2015-2016 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRedstone

PGY-3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are the current secondary questions for this year's application.

The 2014-2015 thread can be found here.

Stumble here during the 2016-2017 application cycle? You're looking for this thread.

Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply. (max 2000 characters)

Please outline how you might add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine. This could reference specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc. (max 2000 characters)

For Reapplicants: In the space provided below, please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief application history (including when you first applied and the number of application attempts). Please describe in detail the ways in which this application is superior to your previous application(s). (max 3000 characters)

Best of luck to all applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
Does anyone know how Mizzou defines "strong ties with the state of Missouri"? I'm oos but graduated from the u of m system and have worked as an employee in mo. Would love anyone's input!

It seems like you have strong ties to me. It only takes a year of living in the state and a $2000 annual income to become a resident (or it used to, this is the last year that the undergrad program is accepting this as a way to get instate tuition, not sure how it will affect the med school). So if you have lived here for more than a year and you've worked here, it seems like your about as close to being a resident as you can be without making it official.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
lakjks, sounds like close ties to me for someone originally OOS. Did you work in-state for more than a year after graduating? I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but I attended a small liberal arts college in southwest Missouri, graduated in 2013, and have lived and worked here ever since, making Missouri my established domicile.

Last edited:
lakjks, sounds like close ties to me for someone originally OOS. Did you work in-state for more than a year after graduating? I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but I attended a small liberal arts college in southwest Missouri, graduated in 2013, and have lived and worked here ever since, making Missouri my established domicile.

Hey! I actually worked for my university while in school so i don't know if that will count since it was related to the university. It wasn't work study. I did work for 2 years though. I think it should be fine, but we shall we. haha.

Hey! I actually worked for my university while in school so i don't know if that will count since it was related to the university. It wasn't work study. I did work for 2 years though. I think it should be fine, but we shall we. haha.

There's no doubt that you have close-ties to the state, seeing as you're an alum. You're going to be fine!

If I got into this school.....:soexcited::soexcited:

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten a secondary from this school yet?

Issue resolved. Just have to reply to the email. Apparently they are having a computer application error.

Last edited:
What.... I just received a rejection for a secondary invite because I dont have a MCAT score higher than a 22?

What...my MCAT is way higher than a 22.

Did anyone else get this?
No, I haven't heard anything from them so far :/ But I'd definitely suggest emailing or calling to sort that out! I've heard that schools are generally really nice and helpful when you call!

I just received a form for OOS students to fill out, to explain ties to Missouri. Oddly enough it's a PDF that I need to physically mail. I'll have to figure out how to type over the PDF as well; certainly they wouldn't want this handwritten… would they?

I just received a form for OOS students to fill out, to explain ties to Missouri. Oddly enough it's a PDF that I need to physically mail. I'll have to figure out how to type over the PDF as well; certainly they wouldn't want this handwritten… would they?
When I opened the PDF I was automatically able to type in the boxes but it might depend on the computer you're on. I'm pretty sure it specifies on the form that you should email it to them so I wouldn't worry about mailing it in.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I opened the PDF I was automatically able to type in the boxes but it might depend on the computer you're on. I'm pretty sure it specifies on the form that you should email it to them so I wouldn't worry about mailing it in.
I hadn't even open the PDF yet when I posted; you are correct! Silly me.

I am an in state applicant and I still have not received a secondary :(

I just received my secondary application invitation. My primary was submitted the first day.

I just received my secondary application invitation. My primary was submitted the first day.

I really hope the error they made with my application wont make my application go to the back of the line. I submitted my primary the first day as well

I submitted my AMCAS 6/12 and it was verified on 7/2. I am glad that I am not the only one!

If you're waiting on a secondary, I would recommend just sending the admissions office an email. I did so yesterday morning, and I received a response and my secondary within 10 minutes.

Man not that much action in this thread... did many sdners even apply here? Or maybe they havent been giving out secondaries all at once?

Man not that much action in this thread... did many sdners even apply here? Or maybe they havent been giving out secondaries all at once?

You finish the app? Did you do the "extra info" section?

I am technically still on the waitlist for Mizzou until the 27th of July, but yes, this is a reapplication for me.
Yes, in the same boat as you. Have you found out any information about where they are on the waitlist? I know there is almost zero chance of acceptance at this point, but I kind of want to know how close I am hahaha even though it will just bring agony.

Just got an email saying they received my OOS Applicant Form - has anyone applying OOS who submitted this form heard back from them yet?

Just got an email saying they received my OOS Applicant Form - has anyone applying OOS who submitted this form heard back from them yet?
I received the same email this morning.

Incoming M1 who was accepted 3 days after interview last year and with pretty low GPA and everything. Feel free to ask me questions about MU or for help or anything :)

Incoming M1 who was accepted 3 days after interview last year and with pretty low GPA and everything. Feel free to ask me questions about MU or for help or anything :)

What did you say in your interview?! They must have liked you!

Did you have Missouri ties? IS?

What did you say in your interview?! They must have liked you!

Did you have Missouri ties? IS?

Haha, I guess so, and I liked them a lot too! Yes I'm IS. What did I say? Well, it was two 1-hour long interviews. So I said quite a bit...

Haha, I guess so, and I liked them a lot too! Yes I'm IS. What did I say? Well, it was two 1-hour long interviews. So I said quite a bit...
Haha yeah I'm kidding. Congrats! I'm hoping I can end up there. I grew up in Southern MO and my wife is from St. Louis. Needless to say I feel like I'm IS.

For out of staters, how long after submitting the OOS form did you get secondary? Also if they send you a secondary after receiving OOS form does that mean they're considering you? I know they have low applicant numbers

For out of staters, how long after submitting the OOS form did you get secondary? Also if they send you a secondary after receiving OOS form does that mean they're considering you? I know they have low applicant numbers
I still haven't received a secondary. I submitted my OOS letter quite a while ago (2weeks?)

They said they'd reply within 14 days, which is Monday for me. I haven't heard back yet so I'm hoping to have an email from them Monday!

Yeesh... looks like they take their time with things lol

OOS received secondary application this morning.

Hey!
Would you be able to post the secondary questions? Thank you so much.
They are the same as the ones listed in the first post in this thread.

Hey!
Would you be able to post the secondary questions? Thank you so much.
I double checked them when I got my secondary application. They should be up to date.

Sent my OOS form on July 30th, got an email saying they received it today (08/05)

Question about ties to Missouri: I spent a good portion of my childhood in Camdenton and Montreal (near Lake of the Ozarks) and remember a lot about the state, rural communities, and especially how my family finally came together in Missouri (my parents had to be separated because my mom was finishing residency in Chicago, whereas my dad got his first job in Missouri). Would this qualify as strong ties?

Question about ties to Missouri: I spent a good portion of my childhood in Camdenton and Montreal (near Lake of the Ozarks) and remember a lot about the state, rural communities, and especially how my family finally came together in Missouri (my parents had to be separated because my mom was finishing residency in Chicago, whereas my dad got his first job in Missouri). Would this qualify as strong ties?
It's worth a shot. They have a form you have to submit as an OOS applicant before you get the secondary. So, you won't waste time/money submitting a secondary if they aren't going to consider you. Worst case is that you are out the money submitting the primary.

I got an email after submitting the secondary and sending payment that they had received my payment, etc. but that my file was still not complete. Since I haven't received an email about needing to send anything additional can I just assume this will be resolved when they download my letters from AMCAS? Or should I call the admissions office?

It's worth a shot. They have a form you have to submit as an OOS applicant before you get the secondary. So, you won't waste time/money submitting a secondary if they aren't going to consider you. Worst case is that you are out the money submitting the primary.

If you feel like you can honestly say that your experience in MO makes you an applicant willing to stick around and serve the community throughout your career then that will probably be something they would appreciate. I say go for it.

Thanks for the advice! I loved Missouri, so hopefully I can convey that sentiment in my OOS form.

It has been exactly 14 days since I turned in my OOS form and received confirmation (so this might be a little premature). Did it take longer than 2 weeks to hear back about a secondary for anyone?

Edit: Secondary came on day 16 if anyone was wondering

Last edited: