2015-2016 University of Texas - Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
:( I'm hoping I can still get one I'm super interested in this school
Me too.
Though honestly I'm actually kind of relieved I don't have to buy plane tickets to Austin with 2 weeks notice right before labor day XD.
But any later interview would be so awesome...

Reactions: 1 user
Interview Invite this afternoon.
Completed 7/3

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they're almost through with scheduling their interviews or not? I received an invite to complete their secondary, but if it's close to the end of their cycle, I'm not sure I'll fill it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they're almost through with scheduling their interviews or not? I received an invite to complete their secondary, but if it's close to the end of their cycle, I'm not sure I'll fill it out.
They have scheduled 4 of their 6 interview dates.

@unparapluie I just got a call a week ago for an II scheduled for this upcoming Thursday on 9/03 which is only their second interview date. I don't think they are scheduling out that far. They have a total of 6 interview dates with a possible makeup in January. You can find the exact dates if you download the application guide on Dell's website.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't received secondary yet either-

How did it go? Was the mmi plus individual interviews pretty brutal?

I just joined SDN, but I interviewed the 18th as well. It was a lot for sure, the individual interviews were very comfortable for me and I honestly enjoyed them. The MMI questions were of course ethics based with no right or wrong answer which made them a challenge, but not brutal. They also have a group interview for 15 minutes where you have to come to a common solution to a question while you are video recorded. Since there is no school to see and no students to meet, it was basically an introduction followed by about 3 hours of interviews, but it isn't as brutal as it sounds.

Also I don't know if I have seen this elsewhere in the thread, but there are 6 days with two sessions each day and each session has 20 people. So they are only going to interview about 240 people which makes II a very selective process.

Edit: Oh and the admissions office said something about how they do read through everything when screening for the secondary which may be why it is taking some time for people.

@unparapluie I just got a call a week ago for an II scheduled for this upcoming Thursday on 9/03 which is only their second interview date. I don't think they are scheduling out that far. They have a total of 6 interview dates with a possible makeup in January. You can find the exact dates if you download the application guide on Dell's website.
Thank you! I don't know why I didn't head there first, haha.

I just joined SDN, but I interviewed the 18th as well. It was a lot for sure, the individual interviews were very comfortable for me and I honestly enjoyed them. The MMI questions were of course ethics based with no right or wrong answer which made them a challenge, but not brutal. They also have a group interview for 15 minutes where you have to come to a common solution to a question while you are video recorded. Since there is no school to see and no students to meet, it was basically an introduction followed by about 3 hours of interviews, but it isn't as brutal as it sounds.

Also I don't know if I have seen this elsewhere in the thread, but there are 6 days with two sessions each day and each session has 20 people. So they are only going to interview about 240 people which makes II a very selective process.

Edit: Oh and the admissions office said something about how they do read through everything when screening for the secondary which may be why it is taking some time for people.
Wow I wonder how many of the 240 people will be OOS. It is even more selective than I thought, though it does make sense considering they only have 50 spots to fill.

Wow I wonder how many of the 240 people will be OOS. It is even more selective than I thought, though it does make sense considering they only have 50 spots to fill.

Yeah it is hard to say. I can only speak from my own interview day but I think there were only 3 of us from OOS. So with that minimal sample size, given the other days have just as many, one could expect they would interview around 36 people from OOS.

Yeah it is hard to say. I can only speak from my own interview day but I think there were only 3 of us from OOS. So with that minimal sample size, given the other days have just as many, one could expect they would interview around 36 people from OOS.
Ouch. I guess that makes it even more special if you're among the chosen few ;)

Yeah I feel very lucky for sure haha

Anybody have any idea on how many secondaries they're planning to give out? Starting to lose hope with this one D:

Anybody have any idea on how many secondaries they're planning to give out? Starting to lose hope with this one D:

Hard to say, of schools that screen for secondaries, some only send secondaries to people they will interview, some send out four times as many. They made no hints at that during the interview.

Well this was unexpected.

Secondary received just now! :) I added the school to TMDSAS on Jun 22. OOS nontrad.

Last edited:
I just got an email asking me to fill out a secondary.Unexpected and weird, any thoughts on this?

Fwiw tmdsas complete May and added Dell on first day they were available.
3.6 , 30, non-trad, non-URM

I just got an email asking me to fill out a secondary.Unexpected and weird, any thoughts on this?

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, after adding them the first day possible. I went ahead and completed the secondary.

Yeah i got my invite in September as well. Its pretty cool, but I'm actually kind of hesitant with Dell since it is such a new school, although I am sure they will be investing a ton of money into it. Of course, I still have to get an interview invite before its really relevant, so this is all speculation. How those who have gotten secondary invites, how long did it take them to ask you to interview?

Yeah i got my invite in September as well. Its pretty cool, but I'm actually kind of hesitant with Dell since it is such a new school, although I am sure they will be investing a ton of money into it. Of course, I still have to get an interview invite before its really relevant, so this is all speculation. How those who have gotten secondary invites, how long did it take them to ask you to interview?
I turned in my secondary the 1st week of July and recieved my II in late August.

Secondary invite today as well. Complete in July. IS Nontrad LizzyM 66

Me too -- invitation to complete secondary today. 0.O

OOS non-trad, 9 II, 0 R. Totally forgot about Dell! No 2dary fee, so I'll go ahead and do one more of these.

Just got a secondary today as well. Was surprised I applied the 1st day possible.

I also got a secondary today!

Is it worth it to go through the process as an OOS? There are only 5 spots total and I'm not sure if the time and money for a potential interview is worth it...
I mean... If you are enthusiastic about what the school has to offer, being brand new and all, then I think it's worth it. But only you can answer that question for yourself.

this school didn't exist 2 years ago. They have a 50 person incoming class next year and by law 90% need to be IS. So there will be 5 OOS. Also their secondary cost nothing and if you're already doing the TMDSAS then it's easy to click their school and see anyway. But like it's due today so you should probably get that in haha

Good point ^

I am enthusiastic about the school, however I'm also realistic and wouldn't want to waster their any my time on an interview with only 5 spots for the entire nation. I'd love to go to any Texas school, however it probably isn't worth taking the time away from my other applications.

Also I apologize for the dumb question. I think I already knew my an answer beforehand.
Yeah the odds are definitely not in our favor.

OH MY GOD I FINALLY GOT A SECONDARY. OH MY GOD IT'S DUE NEXT THURSDAY. I am hyperventilating.

Reactions: 4 users
OH MY GOD I FINALLY GOT A SECONDARY. OH MY GOD IT'S DUE NEXT THURSDAY. I am hyperventilating.
I have it done on the small chance that I get it! Congrats!

I started it back in August but then I lost hope and now I am kicking myself!
EDIT: luckily I have had these questions in another secondary so I just need to flesh out my old answers