2015-2016 University of Texas - Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
o.o what email is this?

This one!
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1436529714.992327.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys think UT will be more selective than other Texas medical schools because it is UT? or not as selective as other schools because it's new?
I think they'll be more selective because they are receiving thousands of applications for only 50 spots (including only 5 for OOS)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys sign up to be on Dell's mailing list or something? I didn't get that update email, but did get a secondary email.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you guys sign up to be on Dell's mailing list or something? I didn't get that update email, but did get a secondary email.

lol ya I did like a longggg time ago. I wanted to know when they were going to start accepting applications

Seems like the really high stats applicants are getting the secondaries first? i wonder what their cutoff will be...

Seems like the really high stats applicants are getting the secondaries first? i wonder what their cutoff will be...

I don't think it is strictly a numbers screen. There was someone earlier who said they had a friend with a 26 MCAT get one and I think a couple <70 LizzyM applicants. I have a 75 and have heard exactly zero peeps from them, and I think there's someone still waiting with a 76? So who knows how they're doing this.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it is strictly a numbers screen. There was someone earlier who said they had a friend with a 26 MCAT get one and I think a couple <70 LizzyM applicants. I have a 75 and have heard exactly zero peeps from them, and I think there's someone still waiting with a 76? So who knows how they're doing this.
Thanks! I've got a 65.5 so probably out of my range. Not really expecting to hear from utsw, Uth, or utmb either...but heck it didn't cost anymore.

That's good then. Fingers crossed and hope we get some love from Dell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey anyone else recently received secondary invites? If so when did you send the request email/msg? My friend was curious and he doesn't have a sdn account.

Is anyone else having trouble submitting their secondary application to the UT Dell online portal? I keep getting a "500 ERROR" even when I try to "Save my work."

Still waiting on a secondary. 36 MCAT, undergrad GPA 3.63, undergrad BCPM 3.93, 4.0 grad. I am already starting to worry

Still waiting on a secondary. 36 MCAT, undergrad GPA 3.63, undergrad BCPM 3.93, 4.0 grad. I am already starting to worry
It seems like they are not going strictly off numbers. I got my secondary a few weeks ago and my numbers are good, but not amazing.

So what is the consensus as far as asking about the screening process during their live twitter Q&A tomorrow? I've pretty much given up hope because I had my application sent to them very early in their process (complete TMDSAS transmitted to them the same day applications opened). I just don't get the thought process behind writing on the website that a 3.2 minimum GPA is required, not mentioning a minimum MCAT score, being so incredibly forward with what they're looking for as far as their application guide...and then having such a nebulous screen.

So what is the consensus as far as asking about the screening process during their live twitter Q&A tomorrow? I've pretty much given up hope because I had my application sent to them very early in their process (complete TMDSAS transmitted to them the same day applications opened). I just don't get the thought process behind writing on the website that a 3.2 minimum GPA is required, not mentioning a minimum MCAT score, being so incredibly forward with what they're looking for as far as their application guide...and then having such a nebulous screen.
I would not give up hope. You have to remember that they had a ton of applications come in at the same time.

I would not give up hope. You have to remember that they had a ton of applications come in at the same time.

I generally agree, but there are people who were complete many days (week(s)?) after several of us that are still waiting, and stats do not seem to be the reason. I understand that this type of screening process is a possibility at many schools (Mayo, for one). I already pre-wrote the secondary because I thought I would get one :)smack:lol), so I guess there isn't much to worry about at this point. If I get one, great. That said, their website and app guide were so thorough, so I wish they would have addressed what is going into their screen. That's the only reason I brought up the Q&A. I'm happy with the schools I've applied to and if Dell chooses to send me a secondary, I'd be happy to add them later in the cycle, as well.

Edited to add: I really do appreciate the sentiment, though!

Last edited:
Sure :) I'm not big on social media so guess I need to make an anonymous Twitter account between now and then lol

Secondary just received. Transmitted 7 July with LizzyM ~76.

There is still hope! I bet the admissions office wasn't expecting so many applications.

I generally agree, but there are people who were complete many days (week(s)?) after several of us that are still waiting, and stats do not seem to be the reason. I understand that this type of screening process is a possibility at many schools (Mayo, for one). I already pre-wrote the secondary because I thought I would get one :)smack:lol), so I guess there isn't much to worry about at this point. If I get one, great. That said, their website and app guide were so thorough, so I wish they would have addressed what is going into their screen. That's the only reason I brought up the Q&A. I'm happy with the schools I've applied to and if Dell chooses to send me a secondary, I'd be happy to add them later in the cycle, as well.

Edited to add: I really do appreciate the sentiment, though!
It's ok you don't have to win everything. You win some and lose some. I love Mexico.

I'll be volunteering during the live chat (and also I don't have a twitter account), could someone please ask when they plan on sending interview invites/rejections? The wait is killing me.

Ok guys, I'll keep monitoring, but for those of us waiting for secondaries:
1. Throughout the application season, they will continue to review applications that have were not initially chosen to receive secondaries.
2. I asked about how they are screening the secondaries and they responded with: Beyond GPA or MCAT, selection for secondary invitation is based on an overall review of academic prep.

:shrug: I don't think I'm going to prod much further.

Other notes:
-They "expect a very competitive [MCAT] score"
-Leadership, innovation and community engagement seem very important to Dell
-Statistics required
-Expected 350 interview offers, following "TMDSAS guidelines" so I guess interviews until or through January?

Final note: my Twitter handle is not my real name. Thought it was worth mentioning lol

Reactions: 2 users
Ok guys, I'll keep monitoring, but for those of us waiting for secondaries:
1. Throughout the application season, they will continue to review applications that have were not initially chosen to receive secondaries.
2. I asked about how they are screening the secondaries and they responded with: Beyond GPA or MCAT, selection for secondary invitation is based on an overall review of academic prep.

:shrug: I don't think I'm going to prod much further.

Other notes:
-They "expect a very competitive [MCAT] score"
-Leadership, innovation and community engagement seem very important to Dell
-Statistics required
-Expected 350 interview offers, following "TMDSAS guidelines" so I guess interviews until or through January?

Final note: my Twitter handle is not my real name. Thought it was worth mentioning lol
So basically you've been right all along and their screen is just really nontransparent and nebulous. I'm not holding out much hope anymore, but if it happens I'd be elated. Thanks for the update at any rate!

So basically you've been right all along and their screen is just really nontransparent and nebulous. I'm not holding out much hope anymore, but if it happens I'd be elated. Thanks for the update at any rate!
Per usual, the media never gives me fair coverage. Always be optimistic!

Mr. Trump - Make America great again!

Pretty much, @simplesloth. They obviously have some specific things they want or the LizzyM range wouldn't be so large, but I guess they aren't willing to share it. Not that we can change our academic prep much at this point, lol

Ok, so even given everything I've already said in this thread...What I gather from the Q&A is that we should not have or lose hope, at this point nor at any point until the season is over. It doesn't seem like we can assign expectations with Dell, which I understand given that they are trying to enroll their first class and there are only 50 spots. They probably need/want a few high-stats superstars, people with amazing service here and abroad, excellent and established researchers, etc. Perhaps they are overlooking certain parts of the application if you are truly a superstar in another aspect. Personally I am going to go the route simplesloth suggested: let's get super excited if we are chosen (for a secondary, II, acceptance, whatever!) and try to not take it (too) personally if we are not. I say this as someone who was really excited to apply because I felt I would fit in at Dell, but I guess now and until further notice from them, I have to choose to focus on my other schools and the potential there.

Reactions: 3 users
So after all that waiting, I got my secondary this morning at 7:45 am. Mine was transmitted to Dell the same day it became available, so the order in which they screen must be super random, because I know people who transmitted later received the secondary earlier. Just thought I'd give everyone the heads up!

Reactions: 4 users
So after all that waiting, I got my secondary this morning at 7:45 am. Mine was transmitted to Dell the same day it became available, so the order in which they screen must be super random, because I know people who transmitted later received the secondary earlier. Just thought I'd give everyone the heads up!
Congratulations. I told you to be optimistic. I'm always right.

Mr. Trump

Transmitted 7/16. Secondary application received 7/17.

Transmitted 7/16. Secondary application received 7/17.
If that's the case, this has to be a solely numbers screen. There's no way they can review any other portion of the application in such a short turnaround time.

If that's the case, this has to be a solely numbers screen. There's no way they can review any other portion of the application in such a short turnaround time.
But then why would people with comparable Lizzy M's be screened out? I agree it's quick, but a cursory glance of course work for "academic prep" would not take much time at all. Have you ever heard business people yapping about how employers will scan your CV in literally seconds to determine whether you get tossed immediately or saved for later consideration? Of course a computer program to filter based on numbers would be instantaneous. Anyway, just wanted to add some info for people out there. Best of luck to everyone.

I ended up sending them an email to find out what was going on. I transmitted on 5/13 and still I have no response. The response was from a really nice and sympathetic adcom who stated that they got so many more apps than they thought, which is slowing everything down. She also said that all the apps will be looked over multiple times by multiple adcoms over the course of the application season. So if you haven't gotten a secondary invite yet, you haven't been screened out per se. The only time you can definitely confirm that you're out is when interview season ends and you haven't heard anything. Don't lose hope guys!!

Reactions: 1 users
Did you guys write full on essays for the responses? Some of the secondary prompts seem listy, like "give examples of when you engaged the community." It didn't ask for discussion like it did on the teamwork prompt. Should it not be personal statement style and not include a lot of reflection?

Did you guys write full on essays for the responses? Some of the secondary prompts seem listy, like "give examples of when you engaged the community." It didn't ask for discussion like it did on the teamwork prompt. Should it not be personal statement style and not include a lot of reflection?
I wrote the last one (challenge) in essay form.
The first 3 I just found 2 experiences each, and then wrote each of them like an AMCAS most meaningful.

So basically
1. community bla bla bla?
experience A
This and this and this

experience B
This and this and this

2. helping others
experience A

etc

(I don't remember the questions because I wrote it almost a month ago)

I wrote full on essays that included both reflection and examples/substance. Pretty much made full use of the character limit

I guess no one will know when II will start going out?

Nope. I really thought it would be this week since the first interview date is supposed to be August 18th. But the week is pretty much over now :(

wait how do you know the first interview date?