You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Vanderbilt University Application Thread
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Here's to hoping more IIs go out tomorrow... it looks like they've only sent out some on the 11th so far and not again... the wait is killer! i love you vandy, please love me back.
I would also love an II from them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully, they send out more tomorrow!
^Just after I read and liked these comments, my II e-mail came!!! Complete 8/6.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^Just after I read and liked these comments, my II e-mail came!!! Complete 8/6.
I just liked them too. Must mean I'm about to get an II email in a few minutes... 😀
Any MSTPs?
So the latest secondary received according to last year's thread was 11/4.
But that's sooooo farrrrrSo the latest secondary received according to last year's thread was 11/4.
But that's sooooo farrrrr
I've already spent the money I was saving for Vandy, woops. But I do like my new watch.
Not here... Still hoping thoughAny MSTPs?
So I emailed Vandy today about the secondaries and got back a very friendly reply! I was told that they are sent out until November (as another poster said), so there is still hope! Really hope I get some love from them
II just now!
LizzyM is 70 and completed on 7/27
Are you GPA or MCAT heavy? And congrats 🙂
Thanks! I'm MCAT Heavy. Yeah, realize my stats aren't that impressive for Vandy so definitely taken aback by the invite.Are you GPA or MCAT heavy? And congrats 🙂
So excited for you! 🙂 You give me hope-- also "not as impressive" to use your words (but come on, if Vandy offers you an II, you're impressive 😉), but I was complete 2 weeks after you so I'm crossing my fingers for the next batch or the one after! What do you think made you stand out?II just now!
LizzyM is 70 and completed on 7/27
No clue but if I had to take a gander, I would say my ECs. Did somewhat unique stuff and had lots of leadership. And good luck! Hopefully that II will be rolling in soon.So excited for you! 🙂 You give me hope-- also "not as impressive" to use your words (but come on, if Vandy offers you an II, you're impressive 😉), but I was complete 2 weeks after you so I'm crossing my fingers for the next batch or the one after! What do you think made you stand out?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Patiently waiting for II from Vanderbilt......
if that's you, then imagine what I look like ... still haven't even received the secondary ... LizzyM 76, verified early June![]()
Patiently waiting for II from Vanderbilt......
MSI at Vanderbilt checking in here. So, so excited to meet all (or most) of you on the interview day!
Also I'd be glad to field any questions you have, allay concerns about C2.0, or critique essays.
Also I'd be glad to field any questions you have, allay concerns about C2.0, or critique essays.
Just got a secondary. I'm on the lower side of GPAs and 34 MCAT but have a tonnnn of ECs and research publications pending/presented so KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE.
Im LizzyM 69. NEVER GIVE UP.LizzyM 67... Guess I might as well give up the dream of coming back home to beautiful Nashville.![]()
6
666670
WTF? I just got a secondary...thanks for the slice of humble pie Vandy..
WTF? I just got a secondary...thanks for the slice of humble pie Vandy..
Me too please *begs*
Hi! Congrats on getting into such an amazing school - hope to join you next fall! I have a couple questions:MSI at Vanderbilt checking in here. So, so excited to meet all (or most) of you on the interview day!
Also I'd be glad to field any questions you have, allay concerns about C2.0, or critique essays.
-Any tips for interview day?
-How have the first few weeks of classes been (professors, workload, etc.)?
-Would you say the students at Vanderbilt are generally happy to be there?
Nothing here either... 4.0 GPA but average MCAT so i'm not really sure what to expect. Fingers crossed for all of us though!Have any MSTP applicants gotten any II's from Vandy yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ditto -- 4.0/518, double crossing fingers and toes!!!Nothing here either... 4.0 GPA but average MCAT so i'm not really sure what to expect. Fingers crossed for all of us though!
Hi! Congrats on getting into such an amazing school - hope to join you next fall! I have a couple questions:
-Any tips for interview day?
-How have the first few weeks of classes been (professors, workload, etc.)?
-Would you say the students at Vanderbilt are generally happy to be there?
-You've got two interviews: a long one where your interviewer has read your whole AMCAS file, and a short one in which only your name is known. The long one is meant to be a conversation; the interviewer can ask you pretty much anything from 'why medicine' to 'tell me about your favorite sports team'. It is really a chance to know you as a person. The short interview is behavior-focused (e.g. tell me of a time when you failed and what you learned, what values do you hold most dear to you, what's the most valuable piece of advice someone has ever given to you). This one is twice as short as the long interview, so if your interviewer comes across as interrogational - don't worry! There are a list of questions he/she HAS to get through. To prepare for interviews, know three things well. Yourself, Vanderbilt, and the medical profession itself.
-I actually am in the midst of studying for my first block exam; we had our free-response portion today, and the multiple-choice + practical portion tomorrow. I will stress this: the workload is HEAVY. A one-year preclinical curriculum is no joke, and you need to find time everyday 1) reviewing the day's lecture and 2) if possible, reviewing notes from a few weeks back. Our blocks are either 6 or 12 weeks, and you really feel as if you're going a hundred miles per hour every day. It's tough, but doable. Now I understand why VUSM places such a high premium on high-stat applicants; they want people who will excel in their condensed, new curriculum.
-The truth is this: Vanderbilt medical students are work hard, play even harder. They're the type who goes downtown Thursday night for happy hour at a crowded sports bar where a live band is playing covers of Zac Brown Band, only to arrive promptly at 8:00 AM sharp on Friday for a clinical case on medium-chain acyl dehydrogenase deficiencies. Nashville is one helluva fun city to live in; there's no shortage of free concerts, street food festivals, and outdoorsy activities like whitewater rafting and pontooning. Music City truly lives up to its name; I'm going to see Ed Sheeran in concert in mid-September and tickets are nearly sold out. Of course, the country music scene on Lower Broadway attracts a large number of tourists, but if you aren't into large crowds, the Smoky Mountains are never more than three hours away. As a class, we're one cohesive bunch. Before exam time, many of us will post notes and other learning tools to help us succeed. It's great having a pass-fail preclinical year AND basic clerkships, with no internal rankings. VUSM is a gem, and I'm glad that I have the chance to go to med school here.
Last edited:
What dates are being offered for interviews right now?
Last edited:
Does anyone know if they reject people this soon?
-You've got two interviews: a long one where your interviewer has read your whole AMCAS file, and a short one in which only your name is known. The long one is meant to be a conversation; the interviewer can ask you pretty much anything from 'why medicine' to 'tell me about your favorite sports team'. It is really a chance to know you as a person. The short interview is behavior-focused (e.g. tell me of a time when you failed and what you learned, what values do you hold most dear to you, what's the most valuable piece of advice someone has ever given to you). This one is twice as short as the long interview, so if your interviewer comes across as interrogational - don't worry! There are a list of questions he/she HAS to get through. To prepare for interviews, know three things well. Yourself, Vanderbilt, and the medical profession itself.
-I actually am in the midst of studying for my first block exam; we had our free-response portion today, and the multiple-choice + practical portion tomorrow. I will stress this: the workload is HEAVY. A one-year preclinical curriculum is no joke, and you need to find time everyday 1) reviewing the day's lecture and 2) if possible, reviewing notes from a few weeks back. Our blocks are either 6 or 12 weeks, and you really feel as if you're going a hundred miles per hour every day. It's tough, but doable. Now I understand why VUSM places such a high premium on high-stat applicants; they want people who will excel in their condensed, new curriculum.
-The truth is this: Vanderbilt medical students are work hard, play even harder. They're the type who goes downtown Thursday night for happy hour at a crowded sports bar where a live band is playing covers of Zac Brown Band, only to arrive promptly at 8:00 AM sharp on Friday for a clinical case on medium-chain acyl dehydrogenase deficiencies. Nashville is one helluva fun city to live in; there's no shortage of free concerts, street food festivals, and outdoorsy activities like whitewater rafting and pontooning. Music City truly lives up to its name; I'm going to see Ed Sheeran in concert in mid-September and tickets are nearly sold out. Of course, the country music scene on Lower Broadway attracts a large number of tourists, but if you aren't into large crowds, the Smoky Mountains are never more than three hours away. As a class, we're one cohesive bunch. Before exam time, many of us will post notes and other learning tools to help us succeed. It's great having a pass-fail preclinical year AND basic clerkships, with no internal rankings. VUSM is a gem, and I'm glad that I have the chance to go to med school here.
Thank you so much for all this info! Now I'm even more excited for my interview. Hope to meet you there!
I think they have gone out as late as October before. If I don't get one in September though, I think I'm going to cut my losses.I still haven't received the secondary (LizzyM 76, international applicant). Should I consider myself rejected ?
What dates are you guys getting for ii? Is there student hosting?
When I reserved my spot, the portal had dates available throughout fall. I chose a September date since it fit my schedule.
Limited student housing is available, but the website said it was only available for one night.
II today!
I am pretty sure I am dreaming. Very excited to have the chance to learn more about this school!
I am pretty sure I am dreaming. Very excited to have the chance to learn more about this school!Still no secondary..... I prewrote this one and it's been ready since May >.<
II today!I am pretty sure I am dreaming. Very excited to have the chance to learn more about this school!
When were you complete?
Thanks! Mine are towards the end of net month. I wish there was more than one night of hosting even if with different hosts so I could talk to a current student.... Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay to keep costs at a reasonable minimum but get a good nights sleep for a 3 day stay? Do I need to rent a car to get around Nashville?
Embassy Suites and the Holiday Inn are definitely within walking distance of the med center.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I were you, I'd definitely stay with a student host. Saves you a TON of money, and the students are very enthusiastic about opening their doors to interviewees.
Do most students live in university housing? What is it like?As another student, absolutely please do consider using us as hosts. Many of us actually live closer than the hotels you would normally use to stay near Vanderbilt, so it's typically both cheaper and more convenient.
Vandy med doesn't have university housing, there are a lot of options near by though.Do most students live in university housing? What is it like?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 691
- Views
- 150K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K
- Replies
- 234
- Views
- 77K

