
Don't remember January 15th being mentioned at my interview (may have missed it?), but taking a look at some of the past threads it seems as though the third week of January is when people on hold heard about acceptances, wait list, etc. Good luck to everyone!
 
So what you're telling me is: if you have an update, send it now. 😛


LOL, hadn't thought of it quite like that, but perhaps. I plan on sending something after the appointment/waitlist/rejects go out. I figure if I'm rejected, no update would save me, and if I'm appointed, an update won't help me (since I've been ranked already), but if I'm on the waitlist, perhaps an update/LOI might help get an acceptance off the waitlist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL, hadn't thought of it quite like that, but perhaps. I plan on sending something after the appointment/waitlist/rejects go out. I figure if I'm rejected, no update would save me, and if I'm appointed, an update won't help me (since I've been ranked already), but if I'm on the waitlist, perhaps an update/LOI might help get an acceptance off the waitlist.
I agree that is my plan too. Wait and see.
 
LOL, hadn't thought of it quite like that, but perhaps. I plan on sending something after the appointment/waitlist/rejects go out. I figure if I'm rejected, no update would save me, and if I'm appointed, an update won't help me (since I've been ranked already), but if I'm on the waitlist, perhaps an update/LOI might help get an acceptance off the waitlist.
Ahhh, makes sense. I've been on hold since October, so I think I'll send a quick update to "ensure" they're revisit my file. 😛 The update isn't massive enough to get me off a waitlist...or maybe it is?
 
So what you're telling me is: if you have an update, send it now. 😛
I sent an LOI/update last night... hopefully it will give me a little boost before decisions are made. They did say during the interview day that the ranking is not final so updates can be influential. I also just wanted to get my feeling for Mayo off my chest😍. PLEASE LOVE ME BACK MAYO !!!!
 
Yes I think it would be "beneficial" to send an update sometime this week/end. I doubt the LOI's have any play until after the waitlist comes out though.
 
From what I remember from my interview day was the impression that if you are on the wait list and they see that you've remained interested in Mayo, you are more likely to get accepted should the need arise. They said that the wait list is not ranked so they just pull people off it.