2016-2017 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying! :pigeon:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused about Einstein's LOR requirements. Can anybody clarify? MSAR says they accept 4 max...but nowhere on the Einstein website does it say that.

I'm confused about Einstein's LOR requirements. Can anybody clarify? MSAR says they accept 4 max...but nowhere on the Einstein website does it say that.

Hope it helps,

"Einstein requires letters of recommendation from each applicant. Applicants who have completed their pre-medical coursework as an undergraduate or postbaccalaureate student, at a college or university where there is a Pre-Professional Advisory committee, are required to submit a letter of recommendation from that Committee. Students who do not submit such a letter should explain, in writing, why they have opted not to do so.

Applicants who have attended a school at which there is no Pre-Professional Advisory Committee must have at least two letters of recommendation from faculty members at that school. It is preferred that one of these letters be from a faculty member in the department of the applicant’s major, and the other from a science faculty member. If your major subject is science, it is preferred that the second letter be from a member of a science department different from the reference who is writing the first letter. Letters from teaching assistants will not satisfy this requirement, although TAs may co-sign letters with senior faculty." - This is the first two paragraphs of the page linked below.

Here is the link to the Einstein recommendation letter webpage
https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...ication-procedure/recommendation-letters.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone please post the secondaries for this school, I went back up to the 2014-2015 thread but couldn't really find it. I found a bunch of yes/no questions with 100 word decsriptions and I am assuming that they are not the secondaries as most of my answers to them would be a No.
Thanks

Can anyone please post the secondaries for this school, I went back up to the 2014-2015 thread but couldn't really find it. I found a bunch of yes/no questions with 100 word decsriptions and I am assuming that they are not the secondaries as most of my answers to them would be a No.
Thanks

I think those Y/N questions are the only things past applicants needed to answer for this school's secondary. What a relief right?? :highfive:

I think those Y/N questions are the only things past applicants needed to answer for this school's secondary. What a relief right?? :highfive:
Oh really but I saw someone saying that it was a lot of work. The explanations they have asked is only conditional and I dont think I need to be explaining more than a couple of those! But if that's all that is I am fine with it.:)

Reactions: 1 user
Oh really but I saw someone saying that it was a lot of work. The explanations they have asked is only conditional and I dont think I need to be explaining more than a couple of those! But if that's all that is I am fine with it.:)

They were being sarcastic. The Einstein secondary is nice and simple.

Thanks
For the most part you will answer "no" to most questions (if I remember correctly there was like 30 of them). The ones that apply to you require either 100 or 200 word answers. It is one of the simplest secondaries you will get.

What if I don't have a LOR from my major professor? Does that count against me? I have other good letters from my science professors (2), PI, and non-science professor. Also, I took my prereqs at a CC. How does Einstein look at that?

What if I don't have a LOR from my major professor? Does that count against me? I have other good letters from my science professors (2), PI, and non-science professor. Also, I took my prereqs at a CC. How does Einstein look at that?

Disclaimer: I am not a part of the admissions team and therefore this advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

So from the above paragraph that was posted on letters of recommendation, it doesn't say that you absolutely need to have a LOR from someone in the department of your major. It just says that it is preferred. Therefore I don't think if you submitted your application without this that it would exclude you from being accepted. It might count against you a little bit. However, I think the most important thing is that your letters be a good advocate for you. If you have amazing letters, I doubt that this one little thing will ruin those other amazing letters you have. If you have not so good letters, then maybe it will be more of a problem. I hope that makes sense.

As for community college this is a more difficult topic to discuss. In general, medical schools over the last couple of years have become more aware that people choose to go to the colleges they go to based on a number of factors (cost, location, opportunities, prestige, SAT scores, "fit", etc). There are some schools that have a reputation for not liking CC applicants (even if it was just for pre-reqs). To my knowledge Einstein is not one of these schools. Einstein may look at your CC grades and four year grades and see if they are comparable. If you did really well at both there is no reason for them to think that you couldn't do well in a medical school curriculum.

Hope it helps.

Disclaimer: I am not a part of the admissions team and therefore this advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

So from the above paragraph that was posted on letters of recommendation, it doesn't say that you absolutely need to have a LOR from someone in the department of your major. It just says that it is preferred. Therefore I don't think if you submitted your application without this that it would exclude you from being accepted. It might count against you a little bit. However, I think the most important thing is that your letters be a good advocate for you. If you have amazing letters, I doubt that this one little thing will ruin those other amazing letters you have. If you have not so good letters, then maybe it will be more of a problem. I hope that makes sense.

As for community college this is a more difficult topic to discuss. In general, medical schools over the last couple of years have become more aware that people choose to go to the colleges they go to based on a number of factors (cost, location, opportunities, prestige, SAT scores, "fit", etc). There are some schools that have a reputation for not liking CC applicants (even if it was just for pre-reqs). To my knowledge Einstein is not one of these schools. Einstein may look at your CC grades and four year grades and see if they are comparable. If you did really well at both there is no reason for them to think that you couldn't do well in a medical school curriculum.

Hope it helps.
Thanks! Thant helps! Did you have a letter from your major professor?

Thanks! Thant helps! Did you have a letter from your major professor?

I personally did have a letter from a professor in my major department. I also had a letter from a lab PI (who also happened to be in my major department) and I had a letter from a non-science faculty member.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally did have a letter from a professor in my major department. I also had a letter from a lab PI (who also happened to be in my major department) and I had a letter from a non-science faculty member.
I called them and the lady said that its a requirement and not a preference, lol. They need a letter from my major professor. Anybody willing to contest that? lol

I called them and the lady said that its a requirement and not a preference, lol. They need a letter from my major professor. Anybody willing to contest that? lol
I don't think anyone here would know for sure. You could go ahead and submit anyway since the information on the website is different, but maybe another school would be a better use of your money?

My school did not do committee letters so I sent two LORs from science professors, with one in my major.

Series of yes or no questions. Any ‘yes’ answer requires a brief 100-word explanation.

I have taken time off between high school and college
(Please explain your activities in detail, and your reasons for taking time off, and include dates)

I have taken time off during my undergraduate years
(Please explain your activities in detail, and your reasons for taking time off, and include dates)

I have taken off at least a year since college graduation

I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school.
(Please explain what you plan to do this year and please provide confirmation of your plans
when they are complete.)

I have taken and received credit for online courses
(Please note that the College does not accept online courses that are not offered by (as opposed to, approved by) your undergraduate or graduate institution. If you have taken online courses, please indicate what courses, where they were taken, and why you elected to take the courses online.)

I have worked part- or full-time, for pay, during the academic year while in college.
(Please indicate when you worked, e.g., freshman year, what months of the year you worked, and how many hours. Briefly describe the work you did.)

I have applied to medical school previously
(Please list schools and year of application, and tell us what actions you have taken to improve your application.)

I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously
(Please keep in mind that if you completed two prior applications, you are ineligible for reapplication.)
(Please indicate whether you completed the application process for Einstein, the year(s) you applied, and whether you were interviewed.)

I am presently enrolled in the Sue Golding Graduate Division
(Please indicate the year you enrolled, when you plan to take your qualifying examination, and the name of your mentor/department. It is required that your mentor write a letter of recommendation on your behalf.)

I am presently enrolled as an undergraduate student at Yeshiva University
(Please indicate the month and year that you will graduate.)

I had been accepted to medical school previously but chose not to matriculate
(Please indicate the name of the school, the year, and your reasons for not matriculating.)

I had been enrolled previously in a medical school
(Please indicate the name of the school, the dates of your enrollment, and your reason for leaving.)

I have not yet completed all of the competencies
(Please indicate what you are missing, and when and how you plan completion.)

I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate in medical school
(Please indicate why you will not have your Degree.)

I am presently holding a deferred enrollment to a medical/professional school
(Please indicate where you are holding a deferral and why you are applying to Einstein now.)

I have received a grade of “F” during my college/graduate school years
(Please indicate the name of the course and the reason for the failure.)

I have received a grade of “D” during my college/graduate school years
(Please indicate the name of the course and the reason for this grade.)

I have received a grade of “W” during my college/graduate school years

I have received a grade of “I” during my college/graduate school years

I have transferred from one college to another during my undergraduate years
(Please explain why you chose to transfer, and indicate the names of the colleges involved.)

I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did not result in a disciplinary action
(Please explain when, where and why.)

I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or an administrative action, expunged or not, while in school
(If yes, please answer the following questions.)
Expunged? No Yes

How many warnings did you receive prior to an action being placed on your record?
(Please explain how all of the above affected you.)

I have disciplinary charges pending
(Please explain in detail.)

I have been convicted of a crime

I expect that there will be criminal charges brought against me which are now pending

I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity due to or as a result of alleged misconduct

Is there anything at all that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions that might not be apparent from your AMCAS application or from you Secondary Application? (200 words)

These are the questions from last year. No one received secondaries yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Got the secondary! Really small word limits though.

So classic rookie error...I submitted my secondary and on the printout realized I had wrongly answered the question for average hours worked while in school and wrote 250 for the year instead of 13 for the week. I sent them an email correcting my error... Should I follow up with a TC? I worked as a research asst. at this school and it is one of my top choices...

So classic rookie error...I submitted my secondary and on the printout realized I had wrongly answered the question for average hours worked while in school and wrote 250 for the year instead of 13 for the week. I sent them an email correcting my error... Should I follow up with a TC? I worked as a research asst. at this school and it is one of my top choices...

I did the same thing but I'm about 99% sure I double checked the prompt prior to submission and it did in fact state average hours per year...

Am I the only one who didn't get this secondary yet? I've been verified for ages so I have no idea why everyone else would have gotten theirs and not me.

I didn't get a secondary and I've been verified for a while now :(

Am I the only one who didn't get this secondary yet? I've been verified for ages so I have no idea why everyone else would have gotten theirs and not me.
I haven't gotten one either. I've been verified for a while too, but didn't add AE to my app til late Friday night, don't know if that would make a difference. Either way, I'm not too worried yet, primaries have only been transmitted to schools for two business days

I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did not result in a disciplinary action

Is this just asking about an IA? Or like your RA gave you a noise complaint or you were caught torrenting?

My opinion: No.

Why not?

And what else to put? Maybe insert a secondary prompt answer from another school here?

Why not?

And what else to put? Maybe insert a secondary prompt answer from another school here?
My interpretation was that this was a spot to tell them unique things about your application that weren't appropriate to talk about elsewhere. For example if your brother died during your sophomore year and you got Cs in all of your classes that semester. That kind of thing.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong though and someone will disagree with me. But I think if they wanted to know "Why Einstein?", they would have asked.

FYI, just got the secondary invite now.

It was in fact for the YEAR on the app, but it says for the WEEK on the print out... not sure why. Mine says that as well. Can someone follow up with admissions? everyone is gonna have really skewed answers hahaa..

What is a TC?
Telephone Call.

It was in fact for the YEAR on the app, but it says for the WEEK on the print out... not sure why. Mine says that as well. Can someone follow up with admissions? everyone is gonna have really skewed answers hahaa..

The exact wording is on the online secondary is "How many hours during the school year did you work, on average?"

To anyone, is the photo upload mandatory? Does it specify if it is professional attire?

The exact wording is on the online secondary is "How many hours during the school year did you work, on average?"

To anyone, is the photo upload mandatory? Does it specify if it is professional attire?

During the school year doesn't necessarily mean hours per year, I'd stick with hours per week, even though they could be more explicit with that question.

I would upload a professional photo, even if it's optional. Definitely don't upload a candid or something from a bar. There's a thread about this happening right now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is no one else confused by how small the suggested photo size is? 125 px by 160 px (pixels right???) is tiny..... and very blurry if enlarged so that they can see our faces

The photo isn't optional - it wouldn't let me submit until I uploaded one.

Is no one else confused by how small the suggested photo size is? 125 px by 160 px (pixels right???) is tiny..... and very blurry if enlarged so that they can see our faces

Mine was pretty small too and blurry when enlarged but I figure that's the exact size they want since they have sub specific measurements.

I didn't get a secondary and I've been verified for a while now :(
Just got mine a couple hours ago and I've been verified since the 15th. Just keep waiting!

Secondary received and submitted! Grateful for this secondary.

EDIT: after reading this board I'm scared. I input my hours worked per week. Checked the submitted version of the secondary and it shows up as per week...was I supposed to have put per year? 25 hours per year is pretty weak and definitely not correct

My photo was actually me crouching next to a gorilla statue in Busch Gardens. I also got in and am matriculating this August. That said, please submit a professional photo (unless you really feel a candid photo would work better with your application)

Quick question, anyone who has submitted the secondary, is there any way to make sure that they got your LOR from AMCAS? I don't see anywhere to check the status to make sure your app is 100% complete.

Got my "complete" email today. Super relieved because last year it took them about two months to mark my app complete. Here's hoping they don't do the same thing to people this time around.

Quick question, anyone who has submitted the secondary, is there any way to make sure that they got your LOR from AMCAS? I don't see anywhere to check the status to make sure your app is 100% complete.
They'll send you an email when your app is complete.

For the parents section, do they mean biological parents or current guardians? Also, my mother got her B.S. degree in a foreign country...and I am the first one in my family to go to an US college. Should I put that I am the first to go to college?