2015-2016 University of Texas - Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have this concern as well. I planned to ask about their plan for this extensively at second look in February. However, something the faculty hammered on throughout interview day was that they plan to be in good communication with their students. Since this is the first class and they are trying out some new ideas, they have stated that they will be very receptive to feedback. I for one will not hesitate to vocalize my concerns if I am beginning to become burned out.

In talking with students from UTSW, they stated that some changes were made to the curriculum to alleviate stress on the students based off of student feedback. I imagine that this will be the case for Dell as well. Something else to consider is that Dell is going to be very invested in the inaugural class. At least partially, their success and reputation is based on how well their first students handle med school and go on to residencies. I'm not saying it won't be bumpy while they figure everything out, but they will certainly make changes for the better to ensure that we are happy and successful.

I agree with thinking the faculty will do everything in their power to make things run smoothly, it's then only a matter of how much they can actually change once the year begins.

I wasn't pre matched to Dell but have been seriously considering ranking it #1 to see what happens. Do you think they will participate in the match or do you think "rolling admissions" means you will match to your lower choice schools and then they will call you with an acceptance from the Dean shortly after? I don't know why but I feel like Dell wouldn't let you just find out you got accepted from a TMDSAS notification.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with thinking the faculty will do everything in their power to make things run smoothly, it's then only a matter of how much they can actually change once the year begins.

I wasn't pre matched to Dell but have been seriously considering ranking it #1 to see what happens. Do you think they will participate in the match or do you think "rolling admissions" means you will match to your lower choice schools and then they will call you with an acceptance from the Dean shortly after? I don't know why but I feel like Dell wouldn't let you just find out you got accepted from a TMDSAS notification.

Never mind, the websites makes it sound like they will participate in match and accepted students will be notified on February 1st.
http://dellmedschool.utexas.edu/faq/admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
All public Texas schools have to take part in the Match.

I realize that, I was just thinking they might be like UTSW which very rarely accepts people from the match. It was erroneous of me though because they haven't accepted enough students to fill the class yet so that would be impossible.

I have this concern as well. I planned to ask about their plan for this extensively at second look in February. However, something the faculty hammered on throughout interview day was that they plan to be in good communication with their students. Since this is the first class and they are trying out some new ideas, they have stated that they will be very receptive to feedback. I for one will not hesitate to vocalize my concerns if I am beginning to become burned out.

In talking with students from UTSW, they stated that some changes were made to the curriculum to alleviate stress on the students based off of student feedback. I imagine that this will be the case for Dell as well. Something else to consider is that Dell is going to be very invested in the inaugural class. At least partially, their success and reputation is based on how well their first students handle med school and go on to residencies. I'm not saying it won't be bumpy while they figure everything out, but they will certainly make changes for the better to ensure that we are happy and successful.

I went to one of the events Dell has had for accepted students and one of the faculty mentioned a summer break after MS1. He said it would be like a 1 or 2 week break, couldn't remember which, but this alleviated my concerns a bit. After that I've looked over the curriculum several times and am not sure exactly how they're fitting it in there, but he was certain there is some sort of break, although small, after MS1. I'm thinking maybe the assessment at the end of MS1 and the Milestone at the beginning of MS2 aren't as expansive as they seem and allow for some small break in between them. (http://dellmedschool.utexas.edu/sit...medical_school_curriculum_overview_062415.pdf ) In looking over Duke's curriculum, I wonder if Dell will do something similar after blocks, maybe not an entire week off but a few days as a breather, and it's just not shown as clearly as in the pdf Duke puts out.

Regardless of how exactly they do it, one thing that has been made abundantly clear to me is Dell's emphasis on student wellness. This is a huge priority for them so I imagine if something is not working or could be better, they will be quick to alter it for our sake.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought that might be the case. There are a lot of competitive schools in TX :). Anyone in the Dell FB group want to share how many people are in there?

Looking grim, my friend. About 55 people in the group (about 4 are admins), with about 8-10 invited that did not accept the invite. Most everyone that accepted the invite expressed their desire to go. If we take those numbers at face value, they (Dell) offered about 15-20% more spots than they had through pre-match (probably suspecting attrition) with some pretty competitive scholarships.

I'd say maybe...39-43 of the instate spots are not up for grabs, if not more, just looking at the names I recognize. I honestly think maybe 3-5% of class match on match day.

This is, of course, purely speculation.

Looking grim, my friend. About 55 people in the group (about 4 are admins), with about 8-10 invited that did not accept the invite. Most everyone that accepted the invite expressed their desire to go. If we take those numbers at face value, they (Dell) offered about 15-20% more spots than they had through pre-match (probably suspecting attrition) with some pretty competitive scholarships.

I'd say maybe...39-43 of the instate spots are not up for grabs, if not more, just looking at the names I recognize. I honestly think maybe 3-5% of class match on match day.

This is, of course, purely speculation.

Okay that's a slight overestimate. There are 52 people in the group with 4 as admins. So they haven't over-offered or anything like that. Don't let that dissuade you from preferencing Dell high/#1 though if that's what you really want, there's no telling what will happen on match day and on waitlists. But I do agree it will likely be similar to UTSW where most offers go out during prematch and only a few get picked up on match day.

Okay that's a slight overestimate. There are 52 people in the group with 4 as admins. So they haven't over-offered or anything like that. Don't let that dissuade you from preferencing Dell high/#1 though if that's what you really want, there's no telling what will happen on match day and on waitlists. But I do agree it will likely be similar to UTSW where most offers go out during prematch and only a few get picked up on match day.

Thanks for the info! Have any of you that are accepted and planning to attend attempted to apply for financial aid yet? I saw that Dell is not even an option to select on FAFSA yet so that is concerning to me. Do you think there will be obstacles in receiving loans for a new school?

Thanks for the info! Have any of you that are accepted and planning to attend attempted to apply for financial aid yet? I saw that Dell is not even an option to select on FAFSA yet so that is concerning to me. Do you think there will be obstacles in receiving loans for a new school?

I have already applied for financial aid. They told me over the phone to choose the University of Texas and that they will probably not differentiate themselves on the FAFSA in the future (Duke is also like this if I'm not mistaken).

I see no obstacles for receiving student loans because the UT financial aid department knows the situation and in the future it will be commonplace for them to sort FAFSA results for undergrads as well as med students.

I have already applied for financial aid. They told me over the phone to choose the University of Texas and that they will probably not differentiate themselves on the FAFSA in the future (Duke is also like this if I'm not mistaken).

I see no obstacles for receiving student loans because the UT financial aid department knows the situation and in the future it will be commonplace for them to sort FAFSA results for undergrads as well as med students.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it not showing up as a separate entity on FAFSA as it's not supposed to. Dell is the only medical school in the state that is truly a part of the undergrad campus it's associated with (with the exception of UTRGV now, maybe?). But for A&M and Tech, they have separate colleges/universities for their health professions school, hence the Health Sciences Center tag. That's why they show up independently on FAFSA. The other UT system schools aren't a part of undergrad institutions so again, separate entities; Baylor is Baylor COM, not just Baylor University. Dell, along with all of UT's other professional and graduate programs, is truly a part of UT Austin. Longwinded way of saying, no need to worry, Dell qualifies for federal financial aid, just input UT Austin's institution code on FAFSA.

Last edited:

At the time I wrote it, 52 in the group, 3 admins, and 8-10 *invites*. Invites are only sent to those offered or admins. So that indicates a potential excess of 50 prematches; it would not be an overestimate then.

However, great news! Since then, the group has thinned to around 42 with 3 admins. Invites stand.

So maybe up to 10 via match?

At the time I wrote it, 52 in the group, 3 admins, and 8-10 *invites*. Invites are only sent to those offered or admins. So that indicates a potential excess of 50 prematches; it would not be an overestimate then.

However, great news! Since then, the group has thinned to around 42 with 3 admins. Invites stand.

So maybe up to 10 via match?

My bad, I didn't know you could see those invited if you weren't an admin and didn't account for those. But that's cool! And I'll second your info, 42 people in there now, so yeah, about 10-12 spots coming up on match day.

Sweet! Oos still haven't heard anything since my interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming everyone already in the group is ranking Dell 1, without exception.

True, but from what I understand, most of those who 'accepted' the group invite were already committed, and many have expressed such sentiments on the page. Those that have dropped since the 22nd, I imagine, are those that ranked another ahead that they already pre-matched.

Also possible those that did not except the invite did not have a Facebook - better to be conservative than optimistic.

I'd say 10-12 matches (20% of the class or so) is a fair estimate. Good luck all.

Something else to consider; those Facebook invites that were not reciprocated, of the 7, one is an admin and two others were duplicates meaning that the invite was sent to a different email than the accepted students Facebook account was linked to. There are 2 for sure like that, maybe more, meaning there could be a few more spots available than on first glance.

Reactions: 1 users
Also important: many private medical schools do not notify students of acceptances until february - april. There's a great chance some of the students who rank Dell first as of now do not rank Dell first regardless of any school that accepts them in these next few months.

I'm getting pretty nervous for match day. I know Dell isn't taking many students, but I'm wondering how those who will be accepted on match day will find out? Likeee will I log onto TMDSAS and see Dell as the school I matched with, or will they call me first and then later in the day switch it over on TMDSAS. What do y'all think?

I'm getting pretty nervous for match day. I know Dell isn't taking many students, but I'm wondering how those who will be accepted on match day will find out? Likeee will I log onto TMDSAS and see Dell as the school I matched with, or will they call me first and then later in the day switch it over on TMDSAS. What do y'all think?
It will show on TMDSAS on Monday exactly at 8am. The entire match process is computerized.

Anyone match? I didn't. . . I wonder how we will find out if we are on the waitlist?

I apologize if anyone has already asked this question, but does Dell Medical School accept letters of intent? I did not match here today, but I am super passionate about going to this school! Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted :)

I apologize if anyone has already asked this question, but does Dell Medical School accept letters of intent? I did not match here today, but I am super passionate about going to this school! Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted :)

Unfortunately they do not accept any updates or letters of intent. I know that was a question I had a month ago. Best of luck!

Ah I see. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the quick response!

OOS, Waitlist email just now. They rank the waitlist and therefore do not accept updates at this point.

Congrats to all those accepted! I really look forward to seeing where this school goes over the next few years, even from afar.

IS waitlisted. I wonder if everyone got waitlisted or if there were rejection emails?

Just rejected haha, not surprising seeing how I never received a secondary lol, but I'm plenty happy with UT Houston! :)

Good luck all still waiting to hear!

Also for those interested this was from the email:

"On the academic front, accepted candidates scored in the >90% of MCAT takers and have an average GPA > 3.8. While admirable, these candidates also demonstrated a myriad of accomplishments that aligned with our mission of innovation, leadership, and population health.

If you were not able to obtain a seat in medical school this year and would like to get feedback on how to improve your application, we will begin office hours for prospective students after April 15th. We will post on our website instructions on how to make an appointment when we get closer to the date. Also, if you haven’t already connected with your advisor, we encourage you to reach out to a professional health advisor at your primary college/university."

"On the academic front, accepted candidates scored in the >90% of MCAT takers and have an average GPA > 3.8. While admirable, these candidates also demonstrated a myriad of accomplishments that aligned with our mission of innovation, leadership, and population health.

I just got it as well, and I did receive the secondary.

Aren't you special Dell SOM. How about a cookie?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got it as well, though I did complete the secondary.

Aren't you special Dell SOM. How about a cookie?
I got in here, but was matched elsewhere. However, I don't like that wording either. Of the rejections I've received, I've most appreciated the ones that asserted I was well qualified to be a doctor and that the school rejecting me was simply quite competitive. Throwing in stats and the qualifications of those admitted just seems a little snobby..even if I know it wasn't intended to sound snobby.

Reactions: 2 users
I got in here, but was matched elsewhere. However, I don't like that wording either. Of the rejections I've received, I've most appreciated the ones that asserted I was well qualified to be a doctor and that the school rejecting me was simply quite competitive. Throwing in stats and the qualifications of those admitted just seems a little snobby..even if I know it wasn't intended to sound snobby.
Agreed.
Did not like the rejection email at all.
Especially since I was extended the Secondary Application.

Was anyone rejected from this school post-interview?

Agreed.
Did not like the rejection email at all.
Especially since I was extended the Secondary Application.

Hey, bro - Did you fare well? <--- Only quoted so you might see this. Haha.

I would like to point out I did not meet any of those stats and I pre-matched to Dell (I think my LOR from research and subsequent research experience did a lot of heavy lifting); I wouldn't take offense from the email, however, even if I wasn't. Medical school isn't easy to get into, and I think it affirms the hard work that those accepted did to get those stats.

90%+ MCAT and 3.8+ GPA are quite the accomplishments...that I didn't even achieve! I should count myself lucky then, to be a classmate to those that did. Someone earlier said they prefer emails in which they are told they are qualified to be a doctor, i.e. 'rejection with reluctance' but I quite like being told to some extent, "You need to work harder" or "You did not meet our standard" - because then I don't delude myself into thinking there was nothing more I could do.

Which is not to say that all those who applied didn't try hard, but all things equal, I know I could have had I taken more steps to organize and push myself *especially in my first year*. I can only speak for myself, though. Congrats to everyone that matched - anywhere. I look forward to being your future colleagues (pls).

Last edited:
Hey, bro - Did you fare well? <--- Only quoted so you might see this. Haha.

I would like to point out I did not meet any of those stats and I pre-matched to Dell (I think my LOR from research and subsequent research experience did a lot of heavy lifting); I wouldn't take offense from the email, however, even if I wasn't. Medical school isn't easy to get into, and I think it affirms the hard work that those accepted did to get those stats.

90%+ MCAT and 3.8+ GPA are quite the accomplishments...that I didn't even achieve! I should count myself lucky then, to be a classmate to those that did. Someone earlier said they prefer emails in which they are told they are qualified to be a doctor, i.e. 'rejection with reluctance' but I quite like being told to some extent, "You need to work harder" or "You did not meet our standard" - because then I don't delude myself into thinking there was nothing more I could do.

Which is not to say that all those who applied didn't try hard, but all things equal, I know I could have had I taken more steps to organize and push myself *especially in my first year*. I can only speak for myself, though. Congrats to everyone that matched - anywhere. I look forward to being your future colleagues (pls).
Yep - matched to UTMB :)

Also curious to see if anyone who interviewed was rejected or if everyone was waitlisted.

Also curious to see if anyone who interviewed was rejected or if everyone was waitlisted.
I interviewed and was waitlisted. As far as I know, the only schools in Texas that have a selective waitlist for applicants for interviewed is A&M and UTSAHSC.

Just withdrew my acceptance. I was super impressed with Dell and I am excited to see what happens there over the next couple years!

Just withdrew my acceptance. I was super impressed with Dell and I am excited to see what happens there over the next couple years!

IS or OOS? wondering if I should start holding my breath:)

Hi, I've just read this entire thread because I'm applying this next cycle! Is the 3.2 gpa literally overall, or 3.2 undergrad? I am asking because I also have a graduate GPA, so does that count in there? It says "overall", but didn't get anymore specific than that. Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi, I've just read this entire thread because I'm applying this next cycle! Is the 3.2 gpa literally overall, or 3.2 undergrad? I am asking because I also have a graduate GPA, so does that count in there? It says "overall", but didn't get anymore specific than that. Any help would be appreciated!

If I'm not mistaken, a 3.2 is the bare minumum to pass the GPA/MCAT screen. Your graduate and undergrad GPA would probably both be considered though since having graduate studies shows ability to handle higher level coursework. I'm no expert though. You could always call and ask, Dell are some of the nicest people I've met in the admission/interview trail.

Yeah I know that, I just have roughly ~260 undergrad credits from different schools, and I honestly don't know my cumulative undergrad gpa so before I sat down and calculated I just wanted to know if I needed to add my grad credits in there too! Okay, I'll ask for clarity! Thanks for your response!!

One OOS student got rolyat's spot. They announced it on the TMDSAS waitlist movement page. Haven't heard anything else.