2015-2016 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an email about 20 min ago placing me on the alternate list. I will let you guys know as I hear more. I'm IS traditional. Fingers crossed!

Update: Bottom third. Hopefully it reaches there like last year!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Middle third. Guess I'll get to sit on my hands and wait all summer long! Here's to hoping there is a repeat of last year. :p

Well, put on alternate list. Considering how horribly my MD application cycle has gone, I can't say I'm too surprised. I'm willing to bet my entire bank account that I'm in the bottom 3rd.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email about 20 min ago placing me on the alternate list. I will let you guys know as I hear more. I'm IS traditional. Fingers crossed!

Update: Bottom third. Hopefully it reaches there like last year!
Good luck! What are your stats? I'm applying the next cycle.

Hey guys. First time poster. Was told yesterday that I'm on the top 1/3 of the waitlist. the top 1/3 has had some luck getting in in the past right? My interview was a while ago so the details are a little fuzzy right now.

Hey guys. First time poster. Was told yesterday that I'm on the top 1/3 of the waitlist. the top 1/3 has had some luck getting in in the past right? My interview was a while ago so the details are a little fuzzy right now.
stats?

You're basically golden in the top third. Almost as good as an acceptance. The 2nd third, where I am, is where it's more of a coin flip.

Just curious, what is the time stamp on the email you got yesterday announcing you were on the waitlist?

First time posting, really hate the idea of this forum but i decided to jump in anyways. Placed on wait-list (BEEN WAITING SINCE NOV 7th haha). Emailed on friday to see where I stand, no response yet, not sure if that means that they're covered up with emails or if there has been movement in the list and they're waiting to to give a more concrete answer. To all waitlisted, at least we're on a very active one!

I emailed Friday to see where I was on the waitlist. No response yet. I'm assuming they are swamped with similar emails

I've been stalking this thread for quite sometime now. I plan on applying to MU in June, but I am a bit nervous about it in light of some information I received from a friend. She told me that there is no point in applying here unless you have a ridiculous amount of clinical experience. Now, of course clinical experience is important in medical school admission. However, my friend seemed to believe that you needed to have hundreds of hours spread over two or three years. I was wondering if any of those accepted or waitlisted could weigh in on this? I think she is just bitter about getting rejected last cycle, but nevertheless, any insight would be great.

I've been stalking this thread for quite sometime now. I plan on applying to MU in June, but I am a bit nervous about it in light of some information I received from a friend. She told me that there is no point in applying here unless you have a ridiculous amount of clinical experience. Now, of course clinical experience is important in medical school admission. However, my friend seemed to believe that you needed to have hundreds of hours spread over two or three years. I was wondering if any of those accepted or waitlisted could weigh in on this? I think she is just bitter about getting rejected last cycle, but nevertheless, any insight would be great.

Hi, I think this is a great question, one that people are frequently confused about. Just so you don't have to go back through the thread searching, here is a summary of my grades/scores/experience. I'm an IS applicant, I applied last year and was rejected (not even waitlisted), reapplied this year and was accepted early on in the cycle, I had 3.96 undergrad GPA, I'm in the process of getting a masters degree (through Mizzou) and I have a 4.0 in that program, 28 MCAT (did not take the new MCAT). So overall, I don't have the most impressive background, but I do have a high GPA, and I was heavily involved in organizations during undergrad and held multiple officer positions.

All of that being said, I did not have a ton of clinical experience or even shadowing. I volunteered at my school's student health center for one semester, and I tutored in various subjects. That's pretty much it, so not super impressive. I think Mizzou says they value clinical experience so much because what they really want is a "good fit" for their school. They're all about best fit and how you will work in a group. This is important since they have the PBL style, and often times clinical experience is helpful in PBL sessions. I tried my best to illustrate my group experience and show that what little clinical experience I had gotten, had really helped me solidify my decision to become a physician. I also had "good reasons," for lack of a better term, for why I did not have hundreds of hours of clinical experience. So I believe even with very little experience you can get accepted, I did after all, but you need to be ready to explain why you don't have as much experience as some, how the experience you do have has impacted you, and how you will be a good fit for the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey good luck to those waiting on the alternate list

Last edited:
I am looking for a roommate to share a 2br/2ba apartment. If anyone needs a roommate, please message me, Thanks!

Hi all. New poster :)

I recently found out I'm in the top 1/3 of Mizzou's waitlist, and thought I'd ask if any of you lovely folks had info on either of two points:

1. The chances of an actual acceptance for someone in this position: I understand it varies quite a bit from class to class, but . . . has there ever been a year in which the top 1/3 of the waitlist WASN'T ultimately admitted? And how looooong will I have to wait???

2. The housing situation: Maybe a bit premature here but, well, optimism is essential. Any information about what living quarters tend to be popular with med students, and what's available close to campus (not a huge driver) is greatly appreciated. Or, if anyone's looking for a responsible roommate (female, quiet, bit of a neat freak personally but tolerant of mess), please message me. :) ...I hate to wait until summer, finally get in, and then not have a place to live!

3. Anyone else out there in a similar position? This forum seems like it has been kind of quiet for a little while!

Best of luck to everyone else out there waiting... here's hoping the agony ends soon!!

Hi all. New poster :)

I recently found out I'm in the top 1/3 of Mizzou's waitlist, and thought I'd ask if any of you lovely folks had info on either of two points:

1. The chances of an actual acceptance for someone in this position: I understand it varies quite a bit from class to class, but . . . has there ever been a year in which the top 1/3 of the waitlist WASN'T ultimately admitted? And how looooong will I have to wait???

2. The housing situation: Maybe a bit premature here but, well, optimism is essential. Any information about what living quarters tend to be popular with med students, and what's available close to campus (not a huge driver) is greatly appreciated. Or, if anyone's looking for a responsible roommate (female, quiet, bit of a neat freak personally but tolerant of mess), please message me. :) ...I hate to wait until summer, finally get in, and then not have a place to live!

3. Anyone else out there in a similar position? This forum seems like it has been kind of quiet for a little while!

Best of luck to everyone else out there waiting... here's hoping the agony ends soon!!
do u mind sharing stats? I will also be applying here soon

Does anyone know an ETA for financial aid awards? I believe it's sometime in April, but I was wondering if anyone has heard a more specific time frame.

Does anyone know an ETA for financial aid awards? I believe it's sometime in April, but I was wondering if anyone has heard a more specific time frame.

April 15th according to a recent email from financial aid

Has anybody had any luck here applying OOS without strong ties to Missouri??

It's April 15th! Did anyone get their financial aid awards yet?

It's April 15th! Did anyone get their financial aid awards yet?
I got it yesterday. I was able to see some of my package by logging into myzou a few days ago. I'm sure you will get it soon if you haven't yet.

I got it yesterday. I was able to see some of my package by logging into myzou a few days ago. I'm sure you will get it soon if you haven't yet.
I don't know that I ever received MyZou info either. When did that come?

any other waitlist movement here yet? i know most will occur after april 30th but i still can't stop wondering...

I was recently accepted off the wait list and am thinking the in-state tuition may be tough to pass up. Is there a Facebook page? Or is there anybody still looking for a roommate?

EDIT: Never mind, emails got put in my "Clutter" folder

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything today about the wait list moving?

Got accepted yesterday from the middle third of the waitlist! Very excited, but don't know where to start now as I accepted a place at AT Still - KCOM previous to this.

Sadly I wasn't accepted this year. I will be reapplying with a fresh MCAT score and nearly 1000 new clinical hours. Congratulations to everyone who was accepted/will be accepted off the waitlist!