2023-2024 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 CA University of Science and Medicine Secondary Prompts

Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses that tested your coping skills. What did you do? 1500 characters

Provide us with a specific example of something you did which helped build enthusiasm in others. 1500 characters

How would you describe yourself in terms of your ability to work as a member of a team? 1500 characters

Describe the last time you were criticized by a peer or supervisor. How did you handle it? 1500 characters

What does it mean to be emotionally intelligent? How have you effectively used your skills in emotional intelligence in the past? 1500 characters

Give an example of when you had to work with someone who was difficult to get along with. Why was this person difficult? How did you handle that person? 1500 characters

What would be the best example that shows you are a person of integrity? 1500 characters

If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years? 1500 characters

Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class? 1500 characters

If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below. Optional (500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
can anyone tell me the data for OOS students interviewed/accepted from m sar? can DM

can anyone tell me the data for OOS students interviewed/accepted from m sar? can DM
This is not a school I suggest you apply to as an OOS student unless you previously lived in the same area (Inland Empire) and just changed your residency in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone receive any secondaries yet?

• Dislike
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
bro ngl I straight up forgot i applied here. good to know that no ones gotten secondaries either lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone receive any secondaries yet?
Did anyone get a secondary yet?
bro ngl I straight up forgot i applied here. good to know that no ones gotten secondaries either lol

They usually send them out late compared to other schools. Last year I believe the first secondaries were sent out August 1st so it'd be reasonable to expect them probably this next week on Monday or Tuesday (July 31st & Aug 1st).

Hi new premeds! Current M3 here at CUSM happy to answer any questions you may have about applying, education, IE, etc. Please feel free to message me here or DM if you prefer! Wishing you all the best of luck in this new application cycle!

Hi new premeds! Current M3 here at CUSM happy to answer any questions you may have about applying, education, IE, etc. Please feel free to message me here or DM if you prefer! Wishing you all the best of luck in this new application cycle!
does this school like nontrads with interesting backgrounds

does this school like nontrads with interesting backgrounds
Definitely! I'm also a nontrad and so are many of my classmates so don't be discouraged from applying if you don't have a traditional app!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Just wondering how your first 2 years experience were? What were the preclinical years like? Did you get clinical exposure early. Was the teaching clear and organized? TY

Definitely! I'm also a nontrad and so are many of my classmates so don't be discouraged from applying if you don't have a traditional app!
I mean I’m kinda non trad. I did my undergrad and MA in modern history in the UK, then did a PostBac in the states. From California. Have had a few fairly unique jobs (semi pro athlete) but my GPA is on the lower side (3.4-3.5) and my MCAT is average for MD. People always say having unique stuff turns head but I’m not sure how much that’s true

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received secondaries yet? I'm surprised it's taking this long :0 not complaining tho I am so behind o_O

Hi. Just wondering how your first 2 years experience were? What were the preclinical years like? Did you get clinical exposure early. Was the teaching clear and organized? TY
I'm a current M1 so I've only had a few weeks but I can try to help. They've recently changed the preclinical curriculum so it's 18 months of preclinical classes. 2nd semester of M2 you can choose to take your distinction semester to study for Step 1 and do research or whatever else you want or you can start rotations early and take distinction during your 3rd year (most people do it during M2 though). The professors I've met so far are all extremely friendly and happy to answer questions and give feedback.

As for clinical exposure, you start working with standardized patients from week 1. As for working with actual patients that is only built into the curriculum starting 3rd year. There are a lot of opportunities to volunteer at clinics and with street medicine though. Hopefully this helps!

I'm a current M1 so I've only had a few weeks but I can try to help. They've recently changed the preclinical curriculum so it's 18 months of preclinical classes. 2nd semester of M2 you can choose to take your distinction semester to study for Step 1 and do research or whatever else you want or you can start rotations early and take distinction during your 3rd year (most people do it during M2 though). The professors I've met so far are all extremely friendly and happy to answer questions and give feedback.

As for clinical exposure, you start working with standardized patients from week 1. As for working with actual patients that is only built into the curriculum starting 3rd year. There are a lot of opportunities to volunteer at clinics and with street medicine though. Hopefully this helps!
Thank you so much for the detailed response. I will be curious as the year goes on if the program seems better put together. I think some comments from prior year applicants was that the program seemed a little bit disorganized somehow. Maybe just testing the waters since it is new. I am hoping they continue to improve!

I mean I’m kinda non trad. I did my undergrad and MA in modern history in the UK, then did a PostBac in the states. From California. Have had a few fairly unique jobs (semi pro athlete) but my GPA is on the lower side (3.4-3.5) and my MCAT is average for MD. People always say having unique stuff turns head but I’m not sure how much that’s true
If you can talk about your interesting points on your application and explain how they make you a better applicant then it can definitely help! I wouldn't make them the main focus of your apps but it can definitely be a great source for conversation during your interviews

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I will be curious as the year goes on if the program seems better put together. I think some comments from prior year applicants was that the program seemed a little bit disorganized somehow. Maybe just testing the waters since it is new. I am hoping they continue to improve!
I agree with what @premed913048 said and would add that the new 18 month curriculum is on its third year, meaning that by now they'e made good progress working out the kinks. No curriculum can be perfect to every student but the good thing about attending a newer school is that the faculty and staff are eager to listen and implement student feedback. Definitely not something you'll find at older schools that are more set in their ways.

how is life in colton/the IE?

Asking a tough question lol. Not gonna sugar-coat it it can be pretty rough in some areas, but that's why the med school is here - to serve a severely underserved community. If you have a heart for serving the underserved then the opportunities here are many and this is the school for you :)

Reactions: 1 users

Just to add a little, the area immediately around campus can be rough but there are some nicer areas around the IE to live in if you don't mind a commute. Riverside, Redlands and Rancho Cucamonga are a few that come to mind that have some nicer neighborhoods you can find. There are a couple of okay neighborhoods nearby the school like 'Wildrose' but you still occasionally here about car break-ins, etc.

As far as things to do (restaurant, bars, etc.), again, Riverside and Redlands are probably your closest and best options. If you're willing to drive then you've got OC and LA within an hour or so.

Other than that, there are beaches, vineyards, mountains and places to ski/snowboard within a 60-90 min drive.

secondary received just now! IS

Anyone know if they waive the app fee for applicants with FAP?

+1 IS secondary.

I read something that CUSM lost accreditation, is that true?

+1 IS secondary.

I read something that CUSM lost accreditation, is that true?
they're in between preliminary and provisional accreditation, which are both needed before full accreditation.

they're in between preliminary and provisional accreditation, which are both needed before full accreditation.
Does that mean there’s a risk of graduating from the med school without being able to get your MD?

their website says they do. otherwise it's $100
I had that same question. I qualify for FAP and had all secondary fees waived except for this school. I think it might be worth sending an email to them for a fee waiver! Not sure why it doesn't show up automatically.

does anyone know if they send them all out at once or in waves?

Prompts:
Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses that tested your coping skills. What did you do? 1500 characters

Provide us with a specific example of something you did which helped build enthusiasm in others. 1500 characters

How would you describe yourself in terms of your ability to work as a member of a team? 1500 characters

Describe the last time you were criticized by a peer or supervisor. How did you handle it? 1500 characters

What does it mean to be emotionally intelligent? How have you effectively used your skills in emotional intelligence in the past? 1500 characters

Give an example of when you had to work with someone who was difficult to get along with. Why was this person difficult? How did you handle that person? 1500 characters

What would be the best example that shows you are a person of integrity? 1500 characters

If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years? 1500 characters

Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class? 1500 characters

If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below. Optional (500 characters)
edit: @wysdoc tag!

Last edited by a moderator:
IS received. Yikes at these questions, and also wondering why the secondary fee waiver isn't applying!

Reactions: 3 users